hard-on
Add Reply
curmudgeon
2013-10-30 10:20:58 UTC
I have never understood this word. Why the "-on"? I don't like it and want people to stop using it. Please use "erection" from now on.

James Hogg
2013-10-30 10:34:39 UTC
Post by curmudgeon
I have never understood this word. Why the "-on"? I don't like it and want people to stop using it. Please use "erection" from now on.
Why not just erecti?
James
Bod
2013-10-30 12:14:18 UTC
Stiffy?
CDB
2013-10-30 13:16:09 UTC
Post by James Hogg
Post by curmudgeon
I have never understood this word. Why the "-on"? I don't like it
and want people to stop using it. Please use "erection" from now on.
I have always assumed "on" was an adverbial completion, as in "I have a
hat on".
Post by James Hogg
Why not just erecti?
Ah! Si la vieillesse pouvait.
g***@gmail.com
2013-10-30 13:31:07 UTC
Post by James Hogg
Post by curmudgeon
I have never understood this word. Why the "-on"? I don't like it
and want people to stop using it. Please use "erection" from now on.
I have always assumed "on" was an adverbial completion, as in "I have a
hat on".
Post by James Hogg
Why not just erecti?
fine... erecti-on
Gus Overton

Mike L
2013-10-30 20:28:58 UTC
On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 11:21:02 -0700 (PDT), Gus Overton
Post by Gus Overton
Post by CDB
Post by curmudgeon
I have never understood this word. Why the "-on"? I don't like it
and want people to stop using it. Please use "erection" from now on.
I have always assumed "on" was an adverbial completion, as in "I have a
hat on".
http://youtu.be/pruYLmuEbjg
"Why do they always leave their socks on?"
Mike.
CDB
But you really posted it for the name, right?
Joe Fineman
2013-10-30 21:45:08 UTC
Post by curmudgeon
I have never understood this word. Why the "-on"? I don't like it
and want people to stop using it. Please use "erection" from now on.
I have always assumed "on" was an adverbial completion, as in "I have
a hat on".
Right. "Hard" by itself is a slang noun for erection. "To have a hard
on" got reparsed as "to have a hardon" with "hardon" a noun.
--
--- Joe Fineman ***@verizon.net

||: Eating beef is the second most overrated pleasure in :||
||: America. :||
a***@alum.wpi.edi
2013-10-30 22:38:40 UTC
Post by Joe Fineman
Post by CDB
Post by curmudgeon
I have never understood this word. Why the "-on"? I don't like it
and want people to stop using it. Please use "erection" from now on.
I have always assumed "on" was an adverbial completion, as in "I have
a hat on".
Right. "Hard" by itself is a slang noun for erection. "To have a hard
on" got reparsed as "to have a hardon" with "hardon" a noun.
You used to hear "a mad on" sometimes, it was both a ruralism and a
city expression. The Citified usage was probably Yinglish, but I
dunno if that would have made it into the backswoods.

