Discussion:
How so?
(too old to reply)
Harrison Hill
2018-05-15 20:22:21 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5JHGi0awgc>
Harrison Hill
2018-05-16 07:33:25 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Tuesday, 15 May 2018 21:22:24 UTC+1, Harrison Hill wrote:
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5JHGi0awgc>

"Abraham was a Hebrew but he was not technically an Israelite nor was
he a Jew, but Jacob was both a Hebrew and the first Israelite but not
a Jew, while King David (as a member of the Tribe of Judah) was all
three, a Hebrew, an Israelite, and a Judahite (Yehudi, Jew). A
Samaritan, on the contrary, while being both a Hebrew and an Israelite,
is not a Jew".

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israelites>

How do the Rastas manage to associate themselves as Israelites?
Ross
2018-05-16 09:51:11 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 7:33:28 PM UTC+12, Harrison Hill wrote:
> On Tuesday, 15 May 2018 21:22:24 UTC+1, Harrison Hill wrote:
> > <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5JHGi0awgc>
>
> "Abraham was a Hebrew but he was not technically an Israelite nor was
> he a Jew, but Jacob was both a Hebrew and the first Israelite but not
> a Jew, while King David (as a member of the Tribe of Judah) was all
> three, a Hebrew, an Israelite, and a Judahite (Yehudi, Jew). A
> Samaritan, on the contrary, while being both a Hebrew and an Israelite,
> is not a Jew".
>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israelites>
>
> How do the Rastas manage to associate themselves as Israelites?

Wire the White House to see if there's an official opinion.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-05-16 10:47:59 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 2018-05-16 11:51:11 +0200, Ross <***@ihug.co.nz> said:

> On Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 7:33:28 PM UTC+12, Harrison Hill wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 15 May 2018 21:22:24 UTC+1, Harrison Hill wrote:
>>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5JHGi0awgc>
>>
>> "Abraham was a Hebrew but he was not technically an Israelite nor was
>> he a Jew, but Jacob was both a Hebrew and the first Israelite but not
>> a Jew, while King David (as a member of the Tribe of Judah) was all
>> three, a Hebrew, an Israelite, and a Judahite (Yehudi, Jew). A
>> Samaritan, on the contrary, while being both a Hebrew and an Israelite,
>> is not a Jew".
>>
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israelites>
>>
>> How do the Rastas manage to associate themselves as Israelites?
>
> Wire the White House to see if there's an official opinion.

Or just go and ask a Rasta, but I don't we have any here.

My recollection (not checked today) is that the Rastafarians regard
themselves as descendants of King Solomon and the Queen of Sheba. No
crazier, I suppose, than what the Mormons and the British Israelites
believe.


--
athel
Peter T. Daniels
2018-05-16 12:33:57 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 3:33:28 AM UTC-4, Harrison Hill wrote:
> On Tuesday, 15 May 2018 21:22:24 UTC+1, Harrison Hill wrote:

> > <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5JHGi0awgc>
>
> "Abraham was a Hebrew but he was not technically an Israelite nor was
> he a Jew, but Jacob was both a Hebrew and the first Israelite but not
> a Jew, while King David (as a member of the Tribe of Judah) was all
> three, a Hebrew, an Israelite, and a Judahite (Yehudi, Jew). A
> Samaritan, on the contrary, while being both a Hebrew and an Israelite,
> is not a Jew".
>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israelites>

What a bizarre agglomeration of confusions is found in that single
paragraph! Beginning with the initial assumptions that "Abraham" and
"King David" were individual, historical persons. And the incorrect
quasi-definition of "Jew." And the suggestion that someone could be
simultaneously an "Israelite" -- a member of the Northern Kingdom --
and a "Judahite" -- a member of the Southern Kingdom -- during the
alleged or mythical "United Monarchy," before there was any such
thing as "Israelites" and "Judahites" (the latter except in the sense
of the Tribe of Judah). And the notion that "Hebrew" is an ethnonym.

> How do the Rastas manage to associate themselves as Israelites?

What brought that on?

You might look into the story of "King Solomon" and the "Queen of Sheba."
Richard Tobin
2018-05-16 13:12:24 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
In article <df6503f4-a011-4bef-87a0-***@googlegroups.com>,
Peter T. Daniels <***@verizon.net> wrote:

>> "Abraham was a Hebrew but he was not technically an Israelite nor was
>> he a Jew, but Jacob was both a Hebrew and the first Israelite but not
>> a Jew, while King David (as a member of the Tribe of Judah) was all
>> three, a Hebrew, an Israelite, and a Judahite (Yehudi, Jew). A
>> Samaritan, on the contrary, while being both a Hebrew and an Israelite,
>> is not a Jew".
>>
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israelites>

>What a bizarre agglomeration of confusions is found in that single
>paragraph! Beginning with the initial assumptions that "Abraham" and
>"King David" were individual, historical persons. And the incorrect
>quasi-definition of "Jew." And the suggestion that someone could be
>simultaneously an "Israelite" -- a member of the Northern Kingdom --
>and a "Judahite" -- a member of the Southern Kingdom -- during the
>alleged or mythical "United Monarchy," before there was any such
>thing as "Israelites" and "Judahites" (the latter except in the sense
>of the Tribe of Judah). And the notion that "Hebrew" is an ethnonym.

The Bible (or at least the NRSV translation) uses "Israelites" to
refer to all the descendants of Jacob until the division of the
kingdom. In 1 Kings 11:2 "Israelites" clearly means all of them; in
1 Kings 12:17 it clearly excludes the tribe of Judah.

-- Richard
soup
2018-05-16 10:13:33 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 15/05/2018 21:22, Harrison Hill wrote:
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5JHGi0awgc>
>
?????????????????

Must be the song with the most Mondegreens "IN THE WORLD"

https://youtu.be/DMuO-8S_0Wg?t=20s
RH Draney
2018-05-16 12:00:01 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 5/16/2018 3:13 AM, soup wrote:
> On 15/05/2018 21:22, Harrison Hill wrote:
>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5JHGi0awgc>
>>
> ?????????????????
>
> Must be the song with the most Mondegreens "IN THE WORLD"
>
> https://youtu.be/DMuO-8S_0Wg?t=20s

But if you're into that sort of thing:

https://youtu.be/JMjVB9ktJpc
https://youtu.be/PjsgESrKCDQ

....r
Harrison Hill
2018-05-16 18:27:00 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Wednesday, 16 May 2018 11:13:34 UTC+1, soup wrote:
> On 15/05/2018 21:22, Harrison Hill wrote:
> > <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5JHGi0awgc>
> >
> ?????????????????
>
> Must be the song with the most Mondegreens "IN THE WORLD"
>
> https://youtu.be/DMuO-8S_0Wg?t=20s

This is the song with the most Mondegreens "IN THE WORLD",
and they are all authentic. Woodstock:

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxK4iGx_bno>
Loading...