How to prepare flash cards?
2019-10-30 08:12:04 UTC
The answer of a flash card should not be too long.

How should I prepare a flash card for the meaning of
the English verb "run"?

It has about one hundred meanings in some dictionaries!

I could ask:

Name the meanings of "run"!

But this would ask for about hundred meanings!

I could try to prepare one flash card per meaning.

Then it might ask:

What is the meaning #21 of "run"?

But this would make me learn an arificial number
that depends on a specific edition of a specific
dictionary.

It also might ask:

What is the meaning of "run" related to an election?

But this would already give away a lot of the answer!

So, how to proceed?

PS: I think it's funny that the innocent word "to see"
also can mean to have that type of intercourse
(in "seeing someone").
RH Draney
2019-10-30 10:59:03 UTC
Post by Stefan Ram
The answer of a flash card should not be too long.
How should I prepare a flash card for the meaning of
the English verb "run"?
It has about one hundred meanings in some dictionaries!
Name the meanings of "run"!
But this would ask for about hundred meanings!
I could try to prepare one flash card per meaning.
What is the meaning #21 of "run"?
But this would make me learn an arificial number
that depends on a specific edition of a specific
dictionary.
What is the meaning of "run" related to an election?
But this would already give away a lot of the answer!
So, how to proceed?
PS: I think it's funny that the innocent word "to see"
also can mean to have that type of intercourse
(in "seeing someone").
Try offering from three to five "proposed" meanings and asking the
student which of that limited number of definitions "to run" can
actually mean...you can prepare several such cards with different sets
of "answers" to ensure that your student learns at least a usable subset
of the full set of actual definitions....r
Peter T. Daniels
2019-10-30 14:01:54 UTC
Post by Stefan Ram
The answer of a flash card should not be too long.
How should I prepare a flash card for the meaning of
the English verb "run"?
Why would you want to do such a thing?
Post by RH Draney
Post by Stefan Ram
It has about one hundred meanings in some dictionaries!
(Wait'll he learns the word "set"!)
Post by RH Draney
Post by Stefan Ram
Name the meanings of "run"!
What are ... or State ...
Post by RH Draney
Post by Stefan Ram
But this would ask for about hundred meanings!
I could try to prepare one flash card per meaning.
What is the meaning #21 of "run"?
What is meaning ...
Post by RH Draney
Post by Stefan Ram
But this would make me learn an arificial number
that depends on a specific edition of a specific
dictionary.
What is the meaning of "run" related to an election?
What does "run" mean in relation to ...
Post by RH Draney
Post by Stefan Ram
But this would already give away a lot of the answer!
So, how to proceed?
By not doing that.
Post by RH Draney
Post by Stefan Ram
PS: I think it's funny that the innocent word "to see"
also can mean to have that type of intercourse
(in "seeing someone").
?

What is "that type of intercourse"?
GordonD
2019-10-30 19:08:27 UTC
Post by Stefan Ram
It has about one hundred meanings in some dictionaries!
(Wait'll he learns the word "set"!)
Post by Stefan Ram
Name the meanings of "run"!
What are ... or State ...
Post by Stefan Ram
PS: I think it's funny that the innocent word "to see" also can
mean to have that type of intercourse (in "seeing someone").
?
What is "that type of intercourse"?
If he's talking about sexual intercourse then it's not a meaning of the
word I would use. In MyEng 'seeing someone' just means you're in a
relationship, as in going out for a meal or something similar - not
specifically having sex with them.

On the other hand 'giving her a good seeing-to' is something a young man
might boast about to his pals the following day with precisely that meaning.
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland
Stefan Ram
2019-10-31 09:00:25 UTC
Post by GordonD
In MyEng 'seeing someone' just means you're in a
relationship, as in going out for a meal or something similar - not
specifically having sex with them.
I have two indications. First, my memory of song lyrics:

|Well the woman I love she's about my size.
|She's a married woman, come to see me sometime.

. Second, a text in a dictionary:

|see
..
|15. verb
|If you are seeing someone, you spend time with them socially,
|and are having a romantic or sexual relationship.

