Midnight ride of Paul Revere?
2017-10-07 08:14:05 UTC
Midnight ride of Paul Revere?

Listen, my children, and you shall hear
Of the midnight ride of Paul Revere
HW Longfellow

Why did Longfellow turn Paul Revere into his solo hero?
Probably because Prescott wouldn't rhyme with hear.

Revere was one of an early warning company, not a solo rider. En route,
Revere was chided for making too much noise. He was arrested near
Lexington; I don't know whether he gave himself away by making noise.
Revere no longer being in the company when it reached its destination,
Samuel Prescott was the one who warned John Hancock about the British
coming.

https://www.biography.com/news/paul-reveres-ride-facts
http://www.grunge.com/86895/famous-events-never-happened/sl/paul-reveres-midnight-ride
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2017-10-07 11:48:10 UTC
On Sat, 7 Oct 2017 01:14:05 -0700 (PDT), Dingbat
Post by Dingbat
Midnight ride of Paul Revere?
Listen, my children, and you shall hear
Of the midnight ride of Paul Revere
HW Longfellow
Why did Longfellow turn Paul Revere into his solo hero?
Probably because Prescott wouldn't rhyme with hear.
There were three people: Paul Revere, William Dawes and Samuel Prescott.
"Paul Revere" has a better sound for poetic purposes. And in any case,
Prescott was not with Revere from the start. He joined him at a later
point.
Post by Dingbat
Revere was one of an early warning company, not a solo rider. En route,
Revere was chided for making too much noise. He was arrested near
Lexington; I don't know whether he gave himself away by making noise.
Revere no longer being in the company when it reached its destination,
Samuel Prescott was the one who warned John Hancock about the British
coming.
According to the Wikepedia article I quote below, Revere and Dawes had
already met and warned John Hancock and Samuel Adams before they were
captured. It was after Revere and Dawes left Hancock and Adams that
Prescott joined them.
Post by Dingbat
https://www.biography.com/news/paul-reveres-ride-facts
http://www.grunge.com/86895/famous-events-never-happened/sl/paul-reveres-midnight-ride
I haven't checked the references, but this says:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Revere#.22Midnight_Ride.22

Revere and Dawes were sent out to warn them and to alert colonial
militias in nearby towns.
Revere arrived in Lexington around midnight, with Dawes arriving
about a half-hour later. They met with Samuel Adams and John
Hancock, who were spending the night with Hancock's relatives (in
what is now called the Hancock–Clarke House), and they spent a great
deal of time discussing plans of action upon receiving the news.
The Lexington men dispatched riders to the surrounding towns, and
Revere and Dawes continued along the road to Concord accompanied by
Samuel Prescott, a doctor who happened to be in Lexington "returning
from a lady friend's house at the awkward hour of 1 a.m."

Revere, Dawes, and Prescott were detained by a British Army patrol
in Lincoln at a roadblock on the way to Concord. Prescott jumped his
horse over a wall and escaped into the woods; he eventually reached
Concord. Dawes also escaped, though he fell off his horse not long
after and did not complete the ride.
<the British Army patrol with captive Revere moved around>

The British soldiers gathered and decided not to press further
towards Lexington but instead to free the prisoners and head back to
warn their commanders. The British confiscated Revere's horse and
rode off to warn the approaching army column. Revere walked to Rev.
Jonas Clarke's house, where Hancock and Adams were staying. As the
battle on Lexington Green unfolded, Revere assisted Hancock and his
family in their escape from Lexington, helping to carry a trunk of
Hancock's papers.

That article then explains that the ride of Revere, Dawes and Prescott
was part of a wider warning system:

The ride of the three men triggered a flexible system of "alarm and
muster" that had been carefully developed months before, in reaction
to the colonists' impotent response to the Powder Alarm of September
1774. This system was an improved version of an old network of
widespread notification and fast deployment of local militia forces
in times of emergency. The colonists had periodically used this
system all the way back to the early years of Indian wars in the
colony, before it fell into disuse in the French and Indian War. In
addition to other express riders delivering messages, bells, drums,
alarm guns, bonfires, and a trumpet were used for rapid
communication from town to town, notifying the rebels in dozens of
eastern Massachusetts villages that they should muster their
militias because the regulars in numbers greater than 500 were
leaving Boston with possible hostile intentions. This system was so
effective that people in towns 25 miles (40 km) from Boston were
aware of the army's movements while they were still unloading boats
in Cambridge. Unlike in the Powder Alarm, the alarm raised by the
three riders successfully allowed the militia to confront the
British troops in Concord, and then harry them all the way back to
Boston.
w***@math.uchicago.edu
2017-10-08 12:40:34 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Midnight ride of Paul Revere?
Listen, my children, and you shall hear
Of the midnight ride of Paul Revere
There were three people: Paul Revere, William Dawes and Samuel Prescott.
"Paul Revere" has a better sound for poetic purposes.
For one of the BAPHL (Boston Area Puzzle Hunt League) walk-around
puzzle hunts, we took Paul Revere and his ride as a starting point,
and then expanded in ever wider circles to include other important
figures, each with a poetic fragment accompanying his/her puzzle.
The results can be seen at <http://www.baphl.org/7/#puzzles>.
(Note: The statements in the poetic portions are not necessarily
historically accurate.)

