Discussion:
The People Power Government
(too old to reply)
Lazypierrot
2018-05-15 03:06:50 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Hi, I have found the following phrase "The People Power Government".

I wonder what it means.

Cordially,

LP
b***@shaw.ca
2018-05-15 03:16:18 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Monday, May 14, 2018 at 8:06:53 PM UTC-7, Lazypierrot wrote:
> Hi, I have found the following phrase "The People Power Government".
>
> I wonder what it means.
>
It doesn't have a generally accepted meaning. It often means
that rulers, whether they have been elected or have seized power,
are trying to convince the populace that the government is ruling
on their behalf. This is generally untrue.

bill
Mark Brader
2018-05-15 06:58:37 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
"Pierrot":
> > Hi, I have found the following phrase "The People Power Government".
> > I wonder what it means.

William Boei:
> It doesn't have a generally accepted meaning.

To me it specifically refers to the Philippine government when it was
under Corazon Aquino. However, I am not surprised if others have
used the same phrase, and in that case I'm sure Bill is right to say:

> It often means
> that rulers, whether they have been elected or have seized power,
> are trying to convince the populace that the government is ruling
> on their behalf. This is generally untrue.

--
Mark Brader "When laws are outlawed, only outlaws will have laws."
Toronto, ***@vex.net -- Diane Holt

My text in this article is in the public domain.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-05-15 07:36:26 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 2018-05-15 06:58:37 +0000, Mark Brader said:

> "Pierrot":
>>> Hi, I have found the following phrase "The People Power Government".
>>> I wonder what it means.
>
> William Boei:

A name that only appears in your posts!

>> It doesn't have a generally accepted meaning.
>
> To me it specifically refers to the Philippine government when it was
> under Corazon Aquino. However, I am not surprised if others have
> used the same phrase, and in that case I'm sure Bill is right to say:
>
>> It often means
>> that rulers, whether they have been elected or have seized power,
>> are trying to convince the populace that the government is ruling
>> on their behalf. This is generally untrue.


--
athel
Bart Dinnissen
2018-05-15 17:38:04 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Tue, 15 May 2018 09:36:26 +0200, in alt.usage.english Athel Cornish-Bowden <***@imm.cnrs.fr>
wrote:

>On 2018-05-15 06:58:37 +0000, Mark Brader said:
>
>> "Pierrot":
>>>> Hi, I have found the following phrase "The People Power Government".
>>>> I wonder what it means.
>>
>> William Boei:
>
>A name that only appears in your posts!

Certainly interesting. Why, Mark Brader?

--
Bart Dinnissen
occam
2018-05-15 18:16:49 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 15/05/2018 19:38, Bart Dinnissen wrote:
> On Tue, 15 May 2018 09:36:26 +0200, in alt.usage.english Athel Cornish-Bowden <***@imm.cnrs.fr>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2018-05-15 06:58:37 +0000, Mark Brader said:
>>
>>> "Pierrot":
>>>>> Hi, I have found the following phrase "The People Power Government".
>>>>> I wonder what it means.
>>>
>>> William Boei:
>>
>> A name that only appears in your posts!
>
> Certainly interesting. Why, Mark Brader?
>

Its a Canadian-to-Canadian thing. And not very funny.
Mark Brader
2018-05-15 18:59:07 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Bart Dinnissen:
> Why, Mark Brader?

Not my decision.
--
Mark Brader | "...given time, a generally accepted solution to
Toronto | this problem will evolve, as it has in the past for
***@vex.net | [others], only to be replaced by the next issue, which
| no-one has even dreamt of yet." -- Andrew Lawrence
b***@shaw.ca
2018-05-16 03:16:15 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at 11:59:14 AM UTC-7, Mark Brader wrote:
> Bart Dinnissen:

> > Why, Mark Brader?
>
> Not my decision.

You started using my real name on your own, and that was certainly
your decision.

I asked you why, I think you might have expressed
a preference for real names, and I told you to go ahead if you
wanted to, but to use my name as it appeared in my byline.

I gave you permission, but only as a result of your initiative.

bill
Mark Brader
2018-05-16 04:51:39 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
William Boei:
> I gave you permission, but only as a result of your initiative.

Thanks for explaining.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto, ***@vex.net
"sci fi: the plural of scum fum" -- Spider Robinson
Horace LaBadie
2018-05-15 03:20:50 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
In article <6a94045f-f3d2-43d8-8517-***@googlegroups.com>,
Lazypierrot <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I have found the following phrase "The People Power Government".
>
> I wonder what it means.
>
> Cordially,
>
> LP

All power to the people, as the Black Panthers used to say.
CDB
2018-05-15 12:17:09 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 5/14/2018 11:20 PM, Horace LaBadie wrote:
> Lazypierrot <***@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hi, I have found the following phrase "The People Power
>> Government".

>> I wonder what it means.

> All power to the people, as the Black Panthers used to say.

I wonder if LP wasn't thinking of the political party in Hong Kong. Do
you get Wikipedia, Pierrot? Lots more in the article.

'Although considered part of the pan-democracy camp, the party was
formed as the coalition to spite the pro-democratic Democratic Party who
supported the 2010 constitutional reform package in the 2011 District
Council elections,. The People Power claimed that the Democratic Party
had already defected to the Communist Party of China and "sold out" the
voters. The party filled in 62 candidates, many of them ran in the
constituencies against both the Democratic Party and pro-Beijing
candidates. Albert Chan gave up his seat in the Lai Hing constituency in
Tsuen Wan District to spine the Democratic Party chairman Albert Ho
Chun-yan in Lok Tsui in Tuen Mun District. The People Power failed in
winning any seat but a seat in Fung Cheung where the its candidate
Johnny Mak Ip-sing did not spine the pan-democracy party. After winning
just one seat of 62 contested, Albert Chan admitted that the strategy
had failed. Nevertheless, he insisted that the party would 'stay the
course'.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_Power_(Hong_Kong)
occam
2018-05-15 11:12:13 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 15/05/2018 05:06, Lazypierrot wrote:
> Hi, I have found the following phrase "The People Power Government".
>
> I wonder what it means.
>


It is a delusional concept, invented by activists to sustain their
futile struggle. A bit like "Money cannot buy happiness" is for poor
people.
Loading...