Having just returned from the UK
2018-05-08 07:36:36 UTC

Having just returned from the UK (London, Brighton, Cardiff, Bristol,
Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen,
Exeter, Plymouth, St. Ivers), the only "acceptable" English accents
I heard there were of persons from

1) Cambridge
2) Maida Vale (near Lord's cricket ground)
3) High Wycombe (in Buckinghamshire)

The regional accents sounded gross to various degrees.

I didn't know I was so sensitive to accents.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-05-08 07:49:20 UTC
On 2018-05-08 07:36:36 +0000, Dingbat said:

> Having just returned from the UK (London, Brighton, Cardiff, Bristol,
> Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen,
> Exeter, Plymouth, St. Ivers), the only "acceptable" English accents
> I heard there were of persons from
>
> 1) Cambridge
> 2) Maida Vale (near Lord's cricket ground)
> 3) High Wycombe (in Buckinghamshire)

What on earth do you mean by "acceptable"? I'm surprised that you
didn't find Inverness "acceptable". By "St. Ivers" I suppose you mean
St. Ives, but which one: Cornwall or Cambridgeshire? Did all these
people find your accent acceptable?

> The regional accents sounded gross to various degrees.
>
> I didn't know I was so sensitive to accents.

It comes from practice. When I first lived in France I couldn't
recognize a Québécois accent, but now it sticks out like a sore thumb.

2018-05-08 08:23:21 UTC
On Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 1:19:23 PM UTC+5:30, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> On 2018-05-08 07:36:36 +0000, Dingbat said:

> > Having just returned from the UK (London, Brighton, Cardiff, Bristol,
> > Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen,
> > Exeter, Plymouth, St. Ivers), the only "acceptable" English accents
> > I heard there were of persons from
> >
> > 1) Cambridge
> > 2) Maida Vale (near Lord's cricket ground)
> > 3) High Wycombe (in Buckinghamshire)
>
> What on earth do you mean by "acceptable"?

Apart from comprehensible, also pucka, polished, etc.

> I'm surprised that you
> didn't find Inverness "acceptable".

English in Inverness 'not so fit for a Queen' | The Scotsman
https://www.scotsman.com/news/english-in-inverness-not-so-fit-for-a-queen-1-681868

> By "St. Ivers" I suppose you mean
> St. Ives, but which one: Cornwall or Cambridgeshire?

St. Ives, Cornwall.

> Did all these
> people find your accent acceptable?

The lady from Maida Vale and the gent from St Ives liked my accent.
The lady from Chichesgter, raised in Cambridge, didn't comment.

Dingbat
2018-05-08 12:34:19 UTC
On Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 1:19:23 PM UTC+5:30, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> On 2018-05-08 07:36:36 +0000, Dingbat said:

> > Having just returned from the UK (Cambridge, London, Brighton, Cardiff,
> > Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Inverness,
> > Aberdeen, Exeter, Plymouth, St. Ives), the only "acceptable" English
> > accents I heard there were of persons from

I've corrected the list of places I was in.

> > 1) Cambridge
> > 2) Maida Vale (near Lord's cricket ground)
> > 3) High Wycombe (in Buckinghamshire)
>
> What on earth do you mean by "acceptable"? I'm surprised that you
> didn't find Inverness "acceptable".

Inverness is supposed to speak the best English by virtue of having once
been highlanders with little influence from Scots. The same has been said
about Hanover speaking the best German by virtue of once having been low
German speakers with little influence from dialectal high German. Well,
the "best" English I heard was in Cambridge - the city (i.e., not
Cambridgeshire in general.)

> By "St. Ivers" I suppose you mean
> St. Ives, but which one: Cornwall or Cambridgeshire? Did all these
> people find your accent acceptable?
> >
> > The regional accents sounded gross to various degrees.
> >
> > I didn't know I was so sensitive to accents.
>
> It comes from practice. When I first lived in France I couldn't
> recognize a Québécois accent, but now it sticks out like a sore thumb.

