poo
John & Carol Benney
2012-06-17 15:06:11 UTC
This word seems to be used several times in any given issue of
the Times. The last time I visited my doctor's surgery, there it
was in an informational presentation about bowel cancer.

I expect we all know quite a few synonyms for it, so why this
almost invariable use of the most childish word?

Gilbert Basset
a***@general-cathexis.com
My guess is that the presentation was composed for an audience that possibly includes children. Doing a quick Google search, I could not find any papers published in medical journals with the word "poo" in them.
aquachimp
2012-06-17 16:49:27 UTC
Post by John & Carol Benney
This word seems to be used several times in any given issue of
the Times.   The last time I visited my doctor's surgery, there it
was in an informational presentation about bowel cancer.
I expect we all know quite a few synonyms for it, so why this
almost invariable use of the most childish word?
Gilbert Basset
My guess is that the presentation was composed for an audience that possibly includes children.  Doing a quick Google search, I could not find any papers published in medical journals with the word "poo" in them.
I've seen "pooples" written in place of "people" .. but I'm guessing
that doesn't help you much.
tony cooper
2012-06-17 17:48:40 UTC
On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 09:26:52 -0700 (PDT),
Post by a***@general-cathexis.com
Post by John & Carol Benney
This word seems to be used several times in any given issue of
the Times. The last time I visited my doctor's surgery, there it
was in an informational presentation about bowel cancer.
I expect we all know quite a few synonyms for it, so why this
almost invariable use of the most childish word?
Gilbert Basset
My guess is that the presentation was composed for an audience that possibly includes children. Doing a quick Google search, I could not find any papers published in medical journals with the word "poo" in them.
Just yesterday I took the grandchildren to a zoo. There was a big
display about how the animal "poo" - tons of it - was treated.

It makes sense to use "poo" where children might read it. If English
tots read the Times and watch videos on bowel cancer, it's
appropriate. If not, a less childish term would be appropriate.
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Snidely
2012-06-17 18:12:45 UTC
Post by John & Carol Benney
This word seems to be used several times in any given issue of
the Times. The last time I visited my doctor's surgery, there it
was in an informational presentation about bowel cancer.
I expect we all know quite a few synonyms for it, so why this
almost invariable use of the most childish word?
Gilbert Basset
My guess is that the presentation was composed for an audience that possibly
includes children. Doing a quick Google search, I could not find any papers
published in medical journals with the word "poo" in them.
Just yesterday I took the grandchildren to a zoo. There was a big
display about how the animal "poo" - tons of it - was treated.
It makes sense to use "poo" where children might read it. If English
tots read the Times and watch videos on bowel cancer, it's
appropriate. If not, a less childish term would be appropriate.
but it takes so long to type "fecal matter".

/dps "they do, don't they?"
Who, me? And what lacuna?
Garrett Wollman
2012-06-18 04:16:17 UTC
Post by tony cooper
Just yesterday I took the grandchildren to a zoo. There was a big
display about how the animal "poo" - tons of it - was treated.
I think it was the Metro Toronto Zoo (which must have some other name
by now, can't be bothered to look it up) that composted its animal
waste and sold the result in supermarkets and garden centers under the
brand name "Zoopoo". I assume this is a common practice (perhaps
under a different name) at large zoos everywhere, as other ways of
disposing of excement are non-revenue-generating.

-GAWollman
--
Garrett A. Wollman | What intellectual phenomenon can be older, or more oft
***@bimajority.org| repeated, than the story of a large research program
my employers. | accepted by all practitioners? - S.J. Gould, 1993
Mark Brader
2012-06-18 18:42:54 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
I think it was the Metro Toronto Zoo (which must have some other name
by now, can't be bothered to look it up)
Logically enough, it's just the Toronto Zoo now.
Post by Garrett Wollman
that composted its animal waste and sold the result in supermarkets
and garden centers under the brand name "Zoopoo". I assume this
is a common practice (perhaps under a different name) at large
zoos everywhere, as other ways of disposing of excement are
non-revenue-generating.
This was a plot element in "The Penguin Who Knew Too Much" one of
Donna Andrews's hilarious Meg Langslow series of murder mysteries.
--
Mark Brader "So the American government went to IBM
Toronto to come up with a data encryption standard
***@vex.net and they came up with...?" "EBCDIC!"
Robert Bannister
2012-06-19 03:29:55 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by tony cooper
Just yesterday I took the grandchildren to a zoo. There was a big
display about how the animal "poo" - tons of it - was treated.
I think it was the Metro Toronto Zoo (which must have some other name
by now, can't be bothered to look it up) that composted its animal
waste and sold the result in supermarkets and garden centers under the
brand name "Zoopoo". I assume this is a common practice (perhaps
under a different name) at large zoos everywhere, as other ways of
disposing of excement are non-revenue-generating.
I thought all zoos used the name "Zoo Poo" and I doubt they could give a
flying poo about whether anyone has trademarked it because it's been
going on for so long.
Robert Bannister
Peter Brooks
2012-06-17 18:13:52 UTC
Post by John & Carol Benney
This word seems to be used several times in any given issue of
the Times.   The last time I visited my doctor's surgery, there it
was in an informational presentation about bowel cancer.
I expect we all know quite a few synonyms for it, so why this
almost invariable use of the most childish word?
Gilbert Basset
My guess is that the presentation was composed for an audience that possibly includes children.  Doing a quick Google search, I could not find any papers published in medical journals with the word "poo" in them.
One of the enjoyable scenes in Jo Brand's excellently black series
about the NHS involves doing a text substitution of "fæcal" and
'fæces" with 'ploppies' in an academic paper.
Peter Duncanson (BrE)
2012-06-17 19:36:45 UTC
On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 16:06:11 +0100, "John & Carol Benney"
Post by John & Carol Benney
This word seems to be used several times in any given issue of
the Times. The last time I visited my doctor's surgery, there it
was in an informational presentation about bowel cancer.
I expect we all know quite a few synonyms for it, so why this
almost invariable use of the most childish word?
Gilbert Basset
Possibly because the alternatives are either too technical or
potentially offensive.

The word "poo" is well-known and understood, and, perhaps because it is
childish in origin, less potentially offensive than "crap" or "shit".
"Faeces" is probably too technical to be generally understood, and
"excrement" perhaps fails on both counts: not widely known and
potentially offensive.

Of other near-synonyms we don't use the words "dung" and "manure" when
talking about human excrement.
--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)
R H Draney
2012-06-17 19:41:26 UTC
Post by John & Carol Benney
This word seems to be used several times in any given issue of
the Times. The last time I visited my doctor's surgery, there it
was in an informational presentation about bowel cancer.
I expect we all know quite a few synonyms for it, so why this
almost invariable use of the most childish word?
Possibly because the alternatives are either too technical or
potentially offensive.
The word "poo" is well-known and understood, and, perhaps because it is
childish in origin, less potentially offensive than "crap" or "shit".
"Faeces" is probably too technical to be generally understood, and
"excrement" perhaps fails on both counts: not widely known and
potentially offensive.
Of other near-synonyms we don't use the words "dung" and "manure" when
talking about human excrement.
Given the context, where fecal matter is being discussed as an indicator of
bowel health, I'd expect to see "stool"....r
--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.
Peter Duncanson (BrE)
2012-06-17 21:03:41 UTC
Post by John & Carol Benney
[...]
That is the medical term that I came across first. It's use seems to be
mainly confined to medical circles in the UK.

If it were to be used in the sort of public information the OP mentioned
there would need to be a definition of the word. It seems to me likely
that the most widely understood and least offensive way of defining
"stool" would be "poo".

In presenting information about a condition there's a lot to be said for
not distracting the reader or listener from the message by the avoidable
use of unfamiliar terms.

However, you can't please all of the people all of the time. In this
instance the OP seems to have been distracted by the use of "poo".
--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)
Pablo
2012-06-20 12:02:21 UTC
Post by Peter Duncanson (BrE)
Post by R H Draney
Given the context, where fecal matter is being discussed as an indicator
of bowel health, I'd expect to see "stool"....r
That is the medical term that I came across first. It's use seems to be
mainly confined to medical circles in the UK.
To be precise, "stool sample" is what they request when one displays
symptoms of having eaten Chinese food in a less than clean establishment.
Pablo
Peter Moylan
2012-06-21 13:07:05 UTC
Post by Pablo
Post by Peter Duncanson (BrE)
Post by R H Draney
Given the context, where fecal matter is being discussed as an indicator
of bowel health, I'd expect to see "stool"....r
That is the medical term that I came across first. It's use seems to be
mainly confined to medical circles in the UK.
To be precise, "stool sample" is what they request when one displays
symptoms of having eaten Chinese food in a less than clean establishment.
For no particular reason, I seem to associate "stool" with something a
bit more solid than what you're describing.
--
Peter Moylan, Newcastle, NSW, Australia. http://www.pmoylan.org
For an e-mail address, see my web page.
R H Draney
2012-06-21 17:43:02 UTC
Post by Peter Moylan
Post by Pablo
Post by Peter Duncanson (BrE)
Post by R H Draney
Given the context, where fecal matter is being discussed as an indicator
of bowel health, I'd expect to see "stool"....r
That is the medical term that I came across first. It's use seems to be
mainly confined to medical circles in the UK.
To be precise, "stool sample" is what they request when one displays
symptoms of having eaten Chinese food in a less than clean establishment.
For no particular reason, I seem to associate "stool" with something a
bit more solid than what you're describing.
I tend to agree, but given the advertising and other advise for "fixing"
problems with elimination, it seems that what most people consider "normal" is
what you and I might call "raging diarrhea"....r
--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.
James Silverton
2012-06-21 20:59:02 UTC
Post by R H Draney
Post by Peter Moylan
Post by Pablo
Post by Peter Duncanson (BrE)
Post by R H Draney
Given the context, where fecal matter is being discussed as an indicator
of bowel health, I'd expect to see "stool"....r
That is the medical term that I came across first. It's use seems to be
mainly confined to medical circles in the UK.
To be precise, "stool sample" is what they request when one displays
symptoms of having eaten Chinese food in a less than clean establishment.
For no particular reason, I seem to associate "stool" with something a
bit more solid than what you're describing.
I tend to agree, but given the advertising and other advise for "fixing"
problems with elimination, it seems that what most people consider "normal" is
what you and I might call "raging diarrhea"....r
Or "Montezuma's Revenge".
--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Peter Duncanson (BrE)
2012-06-17 21:06:55 UTC
Post by John & Carol Benney
[...]
Am I right in thinking that in AmE "poop" is the word for BrE "poo"?
--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)
Ian Jackson
2012-06-17 21:28:52 UTC
Post by Peter Duncanson (BrE)
Post by John & Carol Benney
[...]
In the 1940s, "poop"*, "pappa" - stress on the papp) - and even just
"pap" - were certainly around in NE England. I first time I became aware
of "poo" (usually known as "big poo") was in the late 60s, when some
friends had a baby. I think it was an attempt to make it 'posh'.
*Same word "poep" in Dutch.
Ian
tony cooper
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2012-06-17 23:40:49 UTC
Post by Peter Duncanson (BrE)
Post by John & Carol Benney
[...]
Thank you.
--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)
R H Draney
2012-06-18 00:47:34 UTC
Post by Peter Duncanson (BrE)
Am I right in thinking that in AmE "poop" is the word for BrE "poo"?
Both are used.
Allowing countless variations on a theme:

http://awkwardnames.com/post/16827729677/pooh-spreaders
http://awkwardnames.com/post/12285869582/hug-n-go-pooh
http://awkwardnames.com/post/24016060281/clay-modeling-with-pooh

....r
--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.
Mike L
2012-06-18 22:09:41 UTC
Post by John & Carol Benney
This word seems to be used several times in any given issue of
the Times. The last time I visited my doctor's surgery, there it
was in an informational presentation about bowel cancer.
I expect we all know quite a few synonyms for it, so why this
almost invariable use of the most childish word?
Gilbert Basset
Possibly because the alternatives are either too technical or
potentially offensive.
The word "poo" is well-known and understood, and, perhaps because it is
childish in origin, less potentially offensive than "crap" or "shit".
"Faeces" is probably too technical to be generally understood, and
"excrement" perhaps fails on both counts: not widely known and
potentially offensive.
Of other near-synonyms we don't use the words "dung" and "manure" when
talking about human excrement.
I think it's part of the campaign to treat the population as dimwitted
children. "Poo" (they won't even give us credit for knowing how to
spell "pooh") is media-wide now. There was never any difficulty in
understanding "dung" or "droppings" for animal shit; and I reckon
anybody who needs baby-talk on a health poster probably can't read the
words "bowel" or "cancer" anyway, so why not stick with "faeces" when
it's the human product?
Mike.
Evan Kirshenbaum
2012-06-19 00:48:14 UTC
Post by John & Carol Benney
[...]
I'd say that "poo" is pretty much the standard spelling in the US.
In the OED, four of the six quotations as a mass noun and all four of
the quotations as a count noun are "poo".
Post by Mike L
is media-wide now. There was never any difficulty in understanding
"dung" or "droppings" for animal shit; and I reckon anybody who
needs baby-talk on a health poster probably can't read the words
"bowel" or "cancer" anyway, so why not stick with "faeces" when it's
the human product?
Or "stool" or "excrement" or "solid waste" or "excreta" or any of the
other terms that people don't tend to actually use when talking about
the stuff.

We don't know the context in which it was seen (other than that it was
at a doctor's office), but I suspect that you have essentially three
choices for talking about it:

1. You can use a Very Formal Technical Medical Term, conveying a
Very Formal Medical Situation in which We Are The Experts. And
possibly scaring the [pick your term] out of patients.

2. You can use an "adult" term, like "shit" or "crap", and risk
offending patients who (even though they may use a different
adult term) regard the one you chose as offensive.

3. You can use a "childish" term, like "poo" or "poop", and hide
behind "Yeah, I know, but we can't risk offending people with
more delicate sensibilities than yours".
Still with HP Labs |You cannot solve problems with the
SF Bay Area (1982-) |same type of thinking that created
Chicago (1964-1982) |them.
***@gmail.com

http://www.kirshenbaum.net/
Lewis
2012-06-19 01:38:47 UTC
Post by John & Carol Benney
[...]
Yes, because Pooh is the name of a bear of little brain.
--
'I thought dwarfs didn't believe in devils and demons and stuff like
that.' 'That's true, but... we're not sure if they know.'
Hamburgers. The cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast.
Robert Bannister
2012-06-19 03:31:53 UTC
Post by Lewis
Yes, because Pooh is the name of a bear of little brain.
Who acquired his name because he got wet and stank for a while.
Robert Bannister
tony cooper
2012-06-19 01:51:35 UTC
Post by John & Carol Benney
[...]
Today's "Baldo" cartoon strip speaks of this subject:
http://www.gocomics.com/baldo/ (June 18th strip, if it changes before
the link is opened.

