a word for the aged
h***@gmail.com
2017-08-12 18:42:40 UTC
In July, The Economist suggested that we need a word for productive people over 65. Some suggestions were: Geriactives, sunsetters, nightcappers, nyppies (Not Yet Past It), and owls (Older, Working Less).

Any other suggestions and opinions?
Peter Young
2017-08-12 18:47:35 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
In July, The Economist suggested that we need a word for productive
people over 65. Some suggestions were: Geriactives, sunsetters,
nightcappers, nyppies (Not Yet Past It), and owls (Older, Working
Less).
Any other suggestions and opinions?
Silver surfers. And I belong to a Brazilian Samba Drumming Group or
the over-fifties called the Silver Sambistas. We were fundraising for
Multiple Sclerosis and Cancer Research this afternoon.

Peter.
(US equivalent: Certified Anesthesiologist) (AUE Pt)
http://pnyoung.orpheusweb.co.uk
Harrison Hill
2017-08-12 20:21:54 UTC
Post by Peter Young
Post by h***@gmail.com
In July, The Economist suggested that we need a word for productive
people over 65. Some suggestions were: Geriactives, sunsetters,
nightcappers, nyppies (Not Yet Past It), and owls (Older, Working
Less).
Any other suggestions and opinions?
Silver surfers. And I belong to a Brazilian Samba Drumming Group or
the over-fifties called the Silver Sambistas. We were fundraising for
Multiple Sclerosis and Cancer Research this afternoon.
Peter.
You only have one video in YouTube, and that is several
years old. All modern mobiles have video/sound recording,
so any spectator can capture you.

Unless you have moved over to the sinister Dark Web :)

<https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Silver+Sambistas>
Peter Young
2017-08-12 20:59:34 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Peter Young
Post by h***@gmail.com
In July, The Economist suggested that we need a word for productive
people over 65. Some suggestions were: Geriactives, sunsetters,
nightcappers, nyppies (Not Yet Past It), and owls (Older, Working
Less).
Any other suggestions and opinions?
Silver surfers. And I belong to a Brazilian Samba Drumming Group or
the over-fifties called the Silver Sambistas. We were fundraising for
Multiple Sclerosis and Cancer Research this afternoon.
Peter.
You only have one video in YouTube, and that is several
years old. All modern mobiles have video/sound recording,
so any spectator can capture you.
Unless you have moved over to the sinister Dark Web :)
No, we have several videos, but they are password-protected for our
own tutorial use! We're better than we were , bit not that good. Yet!

Peter Moylan
2017-08-13 00:26:51 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Peter Young
Post by h***@gmail.com
In July, The Economist suggested that we need a word for productive
people over 65. Some suggestions were: Geriactives, sunsetters,
nightcappers, nyppies (Not Yet Past It), and owls (Older, Working
Less).
Any other suggestions and opinions?
Silver surfers. And I belong to a Brazilian Samba Drumming Group or
the over-fifties called the Silver Sambistas. We were fundraising for
Multiple Sclerosis and Cancer Research this afternoon.
You only have one video in YouTube, and that is several
years old. All modern mobiles have video/sound recording,
so any spectator can capture you.
A couple of weeks ago my wife used her mobile phone to record a singing
performance of mine at a party. Because I received congratulations on
that performance, I thought I might put the video on YouTube.

When I looked at the recording, I was shocked at the quality. The guitar
accompaniment was good, but the singing was atrocious. Now I'm left
wondering: was I really that bad, or was the fault in the phone?
2017-08-13 01:00:11 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Peter Young
Post by h***@gmail.com
[...]
I had to become Britney Spears for a song for charity,
a year or two ago. I resemble Britney very closely, and
I'm sure if you ask her, she will confirm that. The
schoolgirl uniform is more difficult however. It simply
doesn't fit me.

I've got the video however :) Somewhere :(
s***@gowanhill.com
2017-08-12 20:14:22 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
In July, The Economist suggested that we need a word for productive
people over 65.
Pwops.

People without pensions. Or pwoops. People without occupational pensions.

Or pwsans (pronounced poussins). People without superannuation schemes.

Scinties. Senior citizens now trying in employment situations.

Owain
b***@aol.com
2017-08-13 01:19:46 UTC
Post by s***@gowanhill.com
Post by h***@gmail.com
In July, The Economist suggested that we need a word for productive
people over 65.
Pwops.
People without pensions. Or pwoops.
This could maliciously double as "p(w)oops" for those suffering from
incontinence (something not uncommon at these ages, alas).

Owain
Dingbat
2017-08-13 05:14:48 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
In July, The Economist suggested that we need a word for productive people over 65. Some suggestions were: Geriactives, sunsetters, nightcappers, nyppies (Not Yet Past It), and owls (Older, Working Less).
Any other suggestions and opinions?
How about 'working seniors' in US English?

A 'home for the aged', in India, tends to be for destitute people with one foot
in the grave.

My brother, when he started his career as an assistant professor, got a
student evaluation saying, 'Started out green, but aged like a fine wine
over the semester.'
Cheryl
2017-08-13 09:48:43 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Post by h***@gmail.com
In July, The Economist suggested that we need a word for productive people over 65. Some suggestions were: Geriactives, sunsetters, nightcappers, nyppies (Not Yet Past It), and owls (Older, Working Less).
Any other suggestions and opinions?
How about 'working seniors' in US English?
A 'home for the aged', in India, tends to be for destitute people with one foot
in the grave.
My brother, when he started his career as an assistant professor, got a
student evaluation saying, 'Started out green, but aged like a fine wine
over the semester.'
"Working seniors" sounds OK to me, but the whole thing sounds like a
kind of slippery issue. A lot - maybe most of recent retirees I know -
take paid work, usually but not always part-time, unless of course they
retired for medical reasons or become ill right after retirement. Most
of the rest seem to take up so many hobby and volunteer activities that
they assure those of use who are still working that they are more active
than ever. Only those who are ill and/or very old and frail as well as
retired seem to be non-productive, either financially or through doing
volunteer work or work around the house. It would seem that the default
assumption should be that people over 65 are productive to some degree
or other, although they probably won't be employed full time.
Cheryl
Mark Brader
2017-08-13 07:13:23 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
In July, The Economist suggested that we need a word for productive
people over 65. Some suggestions...
Any other suggestions and opinions?
I suggest that we don't.
--
Mark Brader "I'm not Richard, either.
Toronto Oh, wait: I am! Lucky me!"
***@vex.net --Richard R. Hershberger
Whiskers
2017-08-13 12:26:00 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
In July, The Economist suggested that we need a word for productive
people over 65. Some suggestions...
Any other suggestions and opinions?
I suggest that we don't.
Good idea.
--
-- Whiskers
CDB
2017-08-13 16:14:29 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
In July, The Economist suggested that we need a word for productive people over 65. Some suggestions were: Geriactives, sunsetters, nightcappers, nyppies (Not Yet Past It), and owls (Older, Working Less).
Any other suggestions and opinions?
Gongruns. "There's the gong, must run."