Your intentions
Jack
2019-01-15 20:09:26 UTC
In the senate hearings about the Attorney General confirmation (US),
senator Booker said to the candidate "...your intentions are well,
...".
That would seem to be justified by the word 'well-intentioned', which
means having good intentions, rather than just a lot of them.

2019-01-15 21:10:36 UTC
Post by Jack
In the senate hearings about the Attorney General confirmation (US),
senator Booker said to the candidate "...your intentions are well,
...".
That would seem to be justified by the word 'well-intentioned', which
means having good intentions, rather than just a lot of them.
Well, what do you think?
It's something I might say.

I like word play. I don't know much about Booker so I have
no idea whether he was making a little joke or goofing up.
Madrigal Gurneyhalt
Could he have been saying "Your intentions are all very well but ... "?
Peter T. Daniels
2019-01-15 22:06:46 UTC
Post by Madrigal Gurneyhalt
Post by Jack
In the senate hearings about the Attorney General confirmation (US),
senator Booker said to the candidate "...your intentions are well,
...".
That would seem to be justified by the word 'well-intentioned', which
means having good intentions, rather than just a lot of them.
Well, what do you think?
Could he have been saying "Your intentions are all very well but ... "?
You may be helped in your interpretation by knowing that Cory Booker (D-NJ)
is certain to be a candidate for the Democratic nomination for President
within a few weeks.

He would not want to be seen complimenting the Attorney General who
despite his protestations today will likely find a way to obstruct
the public, and probably even Congress, from seeing the full Mueller
Report. The interpretation of that sentence can only be understood
if the next sentence (at least) is given.

He was the dynamic mayor of Newark (largest city in NJ) and first elected
to the Senate in 2013 to fill out the term of Sen. Lautenberg and was
reelected to his own 6-year term in 2014. When I checked the dates, one
of the headlines presented was "Cory Booker goes off on Trump’s AG pick for using ‘racist tropes’ and denying racial bias in the justice system," so he
was probably not being complimentary; but apparently his alleged romance with
Rosario Dawson is of greater interest to those whose clicks determine the
number and order of headlines.

Rosario Dawson is apparently a woman actor, ten years his junior.
Jerry Friedman
2019-01-16 05:30:33 UTC
Post by Jack
In the senate hearings about the Attorney General confirmation (US),
senator Booker said to the candidate "...your intentions are well,
...".
That would seem to be justified by the word 'well-intentioned', which
means having good intentions, rather than just a lot of them.
Well, what do you think?
Well, if a Yellow-billed Loon has a yellow bill and a White-billed Diver
has a white bill (which is odd, considering that they're the same
species), why shouldn't a well-intentioned lawyer have well intentions?
That is, I think he was briefly misled by the resemblance between
ADVERB-intentioned and ADJECTIVE-intentioned.

Here's more of the quotation as transcribed by CNN:

"I'm not saying I'm necessarily going to vote for you one way or the
other. But I believe your intentions are well.

"But I think that some of the things you've said in the past leave me to
believe that your policies might be misguided in the way that Mike Lee
and Cornyn and Graham and Grassley have been incredible partners in
changing the American reality. I hope that you can be that kind of
partner too."

http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1901/15/cnr.06.html

Something seems to have gone wrong in the sentence beginning "But I
think". However, considering that CNN seems to have erroneously labeled
the speaker Corker instead of Booker, it might be the transcriber's fault.

(For our friends overseas, the Attorney General candidate (William Barr)
and Sens. Lee, Cornyn, Graham, and Grassley are Republicans, and Sen.
Booker is a Democrat.)
--
Jerry Friedman is just as glad no one is analyzing transcripts of his
speech.
Peter T. Daniels
2019-01-16 06:22:23 UTC
Post by Jack
[...]
So was Corker. It would make sense if it was Corker that said it. There's
no way my junior senator would be praising Lee, Cornyn, Graham, and
Grassley, and unlike Corker he would observe the protocol that senators
are not normally referred to by name. Unfortunately, Corker quit last
year and his place has been taken by the loathsome Marsha Blackburn.
Post by Jerry Friedman
and Sen.
Booker is a Democrat.)
--
Jerry Friedman is just as glad no one is analyzing transcripts of his
speech.
Snidely
2019-01-16 09:09:08 UTC
Post by Jack
[...]
Post by Jerry Friedman
and Sen.
Booker is a Democrat.)
Stereotypes prcaticed by the stereotyped, innit.

BTW, I accidentally landed in an old thread about stereotypes, at a
point where someone mentioned a wikipage about stereotype labels in Oz.
People I expected to reasonably perspacious missed that it was a
category page, and wondered what the anonymous author was up to. A
category page author is anonymous because the page has a bot as an
author; the bot lookes at pages [priority given to pages being updated,
I believe] for a wikiformat section that marks the page as belonging to
a category, and logs that on the relevant category page. The
wikiformat marking as a category was likely done by a human author
[I've done it myself], and that author may be not-at-all anonymous. If
aa page is labeled for a category that does not yet have a category
page (that is, the labeled page is the first to use that label), it is
my understanding the bot will create a new category page for that
label.

And because, despite its flaws, WP insists on citations, you can
generally find something in the references for the labeled page to
support using the label. That support will not be evident on the
category page, but the same caveat applies to traditional card catalogs
in the libraries of a decade ago.

Maybe C282Y is simply one of the hangers-on, a groupie following a
future guitar god of the human genome: an allele with undiscovered
virtuosity, currently soloing in obscurity in Mom's garage.
Bradley Wertheim, theAtlantic.com, Jan 10 2013
Snidely
2019-01-16 09:14:27 UTC
Snidely is guilty of <***@snitoo> as of
Post by Jerry Friedman
[...]
Sorry, one of our Canadians was on top of it as usual. Nothing to see
here. Keep moving, keep moving.

Jerry Friedman
2019-01-16 20:20:26 UTC
Post by Jack
[...]
He did praise them, and he did refer to them by name. The transcript
is accurate except for punctuation.

"But I think that some of the things you've said in the past leave me to
believe that your policies might be misguided. In the way that Mike Lee
and Cornyn and Graham and Grassley have been incredible partners in
changing the American reality, I hope that you can be that kind of
partner too."

This article includes a photo of Booker patting Grassley on the back
and chest last month after the Senate passed a bipartisan bill
reducing some sentences, increasing early release, and making other
reforms. I assume that bill is where Booker and the Republican
senators he named acted as partners.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/18/us/politics/senate-criminal-justice-bill.html
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Unfortunately, Corker quit last
year and his place has been taken by the loathsome Marsha Blackburn.

I agree that it was unfortunate.