Isn't it strange how often a word discussed here appears in a comic
strip within a day or two?
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
R H Draney
2012-06-19 04:30:24 UTC
Post by tony cooper
http://www.gocomics.com/baldo/ (June 18th strip, if it changes before
the link is opened.
Isn't it strange how often a word discussed here appears in a comic
strip within a day or two?
I decided some time ago that all the comics artists lurk in AUE....r
--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.
Rich Ulrich
2012-06-19 16:34:50 UTC
Post by R H Draney
Post by tony cooper
http://www.gocomics.com/baldo/ (June 18th strip, if it changes before
the link is opened.
Isn't it strange how often a word discussed here appears in a comic
strip within a day or two?
I decided some time ago that all the comics artists lurk in AUE....r
But the link must be deeper than "read in AUE, draw the comic."

The strips published in newspaper are prepared
many days in advance.
Rich Ulrich
Katy Jennison
2012-06-19 16:50:18 UTC
Post by Rich Ulrich
Post by R H Draney
Post by tony cooper
http://www.gocomics.com/baldo/ (June 18th strip, if it changes before
the link is opened.
Isn't it strange how often a word discussed here appears in a comic
strip within a day or two?
I decided some time ago that all the comics artists lurk in AUE....r
But the link must be deeper than "read in AUE, draw the comic."
The strips published in newspaper are prepared
many days in advance.
Morphic resonance.
Katy Jennison
Pablo
2012-06-20 11:54:33 UTC
Post by R H Draney
Post by tony cooper
http://www.gocomics.com/baldo/ (June 18th strip, if it changes before
the link is opened.
Isn't it strange how often a word discussed here appears in a comic
strip within a day or two?
I decided some time ago that all the comics artists lurk in AUE....r
Those subscribed to the motorised bicycle group are convinced that the bike-
mag journos all lurk there. They have actually proved it, if I remember
correctly. Started some spoof story or other which promptly appeared in the
bike press, but I don't remember the details.
Pablo
R H Draney
2012-06-20 15:33:37 UTC
Post by Pablo
Post by R H Draney
Post by tony cooper
http://www.gocomics.com/baldo/ (June 18th strip, if it changes before
the link is opened.
Isn't it strange how often a word discussed here appears in a comic
strip within a day or two?
I decided some time ago that all the comics artists lurk in AUE....r
Those subscribed to the motorised bicycle group are convinced that the bike-
mag journos all lurk there. They have actually proved it, if I remember
correctly. Started some spoof story or other which promptly appeared in the
bike press, but I don't remember the details.
I've had two of my own jokes stolen by the cartoonists who do "B.C."...at one
time I could establish, via my internet service provider, three years precedence
for the one where one caveman is eating chicken and the other asks him what it
tastes like....r
--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.
Peter Moylan
2012-06-18 12:54:57 UTC
Post by John & Carol Benney
This word seems to be used several times in any given issue of
the Times. The last time I visited my doctor's surgery, there it
was in an informational presentation about bowel cancer.
I expect we all know quite a few synonyms for it, so why this
almost invariable use of the most childish word?
Probably because a lot of people have trouble spelling "faeces".
Garrett Wollman
2012-06-18 17:50:03 UTC
Post by Peter Moylan
Probably because a lot of people have trouble spelling "faeces".
No problem in AmE which has dispensed with the silent "a".

-GAWollman
R H Draney
2012-06-18 21:35:51 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Peter Moylan
Probably because a lot of people have trouble spelling "faeces".
No problem in AmE which has dispensed with the silent "a".
And then there are those who are still looking for the Æ on their
keyboards....r
--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.
tony cooper
2012-06-18 21:54:56 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Peter Moylan
Probably because a lot of people have trouble spelling "faeces".
No problem in AmE which has dispensed with the silent "a".
And then there are those who are still looking for the Æ on their
keyboards....r
I'm still looking for the anykey to continue.
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Adam Funk
2012-06-19 17:00:37 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Peter Moylan
Probably because a lot of people have trouble spelling "faeces".
No problem in AmE which has dispensed with the silent "a".
And then there are those who are still looking for the Æ on their
keyboards....r
I've got that, just not on one key: compose + "A" + "E".
--
There's a statute of limitations with the law, but not with
your wife. [Ray Magliozzi, Car Talk 2011-36]
Pablo
2012-06-20 11:50:01 UTC
Post by Adam Funk
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Peter Moylan
Probably because a lot of people have trouble spelling "faeces".
No problem in AmE which has dispensed with the silent "a".
And then there are those who are still looking for the Æ on their
keyboards....r
I've got that, just not on one key: compose + "A" + "E".
Not on mine, but I do have Ç and Ñ. Which is nice.
Pablo
Adam Funk
2012-06-20 20:33:22 UTC
Post by Pablo
Post by Adam Funk
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Peter Moylan
Probably because a lot of people have trouble spelling "faeces".
No problem in AmE which has dispensed with the silent "a".
And then there are those who are still looking for the Æ on their
keyboards....r
I've got that, just not on one key: compose + "A" + "E".
Not on mine, but I do have Ç and Ñ. Which is nice.
If (as I suspect) you're using a GNU/Linux system, you can edit your
~/.XCompose file to import the standard one & add your own
customizations.

http://blog.cyberborean.org/2008/01/06/compose-key-magic
--
No right of private conversation was enumerated in the Constitution.
I don't suppose it occurred to anyone at the time that it could be
prevented. [Whitfield Diffie]
Frank S
2012-06-20 21:13:28 UTC
Post by Adam Funk
Post by Pablo
Post by Adam Funk
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Peter Moylan
Probably because a lot of people have trouble spelling "faeces".
No problem in AmE which has dispensed with the silent "a".
And then there are those who are still looking for the Æ on their
keyboards....r
I've got that, just not on one key: compose + "A" + "E".
Not on mine, but I do have Ç and Ñ. Which is nice.
If (as I suspect) you're using a GNU/Linux system, you can edit your
~/.XCompose file to import the standard one & add your own
customizations.
http://blog.cyberborean.org/2008/01/06/compose-key-magic
æ Æ

Ctrl a e , Ctrl AE , from allchars.zwolnet.com , freeware.
Frank ess
Adam Funk
2012-06-18 18:49:21 UTC
Post by Peter Moylan
Post by John & Carol Benney
This word seems to be used several times in any given issue of
the Times. The last time I visited my doctor's surgery, there it
was in an informational presentation about bowel cancer.
I expect we all know quite a few synonyms for it, so why this
almost invariable use of the most childish word?
Probably because a lot of people have trouble spelling "faeces".
This reminds me of a _Viz_ cartoon of a doctor's waiting room with a
poster that says "SHITTING IS GOOD FOR YOU".
--
The internet is quite simply a glorious place. Where else can you find
bootlegged music and films, questionable women, deep seated xenophobia
and amusing cats all together in the same place? [Tom Belshaw]
Robert Bannister
2012-06-19 03:32:33 UTC
Post by Peter Moylan
Post by John & Carol Benney
This word seems to be used several times in any given issue of
the Times. The last time I visited my doctor's surgery, there it
was in an informational presentation about bowel cancer.
I expect we all know quite a few synonyms for it, so why this
almost invariable use of the most childish word?
Probably because a lot of people have trouble spelling "faeces".
Are there plaeces for faeces?
Robert Bannister
a***@general-cathexis.com
2012-06-18 15:29:20 UTC
Even more remarkably, IMO, MDs almost invariably say "fluid" when they mean liquid or non-alcoholic beverage, e.g., "Drink plenty of fluids." In physics, "fluid" refers to gas, liquid or plasma. Thus, MDs needlessly use a very ambiguous term.
Guy Barry
2012-06-18 18:01:27 UTC
Even more remarkably, IMO, MDs almost invariably say "fluid" when they mean liquid or non-alcoholic beverage, e.g., "Drink plenty of fluids."  In physics, "fluid" refers to gas, liquid or plasma.  Thus, MDs needlessly use a very ambiguous term.
How do you drink anything other than a liquid? "Drink plenty" would
suffice.

Guy Barry
Mark Brader
2012-06-18 18:44:44 UTC
Post by Guy Barry
Post by a***@general-cathexis.com
Even more remarkably, IMO, MDs almost invariably say "fluid" when they
mean liquid or non-alcoholic beverage, e.g., "Drink plenty of fluids."
How do you drink anything other than a liquid? "Drink plenty" would
suffice.
That could be taken as advising drinking liquids containing alcohol.
--
Mark Brader | "We didn't just track down that bug,
Toronto | we left evidence of its extermination
***@vex.net | as a warning to other bugs" --Dan Lyke
R H Draney
2012-06-18 21:38:24 UTC
Even more remarkably, IMO, MDs almost invariably say "fluid" when they me=
an liquid or non-alcoholic beverage, e.g., "Drink plenty of fluids." =A0In =
physics, "fluid" refers to gas, liquid or plasma. =A0Thus, MDs needlessly u=
se a very ambiguous term.
How do you drink anything other than a liquid? "Drink plenty" would
suffice.
I've mentioned this before, but the Japanese drink ("nomu") cigarettes, pills,
and TOS agreements....r
--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.
Robert Bannister
2012-06-19 03:36:31 UTC
Post by R H Draney
Even more remarkably, IMO, MDs almost invariably say "fluid" when they me=
an liquid or non-alcoholic beverage, e.g., "Drink plenty of fluids." =A0In =
physics, "fluid" refers to gas, liquid or plasma. =A0Thus, MDs needlessly u=
se a very ambiguous term.
How do you drink anything other than a liquid? "Drink plenty" would
suffice.
I've mentioned this before, but the Japanese drink ("nomu") cigarettes, pills,
and TOS agreements....r
Other languages too: Ја не пијам тутун - I don't smoke/drink tobacco.
Robert Bannister
Odysseus
2012-06-20 04:43:09 UTC
In article <***@mid.individual.net>,
Robert Bannister <***@bigpond.com> wrote:

<snip>
Post by R H Draney
I've mentioned this before, but the Japanese drink ("nomu") cigarettes, pills,
and TOS agreements....r
Other languages too: …ý Ì ÔË¿ýÏ ÚÛÚÛÌ - I don't smoke/drink tobacco.
Which is that: Serbian? Bulgarian?
Odysseus
R H Draney
2012-06-20 08:50:43 UTC
Post by Odysseus
<snip>
Post by R H Draney
I've mentioned this before, but the Japanese drink ("nomu") cigarettes, pills,
and TOS agreements....r
Other languages too: …ý Ì ÔË¿ý ÚÛÚہ - I don't smoke/drink tobacco.
Which is that: Serbian? Bulgarian?
Google thinks Serbian, at least as Robert posted it, although the translation
offered is "I do not pijam tobacco" (selecting Croat instead changes the verb to
"PIJAMA")...your quoter turned it into Chinese characters that translate to "The
Qi Tangyunkuiqiao Qiao"....r
--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.
Mike L
2012-06-20 17:22:44 UTC
Post by R H Draney
Post by Odysseus
<snip>
Post by R H Draney
I've mentioned this before, but the Japanese drink ("nomu") cigarettes, pills,
and TOS agreements....r
Other languages too: …ý Ì ÔË¿ý? ÚÛÚÛ? - I don't smoke/drink tobacco.
Which is that: Serbian? Bulgarian?
Google thinks Serbian, at least as Robert posted it, although the translation
offered is "I do not pijam tobacco" (selecting Croat instead changes the verb to
"PIJAMA")...your quoter turned it into Chinese characters that translate to "The
Qi Tangyunkuiqiao Qiao"....r
English used to use "drink" of tobacco-smoke. "Smoking" in the weedy
sense did overlap it from quite early (I find OED has 1617).

For "drink" in this sense, OED has:
<†5. To draw in or inhale (tobacco smoke, etc.); to smoke. Obs.
1601 B. Jonson Every Man in his Humor iii. ii. sig. G2, The most
diuine Tabacco as euer I drunke.
1613 S. Purchas Pilgrimage ix. i. 820 Their Lords and Priests
consult of warres, after they have drunke the smoke of a certain
herbe.
1654 E. Johnson Hist. New-Eng. 97 He was drinking a pipe of
Tobacco.
1781 T. Pennant Tour in Wales II. 28 The first who smoked, or, (as
they called it) drank tobacco publickly in London.
[1855 Spencer Turkey, Russia, &c. xix. 278 According to the idiom
of their language, they [Tatars] do not smoke the fragrant herb, but
drink it.] >
Mike.
Robert Bannister
2012-06-21 00:11:01 UTC
Post by R H Draney
Post by Odysseus
<snip>
Post by R H Draney
I've mentioned this before, but the Japanese drink ("nomu") cigarettes, pills,
and TOS agreements....r
Other languages too: �� �� �˿�� ���ہ - I don't smoke/drink tobacco.
Which is that: Serbian? Bulgarian?
Google thinks Serbian, at least as Robert posted it, although the translation
offered is "I do not pijam tobacco" (selecting Croat instead changes the verb to
"PIJAMA")...your quoter turned it into Chinese characters that translate to "The
Qi Tangyunkuiqiao Qiao"....r
I presume "pijam" is related to Latin - Google says "bibam", but I think
it would be "bibo" or "bibeo", but in Macedonian, it's not just "sum" (I
am) that ends in -m, all verbs do in the 1st Person. The adverb "pijano"
meaning "drunk" sounds almost exactly like English "piano" would if it
had an "ah" vowel.
Robert Bannister
R H Draney
2012-06-21 17:46:19 UTC
Post by Robert Bannister
Other languages too: …ý Ì ÔË¿ý ÚÛÚہ - I don't smoke/drink tobacco.
I presume "pijam" is related to Latin - Google says "bibam", but I think
it would be "bibo" or "bibeo", but in Macedonian, it's not just "sum" (I
am) that ends in -m, all verbs do in the 1st Person. The adverb "pijano"
meaning "drunk" sounds almost exactly like English "piano" would if it
had an "ah" vowel.
Forcing the language setting in Google Translate renders "I was not drinking
tobacco"...was the original phrased in progressive or is this a typical idiom
for Macedonian?...r
--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.
Mike L
2012-06-21 21:22:37 UTC
On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 08:11:01 +0800, Robert Bannister
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by R H Draney
Post by Odysseus
<snip>
Post by R H Draney
I've mentioned this before, but the Japanese drink ("nomu") cigarettes, pills,
and TOS agreements....r
Other languages too: …ý Ì ÔË¿ý? ÚÛÚÛ? - I don't smoke/drink tobacco.
Which is that: Serbian? Bulgarian?
Google thinks Serbian, at least as Robert posted it, although the translation
offered is "I do not pijam tobacco" (selecting Croat instead changes the verb to
"PIJAMA")...your quoter turned it into Chinese characters that translate to "The
Qi Tangyunkuiqiao Qiao"....r
I presume "pijam" is related to Latin - Google says "bibam", but I think
it would be "bibo" or "bibeo", but in Macedonian, it's not just "sum" (I
am) that ends in -m, all verbs do in the 1st Person. The adverb "pijano"
meaning "drunk" sounds almost exactly like English "piano" would if it
had an "ah" vowel.
...which, for many British speakers, it still does.
Mike.
Robert Bannister
2012-06-21 00:04:48 UTC
Post by Odysseus
<snip>
Post by R H Draney
I've mentioned this before, but the Japanese drink ("nomu") cigarettes, pills,
and TOS agreements....r
Other languages too: …ý ÌÂ ÔË¿ýÏ ÚÛÚÛÌ - I don't smoke/drink tobacco.
Which is that: Serbian? Bulgarian?
Macedonian, but I don't know what's happened to it in the transfer.
Using a Latin alphabet, it should be "jas ne pijam tutun" or Y instead
of J if you prefer. I am guessing "tutun" is a Turkish word, but I'm not
positive.
Robert Bannister
Odysseus
2012-06-19 07:57:52 UTC
<snip>
Post by R H Draney
Post by Guy Barry
How do you drink anything other than a liquid? "Drink plenty" would
suffice.
I've mentioned this before, but the Japanese drink ("nomu") cigarettes, pills,
and TOS agreements....r
The Turks, too, drink (_içmek_) cigarettes.
Odysseus
Peter Brooks
2012-06-19 08:41:48 UTC
Post by Odysseus
<snip>
Post by R H Draney
How do you drink anything other than a liquid?  "Drink plenty" would
suffice.
I've mentioned this before, but the Japanese drink ("nomu") cigarettes, pills,
and TOS agreements....r
The Turks, too, drink (_içmek_) cigarettes.
Yes, but they probably got into the habit from drinking from a Nargile
- the bubbling sound is certainly like drinking, particularly drinking
the last bit of milkshake through a straw.
a***@general-cathexis.com
2012-06-18 22:36:56 UTC
Post by Guy Barry
Even more remarkably, IMO, MDs almost invariably say "fluid" when they mean liquid or non-alcoholic beverage, e.g., "Drink plenty of fluids."  In physics, "fluid" refers to gas, liquid or plasma.  Thus, MDs needlessly use a very ambiguous term.
How do you drink anything other than a liquid? "Drink plenty" would
suffice.
--
Guy Barry
According to
Post by Guy Barry
Even more remarkably, IMO, MDs almost invariably say "fluid" when they mean liquid or non-alcoholic beverage, e.g., "Drink plenty of fluids."  In physics, "fluid" refers to gas, liquid or plasma.  Thus, MDs needlessly use a very ambiguous term.
How do you drink anything other than a liquid? "Drink plenty" would
suffice.
--
Guy Barry
According to http://www.merriam-webster.com/medical/drink :

