Readers of what age would enjoy 'His dark materials'? (OT probably)
Add Reply
Peter Percival
2017-12-18 16:41:39 UTC
My apologies for what is probably an OT post, but what age range is
Pulman's 'His dark materials' aimed at? (Yes, folks, it's "what can I
buy my young relatives for Christmas?" time again.)
to me what you really mean.
2017-12-18 19:42:51 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
My apologies for what is probably an OT post, but what age range is
Pulman's 'His dark materials' aimed at?  (Yes, folks, it's "what can I
buy my young relatives for Christmas?" time again.)
Pullman (two LLs).

Probably from the age they start reading, although at that age they
won't probably understand it all.

However, websites citing parents and reviewers say age 10 upwards.
2017-12-18 20:27:34 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
My apologies for what is probably an OT post, but what age range is
Pulman's 'His dark materials' aimed at? (Yes, folks, it's "what can I
buy my young relatives for Christmas?" time again.)
Sister Mary Christabel (librarian of St. Hilda's & St. Hugh's) was very fond of
the trilogy and recommended it frequently. Eventually I broke down and bought it. I struggled through to the end of the first volume but never even considered
opening the second volume -- because it's lousy novel-writing. Every time he got
his characters into a fix, he just conjured up some new _deus ex machina_ to get
them out of it.

Too bad, because the concept of the animal-like Daemon was a good one.
Steve Hayes
2018-01-06 01:12:28 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
My apologies for what is probably an OT post, but what age range is
Pulman's 'His dark materials' aimed at? (Yes, folks, it's "what can I
buy my young relatives for Christmas?" time again.)
Lower end of the range about 9-11. I first read them about age 60+
Steve Hayes http://khanya.wordpress.com
Steve Hayes
2018-01-06 17:18:49 UTC
On Sat, 6 Jan 2018 01:12:28 -0000 (UTC), Steve Hayes
Post by Steve Hayes
Post by Peter Percival
My apologies for what is probably an OT post, but what age range is
Pulman's 'His dark materials' aimed at? (Yes, folks, it's "what can I
buy my young relatives for Christmas?" time again.)
Lower end of the range about 9-11. I first read them about age 60+
A friend has just told me there's a prequel, but he didn't think much
of it.
--
Steve Hayes
http://www.goodreads.com/hayesstw
http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf/Methodius
Pete
2018-01-09 20:46:03 UTC
Post by Steve Hayes
Post by Peter Percival
My apologies for what is probably an OT post, but what age range is
Pulman's 'His dark materials' aimed at? (Yes, folks, it's "what can I
buy my young relatives for Christmas?" time again.)
Lower end of the range about 9-11. I first read them about age 60+
Didn't see this thread until after Christmas, so I'm a bit late, but
I'd agree with Steve -- at least for the first two, which are glorious
fsntasy adventures. Sorry to say that the third one annoyed me rather.
The philosophy got a bit too wild, and I thought there was a blazing
great hole in the logic of the ending. (To explain that -- and be
sure I'm right! -- I'll have to manage to read it again sometime.)
Post by Steve Hayes
A friend has just told me there's a prequel, but he didn't think much
of it.
I requested that ("La Belle Sauvage") for Christmas, and I'm about
a third of the way through. I'm enjoying it thoroughly. And the BBC
report of the critics was hightly positive.

-- Pete --
Steve Hayes
2018-01-10 05:33:33 UTC
Post by Steve Hayes
Post by Peter Percival
My apologies for what is probably an OT post, but what age range is
Pulman's 'His dark materials' aimed at? (Yes, folks, it's "what can I
buy my young relatives for Christmas?" time again.)
Lower end of the range about 9-11. I first read them about age 60+
Didn't see this thread until after Christmas, so I'm a bit late, but
I'd agree with Steve -- at least for the first two, which are glorious
fsntasy adventures. Sorry to say that the third one annoyed me rather.
The philosophy got a bit too wild, and I thought there was a blazing
great hole in the logic of the ending. (To explain that -- and be
sure I'm right! -- I'll have to manage to read it again sometime.)
I recently re-read the first two books for the third time. Didn't
bother with the third -- I agree with your assessment of that. The
journey through the realm of the death has been done to death by
Virgil, Dante et al, and the rest of it is pretty boring too. The
wheeled creatures provided momentary interest, but didn't make up for
the rest of it.

And after dissing Christian asceticism most of the way through the
book, Pullman has Will and Lyra opt for something pretty similar to it
in the end, which struck me as a major inconsistency.
Post by Pete
Post by Steve Hayes
A friend has just told me there's a prequel, but he didn't think much
of it.
I requested that ("La Belle Sauvage") for Christmas, and I'm about
a third of the way through. I'm enjoying it thoroughly. And the BBC
report of the critics was hightly positive.
I'll check with my friend when he's finished it. Record of (some of)
our discussion here, if you're interested:

<URL:https://ondermynende.wordpress.com/2018/01/07/white-writing-dark-materials/>