When I heard "The Slug and Lettuce" as "The Sloggen Lettuce", I had enough
practice to know what the Mancunian (in this case) speaker was saying; I
just didn't find the pronunciation "acceptable".
Harrison Hill
2018-05-08 13:54:34 UTC
On Tuesday, 8 May 2018 13:34:22 UTC+1, Dingbat wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 1:19:23 PM UTC+5:30, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> > On 2018-05-08 07:36:36 +0000, Dingbat said:

> > > Having just returned from the UK (Cambridge, London, Brighton, Cardiff,
> > > Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Inverness,
> > > Aberdeen, Exeter, Plymouth, St. Ives), the only "acceptable" English
> > > accents I heard there were of persons from
>
> I've corrected the list of places I was in.
>
> > > 1) Cambridge
> > > 2) Maida Vale (near Lord's cricket ground)
> > > 3) High Wycombe (in Buckinghamshire)
> >
> > What on earth do you mean by "acceptable"? I'm surprised that you
> > didn't find Inverness "acceptable".
>
> Inverness is supposed to speak the best English by virtue of having once
> been highlanders with little influence from Scots.

You cannot be serious! The highlanders spoke Gaelic, not English.

Whiskers
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Harrison Hill <***@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
> On Tuesday, 8 May 2018 13:34:22 UTC+1, Dingbat wrote:
>> On Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 1:19:23 PM UTC+5:30, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
>> > On 2018-05-08 07:36:36 +0000, Dingbat said:

[...]

>> Inverness is supposed to speak the best English by virtue of having once
>> been highlanders with little influence from Scots.
>
> You cannot be serious! The highlanders spoke Gaelic, not English.

[...]

That could be why Inverness English managed not to be unduly
influenced by Scots, if the people who brought English to the
area weren't speaking Scots (or Doric).

--
^^^^^^^^^^
Whiskers

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Harrison Hill
2018-05-08 18:31:02 UTC

Erm...where did those people come from I wonder :)
Whiskers
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Harrison Hill <***@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
> On Tuesday, 8 May 2018 15:39:13 UTC+1, Whiskers Catwheezel wrote:
>> Harrison Hill <***@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
>>
>> [...]
>> >
>> > You cannot be serious! The highlanders spoke Gaelic, not English.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> That could be why Inverness English managed not to be unduly
>> influenced by Scots, if the people who brought English to the
>> area weren't speaking Scots (or Doric).
>
> Erm...where did those people come from I wonder :)

Texas? Or is that Aberdeen?

--
^^^^^^^^^^
Whiskers

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Peter Moylan
2018-05-09 06:27:56 UTC
On 09/05/18 04:31, Harrison Hill wrote:
> On Tuesday, 8 May 2018 15:39:13 UTC+1, Whiskers Catwheezel wrote:
>> Harrison Hill <***@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
>>
>> [...]
>>>
>>> You cannot be serious! The highlanders spoke Gaelic, not English.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> That could be why Inverness English managed not to be unduly
>> influenced by Scots, if the people who brought English to the
>> area weren't speaking Scots (or Doric).
>
> Erm...where did those people come from I wonder :)

English tourists.

2018-05-08 14:42:27 UTC
On Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 7:24:38 PM UTC+5:30, Harrison Hill wrote:
> On Tuesday, 8 May 2018 13:34:22 UTC+1, Dingbat wrote:

> > I've corrected the list of places I was in.

> > > What on earth do you mean by "acceptable"? I'm surprised that you
> > > didn't find Inverness "acceptable".
> >
> > Inverness is supposed to speak the best English by virtue of having once
> > been highlanders with little influence from Scots.
>
> You cannot be serious! The highlanders spoke Gaelic, not English.

... which made their English a 2nd language uninfluenced by dialects other
than their teachers' dialects.

b***@shaw.ca
2018-05-09 00:13:53 UTC
On Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 12:49:23 AM UTC-7, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> On 2018-05-08 07:36:36 +0000, Dingbat said:

> > Having just returned from the UK (London, Brighton, Cardiff, Bristol,
> > Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen,
> > Exeter, Plymouth, St. Ivers), the only "acceptable" English accents
> > I heard there were of persons from
> >
> > 1) Cambridge
> > 2) Maida Vale (near Lord's cricket ground)
> > 3) High Wycombe (in Buckinghamshire)
>
> What on earth do you mean by "acceptable"? I'm surprised that you
> didn't find Inverness "acceptable". By "St. Ivers" I suppose you mean
> St. Ives, but which one: Cornwall or Cambridgeshire? Did all these
> people find your accent acceptable?
> >
> > The regional accents sounded gross to various degrees.
> >
> > I didn't know I was so sensitive to accents.
>
> It comes from practice. When I first lived in France I couldn't
> recognize a Québécois accent, but now it sticks out like a sore thumb.

