Is "So" the new "Well?
Ian Jackson
2017-09-16 21:23:47 UTC
I'm becoming increasingly aware that, when being questioned during radio
or television interviews, more and more people are starting their
replies with "So... ". This sounds weird.

Previously (if they used anything) they might have started with "Well
..... ".

Is this a recent American import to the UK, or is it something which we
Brits have thought up? [It's now fairly common in the UK, but I also
occasionally hear Americans doing it.]
Ian
Mack A. Damia
2017-09-17 00:20:19 UTC
On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 22:23:47 +0100, Ian Jackson
Post by Ian Jackson
I'm becoming increasingly aware that, when being questioned during radio
or television interviews, more and more people are starting their
replies with "So... ". This sounds weird.
Previously (if they used anything) they might have started with "Well
..... ".
Is this a recent American import to the UK, or is it something which we
Brits have thought up? [It's now fairly common in the UK, but I also
occasionally hear Americans doing it.]
I was just posting to Facebook, and a young gal started her sentence
with "Um". To my knowledge, I don't think I have seen that in my
seventy years on earth.

I knew what it was, but I had to look it up and saw that it is a
hesitation and has been recorded as early as the 17th Century.

Maybe I need to get out more.
Ian Jackson
2017-09-17 07:38:12 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
I'm becoming increasingly aware that, when being questioned during radio
or television interviews, more and more people are starting their
replies with "So... ". This sounds weird.
Previously (if they used anything) they might have started with "Well
..... ".
Is this a recent American import to the UK, or is it something which we
Brits have thought up? [It's now fairly common in the UK, but I also
occasionally hear Americans doing it.]
I was just posting to Facebook, and a young gal started her sentence
with "Um". To my knowledge, I don't think I have seen that in my
seventy years on earth.
I knew what it was, but I had to look it up and saw that it is a
hesitation and has been recorded as early as the 17th Century.
Maybe I need to get out more.
Like "Well", "Um" is a fairly common start to a sentence when the
speaker needs to gain a little more thinking time (especially when
answering a question). It's so common that you usually don't notice it
(although once you do, it can become a bit irritating - especially if
used at the beginning of every sentence!). But "So" (when answering a
question) is a certainly new one on me.
Ian
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2017-09-17 10:22:48 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
[...]
There is also "Er" used in a similar way.
Depending on the tone of voice "Um" and "Er" can convey doubt about what
just been said.
--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)
Ian Jackson
2017-09-17 12:24:22 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
[...]
It has just occurred to me that we sometimes start a question with a
"So" (as in "So - what are we going to do today?") - but not when
starting a reply
Ian
Peter Moylan
2017-09-17 12:52:07 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Like "Well", "Um" is a fairly common start to a sentence when the
speaker needs to gain a little more thinking time (especially when
answering a question). It's so common that you usually don't notice it
(although once you do, it can become a bit irritating - especially if
used at the beginning of every sentence!). But "So" (when answering a
question) is a certainly new one on me.
There is also "Er" used in a similar way.
Depending on the tone of voice "Um" and "Er" can convey doubt about what
just been said.
When I was just beginning as a university lecturer, a more senior
colleague sat in on one of my lectures (something I'd recommend to
anyone in a similar position), and afterwards he told me I said "um" and
"er" far too much. Following that, I trained myself to insert a silent
pause whenever I needed to think of the next word. I think it worked well.
--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Tony Cooper
2017-09-17 17:34:25 UTC
On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 22:52:07 +1000, Peter Moylan
Post by Peter Moylan
When I was just beginning as a university lecturer, a more senior
colleague sat in on one of my lectures (something I'd recommend to
anyone in a similar position), and afterwards he told me I said "um" and
"er" far too much. Following that, I trained myself to insert a silent
pause whenever I needed to think of the next word. I think it worked well.
Because I gave a lot of in-service presentations to groups of
operating room nurses on the use of surgical products my company
distributed, I had someone film me doing one so I could see how I came
across. Super-8 movie film in those days.

