AUE ---- 10 years ago ?
Hen Hanna
2018-01-11 19:40:37 UTC
I started reading the [bilingual puns] thread
from the beginning....

Would you say that AUE was more lively 10 years ago ?

Did it have more ppl ?

__________________

I'd tell it this way:

Q. What do you call The Five Books of Moses
stored in a big condom
for (its and) our protection ?

A. Safer Torah.

HH
"Django Cat" <>
2018-01-11 21:26:07 UTC
Post by Hen Hanna
I started reading the [bilingual puns] thread
from the beginning....
Would you say that AUE was more lively 10 years ago ?
Did it have more ppl ?
__________________
Q. What do you call The Five Books of Moses
stored in a big condom
for (its and) our protection ?
A. Safer Torah.
HH
I was on AUE ten years ago, and yes, there were certainly lots of
clever-clever gags I hadn't a clue about (like that one).

DC

2018-01-12 10:18:36 UTC
Post by Hen Hanna
Would you say that AUE was more lively 10 years ago ?
How would you measure 'lively'?
There were boring and lively threads then
there are boring and lively threads now.
You won't get agreement on which is which.
Post by Hen Hanna
Did it have more ppl ?
The answer to that is yes, unfortunately,
but not by much. (whatever you want 'ppl' to mean)
I'll take it as postings per lunation.

10 years ago there were about 9000 postings/month,
nowadays only 7000. (for last november)
A very good record, given the much faster decline
in almost all other usenet groups.

And stil far too much to read it all,

2018-01-12 13:03:47 UTC
Post by Hen Hanna
Did it have more ppl ?
The answer to that is yes, unfortunately,
but not by much. (whatever you want 'ppl' to mean)
I'll take it as postings per lunation.
Wrong. They (omitting the spams) can all be glanced at.
J. J. Lodder
2018-01-12 13:38:04 UTC
Post by Hen Hanna
Did it have more ppl ?
The answer to that is yes, unfortunately,
but not by much. (whatever you want 'ppl' to mean)
I'll take it as postings per lunation.
"ppl" normally means "people."
You don't say. Really?
10 years ago there were about 9000 postings/month,
nowadays only 7000. (for last november)
A very good record, given the much faster decline
in almost all other usenet groups.
And stil far too much to read it all,
Wrong. They (omitting the spams) can all be glanced at.
Ah, so there lies your problem,

Jan
Hen Hanna
2018-01-12 20:03:10 UTC
Post by Hen Hanna
Did it have more ppl ?
The answer to that is yes, unfortunately,
but not by much. (whatever you want 'ppl' to mean)
I'll take it as postings per lunation.
10 years ago there were about 9000 postings/month,
nowadays only 7000. (for last november)
A very good record, given the much faster decline
in almost all other usenet groups.
And stil far too much to read it all,
Jan
actually, I'm more interested in the _quality_ of the Posts.

iow.... 10 years ago, was it as common
for a nice thread to be ruined by many annoying
off-topic chatter about
trivial matters (like names for sausage)?

-- confined within its own thread, [names for sausage]
could be a nice topic for AUE.

For decades, I vaguely thought that Brotwurst
must be have Bread in its ingredients.
(or that it goes with Bread)

until a few days ago, when I realized the correct spelling.

For the next 10 years, I may keep thinking that
Brat in Bratwurst means "burned" just like
Brannt in Branntwein.

HH

* PPL is most commonly the abbreviation for people in text messages. However, it can be used to mean: peed pants laughing or pay per lead.

** Pay per lead (PPL) is a form of cost per acquisition, with the “acquisition” in this case being the delivery of a lead. Online and Offline advertising payment model in which fees are charged based solely on the delivery of leads.
J. J. Lodder
2018-01-12 21:17:26 UTC
Post by Hen Hanna
Post by Hen Hanna
Did it have more ppl ?
The answer to that is yes, unfortunately,
but not by much. (whatever you want 'ppl' to mean)
I'll take it as postings per lunation.
10 years ago there were about 9000 postings/month,
nowadays only 7000. (for last november)
A very good record, given the much faster decline
in almost all other usenet groups.
And stil far too much to read it all,
actually, I'm more interested in the _quality_ of the Posts.
That's in the eye of the beholder.
Do you mind being told that your postings in this group
are not universaly admired as being of the highest _quality_ ?
(or even as improving the average quality)
Post by Hen Hanna
iow.... 10 years ago, was it as common
for a nice thread to be ruined by many annoying
off-topic chatter about
trivial matters (like names for sausage)?
You want electric kettles instead?
Post by Hen Hanna
* PPL is most commonly the abbreviation for people in text messages.
However, it can be used to mean: peed pants laughing or pay per lead.
** Pay per lead (PPL) is a form of cost per acquisition, with the
"acquisition" in this case being the delivery of a lead. Online and
Offline advertising payment model in which fees are charged based solely
on the delivery of leads.
From now on, in this thread, it's posts per lunation,
because I made it so,

2018-01-12 22:09:50 UTC
Post by Hen Hanna
Post by Hen Hanna
iow.... 10 years ago, was it as common
for a nice thread to be ruined by many annoying
off-topic chatter about
trivial matters (like names for sausage)?
Well, of course. Where do you think the pun cascades and govende branches
come from?

