in the sixties
2017-10-11 07:16:55 UTC
1) He was talking about the Mod movement in England.
2) He was talking about it in England.
Could '2' be used instead of '1' if 'it' refers to the Mod movement?

3) He was talking about scooters in the sixties.
4) He was talking about them in the sixties.
Could '4' be used instead of '3' if 'them' refers to scooters?

Gratefully,
Navi.
Ross
2017-10-11 07:59:32 UTC
1) He was talking about the Mod movement in England.
2) He was talking about it in England.
Could '2' be used instead of '1' if 'it' refers to the Mod movement?
The only thing strange about it is that, as far as I know, the "Mod movement"
was a strictly English phenomenon. If you substituted "Surrealist" for "Mod",
it would make more sense.
No problem.
Peter Moylan
2017-10-11 09:04:44 UTC
Post by Ross
Post by a***@gmail.com
1) He was talking about the Mod movement in England.
2) He was talking about it in England.
Could '2' be used instead of '1' if 'it' refers to the Mod movement?
The only thing strange about it is that, as far as I know, the "Mod movement"
was a strictly English phenomenon. If you substituted "Surrealist" for "Mod",
it would make more sense.
That works for (1). In sentence (2), England seems to be where he was
doing the talking.
Post by Ross
Post by a***@gmail.com
3) He was talking about scooters in the sixties.
4) He was talking about them in the sixties.
Could '4' be used instead of '3' if 'them' refers to scooters?
No problem.
I see the same problem as above. (3) says to me that the scooters were
in the sixties, while (4) says that the sixties was when he was talking
about them.
Ross
2017-10-11 19:30:40 UTC
Post by Ross
Post by a***@gmail.com
1) He was talking about the Mod movement in England.
2) He was talking about it in England.
Could '2' be used instead of '1' if 'it' refers to the Mod movement?
The only thing strange about it is that, as far as I know, the "Mod movement"
was a strictly English phenomenon. If you substituted "Surrealist" for "Mod",
it would make more sense.
That works for (1). In sentence (2), England seems to be where he was
doing the talking.
That's a possible reading, maybe the most likely in isolation. But in a
context like this:

He wasn't making generalizations about Surrealism world-wide. He was
talking about it in England.

it seems to me "Surrealism in England" can be understood.

Athel Cornish-Bowden
2017-10-11 17:40:35 UTC
Post by Ross
Post by a***@gmail.com
1) He was talking about the Mod movement in England.
2) He was talking about it in England.
Could '2' be used instead of '1' if 'it' refers to the Mod movement?
The only thing strange about it is that, as far as I know, the "Mod movement"
was a strictly English phenomenon.
Mods and rockers were to be found in England in the mid-1960s. I've no
idea what "the Mod movement" (tout court) might mean.
Do you not understand what pronouns do?
Ken Blake
2017-10-11 17:04:22 UTC
1) He was talking about the Mod movement in England.
2) He was talking about it in England.
Could '2' be used instead of '1' if 'it' refers to the Mod movement?
Sure, if the preceding sentence was about the Mod Movement. For
example, "John liked the Mod movement. He was talking about it in
England."
Post by a***@gmail.com
3) He was talking about scooters in the sixties.
4) He was talking about them in the sixties.
Could '4' be used instead of '3' if 'them' refers to scooters?
Sure, if the preceding sentence was about scooters. For example, "John
liked scooters. He was talking about them in the sixties."