OT: Career paths for the young
2018-02-20 19:14:22 UTC
If you are lucky enough to have young relatives around you,
what career paths do you recommend for them?

Robots and computerisation, hand in hand, are taking away
the middle-ranking jobs; so what should they learn? How
should they train? What world awaits them out there?
Jerry Friedman
2018-02-20 21:41:46 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
If you are lucky enough to have young relatives around you,
How about young students?
Post by Harrison Hill
what career paths do you recommend for them?
Robots and computerisation, hand in hand, are taking away
the middle-ranking jobs; so what should they learn? How
should they train?
I tell them, "This is Santa Fe. Follow your bliss."

If they ask. Most seem to have a good idea.
Post by Harrison Hill
What world awaits them out there?
"Prediction is very hard, especially about the future."
2018-02-21 09:31:31 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
What world awaits them out there?
"Prediction is very hard, especially about the future."
The future seems to have already arrived. A young lad where
I work has been waiting to go on a Graphics Design Course;
but was head-hunted by an Estate Agency (Realtor to you?),
purely on the strength of his on-line CV, a picked out by a
search-bot. So there is a job out there for someone designing
bespoke CVs.

Repetitive tasks that robots will replace us at?

Doctor, Lawyer, Accountant.
Driver, Fisherman, Shelf-stacker, Street cleaner.

And a few remaining jobs that are *not* repetitive:

Engineer, Computer programmer, Estate Agent.
Electrician, Plumber, most other building trades.
Jerry Friedman
2018-02-22 02:53:03 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Harrison Hill
What world awaits them out there?
"Prediction is very hard, especially about the future."
The future seems to have already arrived. A young lad where
I work has been waiting to go on a Graphics Design Course;
but was head-hunted by an Estate Agency (Realtor to you?),
A realtor is a person, not an agency. I don't normally use the
word, and if I did, I wouldn't capitalize it (but we've covered that
topic before). I'm probably the wrong person to ask, since I've
never considered owning any real estate, but I'd probably say
real-estate agency, company, firm, or business.
2018-02-22 17:16:43 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Harrison Hill
What world awaits them out there?
"Prediction is very hard, especially about the future."
The future seems to have already arrived. A young lad where
I work has been waiting to go on a Graphics Design Course;
but was head-hunted by an Estate Agency (Realtor to you?),
A realtor is a person, not an agency. I don't normally use the
word, and if I did, I wouldn't capitalize it (but we've covered that
topic before). I'm probably the wrong person to ask, since I've
never considered owning any real estate, but I'd probably say
real-estate agency, company, firm, or business.
I don't think I'd ever heard of an Estate Agency before today. Estate
agents yes, but they work from offices, not from agencies, and like
your realtors they are people.
2018-02-22 18:40:52 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Jerry Friedman
Post by Harrison Hill
purely on the strength of his on-line CV, a picked out by a
search-bot.
This wiki link to "Estate Agent", notes "Estate Agency" nine
times. You have lived out of England for so long, you have forgotten
how to speak the lingo. What sort of "agent" (in your mind) doesn't
work out of an "agency"?

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estate_agent>

Okay, "a cleansing agent" doesn't :)
Madrigal Gurneyhalt
A free agent? An FBI agent? A newsagent?
Harrison Hill
2018-02-22 19:20:00 UTC
Post by Madrigal Gurneyhalt
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Jerry Friedman
Post by Harrison Hill
purely on the strength of his on-line CV, a picked out by a
search-bot.
This wiki link to "Estate Agent", notes "Estate Agency" nine
times. You have lived out of England for so long, you have forgotten
how to speak the lingo. What sort of "agent" (in your mind) doesn't
work out of an "agency"?
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estate_agent>
Okay, "a cleansing agent" doesn't :)
A free agent? An FBI agent? A newsagent?
The FBI isn't an agency? W H Smiths isn't an agency? Why would
"a free agent" be "free" unless he had broken loose from...
Madrigal Gurneyhalt
The FBI is a bureau. It says so, right there in the title!
Harrison Hill
2018-02-22 19:46:21 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Jerry Friedman
Post by Harrison Hill
purely on the strength of his on-line CV, a picked out by a
search-bot.
This wiki link to "Estate Agent", notes "Estate Agency" nine
times. You have lived out of England for so long, you have forgotten
how to speak the lingo. What sort of "agent" (in your mind) doesn't
work out of an "agency"?
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estate_agent>
Okay, "a cleansing agent" doesn't :)
A free agent? An FBI agent? A newsagent?
The FBI isn't an agency? W H Smiths isn't an agency? Why would
"a free agent" be "free" unless he had broken loose from...
The FBI is a bureau. It says so, right there in the title!
Formed out of Pinkertons. I wonder if Pinkertons ever called
itself an Agency? :)
Tony Cooper
2018-02-23 04:02:38 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Madrigal Gurneyhalt
A free agent? An FBI agent? A newsagent?
The FBI isn't an agency? W H Smiths isn't an agency? Why would
"a free agent" be "free" unless he had broken loose from...
The FBI is a bureau. It says so, right there in the title!
Formed out of Pinkertons
No it wasn't.
Post by Harrison Hill
. I wonder if Pinkertons ever called
itself an Agency? :)
You could find out by Googling, you know. They were founded as the
Pinkerton National Detective Agency by Alan Pinkerton in 1850.

