FAVOUR
Add Reply
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
2018-01-04 18:47:37 UTC
Another glaring example that limeys can't spell.
LOL
Peter Keller
2018-01-05 10:24:45 UTC
Post by Colonel Edmund J. Burke
Another glaring example that limeys can't spell.
LOL
"-or
word-forming element making nouns of quality, state, or condition, from
Middle English -our, from Old French -our (Modern French -eur), from
Latin -orem (nominative -or), a suffix added to past participle verbal
stems. Also in some cases from Latin -atorem (nominative -ator)."

So either seems to be correct.
https://www.etymonline.com/word/-or
Madrigal Gurneyhalt
2018-01-05 12:21:09 UTC
Post by Peter Keller
Post by Colonel Edmund J. Burke
Another glaring example that limeys can't spell.
LOL
"-or
word-forming element making nouns of quality, state, or condition, from
Middle English -our, from Old French -our (Modern French -eur), from
Latin -orem (nominative -or), a suffix added to past participle verbal
stems. Also in some cases from Latin -atorem (nominative -ator)."
So either seems to be correct.
https://www.etymonline.com/word/-or
The shift from -or to -our in BrE is part of the wider Romanticisation of English that took place in the 17th and 18th Centuries largely at the hand of posh Scots in Edinburgh whose admiration for the (alleged) purity of French simply knew no bounds. As their dictionaries were the only authorities available the spellings rapidly became 'correct'. Americans, free of such
influences, simply kept the spellings they had brought with them from 16th Century Britain.
Peter T. Daniels
2018-01-05 15:07:51 UTC
Post by Madrigal Gurneyhalt
Post by Peter Keller
[...]
(_almost_ the right century; the first settlements that "took" were 1607 [Virginia] and 1620 [Massachusetts])

Dr Johnson wasn't Scottish (something about oats, horses, men, and Boswell), and his was
the first dictionary that attempted to record all the words, not just the "hard" ones.
Madrigal Gurneyhalt
2018-01-05 17:36:55 UTC
Post by Peter Keller
[...]
Yeah, I meant to say '16th Century spellings' and mistakenly transferred the adjective to the wrong noun.

I suppose it would be fair to say that Johnson was the chief criminal in the Frenchifying of English spelling, the pompous ass. Indeed he even went so far as to 'correct' "error" to "errour" in his zeal. Oh the irony!
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
2018-01-05 17:38:28 UTC
Post by Peter Keller
Post by Colonel Edmund J. Burke
Another glaring example that limeys can't spell.
LOL
"-or
word-forming element making nouns of quality, state, or condition, from
Middle English -our, from Old French -our (Modern French -eur), from
Latin -orem (nominative -or), a suffix added to past participle verbal
stems. Also in some cases from Latin -atorem (nominative -ator)."
So either seems to be correct.
https://www.etymonline.com/word/-or
Apples and oranges, son.
But thanks for admitting you buck teeth can't spell.
Peter Keller
I made no such admission.
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
Are you calling Your Colonel a liar?
soup
2018-01-07 15:30:07 UTC
No, but he's calling you one.
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
2018-01-08 20:45:57 UTC
Don't quit yer day job, limey prick.
soup
2018-01-08 22:12:30 UTC
That supposes I have a day job and that I am a "limey".
Hansi Gehirn-Schaden
2018-01-07 18:01:55 UTC
https://tinyurl.com/yb3xdpf4

LoLoLoLoLoLoL!!!
James Wilkinson Sword
2018-01-10 02:24:38 UTC
Post by Colonel Edmund J. Burke
Another glaring example that limeys can't spell.
LOL
We can spell, Americans can't. They miss out half the letters because our words are too complicated for their little brains.
--
As we get older we sometimes begin to doubt our ability to "make a difference" in the world. It is at these times that our hopes are boosted by the remarkable achievements of other seniors who have found the courage to take on challenges that would make many of us wither.
"What do you do now that you're retired?"
It's rewarding, uplifting, satisfying and fulfilling. I do it every day and I really enjoy it." -- Harold Schlumberg
The Peeler
2018-01-10 11:11:32 UTC
On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 02:24:38 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),
Post by James Wilkinson Sword
Post by Colonel Edmund J. Burke
Another glaring example that limeys can't spell.
LOL
We can spell, Americans can't. They miss out half the letters because
our words are too complicated for their little brains.
You ARE aware that both, Brits and Yanks alike, and without ANY exception,
consider you a complete idiot, Birdbrain?
--
ItsJoanNotJoann addressing Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"You're an annoying troll and I'm done with you and your
stupidity."
MID: <e39a6a7f-9677-4e78-a866-***@googlegroups.com>
--
AndyW addressing Birdbrain:
"Troll or idiot?...
You have been presented with a viewpoint with information, reasoning,
historical cases, citations and references to back it up and wilfully
ignore all going back to your idea which has no supporting information."
MID: <KaToA.263621$***@fx10.am4>
--
Phil Lee adressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are too stupid to be wasting oxygen."
MID: <***@4ax.com>
--
Phil Lee describing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I've never seen such misplaced pride in being a fucking moronic motorist."
MID: <***@4ax.com>
--
Tony944 addressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I seen and heard many people but you are on top of list being first class
ass hole jerk. ...You fit under unconditional Idiot and should be put in
mental institution.
MID: <VLCdnYC5HK1Z4S3FnZ2dnUU7-***@giganews.com>
--
Pelican to Birdbrain Macaw:
"Ok. I'm persuaded . You are an idiot."
MID: <obru31$nao$***@dont-email.me>
--
DerbyDad03 addressing Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"Frigging Idiot. Get the hell out of my thread."
MID: <4d907253-b3b9-40d4-be4d-***@googlegroups.com>
--
Kerr Mudd-John about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"It's like arguing with a demented frog."
MID: <***@dell3100.workgroup>
--
Mr Pounder Esquire about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"the piss poor delivery boy with no hot running water, 11 cats and
several parrots living in his hovel."
MID: <odqtgc$iug$***@dont-email.me>
--
Rob Morley about Birdbrain:
"He's a perennial idiot"
MID: <***@Mars>
--
JoeyDee to Birdbrain
"I apologize for thinking you were a jerk. You're just someone with an IQ
lower than your age, and I accept that as a reason for your comments."
MID: <***@news.eternal-september.org>
--
Sam Plusnet about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson Sword" LOL):
"He's just desperate to be noticed. Any attention will do, no matter how
MID: <***@news.eternal-september.org>
--
Mr Pounder's fitting description of Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are a well known fool, a tosser, a pillock, a stupid unemployable
sponging failure who will always live alone and will die alone. You will not
be missed."
MID: <orree6$on2$***@dont-email.me>
--
Richard to pathetic wanker Hucker:
"You haven't bred?
Only useful thing you've done in your pathetic existence."
MID: <orvctf$l5m$***@gioia.aioe.org>
--
***@snyder.on.ca about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
""not the sharpest knife in the drawer"'s parents sure made a serious
mistake having him born alive -- A total waste of oxygen, food, space,
and bandwidth."
MID: <***@4ax.com>
--
Mr Pounder exposing sociopathic Birdbrain:
"You will always be a lonely sociopath living in a shithole with no hot