Kevin Wald ***@math.uchicago.edu | Listen as well to this verse, because
http://www.math.uchicago.edu/~wald | It describes the ride of William Dawes
Peter T. Daniels
2017-10-07 12:00:11 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Midnight ride of Paul Revere?
Listen, my children, and you shall hear
Of the midnight ride of Paul Revere
HW Longfellow
Why did Longfellow turn Paul Revere into his solo hero?
Probably because Prescott wouldn't rhyme with hear.
Revere was one of an early warning company, not a solo rider. En route,
Revere was chided for making too much noise. He was arrested near
Lexington; I don't know whether he gave himself away by making noise.
Revere no longer being in the company when it reached its destination,
Samuel Prescott was the one who warned John Hancock about the British
coming.
https://www.biography.com/news/paul-reveres-ride-facts
http://www.grunge.com/86895/famous-events-never-happened/sl/paul-reveres-midnight-ride
Does this have something to do with the Usage of English?

Thread drift is one thing, left field thread is another.
Dingbat
2017-10-07 13:10:45 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Midnight ride of Paul Revere?
Listen, my children, and you shall hear
Of the midnight ride of Paul Revere
HW Longfellow
Why did Longfellow turn Paul Revere into his solo hero?
Probably because Prescott wouldn't rhyme with hear.
Revere was one of an early warning company, not a solo rider. En route,
Revere was chided for making too much noise. He was arrested near
Lexington; I don't know whether he gave himself away by making noise.
Revere no longer being in the company when it reached its destination,
Samuel Prescott was the one who warned John Hancock about the British
coming.
https://www.biography.com/news/paul-reveres-ride-facts
http://www.grunge.com/86895/famous-events-never-happened/sl/paul-reveres-midnight-ride
Does this have something to do with the Usage of English?
Rhyme, poetic license. Whether they change history. It looks like what I
read (the 2nd link) was mistaken.
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2017-10-07 13:31:58 UTC
On Sat, 7 Oct 2017 05:00:11 -0700 (PDT), "Peter T. Daniels"
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Dingbat
[...]
Dingbat's question was about a rhyme in a poem.
That is just about on topic. :-)
Rich Ulrich
2017-10-07 16:57:53 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Midnight ride of Paul Revere?
Listen, my children, and you shall hear
Of the midnight ride of Paul Revere
HW Longfellow
Why did Longfellow turn Paul Revere into his solo hero?
Probably because Prescott wouldn't rhyme with hear.
Revere was one of an early warning company, not a solo rider. En route,
Revere was chided for making too much noise. He was arrested near
Lexington; I don't know whether he gave himself away by making noise.
Revere no longer being in the company when it reached its destination,
Samuel Prescott was the one who warned John Hancock about the British
coming.
https://www.biography.com/news/paul-reveres-ride-facts
http://www.grunge.com/86895/famous-events-never-happened/sl/paul-reveres-midnight-ride
The ride was in 1775. The poen was written in 1860.
Why so long, you may wonder?

A few years ago, I read a book about Revere. It said: He was a good
choice for being a messenger because everybody knew him -
he was a member of almost every (5 or 6) revolutionary society
in Boston, and he was a sociable fellow.

The book explained that the ride was not celebrated during his
lifetime because the Americans spent the next 50 years after
the Revolution pretending that the "uprising" had been a spontaneous
reaction to immediate evils. There was no room to admit that there
might have been some organization, some anti-British conspiracy
existing before the war. The actual alarm system refuted that, so it
was never spoken of.
Rich Ulrich
CDB
2017-10-07 17:12:32 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Midnight ride of Paul Revere?
Listen, my children, and you shall hear Of the midnight ride of Paul
Revere HW Longfellow
Why did Longfellow turn Paul Revere into his solo hero? Probably
because Prescott wouldn't rhyme with hear.
Revere was one of an early warning company, not a solo rider. En
route, Revere was chided for making too much noise. He was arrested
near Lexington; I don't know whether he gave himself away by making
noise. Revere no longer being in the company when it reached its
destination, Samuel Prescott was the one who warned John Hancock
about the British coming.
https://www.biography.com/news/paul-reveres-ride-facts
http://www.grunge.com/86895/famous-events-never-happened/sl/paul-reveres-midnight-ride
Sit and listen my little lambs,
Oh, stifle your wondering cries with biscuits,
While I sing in praise of a man named Sam,
And feed you on deeds of this pride of the Prescotts.
Revere off course, no watch at the wall,
Still our hero rode out, resolved to risk it.