"The company now operates as 'Pinkerton Consulting & Investigations,
Inc. d.b.a. Pinkerton Corporate Risk Management', a division of the
Swedish security company Securitas AB. The former Government Services
division, PGS, now operates as Securitas Critical Infrastructure
Services, Inc."

Drifting a bit...the Wikipedia article cites a Pinkerton investigation
at Indiana University in 1890 regarding the "authorship of a student
'bogus'".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinkerton_(detective_agency)

Interesting to me because I understand the word "bogus" to mean
"false", but a) never thought of it as noun, and, b) thought it was
more recent word.

Dictionary sites define it as an adjective. One link says the word
was first attested from 1797 and may be related to the Scottish term
of "bogie", a traditional trickster from the Scottish borders.

Full circle. Alan Pinkerton was a Scotsman.
2018-02-23 12:39:43 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
[...]
Hmm. OED: A cant word of U.S., about the origin of which many guesses have been made, and ‘bogus’ derivations circumstantially given.

First citation dates from 1827.
Peter T. Daniels
But the agents aren't bureaucrats.
Madrigal Gurneyhalt
That rather depends on your point of view!
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2018-02-22 20:13:20 UTC
On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 10:40:52 -0800 (PST), Harrison Hill
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Jerry Friedman
Post by Harrison Hill
purely on the strength of his on-line CV, a picked out by a
search-bot.
This wiki link to "Estate Agent", notes "Estate Agency" nine
times. You have lived out of England for so long, you have forgotten
how to speak the lingo. What sort of "agent" (in your mind) doesn't
work out of an "agency"?
That wiki article is not restricted to Estate Agents in England. The
word agency seems to be used as a descriptive word, in that article,
rather than in the name of such a business.

There are two images. The first is of an agency in Belgium. The second
shows a "for sale" sign outside a house in London. The name of the
business on the sign is:

Townends
Estate Agents

The company's website is
https://townends.co.uk/
which says:

Estate Agents in London, Surrey and Hampshire
We are passionate about property
At Townends Estate Agents we are in a unique position with prime
high street presence covering London, Surrey Hampshire. Our branch
locations give us a distinct advantage when it comes to assisting
buyers, sellers, tenants and landlords. Find your local Townends
Estate Agents branch now.

That is a single example but to me is not unusual.

Looking at directory listings of such businesses, there are a few with
2018-02-23 08:16:13 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Jerry Friedman
Post by Harrison Hill
[...]
No one is questioning that "Agent" and "Agents" outnumber
"Agency", perhaps because they are snappier and more James Bondish
than a stuffy old Pinkerton-style "bureau"; but I only mention it
because of Athel's assertion: "I don't think I'd ever heard of an
Estate Agency before today"; about a phrase that was in common use,
on signs in every British High Street, when his grandparents were
children. One of the biggest Estate Agents in the country - Purple
Bricks - uses all three forms interchangeably, in the same way
that I do:

Purplebricks Estate Agency | A Proper Estate Agent | purplebricks.co.uk‎

<Adwww.purplebricks.co.uk/Estate-Agency/Instruct-Today‎>
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-02-24 09:49:49 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Jerry Friedman
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Jerry Friedman
Post by Harrison Hill
[...]
I don't understand your point: the word "agency", still less "Estate
Agency", doesn't appear on the page you linked to.
2018-02-24 12:54:13 UTC
On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 10:49:49 +0100, Athel Cornish-Bowden
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Jerry Friedman
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Jerry Friedman
Post by Harrison Hill
[...]
That was the point of the quotation. I was responding To Harrison
Post by Harrison Hill
This wiki link to "Estate Agent", notes "Estate Agency" nine
times. You have lived out of England for so long, you have forgotten
how to speak the lingo. What sort of "agent" (in your mind) doesn't
work out of an "agency"?
He seemed to be suggesting that all "agents" work out of an "agency".
Some "agents" may work out of an "agency", but many don't, including
those in my example.
2018-02-22 19:10:32 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Harrison Hill
purely on the strength of his on-line CV, a picked out by a
search-bot.
The thought must have struck you, Jerry, that teaching is a repetitive
task, better handled by books and bots. When I went back to college,
I'd attend; but only to swiftly adjourn to the bar, and read the text
books in peace and quiet: trying to memorise and mnemonicise the dry
facts.

There was only one teacher who got through to me, in my "mature student"
days, and I feel ashamed that I don't remember his name.