Anti-civilizational memes from American white males
2019-11-26 23:11:37 UTC
"do-gooder" for someone concerned about social justice.

"virtue-signaling" for advocating ethics and morality.

folks - American white males are polluting everybody's common heritage - the English language.
Richard Heathfield
2019-11-26 23:40:18 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
"do-gooder" for someone concerned about social justice.
The term "do-gooder" sounds like a compliment to me. I realise it's not
intended that way, but surely to do good is a good thing, not a bad thing.

If you have a specific example of "social justice" that you think is
being attacked unjustly, let's hear it.
Post by s***@gmail.com
"virtue-signaling" for advocating ethics and morality.
That's not the purpose of the term. The term "virtue-signalling" refers
to statements made with the intent, be it explicit or implicit or even
sub-conscious, of affirming one's loyalty to a particular political
position (and by "political" I'm not talking about left or right here; I
mean "concerned with public policy").

It may indeed be used to describe advocacy of a particular ethical (or
unethical) or moral (or immoral or amoral) stance, but its purpose is
not to criticise the stance itself but the rather pathetic announcement
of group identity that it signals.
Post by s***@gmail.com
folks - American white males are polluting everybody's common heritage - the English language.
Practically everybody is polluting everyone's common heritage - it's not
just Americans, it's not just whites, and it's not just males. That you
should single out specific national, racial, and sex-based
characteristics suggests a certain bigotry on your part - an intolerance
for that nation, that race, and that sex.

In short, you are "virtue-signalling" - i.e. showing your fellow racists
and sexists that you share their "virtues" - which is to say, their vices.
--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk
Sig line 4 vacant - apply within
s***@gmail.com
2019-11-27 00:42:04 UTC
Post by Richard Heathfield
Post by s***@gmail.com
"do-gooder" for someone concerned about social justice.
The term "do-gooder" sounds like a compliment to me. I realise it's not
intended that way, but surely to do good is a good thing, not a bad thing.
Really? whats wrong with (courtesy Roget's thesaurus)

• altruistic
• humanitarian
• patriotic
• beneficent
• benevolent
• benignant
• big-hearted
• bountiful
• contributing
• donating
• eleemosynary
• generous
• good
• gracious
• helpful
• humane
• kind
• kindhearted
• liberal
• magnanimous
• munificent
• openhanded
• public-spirited

("eleemosynary" - even non-American-white males would that unintentionally ridiculous)

If you can't see that it is an American White Male expression to express American White male vandalic disdain for lack of manliness or ruggedness or toughness (as American white males see it) - it is sad. If you don't see it, you don't see it.
Richard Heathfield
2019-11-27 01:02:14 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by Richard Heathfield
Post by s***@gmail.com
"do-gooder" for someone concerned about social justice.
The term "do-gooder" sounds like a compliment to me. I realise it's not
intended that way, but surely to do good is a good thing, not a bad thing.
Really? whats wrong with (courtesy Roget's thesaurus)
• altruistic
• humanitarian
• patriotic
<etc>

Nothing. What's wrong with doing good?
Post by s***@gmail.com
If you can't see that it is an American White Male expression to express American White male vandalic disdain for lack of manliness or ruggedness or toughness (as American white males see it) - it is sad. If you don't see it, you don't see it.
If you can't see the implicit racism and sexism in your paragraph,
that's far, far sadder than any misunderstanding you might have about my
perceptions.
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by Richard Heathfield
If you have a specific example of "social justice" that you think is
being attacked unjustly, let's hear it.
You didn't answer this, so in the absence of evidence to the contrary I
must assume that you have no specific examples.
s***@gmail.com
i am arguing like a human and you are taking mongoose-bites. there is no point to this kind of "debate".
Richard Heathfield
2019-11-27 02:06:43 UTC
<snip>
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by Richard Heathfield
Post by Richard Heathfield
If you have a specific example of "social justice" that you think is
being attacked unjustly, let's hear it.
You didn't answer this, so in the absence of evidence to the contrary I
must assume that you have no specific examples.
i am arguing like a human and you are taking mongoose-bites.
You are indeed arguing like a human, but I'm arguing rationally with the
objective of testing your claims.
Post by s***@gmail.com
there is no point to this kind of "debate".
That's a very postmodernist approach - and therefore incorrect.
s***@gmail.com
2019-11-28 15:36:01 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
"do-gooder" for someone concerned about social justice.
"virtue-signaling" for advocating ethics and morality.
folks - American white males are polluting everybody's common heritage - the English language.
As recently as 1988 it was possible for a white male in public life to speak in a Shakespearean cadence:

6:55

"Senator, I served with Jack Kennedy. I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy"

Of course, being from Texas, Bentsen was as far rightwing as they came - but this kind of language has disappeared from public discourse.

The mutant currently in the whitehouse talks of grabbing women by the genitals and mocks the disabled. the 40 precent of the electorate who have said they would vote for him no matter what ought to concern everybody.
Peter T. Daniels
2019-11-28 15:49:22 UTC
Bullshit. On both counts, but primarily the first.
s***@gmail.com
2019-11-28 16:39:36 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
"Senator, I served with Jack Kennedy. I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy"
Of course, being from Texas, Bentsen was as far rightwing as they came - but this kind of language has disappeared from public discourse.
Bullshit. On both counts, but primarily the first.
this creature, for all the displays of faux learning, is isomorphic to Trump. I don't feel called upon to reply to this creature - God or whoever is running things in this universe alone knows why this creature exists on this earth.