ANMcC
Bod
When the moment has gone, one never hears of "I've got a hardoff" though ;-)
R H Draney
2013-10-31 07:00:32 UTC
Post by Bod
Post by Joe Fineman
Right. "Hard" by itself is a slang noun for erection. "To have a hard
on" got reparsed as "to have a hardon" with "hardon" a noun.
When the moment has gone, one never hears of "I've got a hardoff" though ;-)
One mightn't, but others have...I recall a story in one of the "adult" magazines
back in the 1970s involving a group of witches playing a series of escalating
pranks on one another...one cast a spell that locked the other into coitus with
an unappealing warlock at a convocation, and the second witch tried to get the
warlock to lose his erection and free her by casting a spell to make herself
extremely ugly, attempting (in the words of her narration) to "give him a
hard-off"....r
--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.
Bod
I stand(no pun intended) enlightened :-)
Robert Bannister
2013-10-31 07:42:52 UTC
Post by R H Draney
Post by Bod
Post by Joe Fineman
Right. "Hard" by itself is a slang noun for erection. "To have a hard
on" got reparsed as "to have a hardon" with "hardon" a noun.
When the moment has gone, one never hears of "I've got a hardoff" though ;-)
One mightn't, but others have...I recall a story in one of the "adult" magazines
back in the 1970s involving a group of witches playing a series of escalating
pranks on one another...one cast a spell that locked the other into coitus with
an unappealing warlock at a convocation, and the second witch tried to get the
warlock to lose his erection and free her by casting a spell to make herself
extremely ugly, attempting (in the words of her narration) to "give him a
hard-off"....r
We never got comics like that when we were at school.
Robert Bannister
Peter T. Daniels
2013-10-31 11:54:20 UTC
That's a "soft-off." (I'm not making this up, you know.)
Gus Overton
Why doesn't "jerk off" have hyphen?
Adam Funk
2013-10-31 13:55:39 UTC
Post by Gus Overton
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Bod
Post by Joe Fineman
Right. "Hard" by itself is a slang noun for erection. "To have a hard
on" got reparsed as "to have a hardon" with "hardon" a noun.
When the moment has gone, one never hears of "I've got a hardoff" though ;-)
That's a "soft-off." (I'm not making this up, you know.)
Why doesn't "jerk off" have hyphen?
I'd certainly spell the noun (but not the verb) with a hyphen.
--
Classical Greek lent itself to the promulgation of a rich culture,
indeed, to Western civilization. Computer languages bring us
Tetris clones. (Stoll 1995)
CDB
It does when it's a noun meaning "negigible male person".
Peter T. Daniels
2013-10-31 17:42:00 UTC
Who says it doesn't? Use it where a hyphen is needed, it gets a hyphen.
fabzorba
2013-11-01 03:15:10 UTC
Dunno...Why doesn't your hyphen have an indefinite article?
fabzorba
2013-11-03 02:14:25 UTC
On Thursday, October 31, 2013 1:12:31 AM UTC-4, Bod wrote: > On 30/10/2013 21:45, Joe Fineman wrote: > > Right. "Hard" by itself is a slang noun for erection. "To have a hard > > on" got reparsed as "to have a hardon" with "hardon" a noun. > > When the moment has gone, one never hears of "I've got a hardoff" though ;-) That's a "soft-off." (I'm not making this up, you know.)
The only term I can think of which describes this phenomenon, and has an opposite with a diminish prefix attached to the same phonemes as for the original
is tumescence and detumescence, or the adjectives tumescent and detumescent.
fabzorba
Adam Funk
2013-10-31 13:56:32 UTC
Post by Joe Fineman
Post by CDB
Post by curmudgeon
I have never understood this word. Why the "-on"? I don't like it
and want people to stop using it. Please use "erection" from now on.
I have always assumed "on" was an adverbial completion, as in "I have
a hat on".
Right. "Hard" by itself is a slang noun for erection.
Is currently or was? I don't think I've ever heard that.
Post by Joe Fineman
"To have a hard
on" got reparsed as "to have a hardon" with "hardon" a noun.
OK.
No sport is less organized than Calvinball!
Steve Hayes
2013-10-30 10:50:06 UTC
Post by curmudgeon
I have never understood this word. Why the "-on"? I don't like it and want people to stop using it. Please use "erection" from now on.
Erection is so 1980s.
--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com
fabzorba
2013-10-30 16:29:36 UTC
I assume this was when you last had one.

Or did I underestimate a capacity for whimsical self-deprecation
on your part that I had never noticed before?
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2013-10-30 12:46:10 UTC
On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 03:20:58 -0700 (PDT), curmudgeon
Post by curmudgeon
I have never understood this word. Why the "-on"? I don't like it and want people to stop using it. Please use "erection" from now on.
http://youtu.be/yXyP4U1hl34
Spoilsport. ;-)

How could we then get any fun from the spelling The Large Hardon
Collider at CERN?
g***@gmail.com
What things we will learn.
Joe Fineman
2013-10-30 21:47:46 UTC
How could we then get any fun from the spelling The Large Hardon
Collider at CERN?
While I was working at The Physical Review in the 1960s, we actually
received a MS titled something like "Interactions of Pions with Hardons
at 300 MeV". Strange games are played by physicists at those big
machines in the wee hours of the morning.
--
--- Joe Fineman ***@verizon.net

||: The tragedy is not what we suffer, but what we miss. :||
John Briggs
2013-10-30 22:41:16 UTC
Post by Joe Fineman
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
How could we then get any fun from the spelling The Large Hardon
Collider at CERN?
While I was working at The Physical Review in the 1960s, we actually
received a MS titled something like "Interactions of Pions with Hardons
at 300 MeV". Strange games are played by physicists at those big
machines in the wee hours of the morning.
But a Pion is a Hadron.
John Briggs
Snidely
2013-10-31 08:31:58 UTC
Post by John Briggs
Post by Joe Fineman
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
How could we then get any fun from the spelling The Large Hardon
Collider at CERN?
While I was working at The Physical Review in the 1960s, we actually
received a MS titled something like "Interactions of Pions with Hardons
at 300 MeV". Strange games are played by physicists at those big
machines in the wee hours of the morning.
But a Pion is a Hadron.
There are others, aren't there?

"I am not given to exaggeration, and when I say a thing I mean it"
_Roughing It_, Mark Twain
Gus
I am familiar with that MS. It concluded that up keep was going to be difficult, especially as it aged. And periodic interference from politicians blocking it could be expected.
Robert Bannister
2013-11-03 00:07:40 UTC
Post by Gus
Post by Joe Fineman
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
How could we then get any fun from the spelling The Large
Hardon Collider at CERN?
While I was working at The Physical Review in the 1960s, we
actually received a MS titled something like "Interactions of Pions
with Hardons at 300 MeV". Strange games are played by physicists
at those big machines in the wee hours of the morning.
--
I am familiar with that MS. It concluded that up keep was going to
be difficult, especially as it aged. And periodic interference from
politicians blocking it could be expected.
It does sound a good place to put politicians even if they do block it
for a while.
--
Robert Bannister - 1940-71 SE England
1972-now W Australia
Gus
2013-11-03 01:19:19 UTC
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by Gus
Post by Joe Fineman
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
How could we then get any fun from the spelling The Large
Hardon Collider at CERN?
While I was working at The Physical Review in the 1960s, we
actually received a MS titled something like "Interactions of Pions
with Hardons at 300 MeV". Strange games are played by physicists
at those big machines in the wee hours of the morning.
--
I am familiar with that MS. It concluded that up keep was going to
be difficult, especially as it aged. And periodic interference from
politicians blocking it could be expected.
It does sound a good place to put politicians even if they do block it
for a while.
--
never mind the bollocks.

