new problem with old files
2019-12-20 21:15:09 UTC
I have an old CD-ROM made on a Mac with files whose names have forbidden
characters like * and ". Windows won't even copy them so that I can change
the names (and find out what's in the files).

How can I change the names or rename the files?

The only instructions I was able to find are filled with acronyms and
initialisms and are addressed to programmer-types (or IT-types), but
they do give the impression that something can be done, probably with
an external utility.
J. J. Lodder
2019-12-21 14:37:53 UTC
I have an old CD-ROM made on a Mac with files whose names have forbidden
characters like * and ". Windows won't even copy them so that I can change
the names (and find out what's in the files).
How can I change the names or rename the files?
The only instructions I was able to find are filled with acronyms and
initialisms and are addressed to programmer-types (or IT-types), but
they do give the impression that something can be done, probably with
an external utility.
No problem, on a Mac,
but you will need some third party utility for bulk renaming.
I have several. One mine even has an option:
'Convert to valid NTFS/SMB filename'.

Some of those have a fully functional free demo mode,

2019-12-21 15:16:06 UTC
I have an old CD-ROM made on a Mac with files whose names have forbidden
characters like * and ". Windows won't even copy them so that I can change
the names (and find out what's in the files).
How can I change the names or rename the files?
The only instructions I was able to find are filled with acronyms and
initialisms and are addressed to programmer-types (or IT-types), but
they do give the impression that something can be done, probably with
an external utility.
No problem, on a Mac,
but you will need some third party utility for bulk renaming.
'Convert to valid NTFS/SMB filename'.
Some of those have a fully functional free demo mode,
Naming such a third-party utility would have been helpful.

When I finally had an occasion to use the .pdf utility recommended by PM
to do the things I used to do in Acrobat (cropping, joining), it worked
perfectly and much quicker than Acrobat.
Peter T. Daniels
2019-12-22 14:31:35 UTC
I have an old CD-ROM made on a Mac with files whose names have forbidden
characters like * and ". Windows won't even copy them so that I can change
the names (and find out what's in the files).
How can I change the names or rename the files?
The only instructions I was able to find are filled with acronyms and
initialisms and are addressed to programmer-types (or IT-types), but
they do give the impression that something can be done, probably with
an external utility.
No problem, on a Mac,
but you will need some third party utility for bulk renaming.
'Convert to valid NTFS/SMB filename'.
Some of those have a fully functional free demo mode,
Naming such a third-party utility would have been helpful.
Which utility might it be?
Madhu
2019-12-23 03:35:44 UTC
I have an old CD-ROM made on a Mac with files whose names have
forbidden characters like * and ". Windows won't even copy them so
that I can change the names (and find out what's in the files).
How can I change the names or rename the files? The only
instructions I was able to find are filled with acronyms and
initialisms and are addressed to programmer-types (or IT-types),
but they do give the impression that something can be done,
probably with an external utility.
No problem, on a Mac,
but you will need some third party utility for bulk renaming.
'Convert to valid NTFS/SMB filename'.
Some of those have a fully functional free demo mode,
Naming such a third-party utility would have been helpful.
Which utility might it be?
I don't have an answer but I took a look at google - the searchspace for
this problem is entirely polluted with spam sites that feed of the
search term. I don't think JJ has any program for windows that will
solve the problem - i'm sure he is talking only of mac programs on mac.

I'm not a windows user but I believe this cannot be solved within
windows as it is limitation at the kernel level.

The offending file has to be accessed, copied and its name changed
without using native windows facilities. If I were you I'd try to carry
out these by using a virtual linux kernel running in windows - which I
expect would work but not without difficulty. But see below:

The other only option I can think of is to use tools that directly
operate on the CD-ROM filesystem without going through the windows OS.
Perhaps 7Zip or WinRAR may be freely available tools which do this.

You would have to 1. "create an empty archive" using the 7zip or winRAR
program

2. add the offending file directly from the CD-ROM filesystem into this
the archive using the 7zip or winrar program. This is the crucial step
which will likely fail.

3. If that works, you should be able to rename the file within the
archive entirely within the 7zip (or WinRAR) program to remove the
offending characters

4. extract the renamed file onto the windows file system
Madhu
2019-12-23 03:52:27 UTC
Post by Madhu
[...]
Nevermind. I found a post on some forum that said these won't work.
Post by Madhu
You would have to 1. "create an empty archive" using the 7zip or winRAR
program
2. add the offending file directly from the CD-ROM filesystem into this
the archive using the 7zip or winrar program. This is the crucial step
which will likely fail.
This step will fail. Sorry
Post by Madhu
3. If that works, you should be able to rename the file within the
archive entirely within the 7zip (or WinRAR) program to remove the
offending characters
4. extract the renamed file onto the windows file system
Maybe you already saw this:
https://superuser.com/questions/1256634/copying-files-with-invalid-characters-from-cd