But just to set the record straight:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/local/2006/05/24/lloyd-bentsen/15df5131-6faf-4e9d-92ec-e2b88d0e2101/

'Mr. Bentsen compiled a diverse record. He looked after such traditional Texas interests as deregulation of natural gas and state control of offshore oil but also voted to repeal the poll tax, a device used in the South to discourage voting among minorities.

He also proposed using the atomic bomb against principal North Korean cities if North Korea failed to withdraw its troops from South Korea. In later years, with some embarrassment, he recanted that position.'

Given how Texas Republicans were and are - I guess he passed as a "liberal". Repealing the poll tax was just bowing to the inevitable.

"In 1970, Mr. Bentsen sold his business for $22 million and declared his candidacy for the U.S. Senate. Johnson, who had recently left the White House, tried to talk him out of it, warning, "I just don't believe you can beat Ralph Yarborough." Yarborough, the Democratic incumbent, was a beloved liberal icon.

Heavily bankrolled by business interests, Mr. Bentsen launched an expensive media campaign that branded the populist incumbent a "dangerous liberal." His TV commercials seemed to hold Yarborough responsible for the anti-Vietnam War mayhem outside the Democratic National Convention in Chicago in 1968. Mr. Bentsen won with 53 percent of the vote."

In Texas, anybody to the left of Attila the Hun would be called "librul" - and as long as Ted Kennedy was alive - a "Ted Kennedy librul".
Peter T. Daniels
2019-11-28 21:08:23 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by s***@gmail.com
"Senator, I served with Jack Kennedy. I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy"
Of course, being from Texas, Bentsen was as far rightwing as they came - but this kind of language has disappeared from public discourse.
Bullshit. On both counts, but primarily the first.
this creature, for all the displays of faux learning, is isomorphic to Trump. I don't feel called upon to reply to this creature - God or whoever is running things in this universe alone knows why this creature exists on this earth.
The child Skippy clearly hasn't the slightest idea who Lloyd Bentsen was.
Or what the occasion for his most famous quip was.
Post by s***@gmail.com
"In 1970, Mr. Bentsen sold his business for $22 million and declared his candidacy for the U.S. Senate. Johnson, who had recently left the White House, tried to talk him out of it, warning, "I just don't believe you can beat Ralph Yarborough." Yarborough, the Democratic incumbent, was a beloved liberal icon.
The child Skippy seems not to understand how US elections work.
s***@gmail.com
2019-11-29 01:24:13 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by s***@gmail.com
[...]
And here was George HW Bush hoping to go "librull,librull,librull" on Yarborough - but Bentsen ousted Yarborough and guess who the "librull" (=child-molester in Texas) in the general election was?

https://www.texasmonthly.com/politics/nice-guys-finish-last/

'

That would be gravy once he started hammering away at Yarborough, the old guard, the liberal, the tired voice of the past.

Then the unthinkable happened: With a vicious, attacking campaign, a South Texas Democrat, a businessman (and former representative) named Lloyd Bentsen came out of nowhere (actually, he came out of Connally’s hip pocket) and took the senior senator down. Yarborough lost his primary. George Bush lost his target.

Now it was Bush against Bentsen—and all of Bush’s plans were air. George tried to tell folks it was fine, this would be easier, but even his friends couldn’t see it. Bentsen was conservative—just like Bush, when you got down to it—and tough (he proved that against old Ralph). Bentsen could play the veteran card (he was a pilot in the war too) and the business card (he’d made more of a pile than Bush). He had the same congressional experience as Bush. He was just as nasty on Crime ’n’ Commies, a practiced South Texas hand with the Mexicans, a Democrat Texans could live with. So here came Lyndon’s pals from the Pedernales, and here came that greasy John Connally on the tube, making ads for Bentsen. Here came all the courthouse Dems, the yellow-dog Dems, and the better-dead-than-red Dems. Bentsen brought them back from the grave. Worse still, here came a ballot issue to allow sale of liquor by the drink. So thousands of rural Baptists would turn out against demon rum—and on the way, they’d likely vote the standard Democrat ticket.

And Bush? Well, he had the Republicans, but there still weren’t many of those. (The electorate was at least four-to-one Democratic.) He had his friends in the business, his constituents in Houston. His manager, Marvin Collins, tried to cook a deal with the liberal Democrats (who hated Bentsen for what he’d done to Yarborough) and nurtured a noisy group of Democrats for Bush. Bush still had high hopes for the Negro vote. He’d gone to the wall for those people!

That was half the problem. Everybody knew about his open-housing vote—Bentsen made sure of that. And about the time Bush had voted for the U.N. Bentsen brought that up too. In fact, Bentsen ran close enough to the right-field wall that there was no way Bush could get outside of him. Bush was the, uh, lib-rull!

'