. Ok, "relationship", that's similar to what you wrote,
but in the song lyrics it suggests single incidents.
Peter Moylan
2019-10-31 09:21:32 UTC
Post by Stefan Ram
Post by GordonD
In MyEng 'seeing someone' just means you're in a
relationship, as in going out for a meal or something similar - not
specifically having sex with them.
|Well the woman I love she's about my size.
|She's a married woman, come to see me sometime.
|see
..
|15. verb
|If you are seeing someone, you spend time with them socially,
|and are having a romantic or sexual relationship.
. Ok, "relationship", that's similar to what you wrote,
but in the song lyrics it suggests single incidents.
The tense matters. If you are seeing someone, that means you are in some
sort of relationship with them (details unspecified).

But for that meaning it generally has to be a progressive tense. If you
see someone, as in your song, that's a different sense of the verb 'see'.

Now, if you see someone _regularly_, that gets back to the progressive
meaning even though technically it's not a progressive tense.

"Come and see me sometime" is just an invitation for a single visit.
2019-10-31 22:05:00 UTC
Post by Stefan Ram
Post by GordonD
In MyEng 'seeing someone' just means you're in a
relationship, as in going out for a meal or something similar - not
specifically having sex with them.
|Well the woman I love she's about my size.
|She's a married woman, come to see me sometime.
|see
..
|15. verb
|If you are seeing someone, you spend time with them socially,
|and are having a romantic or sexual relationship.
First, it says "romantic or sexual" for a reason, as has been pointed
out.

Second, such a relationship may involve sex, but that doesn't mean the
verb "to see" means having sex. Being married also often involves sex,
but that doesn't mean "being married" means "having sex".

So, "seeing someone" only means having intercourse in the old-fashioned
meaning of "social intercourse". But then it means more than that.
--
The need of a personal pronoun of the singular number and common
gender is so desperate, urgent, imperative, that ... it should long
since have grown on our speech -- The Atlantic Monthly (1878)
Peter T. Daniels
2019-11-01 11:55:02 UTC
Post by Stefan Ram
|see
..
|15. verb
|If you are seeing someone, you spend time with them socially,
|and are having a romantic or sexual relationship.
First, it says "romantic or sexual" for a reason, as has been pointed
out.
Second, such a relationship may involve sex, but that doesn't mean the
verb "to see" means having sex. Being married also often involves sex,
but that doesn't mean "being married" means "having sex".
Peter T. Daniels
2019-11-02 11:58:34 UTC
Post by Stefan Ram
|see
..
|15. verb
|If you are seeing someone, you spend time with them socially,
|and are having a romantic or sexual relationship.
First, it says "romantic or sexual" for a reason, as has been pointed
out.
Second, such a relationship may involve sex, but that doesn't mean the
verb "to see" means having sex. Being married also often involves sex,
but that doesn't mean "being married" means "having sex".
"seeing in the biblical sense"?
Does that work for any verb?
It's a legitimate joke for any verb. (Except literal ones -- *"smiting
in the biblical sense"; *"committing adultery in the biblical sense";
*"coveting in the biblical sense.")
Stefan might be interested that some people preferred "conference" over
"congress" because of the naughty implications of the latter. Or so I
heard.
Must've been a while ago.

Peter T. Daniels
2019-10-31 13:54:04 UTC
Post by GordonD
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Stefan Ram
PS: I think it's funny that the innocent word "to see" also can
mean to have that type of intercourse (in "seeing someone").
?
What is "that type of intercourse"?
If he's talking about sexual intercourse then it's not a meaning of the
word I would use. In MyEng 'seeing someone' just means you're in a
relationship, as in going out for a meal or something similar - not
specifically having sex with them.
Synonym for "dating" or "going out with."
Post by GordonD
On the other hand 'giving her a good seeing-to' is something a young man
might boast about to his pals the following day with precisely that meaning.
Not in AmE -- by analogy with "give her a good talking-to," it could be
taken as some sort of dressing-down or lambasting.

(But this is Stefan, the person of exceedingly delicate sensibilities,
apparently primed to see naughty meanings everywhere.)