I found that I tended to sway left and right during a presentation.
The more I watched myself, the more disconcerting it became.

Once I knew what was happening, I was able to control it. It's what
you don't know you do that can't be stopped.
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Quinn C
2017-09-18 00:20:56 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
[...]
That'll work if the pauses are short enough. Many people get
distracted in conversations with me because of long silences -
that's deep conversations, not casual ones. What is long depends
on the person, but there's a cultural component as well. I find
Finnish people very relaxing in this respect.
--
... man muss oft schon Wissenschaft infrage stellen bei den Wirt-
schaftsmenschen [...] das Denken wird haeufig blockiert von einem
eine Religion als eine Wissenschaft. -- Heiner Flassbeck
Janet
2017-09-17 12:27:50 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
[...]
Well, I'm aware I often start a sentence this way.

Janet
Mack A. Damia
2017-09-17 16:06:24 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
[...]
Yes, I can understand it when you are speaking, but when you are
writing? And to begin a written sentence with it seems to be an
affectation - artificial and designed to impress.
grabber
2017-09-17 12:53:33 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
I'm becoming increasingly aware that, when being questioned during radio
or television interviews, more and more people are starting their
replies with "So... ". This sounds weird.
I'm completely used to it now.
Post by Ian Jackson
Previously (if they used anything) they might have started with "Well
..... ".
It's only fair, because "well" is the new "so"; in the UK, anyway.
People used to be "so pleased" about something: now they are "well chuffed".
Ian Jackson
2017-09-17 14:43:08 UTC
In message <gfuvB.1458493$***@fx30.am4>, grabber <***@bb.er>
writes
Post by Ian Jackson
Previously (if they used anything) they might have started with "Well
..... ".
It's only fair, because "well" is the new "so"; in the UK, anyway.
People used to be "so pleased" about something: now they are "well chuffed".
Ummmmm....

"Chuffed" is essentially dialect, and in educated English would be
considered distinctly slang-ish. While I might even say it myself, you
wouldn't hear The Queen using it. However, "well pleased" has biblical
provenance.

Another time I've heard "So" used in a strange way was in the Irish
Republic (Limerick, to be precise).

I was in a restaurant, and every time the waitress delivered something
to the table, she said "So" (in the same manner as, for example, the
French would say "S'il vous plait". Despite visiting many parts of the
RoI, I'd never heard it before or since - so maybe it was simply a
Limerick-ism.
Ian
grabber
2017-09-17 15:27:31 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Ian Jackson
Previously (if they used anything) they might have started with "Well
..... ".
It's only fair, because "well" is the new "so"; in the UK, anyway.
People used to be "so pleased" about something: now they are "well chuffed".
Ummmmm....
"Chuffed" is essentially dialect, and in educated English would be
considered distinctly slang-ish. While I might even say it myself, you
wouldn't hear The Queen using it.
It's just the sort of thing she would have said on Spitting Image,
though. Her mother, too.
Post by Ian Jackson
However, "well pleased" has biblical
provenance.
Yebbut it's not just "pleased". "I'm so tired" translates to "I'm well
knackered", "you're so intelligent" to "you're well clever". And so on.

[In case there is any doubt, I do know that use of "well" for "very" is
a bit slangy, and probably very Rightpondian. But it suggested itself as
a converse to your thread subject.]
Post by Ian Jackson
Another time I've heard "So" used in a strange way was in the Irish
Republic (Limerick, to be precise).
I was in a restaurant, and every time the waitress delivered something
to the table, she said "So" (in the same manner as, for example, the
French would say "S'il vous plait". Despite visiting many parts of the
RoI, I'd never heard it before or since - so maybe it was simply a
Limerick-ism.
I'm not qualified to comment. They say "OK so" quite a lot in Father
Ted, though.
Katy Jennison
2017-09-17 20:28:09 UTC
Post by grabber
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Ian Jackson
Previously (if they used anything) they might have started with
"Well ..... ".
It's only fair, because "well" is the new "so"; in the UK, anyway.
People used to be "so pleased" about something: now they are "well chuffed".
Ummmmm....
"Chuffed" is essentially dialect, and in educated English would be
considered distinctly slang-ish. While I might even say it myself, you
wouldn't hear The Queen using it.
It's just the sort of thing she would have said on Spitting Image,
though. Her mother, too.
I'd call it slang rather than dialect. I can well imagine HMQ using it
among family and friends.
Katy Jennison
Robert Bannister
2017-09-18 03:32:28 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Ian Jackson
Previously (if they used anything) they might have started with "Well
..... ".
It's only fair, because "well" is the new "so"; in the UK, anyway.
People used to be "so pleased" about something: now they are "well chuffed".
Ummmmm....
"Chuffed" is essentially dialect, and in educated English would be
considered distinctly slang-ish.
Even if spelled "choughed"?
--
Robert B. born England a long time ago;
Western Australia since 1972
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2017-09-18 14:26:49 UTC
On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 11:32:28 +0800, Robert Bannister
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Ian Jackson
Previously (if they used anything) they might have started with "Well
..... ".
It's only fair, because "well" is the new "so"; in the UK, anyway.
People used to be "so pleased" about something: now they are "well chuffed".
Ummmmm....
"Chuffed" is essentially dialect, and in educated English would be
considered distinctly slang-ish.
Even if spelled "choughed"?
That's different. A chough is a type of crow. Therefore "being choughed"
would mean "being attacked by one or more birds of that type".

A person who has been "choughed" would be "dischuffed".
--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)
Don Phillipson
2017-09-24 22:25:21 UTC
Post by grabber
Post by Ian Jackson
I'm becoming increasingly aware that, when being questioned during
radio or television interviews, more and more people are starting
their replies with "So... ". This sounds weird.
I'm completely used to it now.
FYI "So" is the first word of the (BBC translation of) a new play by
Florian Zeller (French) called The Father, as broadcast today at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b095q2xj .
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)
Peter T. Daniels
2017-09-25 04:22:20 UTC
Post by Don Phillipson
Post by grabber
Post by Ian Jackson
I'm becoming increasingly aware that, when being questioned during
radio or television interviews, more and more people are starting
their replies with "So... ". This sounds weird.
I'm completely used to it now.
FYI "So" is the first word of the (BBC translation of) a new play by
Florian Zeller (French) called The Father, as broadcast today at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b095q2xj .
Malala gave an interview to NPR while she was at the UN this week (broadcast today), and
she began at least two answers with "So." That's what education in England will do to a clever
Pakistani girl! And now she's going to Oxford and will probably lose her post-vocalic r's.
Jerry Friedman
2017-09-17 14:57:22 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
I'm becoming increasingly aware that, when being questioned during radio
or television interviews, more and more people are starting their
replies with "So... ". This sounds weird.
Previously (if they used anything) they might have started with "Well
..... ".
Is this a recent American import to the UK, or is it something which we
Brits have thought up? [It's now fairly common in the UK, but I also
occasionally hear Americans doing it.]
It's common in America. I do it, not usually to start a reply, I think,
but for things such as restarting after a pause or getting back to the
subject.
Jerry Friedman
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2017-09-17 17:03:31 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
I'm becoming increasingly aware that, when being questioned during radio
or television interviews, more and more people are starting their
replies with "So... ". This sounds weird.
Previously (if they used anything) they might have started with "Well
..... ".
Is this a recent American import to the UK, or is it something which we
Brits have thought up? [It's now fairly common in the UK, but I also
occasionally hear Americans doing it.]
It has certainly increased in the UK in recent times.

The OED describes it as:

As an introductory particle. Also so, so.
This and the two following uses are common in Shakespeare's
plays.