Definition of DRINK
transitive verb
: swallow, imbibe <drink liquid>

Thus, swallowing air is drinking air.
R H Draney
2012-06-19 04:31:45 UTC
Post by a***@general-cathexis.com
Definition of DRINK
transitive verb
: swallow, imbibe <drink liquid>=20
Thus, swallowing air is drinking air.
Yet the condition is well-known among the community of sleep apneacs as
"aerophagia"....r
--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.
Robert Bannister
2012-06-19 03:34:39 UTC
Post by Guy Barry
Post by a***@general-cathexis.com
Even more remarkably, IMO, MDs almost invariably say "fluid" when they mean liquid or non-alcoholic beverage, e.g., "Drink plenty of fluids." In physics, "fluid" refers to gas, liquid or plasma. Thus, MDs needlessly use a very ambiguous term.
How do you drink anything other than a liquid? "Drink plenty" would
suffice.
But not with thine eyes.
Robert Bannister
tony cooper
2012-06-18 18:32:14 UTC
On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 08:29:20 -0700 (PDT),
Post by a***@general-cathexis.com
Even more remarkably, IMO, MDs almost invariably say "fluid" when they mean liquid or non-alcoholic beverage,
e.g., "Drink plenty of fluids." In physics, "fluid" refers to gas, liquid or plasma. Thus, MDs needlessly
use a very ambiguous term.
Why is it an ambiguous term to anyone who is not a physicist, or even
to a reasonably intelligent physicist?
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Peter Moylan
2012-06-19 01:04:12 UTC
Post by tony cooper
On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 08:29:20 -0700 (PDT),
Post by a***@general-cathexis.com
Even more remarkably, IMO, MDs almost invariably say "fluid" when they mean liquid or non-alcoholic beverage,
e.g., "Drink plenty of fluids." In physics, "fluid" refers to gas, liquid or plasma. Thus, MDs needlessly
use a very ambiguous term.
Why is it an ambiguous term to anyone who is not a physicist, or even
to a reasonably intelligent physicist?
We're talking introductory high school science here, not advanced
physics. I imagine that most people who have finished school know that
"fluid" does not mean "liquid".

The medical profession seems to require the general public to understand
its own private jargon, and I find that to be arrogant.
tony cooper
2012-06-19 01:56:10 UTC
On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 11:04:12 +1000, Peter Moylan
Post by Peter Moylan
Post by tony cooper
On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 08:29:20 -0700 (PDT),
Post by a***@general-cathexis.com
Even more remarkably, IMO, MDs almost invariably say "fluid" when they mean liquid or non-alcoholic beverage,
e.g., "Drink plenty of fluids." In physics, "fluid" refers to gas, liquid or plasma. Thus, MDs needlessly
use a very ambiguous term.
Why is it an ambiguous term to anyone who is not a physicist, or even
to a reasonably intelligent physicist?
We're talking introductory high school science here, not advanced
physics. I imagine that most people who have finished school know that
"fluid" does not mean "liquid".
The medical profession seems to require the general public to understand
its own private jargon, and I find that to be arrogant.
Perhaps so, but I simply cannot imagine anyone - regardless of their
educational specialty - to be the teeniest bit confused about a
doctor's meaning when he says "Drink plenty of fluids".

It's like the instructions to take a pill twice daily. We can giggle
and point at the implied meaning to regurgitate the pill after the
first taking in order to take it again, but - truly - we are not
confused.
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Garrett Wollman
2012-06-19 02:44:30 UTC
Post by Peter Moylan
We're talking introductory high school science here, not advanced
physics. I imagine that most people who have finished school know that
"fluid" does not mean "liquid".
You might try looking up "polysemy" in your dictionary.
Post by Peter Moylan
The medical profession seems to require the general public to understand
its own private jargon, and I find that to be arrogant.
s/medical/physics/g

might as well make that

s/medical/$PROFESSION/g

as every profession does this. (Even descriptive linguistics --
remember Geoffrey Pullum's infuriated rants about how nobody in the
media knows the "meaning" of "passive voice"?)

-GAWollman
Robert Bannister
2012-06-19 03:39:07 UTC
Post by Peter Moylan
Post by tony cooper
On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 08:29:20 -0700 (PDT),
Post by a***@general-cathexis.com
Even more remarkably, IMO, MDs almost invariably say "fluid" when they mean liquid or non-alcoholic beverage,
e.g., "Drink plenty of fluids." In physics, "fluid" refers to gas, liquid or plasma. Thus, MDs needlessly
use a very ambiguous term.
Why is it an ambiguous term to anyone who is not a physicist, or even
to a reasonably intelligent physicist?
We're talking introductory high school science here, not advanced
physics. I imagine that most people who have finished school know that
"fluid" does not mean "liquid".
The medical profession seems to require the general public to understand
its own private jargon, and I find that to be arrogant.
Hang on. You are expecting people to know the private jargon of
physicists. As far as I know, "fluid" and "liquid" are more or less
synonyms in normal English. Fair crack of the sauce bottle.
Robert Bannister
Ian Jackson
2012-06-19 07:10:01 UTC
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by Peter Moylan
Post by tony cooper
[...]
I never associated fluids with gasses until I did a course on Fluid
Mechanics.
Ian
a***@general-cathexis.com
2012-06-19 14:47:19 UTC
Post by Peter Moylan
Post by tony cooper
[...]
I don't remember exactly where I learned the physics definition of "fluid" but I suspect that it was in physics 101 or 102 at the university I attended. These courses were part of a common core set of courses for engineers. I expect that similar courses are part of a common core set of courses for medical students. But, I expect the vast majority of liberal arts majors to be ignorant of that definition.

