struggling
2019-11-08 09:30:04 UTC
1) She held the angry child struggling in her lap.

2) He held the man struggling against the wall.

Are these sentences grammatically correct?
Are they idiomatic?

Who is struggling in each sentence?
Does 'in her lap' go with 'held' or with 'struggling'?
Does 'against the wall' modify 'held' or 'struggling'?

I think 'struggling' is dangling in both sentences, but the sentences
are understandable... She held the child in her lap while the child was
struggling and He held the man against the wall while the man was struggling.

Gratefully,
Navi
Peter Moylan
2019-11-08 10:33:05 UTC
1) She held the angry child struggling in her lap.
2) He held the man struggling against the wall.
Are these sentences grammatically correct? Are they idiomatic?
Who is struggling in each sentence? Does 'in her lap' go with 'held'
or with 'struggling'? Does 'against the wall' modify 'held' or
'struggling'?
I think 'struggling' is dangling in both sentences, but the
sentences are understandable... She held the child in her lap while
the child was struggling and He held the man against the wall while
the man was struggling.
The child was struggling in her lap. The man was struggling against the
wall. In the latter case, it was hardly necessary to hold him, because
he was unlikely to defeat the wall.

"We don't need no education" is a song of resistance for those
struggling against the wall.
Richard Heathfield
2019-11-08 10:55:42 UTC
"We don't need no education" is a song of resistance for those
struggling against the wall.
I listened to the song, and --- well, I wasn't impressed. Here is a
corrected version, with double negatives and other ambiguities properly
resolved.

We need education.
We need to learn to control our thoughts.
We should avoid introducing dark sarcasm into the classroom.
Teachers are ignoring the young goats.
There is hay here. Teachers, please ignore the young goats.
Everybody report to the hall. It's just another brick in the wall.
--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk
Sig line 4 vacant - apply within
Eric Walker
2019-11-08 10:33:35 UTC
1) She held the angry child struggling in her lap.
2) He held the man struggling against the wall.
Are these sentences grammatically correct?
Are they idiomatic?
Who is struggling in each sentence?
Does 'in her lap' go with 'held' or with 'struggling'?
Does 'against the wall' modify 'held' or 'struggling'?
I think 'struggling' is dangling in both sentences, but the sentences
are understandable... She held the child in her lap while the child was
struggling and He held the man against the wall while the man was struggling.
Repairs are easily effected.

1a) She held the angry, struggling child in her lap.

2a) He held the struggling man against the wall.

It's just a matter of placing the adjective and the noun in proper order.
--
Cordially,
Eric Walker