And here's some supporting evidence, where "cheers and tigers"
morphed into "breakfasts".
<URL:https://groups.google.com/d/topic/alt.usage.english/zhvJFe25xAc/discussion>
and this one where the subject line didn't change,
still reflecting a brand name, but a signficant
number of posts were about Simpson's Paradox (not Bart,apparently)
and statistics:
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/alt.usage.english/7u1gICIt6co/discussion
Post by J. J. Lodder
You want electric kettles instead?
We could go 'round and round on this sort of thing.
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by Hen Hanna
* PPL is most commonly the abbreviation for people in text messages.
and in various tables and summaries scattered across the trades.
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by Hen Hanna
However, it can be used to mean: peed pants laughing or pay per lead.
** Pay per lead (PPL) is a form of cost per acquisition, with the
"acquisition" in this case being the delivery of a lead. Online and
Offline advertising payment model in which fees are charged based solely
on the delivery of leads.
From now on, in this thread, it's posts per lunation,
because I made it so,
So sayeth I.

/dps "aye"

(but yes, some important contributors got tired of me and wandered away,
or were bored to death by me)

/dps
John Varela
2018-01-14 00:06:08 UTC
<snip>
Post by Hen Hanna
iow.... 10 years ago, was it as common
for a nice thread to be ruined by many annoying
off-topic chatter about
trivial matters (like names for sausage)?
Jeez I can recall bantering with Areff over whether a hot dog is a
sandwich at least 10, maybe more than 15 years ago.

<snip>
John Varela
Hen Hanna
2018-01-13 01:07:06 UTC
Post by Hen Hanna
Post by Hen Hanna
Did it have more ppl ?
The answer to that is yes, unfortunately,
but not by much. (whatever you want 'ppl' to mean)
I'll take it as postings per lunation.
10 years ago there were about 9000 postings/month,
nowadays only 7000. (for last november)
A very good record, given the much faster decline
in almost all other usenet groups.
And stil far too much to read it all,
actually, I'm more interested in the _quality_ of the Posts.
That's in the eye of the beholder.
Do you mind being told that your postings in this group
are not universaly admired as being of the highest _quality_ ?
(or even as improving the average quality)
I don't (wouldn't) mind being told that because
you wouldn't be meaning it.
Post by Hen Hanna
* PPL is most commonly the abbreviation for people in text messages.
However, it can be used to mean: peed pants laughing or pay per lead.
** Pay per lead (PPL) is a form of cost per acquisition, with the
"acquisition" in this case being the delivery of a lead. Online and
Offline advertising payment model in which fees are charged based solely
on the delivery of leads.
From now on, in this thread, it's posts per lunation,
because I made it so,
Jan
I'm more interested in
PPPL, pertinent posts per lunation

considering how the MLs (Mailing Lists) have
died down,
AUE's general liveliness and PPPL are pretty amazing. HH

( J. J. Lodder must be a Brit )
J. J. Lodder
2018-01-13 18:21:17 UTC
Post by Hen Hanna
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by Hen Hanna
Post by Hen Hanna
* PPL is most commonly the abbreviation for people in text messages.
However, it can be used to mean: peed pants laughing or pay per lead.
** Pay per lead (PPL) is a form of cost per acquisition, with the
"acquisition" in this case being the delivery of a lead. Online and
Offline advertising payment model in which fees are charged based solely
on the delivery of leads.
From now on, in this thread, it's posts per lunation,
because I made it so,
Jan
I'm more interested in
PPPL, pertinent posts per lunation
considering how the MLs (Mailing Lists) have
died down,
AUE's general liveliness and PPPL are pretty amazing. HH
( J. J. Lodder must be a Brit )
Ah, found out at last! How did you find out? Where did I slip up?
What was the decisive clue that got you there?

Jan
Hen Hanna
2018-01-14 02:16:42 UTC
Post by Hen Hanna
( J. J. Lodder must be a Brit )
Ah, found out at last! How did you find out? Where did I slip up?
What was the decisive clue that got you there?
Jan
just a guess.
i've been wondering why female Brit authors
tend to use nyms like
A.S.Byatt, P.D.James, J.K.Rowling ...

