more of a computer scientist
2018-07-07 07:27:27 UTC
1) He is more a computer scientist than an engineer.
2) He is more of a computer scientist than an engineer.

3) They are more computer scientists than engineers.

4) He is more a computer scientist than you are.
5) He is more of a computer scientist than you are.

6) They are more computer scientists than you are.
7) They are more computer scientist than you are.

Which are grammatical?
Which are idiomatic?

Gratefully,
Navi
Peter Moylan
2018-07-07 10:55:49 UTC
1) He is more a computer scientist than an engineer.
2) He is more of a computer scientist than an engineer.
3) They are more computer scientists than engineers.
4) He is more a computer scientist than you are.
5) He is more of a computer scientist than you are.
6) They are more computer scientists than you are.
7) They are more computer scientist than you are.
Which are grammatical?
Which are idiomatic?
I'm happy with 1, 3, and 5. Since I'm rejecting 2, you might wonder why
I accept "of" in 5 but not in 2.

The reason is that the "of" does make a subtle difference in the
meaning, although it's hard to explain why. The meaning of sentence 5 is
something like "maybe he's not a real computer scientist, but you are
even less qualified to call yourself a computer scientist".

In contrast, sentences 1 and 3 are less argumentative. They are neutral
in tone, and say something like "I suppose you could call them either
computer scientists or engineers", but on balance the computer science
side dominates".

I'm not sure why I don't like 6 and 7, but I don't.

More of a mathematician than an engineer, but my qualifications are in
electrical
engineering and my recent professional experience was in computer
engineering.
Have taught computer science subjects.
Peter T. Daniels
(4), (6), and (7) are not ok, the others are ok.
Don P
2018-07-09 19:47:34 UTC
1) He is more a computer scientist than an engineer.
2) He is more of a computer scientist than an engineer.
3) They are more computer scientists than engineers.
4) He is more a computer scientist than you are.
5) He is more of a computer scientist than you are.
6) They are more computer scientists than you are.
7) They are more computer scientist than you are.
Which are grammatical?
Which are idiomatic?
Wrong question: these differences are all semantic or syntactic rather
than grammatical.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs