OT: the great moments in sport
2018-06-06 19:04:08 UTC
This is the record in a Brit sport or pastime.
Which are yours in your sport or pastime?

Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-06-06 20:24:19 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
This is the record in a Brit sport or pastime.
Which are yours in your sport or pastime?
Nobody cares.
Post by Harrison Hill
http://youtu.be/M3C7I5lRZII
2018-06-06 20:37:06 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
http://youtu.be/M3C7I5lRZII
Thank you very much lol
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-06-07 08:36:27 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
Post by Harrison Hill
This is the record in a Brit sport or pastime.
Which are yours in your sport or pastime?
Nobody cares.
Post by Harrison Hill
http://youtu.be/M3C7I5lRZII
Thank you very much lol
I was referring to your silly quiz, not to the video, about which I
have no opinion.
2018-06-07 11:11:31 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
This is the record in a Brit sport or pastime.
Which are yours in your sport or pastime?
http://youtu.be/M3C7I5lRZII
Er... did your mother never tell you about sports preferences and class,
Harrison?

snooker, darts, dog-races -- New Malden, Dagenham, East Ham
showjumping, hunting, polo -- RangeRovershire
Harrison Hill
2018-06-07 11:48:29 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
This is the record in a Brit sport or pastime.
Which are yours in your sport or pastime?
http://youtu.be/M3C7I5lRZII
Er... did your mother never tell you about sports preferences and class,
Harrison?
snooker, darts, dog-races -- New Malden, Dagenham, East Ham
showjumping, hunting, polo -- RangeRovershire
New Malden is Korean, and otherwise classless, so I wonder why you
pair it off with Dagenham or East Ham?

football, wrestling --
rugby, cricket, lacrosse, deck-quoits --

None of them have a "finest moment", that everyone can agree on, which
can be watched over and over.
Madrigal Gurneyhalt
2018-06-07 12:20:29 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by occam
Post by Harrison Hill
This is the record in a Brit sport or pastime.
Which are yours in your sport or pastime?
http://youtu.be/M3C7I5lRZII
Er... did your mother never tell you about sports preferences and class,
Harrison?
snooker, darts, dog-races -- New Malden, Dagenham, East Ham
showjumping, hunting, polo -- RangeRovershire
New Malden is Korean,
Say what now?
Harrison Hill
2018-06-07 12:26:09 UTC
Post by Madrigal Gurneyhalt
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by occam
Post by Harrison Hill
This is the record in a Brit sport or pastime.
Which are yours in your sport or pastime?
http://youtu.be/M3C7I5lRZII
Er... did your mother never tell you about sports preferences and class,
Harrison?
snooker, darts, dog-races -- New Malden, Dagenham, East Ham
showjumping, hunting, polo -- RangeRovershire
New Malden is Korean,
Say what now?
This link is to the Independent: "Choi, 49, is from North Korea and
escaped in 2007, risking his life. He now lives in New Malden, a
south-west London suburb, alongside 700 other North Koreans (the
largest population anywhere outside Korea) and several thousand
Southerners".

<https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/the-korean-republic-of-new-malden-how-surrey-became-home-to-the-70-year-old-conflict-10063055.html>
Harrison Hill
2018-06-08 15:50:03 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
This is the record in a Brit sport or pastime.
Which are yours in your sport or pastime?
http://youtu.be/M3C7I5lRZII
Er... did your mother never tell you about sports preferences and class,
Harrison?
snooker, darts, dog-races -- New Malden, Dagenham, East Ham
showjumping, hunting, polo -- RangeRovershire
It is interesting that you and athel mock my mother for laying
down all these "class markers"; but you have both had them laid out
for yourselves - by your mothers? How else would athel know about
"Enid Blyton" or you about snooker?

I read ("red") Enid Blyton to my children - thank you very much.
Typically: you step out into your garden and follow a creature down a
hollow tree, into a cavernous universe.

Rugby League, snooker, North Korean.
Rugby Union, billiards, South Korean.

I'm still not sure why - of all the suburbs in England you could have
chosen - you would pick out New Malden. Our slate "snooker table" had
porcelain billiard balls, but we preferred the plastic snooker balls.
Harrison Hill
2018-06-08 16:15:05 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by occam
Post by Harrison Hill
[...]
This would have done - Garfield Sobers and there must be others:

Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-06-08 16:36:01 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by occam
Post by Harrison Hill
This is the record in a Brit sport or pastime.
Which are yours in your sport or pastime?
http://youtu.be/M3C7I5lRZII
Er... did your mother never tell you about sports preferences and class,
Harrison?
snooker, darts, dog-races -- New Malden, Dagenham, East Ham
showjumping, hunting, polo -- RangeRovershire
It is interesting that you and athel mock my mother for laying
down all these "class markers"; but you have both had them laid out
for yourselves - by your mothers? How else would athel know about
"Enid Blyton" or you about snooker?
I've been losing hope that you're eventually going to supply evidence
for your statement on 17th May that "Athel will be looking out for
class markers," following your (wrong) claim that "'An ewe' is Good
BrE." Can we now conclude that that was not based on any evidence at
all, and was, by implication, a lie? Will you now withdraw it?
2018-06-08 17:08:43 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by occam
Post by Harrison Hill
[...]
The 17th May is a while ago.

"An ewe" is Good BrE". "An ewe" in "an historical" building which
is now "an hotel" is good BrE.
Madrigal Gurneyhalt
No. It isn't. It really, really, really isn't!
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-06-08 18:58:42 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by occam
Post by Harrison Hill
[...]
I don't care about ewes. I do care about your lying inferences about me.
2018-06-09 07:12:58 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by occam
Post by Harrison Hill
[...]
Presumably you are replying to me?

This thread has no "quiz" in it. It has no "inferences" about you,
lying or otherwise. If it has I apologise.

Some time ago, you played the Enid Blyton card on me, as "a class
marker" - one my mother would have recognised. Occam points out that
snooker is "working class". We can't help it. If we were working
class, we'd be at equal pains to ensure we never came across as
hoity-toity.
Peter Moylan
2018-06-10 15:55:20 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
"An ewe" is Good BrE". "An ewe" in "an historical" building which
is now "an hotel" is good BrE.
No. It isn't. It really, really, really isn't!
I must admit to severe puzzlement. What are these ewes doing in
istorical notels?
They're being ewesful, obviously. Where there's wool, there's a way.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-06-10 16:37:45 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
"An ewe" is Good BrE". "An ewe" in "an historical" building which
is now "an hotel" is good BrE.
No. It isn't. It really, really, really isn't!
I must admit to severe puzzlement. What are these ewes doing in
istorical notels?
They're being ewesful, obviously. Where there's wool, there's a way.
Incidentally, when did any of us last hear the word "ewe" in ordinary
conversation? It's not like "brebis", which is indeed an everyday word
in French, at least among people who like cheese.
Thursday! But I do live in a country market town.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-06-10 17:09:34 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
"An ewe" is Good BrE". "An ewe" in "an historical" building which
is now "an hotel" is good BrE.
No. It isn't. It really, really, really isn't!
I must admit to severe puzzlement. What are these ewes doing in
istorical notels?
They're being ewesful, obviously. Where there's wool, there's a way.
Incidentally, when did any of us last hear the word "ewe" in ordinary
conversation? It's not like "brebis", which is indeed an everyday word
in French, at least among people who like cheese.
Thursday! But I do live in a country market town.
OK, but in France you hear "brebis" often even if you live in a big
city with no agriculture (apart from vines) close by. In 2007 I went to
a meeting in Vichy that had some agricultural connexion (I forget
what): on the wall of the room where posters were displayed, mostly
relating to people's research but a few of a commercial nature. One of
the latter showed a big map on which the kinds of dairy cows
characteristic of the different départements were shown. Those along
the Mediterranean coast were a large grey blank. I know that neither
ewes nor brebis are cows, so don't bother to point it out, but I doubt
if the Mediterranean part of the map would have been different if it
had concerned sheep. No pigs or goats either, I think. Yesterday I did
see, or at least, the passengers in the same car did, a few sheep in
the desolate region adjacent to La Dynamite, but they're not common.