Isn't there some sort of literary principle in which a writer/speaker is supposed to switch between synonyms to prevent monotony? I'm not sure that this principle applies to technical writing/speaking, but, I see an advantage here. The audience can remove ambiguities from the synonyms by taking an intersection of possible meanings.
tony cooper
2012-06-19 15:23:10 UTC
On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 07:47:19 -0700 (PDT),
Post by tony cooper
On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 08:29:20 -0700 (PDT),
I don't remember exactly where I learned the physics definition of "fluid"
but I suspect that it was in physics 101 or 102 at the university I attended.
These courses were part of a common core set of courses for engineers. I
expect that similar courses are part of a common core set of courses for
medical students. But, I expect the vast majority of liberal arts majors
to be ignorant of that definition.
Add business majors. "Fluid" was discussed in my course load as being
"constantly changing".
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Mike L
2012-06-19 21:17:49 UTC
Post by Peter Moylan
Post by tony cooper
On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 08:29:20 -0700 (PDT),
Post by a***@general-cathexis.com
Even more remarkably, IMO, MDs almost invariably say "fluid" when they mean liquid or non-alcoholic beverage,
e.g., "Drink plenty of fluids." In physics, "fluid" refers to gas, liquid or plasma. Thus, MDs needlessly
use a very ambiguous term.
Why is it an ambiguous term to anyone who is not a physicist, or even
to a reasonably intelligent physicist?
We're talking introductory high school science here, not advanced
physics. I imagine that most people who have finished school know that
"fluid" does not mean "liquid".
The medical profession seems to require the general public to understand
its own private jargon, and I find that to be arrogant.
Absolutely. The other week I had to tell a doctor, "It's OK: you don't
have to call it my 'tummy' ". She retaliated by smirking, and telling
me to "hop up onto the couch". I'm afraid that when a technician in
the hospital told me "We're just going to take a picture of your
chest", I actually snapped: "I know what an X-ray is!"

I think I've previously mentioned that British medics have stopped
taking one look at me and saying "A little prick", and instead say "A
sharp scratch". A jab is not a scratch.
Mike.
Mike Barnes
2012-06-19 21:42:05 UTC
Post by Peter Moylan
The medical profession seems to require the general public to understand
its own private jargon, and I find that to be arrogant.
Absolutely. The other week I had to tell a doctor, "It's OK: you don't
have to call it my 'tummy' ".
I don't know whether this is relevant, but I can sympathise with the
doctor who uses the word "tummy" as most people understand it, to
indicate a body location that is not where the stomach actually is, and
reserves the word "stomach" for the real thing (mainly behind the ribs).
--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Odysseus
2012-06-20 04:37:48 UTC
In article <***@34klh41lk4h1lk34h3lk4h1k4.invalid>,
Mike Barnes <***@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>
Post by Mike Barnes
I don't know whether this is relevant, but I can sympathise with the
doctor who uses the word "tummy" as most people understand it, to
indicate a body location that is not where the stomach actually is, and
reserves the word "stomach" for the real thing (mainly behind the ribs).
I wouldn't expect "stomach", rather "abdomen". Then there's "belly":
common, maybe, but not infantile like "tummy".
Odysseus
Katy Jennison
2012-06-19 22:30:03 UTC
Post by Mike L
I think I've previously mentioned that British medics have stopped
taking one look at me and saying "A little prick", and instead say "A
sharp scratch". A jab is not a scratch.
That one irritates me every time. I think "pierce" is the word I'd use:
"jab" strikes me as rather ferocious, and most of the nurses who've
subjected me to this have been the mildest and gentlest of people. It's
a lot better than "scratch", though.
Katy Jennison
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2012-06-19 23:17:23 UTC
On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 23:30:03 +0100, Katy Jennison
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Mike L
I think I've previously mentioned that British medics have stopped
taking one look at me and saying "A little prick", and instead say "A
sharp scratch". A jab is not a scratch.
"jab" strikes me as rather ferocious, and most of the nurses who've
subjected me to this have been the mildest and gentlest of people. It's
a lot better than "scratch", though.
I've heard "jag" used.
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/jag

jag 1
noun
a sharp projection.
chiefly Scottish an injection.

verb (jags, jagging, jagged)
[with object]
stab, pierce, or prick:
--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)
Peter Moylan
2012-06-19 23:21:18 UTC
Post by Mike L
I think I've previously mentioned that British medics have stopped
taking one look at me and saying "A little prick", and instead say "A
sharp scratch". A jab is not a scratch.
As a man gets older his penis gets smaller, so some of us are
over-sensitive to the phrase "a little prick".

I've forgotten what I was told the last time I had a needle put into me.
I'll try to take note of it the next time. Certainly "scratch" sounds
completely wrong.
Dr Nick
2012-06-21 18:09:51 UTC
Post by Peter Moylan
Post by Mike L
I think I've previously mentioned that British medics have stopped
taking one look at me and saying "A little prick", and instead say "A
sharp scratch". A jab is not a scratch.
As a man gets older his penis gets smaller, so some of us are
over-sensitive to the phrase "a little prick".
I've forgotten what I was told the last time I had a needle put into me.
I'll try to take note of it the next time. Certainly "scratch" sounds
completely wrong.
It's to avoid "it's just a little prick with a needle" "yes, but where
are you going to put it?".
Garrett Wollman
2012-06-20 01:35:09 UTC
Post by Mike L
I think I've previously mentioned that British medics have stopped
taking one look at me and saying "A little prick", and instead say "A
sharp scratch". A jab is not a scratch.
My dentist says "a little pinch", which doesn't work for me. A needle
being stuck into your flesh just doesn't feel like anything else!

-GAWollman
Robert Bannister
2012-06-20 02:54:52 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Mike L
I think I've previously mentioned that British medics have stopped
taking one look at me and saying "A little prick", and instead say "A
sharp scratch". A jab is not a scratch.
My dentist says "a little pinch", which doesn't work for me. A needle
being stuck into your flesh just doesn't feel like anything else!
Especially when she's probing around the back of your mouth with
something that feels like a ten foot spear.
Robert Bannister
Garrett Wollman
2012-06-20 05:55:50 UTC
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by Garrett Wollman
My dentist says "a little pinch", which doesn't work for me. A needle
being stuck into your flesh just doesn't feel like anything else!
Especially when she's probing around the back of your mouth with
something that feels like a ten foot spear.
I haven't experienced that with the dentist -- I suppose my
temporomandibular joint is easy to find. (There's a nice big pocket
there to stash the anesthetic.) Much worse when I get a bad
phlebotomist (and at least half of them seem to be) and they're
jabbing around the inside of my elbow looking for a vein. I'm told
I'm a "tough stick".

