for you to sign
2017-04-21 01:59:03 UTC
1) She had brought a few documents for him to sign.
2) She had brought a few documents so that he would sign them.

Is there any difference between the meanings of these sentences?
If yes, what is the difference?

I find '1' very natural. '2' seems strange to me. But I can't figure out
how it is different from '1'. It seems grammatical and the meaning seems the
same.

Gratefully,
Navi.
Peter T. Daniels
2017-04-21 03:20:31 UTC
1) She had brought a few documents for him to sign.
2) She had brought a few documents so that he would sign them.
Is there any difference between the meanings of these sentences?
If yes, what is the difference?
I find '1' very natural. '2' seems strange to me.
Then why did you even write it down?
Not the same at all.
GordonD
2017-04-21 08:24:04 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
But I can't figure out
how it is different from '1'. It seems grammatical and the meaning seems the
same.
Not the same at all.
Can you explain? (2) is certainly horrendous and I would never use it,
but it means the same thing.
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland
Harrison Hill
2017-04-21 08:56:11 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
But I can't figure out
how it is different from '1'. It seems grammatical and the meaning seems the
same.
Not the same at all.
Can you explain? (2) is certainly horrendous and I would never use it,
but it means the same thing.
Without context (2) means the same as (1). But the "them" is
disconnected from the "few documents" in (2) - and that is what
makes it so ungainly.

"Banksy was tempted to go back to his sketches and sign every
one of them, but was worried he might be arrested. He wanted
documents to be provided, which would grant him immunity from
prosecution. She had brought a few documents so that he would
sign them".
Katy Jennison
2017-04-21 09:20:06 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
But I can't figure out
how it is different from '1'. It seems grammatical and the meaning seems the
same.
Not the same at all.
Can you explain? (2) is certainly horrendous and I would never use it,
but it means the same thing.
Without context (2) means the same as (1). But the "them" is
disconnected from the "few documents" in (2) - and that is what
makes it so ungainly.
"Banksy was tempted to go back to his sketches and sign every
one of them, but was worried he might be arrested. He wanted
documents to be provided, which would grant him immunity from
prosecution. She had brought a few documents so that he would
sign them".
I agree with all that, but what jars on me is "would". "Could" would be
fine.
2017-04-21 10:39:26 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
But I can't figure out
how it is different from '1'. It seems grammatical and the meaning seems the
same.
Not the same at all.
Can you explain? (2) is certainly horrendous and I would never use it,
but it means the same thing.
Without context (2) means the same as (1). But the "them" is
disconnected from the "few documents" in (2) - and that is what
makes it so ungainly.
"Banksy was tempted to go back to his sketches and sign every
one of them, but was worried he might be arrested. He wanted
documents to be provided, which would grant him immunity from
prosecution. She had brought a few documents so that he would
sign them".
I agree with all that, but what jars on me is "would". "Could" would be fine.
Absolutely. I was thinking myself that it was the "would" that sounded
really odd. As you say, "could" would be fine.
2017-04-21 11:49:24 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
But I can't figure out
how it is different from '1'. It seems grammatical and the meaning seems the
same.
Not the same at all.
Can you explain? (2) is certainly horrendous and I would never use it,
but it means the same thing.
(1) is about documents. (2) is about "he."

Like, he refused to sign them if he had to go over to the next desk to do so.
GordonD
2017-04-21 12:41:34 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
But I can't figure out
how it is different from '1'. It seems grammatical and the meaning seems the
same.
Not the same at all.
Can you explain? (2) is certainly horrendous and I would never use it,
but it means the same thing.
(1) is about documents. (2) is about "he."
Like, he refused to sign them if he had to go over to the next desk to do so.
Yes, I can see where you're coming from.
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland