hard-on
curmudgeon
2013-10-30 10:20:58 UTC
I have never understood this word. Why the "-on"? I don't like it and want people to stop using it. Please use "erection" from now on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXyP4U1hl34
James Hogg
2013-10-30 10:34:39 UTC
curmudgeon wrote:
> I have never understood this word. Why the "-on"? I don't like it and want people to stop using it. Please use "erection" from now on.

Why not just erecti?

James
Bod
2013-10-30 12:14:18 UTC

Stiffy?
CDB
2013-10-30 13:16:09 UTC
On 30/10/2013 6:34 AM, James Hogg wrote:
> curmudgeon wrote:

>> I have never understood this word. Why the "-on"? I don't like it
>> and want people to stop using it. Please use "erection" from now on.

I have always assumed "on" was an adverbial completion, as in "I have a
hat on".

Ah! Si la vieillesse pouvait.
g***@gmail.com
2013-10-30 13:31:07 UTC

fine... erecti-on
Gus Overton
2013-10-30 18:21:02 UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pruYLmuEbjg
Mike L
2013-10-30 20:28:58 UTC
On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 11:21:02 -0700 (PDT), Gus Overton
<***@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 9:16:09 AM UTC-4, CDB wrote:

>> I have always assumed "on" was an adverbial completion, as in "I have a
>>
>> hat on".
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pruYLmuEbjg

"Why do they always leave their socks on?"

Mike.
CDB
2013-10-31 11:14:39 UTC

But you really posted it for the name, right?
Joe Fineman
2013-10-30 21:45:08 UTC
CDB <***@gmail.com> writes:

> On 30/10/2013 6:34 AM, James Hogg wrote:
>> curmudgeon wrote:
>
>>> I have never understood this word. Why the "-on"? I don't like it
>>> and want people to stop using it. Please use "erection" from now
>>> on.
>
> I have always assumed "on" was an adverbial completion, as in "I have
> a hat on".

Right. "Hard" by itself is a slang noun for erection. "To have a hard
on" got reparsed as "to have a hardon" with "hardon" a noun.
--
--- Joe Fineman ***@verizon.net

||: Eating beef is the second most overrated pleasure in :||
||: America. :||
a***@alum.wpi.edi
2013-10-30 22:38:40 UTC
On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 17:45:08 -0400, Joe Fineman <***@verizon.net>
wrote:

>CDB <***@gmail.com> writes:

>> I have always assumed "on" was an adverbial completion, as in "I have
>> a hat on".
>
>Right. "Hard" by itself is a slang noun for erection. "To have a hard
>on" got reparsed as "to have a hardon" with "hardon" a noun.

You used to hear "a mad on" sometimes, it was both a ruralism and a
city expression. The Citified usage was probably Yinglish, but I
dunno if that would have made it into the backswoods.

ANMcC
Bod
2013-10-31 05:12:31 UTC

When the moment has gone, one never hears of "I've got a hardoff" though ;-)
R H Draney
2013-10-31 07:00:32 UTC
Bod filted:

>On 30/10/2013 21:45, Joe Fineman wrote:
>>
>> Right. "Hard" by itself is a slang noun for erection. "To have a hard
>> on" got reparsed as "to have a hardon" with "hardon" a noun.
>>
>When the moment has gone, one never hears of "I've got a hardoff" though ;-)

One mightn't, but others have...I recall a story in one of the "adult" magazines
back in the 1970s involving a group of witches playing a series of escalating
pranks on one another...one cast a spell that locked the other into coitus with
an unappealing warlock at a convocation, and the second witch tried to get the
warlock to lose his erection and free her by casting a spell to make herself
extremely ugly, attempting (in the words of her narration) to "give him a
hard-off"....r

--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.
Bod
2013-10-31 07:06:50 UTC

I stand(no pun intended) enlightened :-)
Robert Bannister
2013-10-31 07:42:52 UTC
On 31/10/2013 3:00 pm, R H Draney wrote:
> Bod filted:
>>
>> On 30/10/2013 21:45, Joe Fineman wrote:
>>>
>>> Right. "Hard" by itself is a slang noun for erection. "To have a hard
>>> on" got reparsed as "to have a hardon" with "hardon" a noun.
>>>
>> When the moment has gone, one never hears of "I've got a hardoff" though ;-)
>
> One mightn't, but others have...I recall a story in one of the "adult" magazines
> back in the 1970s involving a group of witches playing a series of escalating
> pranks on one another...one cast a spell that locked the other into coitus with
> an unappealing warlock at a convocation, and the second witch tried to get the
> warlock to lose his erection and free her by casting a spell to make herself
> extremely ugly, attempting (in the words of her narration) to "give him a
> hard-off"....r

We never got comics like that when we were at school.

Robert Bannister
Peter T. Daniels
2013-10-31 11:54:20 UTC

That's a "soft-off." (I'm not making this up, you know.)
Gus Overton
2013-10-31 13:43:20 UTC

Why doesn't "jerk off" have hyphen?
Adam Funk
2013-10-31 13:55:39 UTC
On 2013-10-31, Gus Overton wrote:

> On Thursday, October 31, 2013 7:54:20 AM UTC-4, Peter T. Daniels wrote:

>> > When the moment has gone, one never hears of "I've got a hardoff" though ;-)
>>

>> That's a "soft-off." (I'm not making this up, you know.)
>

> Why doesn't "jerk off" have hyphen?

I'd certainly spell the noun (but not the verb) with a hyphen.

--
Classical Greek lent itself to the promulgation of a rich culture,
indeed, to Western civilization. Computer languages bring us
Tetris clones. (Stoll 1995)
CDB
2013-10-31 15:34:24 UTC

It does when it's a noun meaning "negigible male person".
Peter T. Daniels
2013-10-31 17:42:00 UTC

Who says it doesn't? Use it where a hyphen is needed, it gets a hyphen.
fabzorba
2013-11-01 03:15:10 UTC

Dunno...Why doesn't your hyphen have an indefinite article?
fabzorba
2013-11-03 02:14:25 UTC
On Thursday, 31 October 2013 22:54:20 UTC+11, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
> On Thursday, October 31, 2013 1:12:31 AM UTC-4, Bod wrote: > On 30/10/2013 21:45, Joe Fineman wrote: > > Right. "Hard" by itself is a slang noun for erection. "To have a hard > > on" got reparsed as "to have a hardon" with "hardon" a noun. > > When the moment has gone, one never hears of "I've got a hardoff" though ;-) That's a "soft-off." (I'm not making this up, you know.)

The only term I can think of which describes this phenomenon, and has an opposite with a diminish prefix attached to the same phonemes as for the original
is tumescence and detumescence, or the adjectives tumescent and detumescent.
fabzorba
2013-11-03 02:17:46 UTC

Adam Funk
2013-10-31 13:56:32 UTC
On 2013-10-30, Joe Fineman wrote:

> CDB <***@gmail.com> writes:

>> I have always assumed "on" was an adverbial completion, as in "I have
>> a hat on".
>
> Right. "Hard" by itself is a slang noun for erection.

Is currently or was? I don't think I've ever heard that.

> "To have a hard
> on" got reparsed as "to have a hardon" with "hardon" a noun.

OK.

No sport is less organized than Calvinball!
Steve Hayes
2013-10-30 10:50:06 UTC
On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 03:20:58 -0700 (PDT), curmudgeon <***@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I have never understood this word. Why the "-on"? I don't like it and want people to stop using it. Please use "erection" from now on.

Erection is so 1980s.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com
fabzorba
2013-10-30 16:29:36 UTC
On Wednesday, 30 October 2013 20:50:06 UTC+10, Steve Hayes wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 03:20:58 -0700 (PDT), curmudgeon <***@gmail.com> wrote: >I have never understood this word. Why the "-on"? I don't like it and want people to stop using it. Please use "erection" from now on. Erection is so 1980s.

I assume this was when you last had one.

Or did I underestimate a capacity for whimsical self-deprecation
on your part that I had never noticed before?
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2013-10-30 12:46:10 UTC
<***@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have never understood this word. Why the "-on"? I don't like it and want people to stop using it. Please use "erection" from now on.
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXyP4U1hl34

Spoilsport. ;-)

How could we then get any fun from the spelling The Large Hardon
Collider at CERN?

g***@gmail.com
2013-10-30 13:29:42 UTC

What things we will learn.
Joe Fineman
2013-10-30 21:47:46 UTC
***@gmail.com writes:

>> How could we then get any fun from the spelling The Large Hardon
>> Collider at CERN?

While I was working at The Physical Review in the 1960s, we actually
received a MS titled something like "Interactions of Pions with Hardons
at 300 MeV". Strange games are played by physicists at those big
machines in the wee hours of the morning.
--
--- Joe Fineman ***@verizon.net

||: The tragedy is not what we suffer, but what we miss. :||
John Briggs
2013-10-30 22:41:16 UTC
On 30/10/2013 21:47, Joe Fineman wrote:
> ***@gmail.com writes:
>
>>> How could we then get any fun from the spelling The Large Hardon
>>> Collider at CERN?
>
> While I was working at The Physical Review in the 1960s, we actually
> received a MS titled something like "Interactions of Pions with Hardons
> at 300 MeV". Strange games are played by physicists at those big
> machines in the wee hours of the morning.

But a Pion is a Hadron.
John Briggs
Snidely
2013-10-31 08:31:58 UTC
On Wednesday, John Briggs exclaimed wildly:

>> While I was working at The Physical Review in the 1960s, we actually
>> received a MS titled something like "Interactions of Pions with Hardons
>> at 300 MeV". Strange games are played by physicists at those big
>> machines in the wee hours of the morning.
>
> But a Pion is a Hadron.

There are others, aren't there?

"I am not given to exaggeration, and when I say a thing I mean it"
_Roughing It_, Mark Twain
Gus
2013-11-02 10:36:50 UTC

I am familiar with that MS. It concluded that up keep was going to be difficult, especially as it aged. And periodic interference from politicians blocking it could be expected.
Robert Bannister
2013-11-03 00:07:40 UTC
On 2/11/2013 6:36 pm, Gus wrote:

>> While I was working at The Physical Review in the 1960s, we
>> actually received a MS titled something like "Interactions of Pions
>> with Hardons at 300 MeV". Strange games are played by physicists
>> at those big machines in the wee hours of the morning.
>>
>> --
>

> I am familiar with that MS. It concluded that up keep was going to
> be difficult, especially as it aged. And periodic interference from
> politicians blocking it could be expected.

It does sound a good place to put politicians even if they do block it
for a while.
--
Robert Bannister - 1940-71 SE England
1972-now W Australia
Gus
2013-11-03 01:19:19 UTC
On Saturday, November 2, 2013 8:07:40 PM UTC-4, Robert Bannister wrote:

> >> While I was working at The Physical Review in the 1960s, we
>
> >> actually received a MS titled something like "Interactions of Pions
>
> >> with Hardons at 300 MeV". Strange games are played by physicists
>
> >> at those big machines in the wee hours of the morning.
>

> >> --
>

> > I am familiar with that MS. It concluded that up keep was going to
>
> > be difficult, especially as it aged. And periodic interference from
>
> > politicians blocking it could be expected.
>

> It does sound a good place to put politicians even if they do block it
> for a while.
>
> --

never mind the bollocks.

ps what does that expression mean?
Adam Funk
2013-10-30 16:19:12 UTC
On 2013-10-30, Peter Duncanson [BrE] wrote:

> Spoilsport. ;-)
>
> How could we then get any fun from the spelling The Large Hardon
> Collider at CERN?

I was born in the physics department
My father wore a lab coat with flair
My mother was a geek freak you could call on
And when you called her she'd always be there
When you called her she'd always be there

So don't go home with your hadron
It will only drive you insane...

(Apologies to Leonard Cohen)

--
Everybody says sex is obscene. The only true obscenity
is war. --- Henry Miller
Mike L
2013-10-30 20:32:31 UTC
On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 16:19:12 +0000, Adam Funk <***@ducksburg.com>
wrote:

>On 2013-10-30, Peter Duncanson [BrE] wrote:
>
>> Spoilsport. ;-)
>>
>> How could we then get any fun from the spelling The Large Hardon
>> Collider at CERN?
>

>I was born in the physics department
>My father wore a lab coat with flair
>My mother was a geek freak you could call on
>And when you called her she'd always be there
>When you called her she'd always be there
>
>So don't go home with your hadron
>It will only drive you insane...
>

>(Apologies to Leonard Cohen)

The moment's probably passed by now, but the proposal would have
deprived British children learning French of a little snigger about
the talented Miss Fanny Ardent.