-GAWollman
R H Draney
2012-06-20 08:52:49 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
I haven't experienced that with the dentist -- I suppose my
temporomandibular joint is easy to find. (There's a nice big pocket
there to stash the anesthetic.) Much worse when I get a bad
phlebotomist (and at least half of them seem to be) and they're
jabbing around the inside of my elbow looking for a vein. I'm told
I'm a "tough stick".
They have no trouble finding my veins, but if they turn away to reach for the
swab or some other implement, the vein they've just located will seize the
opportunity to go into hiding....r
--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.
Skitt
2012-06-20 18:54:07 UTC
Post by R H Draney
Post by Garrett Wollman
I haven't experienced that with the dentist -- I suppose my
temporomandibular joint is easy to find. (There's a nice big pocket
there to stash the anesthetic.) Much worse when I get a bad
phlebotomist (and at least half of them seem to be) and they're
jabbing around the inside of my elbow looking for a vein. I'm told
I'm a "tough stick".
They have no trouble finding my veins, but if they turn away to reach for the
swab or some other implement, the vein they've just located will seize the
opportunity to go into hiding....r
I hate to have my blood drawn, as my veins appear to be difficult to
find, and they seem to resist puncturing. The worst time I recall was
in the Army, when after about four or five tries on one arm, the medic
switched to the other and had almost the same lack of luck (or skill).
On a few of the attempts, there was a bit of something murky he was able
to draw, but it sure wasn't blood. I was starting to feel faint.

The last time I have allowed anyone to attempt the procedure was in
around 1986, or so. That time the lab supposedly botched the tests (my
cholesterol was too low, the doctor said), but I didn't allow them a "do
over".
--
Skitt (SF Bay Area)
http://come.to/skitt
Robert Bannister
2012-06-21 00:15:25 UTC
Post by Skitt
I hate to have my blood drawn, as my veins appear to be difficult to
find, and they seem to resist puncturing. The worst time I recall was
in the Army, when after about four or five tries on one arm, the medic
switched to the other and had almost the same lack of luck (or skill).
I don't even mind the multiple stabs, but these days another "feature"
of old age appears to be that the slightest bruise turns into an
enormous reddish mark like a birthmark for days, so the last time the
nurse (most doctors have given up) drew my blood after 3 goes on the
right arm, 2 on the left and finally took it from the top of my hand, I
was left looking like a junkie for nearly a week.
Robert Bannister
R H Draney
2012-06-21 03:59:25 UTC
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by Skitt
I hate to have my blood drawn, as my veins appear to be difficult to
find, and they seem to resist puncturing. The worst time I recall was
in the Army, when after about four or five tries on one arm, the medic
switched to the other and had almost the same lack of luck (or skill).
I don't even mind the multiple stabs, but these days another "feature"
of old age appears to be that the slightest bruise turns into an
enormous reddish mark like a birthmark for days, so the last time the
nurse (most doctors have given up) drew my blood after 3 goes on the
right arm, 2 on the left and finally took it from the top of my hand, I
was left looking like a junkie for nearly a week.
After a couple of days in the hospital on a drip that had to keep being moved,
my doctor insisted on a follow-up blood test to monitor my potassium
levels...the licensed practical vampire at the lab couldn't get a working stick,
then finally hit paydirt, which had to be discarded when the clot left over from
one of the IV punctures squirted through the needle and into the vial....r
--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.
Nick Spalding
2012-06-20 09:56:54 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by Garrett Wollman
My dentist says "a little pinch", which doesn't work for me. A needle
being stuck into your flesh just doesn't feel like anything else!
Especially when she's probing around the back of your mouth with
something that feels like a ten foot spear.
I haven't experienced that with the dentist -- I suppose my
temporomandibular joint is easy to find. (There's a nice big pocket
there to stash the anesthetic.) Much worse when I get a bad
phlebotomist (and at least half of them seem to be) and they're
jabbing around the inside of my elbow looking for a vein. I'm told
I'm a "tough stick".
I am too. I was on warfarin for about six months some years ago and had
to go to the blood clinic every week or two so that they could adjust
the dosage. Only one of the half dozen nurses there could reliably find
mine so they got used to me and put me on hold until she was free.
--
Nick Spalding
BrE/IrE
tony cooper
2012-06-20 13:32:44 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by Garrett Wollman
My dentist says "a little pinch", which doesn't work for me. A needle
being stuck into your flesh just doesn't feel like anything else!
Especially when she's probing around the back of your mouth with
something that feels like a ten foot spear.
I haven't experienced that with the dentist -- I suppose my
temporomandibular joint is easy to find. (There's a nice big pocket
there to stash the anesthetic.) Much worse when I get a bad
phlebotomist (and at least half of them seem to be) and they're
jabbing around the inside of my elbow looking for a vein. I'm told
I'm a "tough stick".
Whenever I have blood drawn the drawer compliments me on my easily
accessible vein. It's as if she feels that I have somehow developed
that vein by exercise, diet, or mental concentration and deserve
recognition for the effort.
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
R H Draney
2012-06-20 15:37:05 UTC
Post by tony cooper
Whenever I have blood drawn the drawer compliments me on my easily
accessible vein. It's as if she feels that I have somehow developed
that vein by exercise, diet, or mental concentration and deserve
recognition for the effort.
Next time ask her if that means you can have a lollipop....

I find that most doctors and nurses enjoy a bit of situational humor...once had
the nurse leave the digital thermometer in my mouth a lot longer than necessary
while she attended to other record keeping...when the doctor got there and found
it still in place, I suggested that perhaps instead of my temperature she was
trying to check my climate....r
--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.
Peter Moylan
2012-06-21 13:13:29 UTC
Post by R H Draney
Post by tony cooper
Whenever I have blood drawn the drawer compliments me on my easily
accessible vein. It's as if she feels that I have somehow developed
that vein by exercise, diet, or mental concentration and deserve
recognition for the effort.
Next time ask her if that means you can have a lollipop....
I find that most doctors and nurses enjoy a bit of situational humor...once had
the nurse leave the digital thermometer in my mouth a lot longer than necessary
while she attended to other record keeping...when the doctor got there and found
it still in place, I suggested that perhaps instead of my temperature she was
trying to check my climate....r
That reminds me of the doctor who, when doing hospital rounds, pulled a
rectal thermometer from behind his ear and said "Some arsehole has my pen".
Katy Jennison
2012-06-20 19:57:18 UTC
Post by tony cooper
Whenever I have blood drawn the drawer compliments me on my easily
accessible vein. It's as if she feels that I have somehow developed
that vein by exercise, diet, or mental concentration and deserve
recognition for the effort.
Reminds me of the counter clerk in a garage I used to go to for petrol,
who'd say "Well done!" when I put my signature on the bottom of the
credit card slip.

(Those days are long gone - it's all chip and pin in the UK now.)
Katy Jennison
Adam Funk
2012-06-20 20:30:58 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by tony cooper
Whenever I have blood drawn the drawer compliments me on my easily
accessible vein. It's as if she feels that I have somehow developed
that vein by exercise, diet, or mental concentration and deserve
recognition for the effort.
"Don't forget to study for your blood test!"
Post by Katy Jennison
Reminds me of the counter clerk in a garage I used to go to for petrol,
who'd say "Well done!" when I put my signature on the bottom of the
credit card slip.
(Those days are long gone - it's all chip and pin in the UK now.)
"Well done, you remembered your PIN!"
Mike Barnes
2012-06-20 21:48:18 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by tony cooper
Whenever I have blood drawn the drawer compliments me on my easily
accessible vein. It's as if she feels that I have somehow developed
that vein by exercise, diet, or mental concentration and deserve
recognition for the effort.
Reminds me of the counter clerk in a garage I used to go to for petrol,
who'd say "Well done!" when I put my signature on the bottom of the
credit card slip.
A signature? That must have been while ago.

