that cousin of Jane's
2017-09-28 11:27:59 UTC
1) I am thinking about that window of the house that looks over the park.
2) I am thinking about that car of yours that is parked in front of the house.
3) I am thinking about that cousin of Jane that is a secretary.
4) I am thinking about that cousin of Jane's that is a secretary.

Which are grammatical?
Which are idiomatic?

Do any of them have a disparaging tone?

Gratefully,
Navi.
Peter T. Daniels
No.
Peter Young
2017-09-28 12:07:25 UTC
1) I am thinking about that window of the house that looks over the park.
2) I am thinking about that car of yours that is parked in front of the house.
3) I am thinking about that cousin of Jane that is a secretary.
4) I am thinking about that cousin of Jane's that is a secretary.
"who is" rather than "that is" in 2 and 4, please.

Peter.
(US equivalent: Certified Anesthesiologist) (AUE Pt)
http://pnyoung.orpheusweb.co.uk
Joe W Dee
2017-09-28 13:09:08 UTC
Post by Peter Young
Post by a***@gmail.com
1) I am thinking about that window of the house that looks over the park.
2) I am thinking about that car of yours that is parked in front of the house.
3) I am thinking about that cousin of Jane that is a secretary.
4) I am thinking about that cousin of Jane's that is a secretary.
"who is" rather than "that is" in 2 and 4, please.
Peter.
Shirley, a typo: 3 and 4.
--
Joe W Dee
Remember: It is To Laugh
AmE; northeast US, Boston/New York
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2017-09-28 13:12:36 UTC
Post by Peter Young
Post by a***@gmail.com
1) I am thinking about that window of the house that looks over the park.
2) I am thinking about that car of yours that is parked in front of the house.
3) I am thinking about that cousin of Jane that is a secretary.
4) I am thinking about that cousin of Jane's that is a secretary.
"who is" rather than "that is" in 2
I think you mean 3. Surely not "I am thinking about that car of yours
who is parked in front of the house".
Post by Peter Young
and 4, please.
There are people who don't like "that" to refer to a person (our
erstwhile poster Charles Riggs was one such), but I find it fine.
2017-09-28 12:31:24 UTC
1) I am thinking about that window of the house that looks over the park.
2) I am thinking about that car of yours that is parked in front of the house.
3) I am thinking about that cousin of Jane that is a secretary.
4) I am thinking about that cousin of Jane's that is a secretary.
Which are grammatical?
Which are idiomatic?
Do any of them have a disparaging tone?
I don't see how Peter Y. gets a "who is" into (2).

1) is grammatical, idiomatic, and non-disparaging.
2) likewise.
3) is ambiguous; we cannot tell if the "secretary" is Jane
or her cousin.
4) is fine. Change "that" to "who" if you want to; or leave
it stet.
Peter Young
Peter T. Daniels
I first read that as a kind of ping that is unclear.
Peter Young

Whiskers
2017-10-10 13:35:19 UTC
Post by Peter Young
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by a***@gmail.com
1) I am thinking about that window of the house that looks over the park.
2) I am thinking about that car of yours that is parked in front of the house.
3) I am thinking about that cousin of Jane that is a secretary.
4) I am thinking about that cousin of Jane's that is a secretary.
Which are grammatical?
Which are idiomatic?
Do any of them have a disparaging tone?
I don't see how Peter Y. gets a "who is" into (2).
By mistyping.
I first read that as a kind of ping that is unclear.
Would that be a 'boo'?
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
-- ~~~~~~~~~~
Peter Moylan
2017-10-11 01:55:36 UTC
Post by Peter Young
Post by Harrison Hill
I don't see how Peter Y. gets a "who is" into (2).
By mistyping.
I first read that as a kind of ping that is unclear.
I was feeling mistyping
But I didn't mean to ping you.
2017-10-11 09:29:33 UTC
Post by Peter Young
Post by Harrison Hill
I don't see how Peter Y. gets a "who is" into (2).
By mistyping.
I first read that as a kind of ping that is unclear.
I was feeling mistyping
[exercises more self-control than usual]
Post by Peter Moylan
But I didn't mean to ping you.
The presence of this syntax results from the fact that SQLite is really
a Tcl extension that has escaped into the wild.
<http://www.sqlite.org/lang_expr.html>
GordonD
2017-09-29 11:40:13 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by a***@gmail.com
1) I am thinking about that window of the house that looks over the park.
2) I am thinking about that car of yours that is parked in front of the house.
3) I am thinking about that cousin of Jane that is a secretary.
4) I am thinking about that cousin of Jane's that is a secretary.
Which are grammatical?
Which are idiomatic?
Do any of them have a disparaging tone?
I don't see how Peter Y. gets a "who is" into (2).
1) is grammatical, idiomatic, and non-disparaging.
2) likewise.
3) is ambiguous; we cannot tell if the "secretary" is Jane
or her cousin.
In that case I would say "...that cousin of Jane the secretary."
Post by Harrison Hill
4) is fine. Change "that" to "who" if you want to; or leave
it stet.
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2017-09-28 13:08:47 UTC
1) I am thinking about that window of the house that looks over the park.
2) I am thinking about that car of yours that is parked in front of the house.
3) I am thinking about that cousin of Jane that is a secretary.
4) I am thinking about that cousin of Jane's that is a secretary.
Which are grammatical?
All of them are acceptable, but all would be better with "the" instead
of the first "that".
Post by a***@gmail.com
Which are idiomatic?
4 better than 3, but all acceptable.
Post by a***@gmail.com
Do any of them have a disparaging tone?
In speech, possibly, but it would depend on the tone of voice.