Uncle Tom Cobbleigh and all
Add Reply
t***@gmail.com
2018-06-10 08:18:26 UTC
I also learnt this song in Primary School back in the 1950's. I don't know if anyone else of my age remembers it and who is living in Australia. We were told that it was an English folksong.

I have often used the words '...and Uncle Tom Cobley (sic) and all, and all' in internet posts to illustrate the unnecessary pile-up of politicians and others regarding a certain topic. My most recent use of it is in a twitter comment.

It's a great metaphor, I hope others will use it in the same way that I do. <s>
Kerr-Mudd,John
2018-06-10 09:20:22 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
I also learnt this song in Primary School back in the 1950's. I don't
know if anyone else of my age remembers it and who is living in
Australia. We were told that it was an English folksong.
I have often used the words '...and Uncle Tom Cobley (sic) and all,
and all' in internet posts to illustrate the unnecessary pile-up of
politicians and others regarding a certain topic. My most recent use
of it is in a twitter comment.
It's a great metaphor, I hope others will use it in the same way that I do. <s>
Now that you've found usenet, you can try responding to items that
occurred recently, and then be considered an useful contributor.
Eventually, you'll be allowed a proper newsreader.
2018-06-13 08:09:56 UTC
Post by Kerr-Mudd,John
Post by t***@gmail.com
I also learnt this song in Primary School back in the 1950's. I don't
know if anyone else of my age remembers it and who is living in
Australia. We were told that it was an English folksong.
I have often used the words '...and Uncle Tom Cobley (sic) and all,
and all' in internet posts to illustrate the unnecessary pile-up of
politicians and others regarding a certain topic. My most recent use
of it is in a twitter comment.
It's a great metaphor, I hope others will use it in the same way that I do. <s>
Now that you've found usenet,
That's like confusing weather for climate. Tottie has found 1 usenet
message.

Or maybe the better analogy is expecting that finding the tail tells
you the elephant's aunt's name.
Post by Kerr-Mudd,John
you can try responding to items that
occurred recently, and then be considered an useful contributor.
Eventually, you'll be allowed a proper newsreader.
Proper newsreader? Isn't that a BBC maven?

Right now I'm annoyed at my newsreader, because I accidently changed
the display size of the font in the message window, and I'm not quite
sure how I did it or how to get back.

When using GG and that happens, it's the browser and getting back is
quite simple.

"What do you think of my cart, Miss Morland? A neat one, is not it?
Well hung: curricle-hung in fact. Come sit by me and we'll test the
springs."
(Speculative fiction by H.Lacedaemonian.)