Mike.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2013-10-31 18:19:12 UTC
On 2013-10-30 21:32:31 +0100, Mike L <***@yahoo.co.uk> said:

> On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 16:19:12 +0000, Adam Funk <***@ducksburg.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2013-10-30, Peter Duncanson [BrE] wrote:
>>
>>> Spoilsport. ;-)
>>>
>>> How could we then get any fun from the spelling The Large Hardon
>>> Collider at CERN?
>>

>> I was born in the physics department
>> My father wore a lab coat with flair
>> My mother was a geek freak you could call on
>> And when you called her she'd always be there
>> When you called her she'd always be there
>>
>> So don't go home with your hadron
>> It will only drive you insane...
>>

>> (Apologies to Leonard Cohen)
>
> The moment's probably passed by now, but the proposal would have
> deprived British children learning French of a little snigger about
> the talented Miss Fanny Ardent.

It serves them (the French, I mean) right for sniggering about the
signs that say "Caution: Soft verge ahead' on British motorways.

But I agree that Miss Ardent is very talented. She ran rings around
Miss Deneuve under the table in Huit Femmes.

t***@gmail.com
2013-10-31 14:02:12 UTC
On Wednesday, 30 October 2013 16:19:12 UTC, Adam Funk wrote:
> On 2013-10-30, Peter Duncanson [BrE] wrote:

>> How could we then get any fun from the
>> spelling The Large Hardon Collider at CERN?

> I was born in the physics department
> My father wore a lab coat with flair
> My mother was a geek freak you could call on
> And when you called her she'd always be there
> When you called her she'd always be there
>
> So don't go home with your hadron
> It will only drive you insane...

> (Apologies to Leonard Cohen)

That is hurtful and unfair.
tiny
Adam Funk
2013-10-31 14:27:32 UTC
On 2013-10-31, ***@gmail.com wrote:

> On Wednesday, 30 October 2013 16:19:12 UTC, Adam Funk wrote:
>> On 2013-10-30, Peter Duncanson [BrE] wrote:
>
>>> How could we then get any fun from the
>>> spelling The Large Hardon Collider at CERN?
>
>> I was born in the physics department
>> My father wore a lab coat with flair
>> My mother was a geek freak you could call on
>> And when you called her she'd always be there
>> When you called her she'd always be there
>>
>> So don't go home with your hadron
>> It will only drive you insane...
>
>> (Apologies to Leonard Cohen)
>
> That is hurtful and unfair.

To whom? (I said sorry to Leonard Cohen!)

--
"It is the role of librarians to keep government running in difficult
times," replied Dramoren. "Librarians are the last line of defence
against chaos." (McMullen 2001)
t***@gmail.com
2013-10-31 16:49:28 UTC
On Thursday, 31 October 2013 14:27:32 UTC, Adam Funk wrote:

> >> I was born in the physics department
> >> My father wore a lab coat with flair
> >> My mother was a geek freak you could call on
> >> And when you called her she'd always be there
> >> When you called her she'd always be there
> >>
> >> So don't go home with your hadron
> >> It will only drive you insane...
> >> (Apologies to Leonard Cohen)
>
> > That is hurtful and unfair.
>
> To whom? (I said sorry to Leonard Cohen!)

Oh fie sir! Have you not even a small apology for a hadron?
tiny
Marvin J. Mooney
2018-05-16 02:44:58 UTC
Best science headline since the Large Hardon Collider:

"Uranus smells like farts, scientists confirm"

<http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-tuesday-full-episode-1.4633051/uranus-smells-like-farts-scientists-confirm-1.4633058>
fabzorba
2013-10-30 17:15:01 UTC
On Wednesday, 30 October 2013 20:20:58 UTC+10, Gus Overton wrote:
> I have never understood this word. Why the "-on"? I don't like it and want people to stop using it. Please use "erection" from now on. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXyP4U1hl34

No thank you, I won't...

I like stiffie, coz it is unassuming and funny without being derisory.

It is rare for Australians to have the upper hand in liguistic matters
but of all the innumerable variations, I think ours is the best:

"crack a fat"
R H Draney
2013-10-30 20:54:12 UTC
curmudgeon filted:

>I have never understood this word. Why the "-on"? I don't like it and want
>people to stop using it. Please use "erection" from now on.

Uh oh...now you've pulled a boner....r

--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.