You have to use the last answer:
1. create an ISO from CD-ROM
2. use an isoextractor.
Peter T. Daniels
2019-12-23 13:02:47 UTC
Post by Madhu
Post by Madhu
[...]
I scrolled down and saw this but sent the previous response anyway.
Post by Madhu
3. If that works, you should be able to rename the file within the
archive entirely within the 7zip (or WinRAR) program to remove the
offending characters
4. extract the renamed file onto the windows file system
https://superuser.com/questions/1256634/copying-files-with-invalid-characters-from-cd
I did - the link is purple instead of blue.
Post by Madhu
1. create an ISO from CD-ROM
2. use an isoextractor.
Then I tried to find out what "ISO" is. Didn't succeed.
Madhu
2019-12-23 15:21:02 UTC
Post by Madhu
https://superuser.com/questions/1256634/copying-files-with-invalid-characters-from-cd
I did - the link is purple instead of blue.
I don't know what that means. Can you read the text on that page? I
think it has images too.
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Madhu
1. create an ISO from CD-ROM
2. use an isoextractor.
Then I tried to find out what "ISO" is. Didn't succeed.
By ISO I mean a file on your disk. rip the contents of the cdrom to a
single file on the disk.

For your convenience I am copying the the text from that answer on that
stackexchange page (with the download links.)

"You should be able to do it creating an ISO from the CD and then
using an ISO editor/extractor for renaming/extracting the files:

"First create and ISO file from the CD, for example using the
free ImgBurn (beware of misleading ads, the real download links
are those name Mirror X):

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

You may want to download the program and use it to create an iso file
(containing the full "raw" contents of the CDROM somewhere on your
harddisk.

There is an image of imgburn. You would chose "Create image file from
disc"

"ImgBurn - Create image from disc

"Then use an ISO editor/extractor, there are a lot of ISO
extractors but the important thing is using one that allows
renaming files, either in the ISO or when extracting them, I
used the free WinISO 5.3 (note that the free version is only
5.3, in the ZIP there are two installers, use WinISO53.exe and
the register with the key provided in readme.txt), I created a
test ISO with invalid characters and WinISO processed it fine:

http://www.winiso.com/download.html

You may want to download WinISO 5.3 and then open up the previously
saved iso (image) file with this program

"First use Rename with the files that have invalid characters and
then use Extract... to save that files to a folder. Another
option is renaming all the files with invalid characters, save
the ISO and burn it in another CD or use it with a virtual CD
drive.

There is a picture of the rename operation in WinISO file

"WinISO - rename file
2019-12-23 16:17:07 UTC
Post by Madhu
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Madhu
https://superuser.com/questions/1256634/copying-files-with-invalid-characters-from-cd
I did - the link is purple instead of blue.
I don't know what that means.
It means that GG changes the color of a link you've visited.
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Madhu
1. create an ISO from CD-ROM
2. use an isoextractor.
Then I tried to find out what "ISO" is. Didn't succeed.
By ISO I mean a file on your disk. rip the contents of the cdrom to a
single file on the disk.
I guess that means something to you!
https://i.stack.imgur.com/VVMGk.png
[...]
https://i.stack.imgur.com/zaage.png
Yes, I did all that, and if that can somehow be used to "create an ISO,"
it didn't say how.

If you can't get past the first preliminary step, you can't do any of
the rest.
Madhu
2019-12-23 16:35:17 UTC
Post by Madhu
For your convenience I am copying the the text from that answer on that
stackexchange page (with the download links.)
"You should be able to do it creating an ISO from the CD and then
"First create and ISO file from the CD, for example using the
free ImgBurn (beware of misleading ads, the real download links
http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
You may want to download the program and use it to create an iso file
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Madhu
(containing the full "raw" contents of the CDROM somewhere on your
harddisk.
There is an image of imgburn. You would chose "Create image file from
disc"
"ImgBurn - Create image from disc
https://i.stack.imgur.com/VVMGk.png
[snip]
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Yes, I did all that, and if that can somehow be used to "create an ISO,"
it didn't say how.
If you can't get past the first preliminary step, you can't do any of
the rest.
I've ^^^^ed the first step. You create the iso file by clicking "Create
image file from disc"

Here is the link from the download page. remove spaces
http:// download.imgburn.com/ SetupImgBurn_2.5.8.0.exe

I'm not endorsing any of these programs - I don't use them myself. They
are probably less malicious than current google win10 or apple spying
products though
Peter T. Daniels
2019-12-23 17:55:56 UTC
Post by Madhu
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Yes, I did all that, and if that can somehow be used to "create an ISO,"
it didn't say how.
If you can't get past the first preliminary step, you can't do any of
the rest.
I've ^^^^ed the first step. You create the iso file by clicking "Create
image file from disc"
Here is the link from the download page. remove spaces
http:// download.imgburn.com/ SetupImgBurn_2.5.8.0.exe
I'm not endorsing any of these programs - I don't use them myself. They
are probably less malicious than current google win10 or apple spying
products though
I did all that yesterday and tried it again now. The image you linked
doesn't appear.

Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2019-12-23 15:36:03 UTC
On Mon, 23 Dec 2019 05:02:47 -0800 (PST), "Peter T. Daniels"
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Madhu
1. create an ISO from CD-ROM
2. use an isoextractor.
Then I tried to find out what "ISO" is. Didn't succeed.
It refers to material stored in accordance with an ISO (International
Standards Organisation) specification.

https://www.howtogeek.com/356714/what-is-an-iso-file-and-how-do-i-open-one/

An ISO file (often called an ISO image), is an archive file that
contains an identical copy (or image) of data found on an optical
disc, like a CD or DVD. They are often used for backing up optical
discs, or for distributing large file sets that are intended to
burned to an optical disc.

What is an ISO Image?

The name ISO was taken from the name of the file system used by
optical media, which is usually ISO 9660. You can think of an ISO
image as a complete copy of everything stored on a physical optical
disc like CD, DVD, or Blu-ray disc—including the file system itself.
They are a sector-by-sector copy of the disc, and no compression is
used. The idea behind ISO images is that you can archive an exact
digital copy of a disc, and then later use that image to burn a new
disc that’s in turn an exact copy of the original.
<snip>
Thank you, but still not one word on how to "create" one.
Tony Cooper
2019-12-23 03:56:41 UTC
Post by Madhu
[...]
Way over my head, but couldn't he send the files to a Mac user via
Dropbox, have the Mac user SaveAs using a file name with acceptable
characters and then send the newly named files back to PTD via
Dropbox?

Or, even more simple, but it requires knowing a Mac user locally to
him, couldn't he just give the CD to that person and have that person
rename the files?
2019-12-23 07:16:17 UTC
[ … ]
Way over my head, but couldn't he send the files to a Mac user via
Dropbox, have the Mac user SaveAs using a file name with acceptable
characters and then send the newly named files back to PTD via
Dropbox?
Or, even more simple, but it requires knowing a Mac user locally to
him, couldn't he just give the CD to that person and have that person
rename the files?
Yes, but that would require him to have a friend, one who didn't mind
being abused for not following some condition that he didn't get around
to specifying beforehand.
2019-12-23 16:20:33 UTC
Post by Madhu
[...]
Or one could simply pop the CD into the Performa -- if its video card
hadn't gone blooey about ten years ago.

Fortunately that was after I'd been forced to move to a PC and I'd
transferred everything over. And that particular model couldn't be
upgraded to OS X anyway.
Tony Cooper
2019-12-23 17:29:50 UTC
On Mon, 23 Dec 2019 08:20:33 -0800 (PST), "Peter T. Daniels"
Post by Madhu
[...]
There's an old expression: "I wouldn't piss on him if he was on
fire."

I wonder how many times that thought has been directed at PTD.

This thread is a perfect example of why PTD would remain aflame.

He has something he would like someone to help him with. People have
offered suggestions. Do you see any gratitude for the effort from
PTD? Any "Thanks for the suggestion."?

No. Like other efforts to help PTD or tell him how something can be
done that he wants done, all suggestions are met with surly replies
ignoring the intent to help him and a general whining attitude of
complaint that not sufficient information was provided for his level
of understanding.

Do you anyone here who is a Mac user saying "Dropbox your files to me,
Peter, and I'll re-name them or save them in a format you can read on
a PC"? Who would want to bother to help someone who can't even bother
to say "Thanks".

Of course, he may be in the killfiles of those Mac users. Those
bridges are burnt.
2019-12-23 11:36:39 UTC
Post by Madhu
[...]
A forteriori, I don't have any program from the Dark Side,
and I never said I had.
On Macs the first problem is that you will need an ancient one
that can read CD-ROMs, and has a drive that still works.

Most are dead by now,

2019-12-23 13:00:22 UTC
Post by Madhu
[...]
I tried setting up a Mac emulator. Unfortunately the first instruction
for "tweaking" it said to type a path that included "Program Files" and
it got hung up on the space character.
Post by Madhu
The other only option I can think of is to use tools that directly
operate on the CD-ROM filesystem without going through the windows OS.
Perhaps 7Zip or WinRAR may be freely available tools which do this.
Actually I have both of them -- for extracting .zip and .rar files.
Post by Madhu
You would have to 1. "create an empty archive" using the 7zip or winRAR
program
2. add the offending file directly from the CD-ROM filesystem into this
the archive using the 7zip or winrar program. This is the crucial step
which will likely fail.
:-)
I'll see what I can do!
J. J. Lodder
2019-12-23 08:47:20 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
When I finally had an occasion to use the .pdf utility recommended by PM
to do the things I used to do in Acrobat (cropping, joining), it worked
perfectly and much quicker than Acrobat.
You suggested you had it solved.
OK, so you still need something.
The best, IMHO, is called ABFR
<https://www.publicspace.net/ABetterFinderRename/>
Far more powerful than what you need.

In later versions of Mac OSX
the Finder is also capable of batch renames.
(for files in the same folder)
Select the files you want to rename, go to the 'Action' icon
in the toolbar, select rename.

If you have a mess with lots of files in different folders
some finding utility may be useful as well,