Here I sit / all broken-hearted -- earlier than 1944 ?
Add Reply
Hen Hanna
2018-01-10 00:06:56 UTC
The earliest I could find in Google.books was 1944.
I wonder if (e.g.) Poe, Swift knew it.

________________________________

1944 Interim - Volume 1, Issue 2 - Page 18

I am an inscription that men bandy, Saying, Okies, Arkies, — don't eat the candy. I have read their rimes, heard their songs; Have lived them all : Oh, if I can't have any canteen beer Then fill my belly with mess-hall steer; If a Kansas bastard has ate my share Then beat his bottom like the old gray mare. Here I sit all broken-hearted — My life belongs on a latrine wall.

________________________________

Here I sit, broken hearted, Tried to shit but only farted; Then one day I took a chance, Tried to fart but shit my pants! (Submitted by Aryeh G.)

Here I sit, cheeks a-flexin', ............

Here I sit all broken hearted; Paid a nickle to shit and only farted.

--- This version makes alot of sense.

it explains why [all broken hearted]
when a nickel was worth like 50 cents ?

I don't remember ever paying to use the WC.

HH
Hen Hanna
2018-01-10 22:09:44 UTC
Post by Hen Hanna
[...]
all these (phrases, movie tropes) are
like fossils ... with history packed inside.
Here I sit, broken-hearted, paid my dime, but only farted, Very next day, I took a chance, Saved my dime, but soiled my pants.

They way I've always heard it it went: Here I sit ALL broken hearted, tried to shit but only farted. As an aside, when I was in Russia in 1993, at the airport in Samara getting in is no problem, you have to pay to get out. Kielhofer 04:17, 14 August 2011 (UTC)

thanks so much for the post (1 hour ago) with
"bedsit" in it.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bedsit

a folk etymology of "bedsit" must be...

there's no room for chair, so you sit on the bed.

and that's pretty close to the truth. HH