It's not acceptable to you?

2018-05-09 04:00:45 UTC

[variously unacceptable accents]

Maybe he meant "proudly".
Madrigal Gurneyhalt
2018-05-08 11:18:29 UTC
On Tuesday, 8 May 2018 08:36:38 UTC+1, Dingbat wrote:

> Having just returned from the UK (London, Brighton, Cardiff, Bristol,
> Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen,
> Exeter, Plymouth, St. Ivers), the only "acceptable" English accents
> I heard there were of persons from
>
> 1) Cambridge
> 2) Maida Vale (near Lord's cricket ground)
> 3) High Wycombe (in Buckinghamshire)
>
> The regional accents sounded gross to various degrees.

You must let us know the next time you're over. I've got
a brigade of pitchfork carriers I'd love you to meet!
Dingbat
2018-05-08 12:37:37 UTC
On Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 4:48:31 PM UTC+5:30, Madrigal Gurneyhalt wrote:
> On Tuesday, 8 May 2018 08:36:38 UTC+1, Dingbat wrote:
> >
> > Having just returned from the UK (London, Brighton, Cardiff, Bristol,
> > Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen,
> > Exeter, Plymouth, St. Ivers), the only "acceptable" English accents
> > I heard there were of persons from
> >
> > 1) Cambridge
> > 2) Maida Vale (near Lord's cricket ground)
> > 3) High Wycombe (in Buckinghamshire)
> >
> > The regional accents sounded gross to various degrees.
>
> You must let us know the next time you're over. I've got
> a brigade of pitchfork carriers I'd love you to meet!

Tut tut. The people were nice in general regardless of their accents;
you must have friends in the lowest places if you know so many
pitchfork wielders.
Whiskers
2018-05-08 13:10:54 UTC
On 2018-05-08, Dingbat <***@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Having just returned from the UK (London, Brighton, Cardiff, Bristol,
> Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen,
> Exeter, Plymouth, St. Ivers), the only "acceptable" English accents
> I heard there were of persons from
>
> 1) Cambridge
> 2) Maida Vale (near Lord's cricket ground)
> 3) High Wycombe (in Buckinghamshire)
>
> The regional accents sounded gross to various degrees.
>
> I didn't know I was so sensitive to accents.

The people from Cambridge Maida Vale and High Wycombe whose accents you
approved of, were almost certainly not speaking the regional accents
associated with those places. They would have been using something
close to whatever passes now for 'Received Pronunciation'.

I do hope you managed to have a good time. You certainly covered a lot
of territory - very nearly all of it!

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
-- ~~~~~~~~~~
Paul Carmichael
2018-05-08 14:26:57 UTC
On 08/05/18 15:10, Whiskers wrote:
> On 2018-05-08, Dingbat <***@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Having just returned from the UK (London, Brighton, Cardiff, Bristol,
>> Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen,
>> Exeter, Plymouth, St. Ivers), the only "acceptable" English accents
>> I heard there were of persons from
>>
>> 1) Cambridge
>> 2) Maida Vale (near Lord's cricket ground)
>> 3) High Wycombe (in Buckinghamshire)
>>
>> The regional accents sounded gross to various degrees.
>>
>> I didn't know I was so sensitive to accents.
>
> The people from Cambridge Maida Vale and High Wycombe whose accents you
> approved of, were almost certainly not speaking the regional accents
> associated with those places.

I lived in Bucks for quite some time and can tell you that the local accent is very strong
and rural. Oo arr. Admittedly there is a lot of overspill from the Smoke, so there's a bit
of various London accents as well.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/
https://asetrad.org
Sam Plusnet
2018-05-09 01:29:31 UTC
On 08-May-18 8:36, Dingbat wrote:

> Having just returned from the UK (London, Brighton, Cardiff, Bristol,
> Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen,
> Exeter, Plymouth, St. Ivers),

You seem to be having some serious difficulties with your SatNav system.

Where were you aiming for?

2018-05-09 02:23:56 UTC
On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 6:59:34 AM UTC+5:30, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 08-May-18 8:36, Dingbat wrote:
> >
> > Having just returned from the UK (Cambridge, Brighton, Cardiff, Bristol,
> > Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen,
> > Exeter, Plymouth, St. Ives, Portsmouth, Wight, London),
>
> You seem to be having some serious difficulties with your SatNav system.