(when the OP adds a new topic, it's not a "dilution"
or "corrution" or "hijacking" of a thread.)

When was Rob Lieblich seen here last ? HH
Jerry Friedman
2018-01-14 02:44:59 UTC
On 1/13/18 7:16 PM, Hen Hanna wrote:
Post by Hen Hanna
When was Rob Lieblich seen here last ? HH
Bob Lieblich died in 2105.
2018-01-14 02:49:25 UTC
On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 19:44:59 -0700, Jerry Friedman
Post by Hen Hanna
When was Rob Lieblich seen here last ? HH
Bob Lieblich died in 2105.
<*cue eerie music*>

Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-01-13 06:52:42 UTC
Post by Hen Hanna
Post by Hen Hanna
Did it have more ppl ?
The answer to that is yes, unfortunately,
but not by much. (whatever you want 'ppl' to mean)
I'll take it as postings per lunation.
10 years ago there were about 9000 postings/month,
nowadays only 7000. (for last november)
A very good record, given the much faster decline
in almost all other usenet groups.
And stil far too much to read it all,
actually, I'm more interested in the _quality_ of the Posts.
That's in the eye of the beholder.
Do you mind being told that your postings in this group
are not universaly admired as being of the highest _quality_ ?
(or even as improving the average quality)
Does _anyone_ admire Hen Hanna's posts? It would be easier to find
someone who admired PTD's posts.
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by Hen Hanna
iow....
Isle of Wight?
Post by Hen Hanna
* PPL is most commonly the abbreviation for people in text messages.
Yes, but this is a group about English usage, not a compilation of
messages sent from a telephone to one's best friend. Many of us like
posts to be written in English.
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by Hen Hanna
However, it can be used to mean: peed pants laughing or pay per lead.
** Pay per lead (PPL) is a form of cost per acquisition, with the
"acquisition" in this case being the delivery of a lead. Online and
Offline advertising payment model in which fees are charged based solely
on the delivery of leads.
From now on, in this thread, it's posts per lunation,
because I made it so,
OK, now I understand what "ppl" is supposed to mean.
2018-01-13 11:24:51 UTC
Post by Hen Hanna
Post by Hen Hanna
Did it have more ppl ?
The answer to that is yes, unfortunately,
but not by much. (whatever you want 'ppl' to mean)
I'll take it as postings per lunation.
10 years ago there were about 9000 postings/month,
nowadays only 7000. (for last november)
A very good record, given the much faster decline
in almost all other usenet groups.
And stil far too much to read it all,
actually, I'm more interested in the _quality_ of the Posts.
That's in the eye of the beholder.
Do you mind being told that your postings in this group
are not universaly admired as being of the highest _quality_ ?
(or even as improving the average quality)
Does _anyone_ admire Hen Hanna's posts? It would be easier to find
someone who admired PTD's posts.
Her Great Henness herself of course,
and who are we to doubt her?

2018-01-13 14:34:47 UTC
Does _anyone_ admire Hen Hanna's posts? It would be easier to find
someone who admired PTD's posts.
No one admires them who is afraid to read them.
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
Post by Hen Hanna
iow....
Isle of Wight?
In other words, ignoramus.
J. J. Lodder
2018-01-13 18:21:18 UTC
Does _anyone_ admire Hen Hanna's posts? It would be easier to find
someone who admired PTD's posts.
No one admires them who is afraid to read them.
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
Post by Hen Hanna
iow....
Isle of Wight?
In other words, ignoramus.
Indeed,
<http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-39814368>

Jan
Anders D. Nygaard
2018-01-13 11:33:15 UTC
Post by Hen Hanna
[...]
-- confined within its own thread, [names for sausage]
could be a nice topic for AUE.
For decades, I vaguely thought that Brotwurst
must be have Bread in its ingredients.
(or that it goes with Bread)
until a few days ago, when I realized the correct spelling.
For the next 10 years, I may keep thinking that
Brat in Bratwurst means "burned" just like
Brannt in Branntwein.
"braten" in German is frying, not burning.

/Anders, Denmark.
Mack A. Damia
2018-01-13 12:56:58 UTC
On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 12:33:15 +0100, "Anders D. Nygaard"
Post by Anders D. Nygaard
Post by Hen Hanna
[...]
-- confined within its own thread, [names for sausage]
could be a nice topic for AUE.
For decades, I vaguely thought that Brotwurst
must be have Bread in its ingredients.
(or that it goes with Bread)
until a few days ago, when I realized the correct spelling.
For the next 10 years, I may keep thinking that
Brat in Bratwurst means "burned" just like
Brannt in Branntwein.
"braten" in German is frying, not burning.
That's not the original translation re "bratwurst".

"Finely chopped meat".