1594 Shakespeare Lucrece sig. D1 So so, quoth he, these lets
attend the time.
1602 T. Heywood How Man may chuse Good Wife in W. C. Hazlitt
Dodsley's Sel. Coll. Old Eng. Plays (1874) IX. 55 So, let me
see: my apron.
1605 1st Pt. Jeronimo sig. Aiii So, so, Andrea must be sent
imbassador?
1741 S. Richardson Pamela III. xxxii. 251 And I say..So, my good
Friends!—I am glad to see you.
1775 R. B. Sheridan Rivals ii. ii So, so, ma'am! I humbly beg
pardon.

I suppose we should be grateful that it is only the single "So," in use
today and not the "So, so,".

I don't where today's frequent use of it in BrE has come from. It seems
to me to be the sort of thing that would spread "virally". Once a few
people start using it on TV and radio others are likely to copy the
usage.
--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)
Garrett Wollman
2017-09-17 18:46:56 UTC
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
I suppose we should be grateful that it is only the single "So," in use
today and not the "So, so,".
"So " is three characters; "So, so, " is eight. That matters in the
140-character world we find ourselves in these days. (Why not just
drop the particle entirely? Because then it sounds more like a flat
declaratory statement, as opposed to a round in a conversation. Or
something. Maybe if I had been keeping up with Language Log they
might have a more evidence-grounded pragmatics explanation.)

-GAWollman
***@bimajority.org| act to remove constraint from the future. This is
Quinn C
2017-09-18 00:23:52 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
I suppose we should be grateful that it is only the single "So," in use
today and not the "So, so,".
"So " is three characters; "So, so, " is eight. That matters in the
140-character world we find ourselves in these days. (Why not just
drop the particle entirely? Because then it sounds more like a flat
declaratory statement, as opposed to a round in a conversation. Or
something. Maybe if I had been keeping up with Language Log they
might have a more evidence-grounded pragmatics explanation.)
To make up for it, you can leave out the periods. Nay, you have
to, lest it sound angry
--
Democracy means government by the uneducated,
while aristocracy means government by the badly educated.
-- G. K. Chesterton
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2017-09-24 12:09:31 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
I'm becoming increasingly aware that, when being questioned during radio
or television interviews, more and more people are starting their
replies with "So... ". This sounds weird.
Previously (if they used anything) they might have started with "Well
..... ".
Is this a recent American import to the UK, or is it something which we
Brits have thought up? [It's now fairly common in the UK, but I also
occasionally hear Americans doing it.]
This morning on the UK TV show "Sunday Brunch" one of the guests was
asked a question by a host and she replied "Well, so, ...".
--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)
Ian Jackson
2017-09-24 12:50:40 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
I'm becoming increasingly aware that, when being questioned during radio
or television interviews, more and more people are starting their
replies with "So... ". This sounds weird.
Previously (if they used anything) they might have started with "Well
..... ".
Is this a recent American import to the UK, or is it something which we
Brits have thought up? [It's now fairly common in the UK, but I also
occasionally hear Americans doing it.]
This morning on the UK TV show "Sunday Brunch" one of the guests was
asked a question by a host and she replied "Well, so, ...".
I've also noticed several interviewees doing that. They're probably
either deliberately hedging their bets, or simply in mid-transition from
the old-speak to the new-speak.
Ian
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2017-09-24 14:40:53 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
I'm becoming increasingly aware that, when being questioned during radio
or television interviews, more and more people are starting their
replies with "So... ". This sounds weird.
Previously (if they used anything) they might have started with "Well
..... ".
Is this a recent American import to the UK, or is it something which we
Brits have thought up? [It's now fairly common in the UK, but I also
occasionally hear Americans doing it.]
This morning on the UK TV show "Sunday Brunch" one of the guests was
asked a question by a host and she replied "Well, so, ...".
I've also noticed several interviewees doing that. They're probably
either deliberately hedging their bets, or simply in mid-transition from
the old-speak to the new-speak.
In this instance there was no hedging of bets. She was there to talk
about dumplings and "dumpling day". It was one of those "interviews" in
which pre-arranged questions from the host act as section headings for
what would otherwise be a monologue by the guest.
--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)