I've made the list of UK places complete.

> Where were you aiming for?

Places other than London where I have been too many times. I flew to
Heathrow and went to Cambridge to see it and to be close to Stansted from
where I was to fly to the Continent. I returned from the Continent to
Manchester and stayed a few days in Liverpool. Using Liverpool as a base,
I made day trips to Manchester, Glasgow and Birmingham. I then took the
Caledonian Sleeper from Crewe to Inverness, a train to Aberdeen and the
Caledonian Sleeper to London Euston. I made my way to Paddington and took
a train to Cardiff and next to Bristol. Returning to Paddington, I took
the Night Riviera sleeper to St Erth and a branch line to St Ives. Next,
trains to Exeter and Plymouth and the Night Riviera back to Paddington.
I then stayed in Littlehampton near Brighton and using that as a base,
visited Portsmouth, Wight and London.
Harrison Hill
2018-05-09 07:00:15 UTC
On Wednesday, 9 May 2018 03:23:59 UTC+1, Dingbat wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 6:59:34 AM UTC+5:30, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> > On 08-May-18 8:36, Dingbat wrote:
> > >
> > > Having just returned from the UK (Cambridge, Brighton, Cardiff, Bristol,
> > > Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen,
> > > Exeter, Plymouth, St. Ives, Portsmouth, Wight, London),
> >
> > You seem to be having some serious difficulties with your SatNav system.
>
> I've made the list of UK places complete.
> >
> > Where were you aiming for?
> >
> Places other than London where I have been too many times. I flew to
> Heathrow and went to Cambridge to see it and to be close to Stansted from
> where I was to fly to the Continent. I returned from the Continent to
> Manchester and stayed a few days in Liverpool. Using Liverpool as a base,
> I made day trips to Manchester, Glasgow and Birmingham. I then took the
> Caledonian Sleeper from Crewe to Inverness, a train to Aberdeen and the
> Caledonian Sleeper to London Euston. I made my way to Paddington and took
> a train to Cardiff and next to Bristol. Returning to Paddington, I took
> the Night Riviera sleeper to St Erth and a branch line to St Ives. Next,
> trains to Exeter and Plymouth and the Night Riviera back to Paddington.
> I then stayed in Littlehampton near Brighton and using that as a base,
> visited Portsmouth, Wight and London.

You were wise to miss out Yorkshire. Unhalted "gurners" and "upper cleft":

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYvCIrX-Zlc>
Harrison Hill
2018-05-09 07:20:48 UTC
On Wednesday, 9 May 2018 08:00:18 UTC+1, Harrison Hill wrote:
> On Wednesday, 9 May 2018 03:23:59 UTC+1, Dingbat wrote:

> > > You seem to be having some serious difficulties with your SatNav system.
> >
> > I've made the list of UK places complete.
> > >
> > > Where were you aiming for?
> > >
> > Places other than London where I have been too many times. I flew to
> > Heathrow and went to Cambridge to see it and to be close to Stansted from
> > where I was to fly to the Continent. I returned from the Continent to
> > Manchester and stayed a few days in Liverpool. Using Liverpool as a base,
> > I made day trips to Manchester, Glasgow and Birmingham. I then took the
> > Caledonian Sleeper from Crewe to Inverness, a train to Aberdeen and the
> > Caledonian Sleeper to London Euston. I made my way to Paddington and took
> > a train to Cardiff and next to Bristol. Returning to Paddington, I took
> > the Night Riviera sleeper to St Erth and a branch line to St Ives. Next,
> > trains to Exeter and Plymouth and the Night Riviera back to Paddington.
> > I then stayed in Littlehampton near Brighton and using that as a base,
> > visited Portsmouth, Wight and London.
>
> You were wise to miss out Yorkshire. Unhalted "gurners" and "upper cleft":
>
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYvCIrX-Zlc>

Oops no, I see I have my roses muddled up, and Dawson was a red-rose
Mancunian. Here's a sad indictment of the English class system - which
you seem to have instinctively noticed, as we all do - from Les Dawson's
wiki page:

"Before his fame Dawson wrote poetry and kept it secret. It was not
expected that someone of his working-class background would have
literary ambitions. In a BBC Television documentary, he spoke of his
love for canonical figures in English literature, in particular the
19th century essayist Charles Lamb, whose florid style influenced
Dawson's".

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Dawson>