But I'm reminded of the recent occasion when I filled up in the middle
of nowhere, the place having just one pump. I went to the counter and
declared "number one". Not a flicker.
--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
R H Draney
2012-06-20 22:00:21 UTC
Post by Mike Barnes
A signature? That must have been while ago.
But I'm reminded of the recent occasion when I filled up in the middle
of nowhere, the place having just one pump. I went to the counter and
declared "number one". Not a flicker.
I would like to be there the day someone announces "number two"....r
--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.
Ian Jackson
2012-06-21 07:17:52 UTC
Post by Mike Barnes
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by tony cooper
Whenever I have blood drawn the drawer compliments me on my easily
accessible vein. It's as if she feels that I have somehow developed
that vein by exercise, diet, or mental concentration and deserve
recognition for the effort.
Reminds me of the counter clerk in a garage I used to go to for petrol,
who'd say "Well done!" when I put my signature on the bottom of the
credit card slip.
A signature? That must have been while ago.
But I'm reminded of the recent occasion when I filled up in the middle
of nowhere, the place having just one pump. I went to the counter and
declared "number one". Not a flicker.
My local village hardware shop's card reader machines packed up some
time ago. Since then, they manually (digitally?) type your card number
into their computer system. It then prints out two receipts - one of
which you sign in any available space, and they keep.
Ian
Adam Funk
2012-06-21 15:40:32 UTC
Post by Mike Barnes
Post by Katy Jennison
Reminds me of the counter clerk in a garage I used to go to for petrol,
who'd say "Well done!" when I put my signature on the bottom of the
credit card slip.
A signature? That must have been while ago.
But I'm reminded of the recent occasion when I filled up in the middle
of nowhere, the place having just one pump. I went to the counter and
declared "number one". Not a flicker.
"Loo's over there."
--
Unix is a user-friendly operating system. It's just very choosy about
its friends.
Robert Bannister
2012-06-21 00:17:06 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
(Those days are long gone - it's all chip and pin in the UK now.)
You English do like your chips with everything.
Robert Bannister
Peter Moylan
2012-06-21 13:16:00 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by Garrett Wollman
My dentist says "a little pinch", which doesn't work for me. A needle
being stuck into your flesh just doesn't feel like anything else!
Especially when she's probing around the back of your mouth with
something that feels like a ten foot spear.
I haven't experienced that with the dentist -- I suppose my
temporomandibular joint is easy to find. (There's a nice big pocket
there to stash the anesthetic.) Much worse when I get a bad
phlebotomist (and at least half of them seem to be) and they're
jabbing around the inside of my elbow looking for a vein. I'm told
I'm a "tough stick".
I don't know why they always want blood from the inside of the elbow. My
experience is that there aren't any blood vessels there.
R H Draney
2012-06-20 04:12:05 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Mike L
I think I've previously mentioned that British medics have stopped
taking one look at me and saying "A little prick", and instead say "A
sharp scratch". A jab is not a scratch.
My dentist says "a little pinch", which doesn't work for me. A needle
being stuck into your flesh just doesn't feel like anything else!
I once read an article by someone who had spoken to a number of stabbing
victims, who were of one mind that an actual stab wound doesn't cause what you'd
call a "stabbing" pain....r
--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.
Mike L
2012-06-20 17:11:06 UTC
Post by R H Draney
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Mike L
I think I've previously mentioned that British medics have stopped
taking one look at me and saying "A little prick", and instead say "A
sharp scratch". A jab is not a scratch.
My dentist says "a little pinch", which doesn't work for me. A needle
being stuck into your flesh just doesn't feel like anything else!
I once read an article by someone who had spoken to a number of stabbing
victims, who were of one mind that an actual stab wound doesn't cause what you'd
call a "stabbing" pain....r
I knew somebody who was stabbed in the back, and he said that at the
time he just felt a "bump".
Mike.
Robert Bannister
2012-06-21 00:19:00 UTC
Post by Mike L
Post by R H Draney
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Mike L
I think I've previously mentioned that British medics have stopped
taking one look at me and saying "A little prick", and instead say "A
sharp scratch". A jab is not a scratch.
My dentist says "a little pinch", which doesn't work for me. A needle
being stuck into your flesh just doesn't feel like anything else!
I once read an article by someone who had spoken to a number of stabbing
victims, who were of one mind that an actual stab wound doesn't cause what you'd
call a "stabbing" pain....r
I knew somebody who was stabbed in the back, and he said that at the
time he just felt a "bump".
My sister got stabbed in the back while standing with us at the bar. She
never noticed a thing until my b-i-l noticed the blood on her dress and
mentioned it - 14 stitches.
Robert Bannister
Adam Funk
2012-06-20 20:36:01 UTC
Post by Mike L
I think I've previously mentioned that British medics have stopped
taking one look at me and saying "A little prick",
fnarr
Post by Mike L
and instead say "A
sharp scratch". A jab is not a scratch.
See also "baby doctor" for "paediatrician".
--
The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to
chance. [Robert R. Coveyou]
a***@general-cathexis.com
2012-06-19 15:08:28 UTC
Post by tony cooper
On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 08:29:20 -0700 (PDT),
Post by a***@general-cathexis.com
Even more remarkably, IMO, MDs almost invariably say "fluid" when they mean liquid or non-alcoholic beverage,
e.g., "Drink plenty of fluids." In physics, "fluid" refers to gas, liquid or plasma. Thus, MDs needlessly
use a very ambiguous term.
Why is it an ambiguous term to anyone who is not a physicist, or even
to a reasonably intelligent physicist?
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
As far as I know, this is a true story:

A relative of mine went to her doctor and complained that she couldn't sleep because her dog barked all night long. The doctor gave her a prescription for sleeping pills. On her next visit, the doctor asked, "Did the sleeping pills work?" She said, "Yes. I put a pill in the dog's food before I go to bed and now I sleep fine."
tony cooper
2012-06-19 15:30:15 UTC
On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 08:08:28 -0700 (PDT),
Post by tony cooper
On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 08:29:20 -0700 (PDT),
Post by a***@general-cathexis.com
Even more remarkably, IMO, MDs almost invariably say "fluid" when they mean liquid or non-alcoholic beverage,
e.g., "Drink plenty of fluids." In physics, "fluid" refers to gas, liquid or plasma. Thus, MDs needlessly
use a very ambiguous term.
Why is it an ambiguous term to anyone who is not a physicist, or even
to a reasonably intelligent physicist?
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
A relative of mine went to her doctor and complained that she couldn't sleep because her dog barked all night long. The doctor gave her a prescription for sleeping pills. On her next visit, the doctor asked, "Did the sleeping pills work?" She said, "Yes. I put a pill in the dog's food before I go to bed and now I sleep fine."
And this is not a true story:

An elderly farmer married to a much younger woman complained to his
doctor that when he was ready, by the time he returned from the fields
to pleasure his wife the urge, and the ability to do so, was gone
because of the exertion required to get to the house.

The doctor, rather than prescribing pills, suggested that the farmer
take a shotgun with him to the fields. The farmer was instructed to
fire the shotgun when the urge, and the ability to perform, was upon
him. The wife would take this as a signal to come to him and would
not have to make the exhaustive run to the house.

Some time later, at another doctor visit, the farmer was asked if the
solution worked. The farmer replied that it worked for about a month
but that he hadn't seen his wife since the start of hunting season.
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2012-06-19 16:12:11 UTC
Post by tony cooper
[...]
<chuckle>
--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)
Robert Bannister
2012-06-19 03:33:59 UTC
Post by a***@general-cathexis.com
Even more remarkably, IMO, MDs almost invariably say "fluid" when they mean liquid or non-alcoholic beverage, e.g., "Drink plenty of fluids." In physics, "fluid" refers to gas, liquid or plasma. Thus, MDs needlessly use a very ambiguous term.
Not much plasma in beer, but there is some gas.
--
Robert Bannister