ps what does that expression mean?
Adam Funk
2013-10-30 16:19:12 UTC
Spoilsport. ;-)
How could we then get any fun from the spelling The Large Hardon
Collider at CERN?
I was born in the physics department
My father wore a lab coat with flair
My mother was a geek freak you could call on
And when you called her she'd always be there
When you called her she'd always be there

So don't go home with your hadron
It will only drive you insane...

(Apologies to Leonard Cohen)
--
Everybody says sex is obscene. The only true obscenity
is war. --- Henry Miller
Mike L
2013-10-30 20:32:31 UTC
Post by Adam Funk
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
Spoilsport. ;-)
How could we then get any fun from the spelling The Large Hardon
Collider at CERN?
I was born in the physics department
My father wore a lab coat with flair
My mother was a geek freak you could call on
And when you called her she'd always be there
When you called her she'd always be there
So don't go home with your hadron
It will only drive you insane...
(Apologies to Leonard Cohen)
The moment's probably passed by now, but the proposal would have
deprived British children learning French of a little snigger about
the talented Miss Fanny Ardent.
Mike.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2013-10-31 18:19:12 UTC
Post by Mike L
Post by Adam Funk
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
Spoilsport. ;-)
How could we then get any fun from the spelling The Large Hardon
Collider at CERN?
I was born in the physics department
My father wore a lab coat with flair
My mother was a geek freak you could call on
And when you called her she'd always be there
When you called her she'd always be there
So don't go home with your hadron
It will only drive you insane...
(Apologies to Leonard Cohen)
The moment's probably passed by now, but the proposal would have
deprived British children learning French of a little snigger about
the talented Miss Fanny Ardent.
It serves them (the French, I mean) right for sniggering about the
signs that say "Caution: Soft verge ahead' on British motorways.

But I agree that Miss Ardent is very talented. She ran rings around
Miss Deneuve under the table in Huit Femmes.
t***@gmail.com
2013-10-31 14:02:12 UTC
Post by Adam Funk
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
How could we then get any fun from the
spelling The Large Hardon Collider at CERN?
I was born in the physics department
My father wore a lab coat with flair
My mother was a geek freak you could call on
And when you called her she'd always be there
When you called her she'd always be there
So don't go home with your hadron
It will only drive you insane...
(Apologies to Leonard Cohen)
That is hurtful and unfair.
tiny
Adam Funk
2013-10-31 14:27:32 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
Post by Adam Funk
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
How could we then get any fun from the
spelling The Large Hardon Collider at CERN?
I was born in the physics department
My father wore a lab coat with flair
My mother was a geek freak you could call on
And when you called her she'd always be there
When you called her she'd always be there
So don't go home with your hadron
It will only drive you insane...
(Apologies to Leonard Cohen)
That is hurtful and unfair.
To whom? (I said sorry to Leonard Cohen!)
--
"It is the role of librarians to keep government running in difficult
times," replied Dramoren. "Librarians are the last line of defence
against chaos." (McMullen 2001)
t***@gmail.com
2013-10-31 16:49:28 UTC
Post by Adam Funk
Post by t***@gmail.com
Post by Adam Funk
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
How could we then get any fun from the
spelling The Large Hardon Collider at CERN?
I was born in the physics department
My father wore a lab coat with flair
My mother was a geek freak you could call on
And when you called her she'd always be there
When you called her she'd always be there
So don't go home with your hadron
It will only drive you insane...
(Apologies to Leonard Cohen)
That is hurtful and unfair.
To whom? (I said sorry to Leonard Cohen!)
Oh fie sir! Have you not even a small apology for a hadron?
tiny
Marvin J. Mooney
2018-05-16 02:44:58 UTC
Best science headline since the Large Hardon Collider:

"Uranus smells like farts, scientists confirm"

<http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-tuesday-full-episode-1.4633051/uranus-smells-like-farts-scientists-confirm-1.4633058>
fabzorba
2013-10-30 17:15:01 UTC
I have never understood this word. Why the "-on"? I don't like it and want people to stop using it. Please use "erection" from now on. http://youtu.be/yXyP4U1hl34
No thank you, I won't...

I like stiffie, coz it is unassuming and funny without being derisory.

It is rare for Australians to have the upper hand in liguistic matters
but of all the innumerable variations, I think ours is the best:

"crack a fat"
R H Draney
2013-10-30 20:54:12 UTC
Post by curmudgeon
I have never understood this word. Why the "-on"? I don't like it and want
people to stop using it. Please use "erection" from now on.
Uh oh...now you've pulled a boner....r
--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.