Bovine Privilege
2019-12-03 18:01:30 UTC
From the Guardian about Prince Andrew:

"His photographic memory of Woking Pizza Express. His tendency to be
“too honourable”. You were watching a man who spent his life being
held accountable for nothing attempt to skirt an important issue with
the power of his bovine privilege alone, and failing hard."

What is "bovine privilege"?
Spains Harden
2019-12-03 18:21:28 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
"His photographic memory of Woking Pizza Express. His tendency to be
“too honourable”. You were watching a man who spent his life being
held accountable for nothing attempt to skirt an important issue with
the power of his bovine privilege alone, and failing hard."
What is "bovine privilege"?
"Bovine" means "strong". He had lots of privilege whilst being
left powerless and on the sideline.

Private Eye and Spitting Image left my generation under no illusion
as to the truths of the Royal Family.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2019-12-03 18:32:31 UTC
Post by Spains Harden
Post by Mack A. Damia
"His photographic memory of Woking Pizza Express. His tendency to be
“too honourable”. You were watching a man who spent his life being
held accountable for nothing attempt to skirt an important issue with
the power of his bovine privilege alone, and failing hard."
What is "bovine privilege"?
"Bovine" means "strong".
Do have any evidence for that? "Bovine" is the last word I'd use or
exoect to hear to mean strong.
Spains Harden
"Bovine" means "bullish" - as strong as a bull.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2019-12-03 18:41:27 UTC
Post by Spains Harden
Post by Spains Harden
Post by Mack A. Damia
"His photographic memory of Woking Pizza Express. His tendency to be
“too honourable”. You were watching a man who spent his life being
held accountable for nothing attempt to skirt an important issue with
the power of his bovine privilege alone, and failing hard."
What is "bovine privilege"?
"Bovine" means "strong".
Do have any evidence for that? "Bovine" is the last word I'd use or>
exoect to hear to mean strong.
"Bovine"
means "bullish" - as strong as a bull.
Not to me it doesn't. "Bovine" means cow-like -- placid and mindless.
HVS
2019-12-03 18:54:54 UTC
On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 19:41:27 +0100, Athel Cornish-Bowden
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
On Tuesday, December 3, 2019 at 6:32:36 PM UTC, Athel
-snip -
Post by Spains Harden
Post by Mack A. Damia
What is "bovine privilege"?
"Bovine" means "strong".
Do have any evidence for that? "Bovine" is the last word I'd use or>
exoect to hear to mean strong.
"Bovine"
means "bullish" - as strong as a bull.
Not to me it doesn't. "Bovine" means cow-like -- placid and
mindless.

+1. As in M-W's second definition:

"having qualities (such as placidity or dullness) characteristic of
oxen or cows // had a stupid, bovine expression on his face"

Cheers, Harvey
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2019-12-03 19:09:50 UTC
Post by Spains Harden
Post by Spains Harden
Post by Mack A. Damia
"His photographic memory of Woking Pizza Express. His tendency to be
“too honourable”. You were watching a man who spent his life being
held accountable for nothing attempt to skirt an important issue with
the power of his bovine privilege alone, and failing hard."
What is "bovine privilege"?
"Bovine" means "strong".
Do have any evidence for that? "Bovine" is the last word I'd use or>
exoect to hear to mean strong.
"Bovine"
means "bullish" - as strong as a bull.
Not to me it doesn't. "Bovine" means cow-like -- placid and mindless.
The OED has this sense:

figurative. Inert, sluggish; dull, stupid

And its relative has:
https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/bovine

ovine
adjective

1.1 (of a person or their manner) sluggish or stupid.

Two of the quotations:

‘In it I expose the almost bovine stupidity of a famous Leftist
psychologist who tries to pin authoritarianism onto conservatives.’
‘How sad, I'm writing about my stupid bovine great aunt.’
2019-12-03 19:27:38 UTC
Post by Spains Harden
Post by Spains Harden
Post by Mack A. Damia
[...]
But beyond the literality of "bovine", M-W defines "sacred cow" as:

|one that is often unreasonably immune from criticism or opposition

which perfectly fits the passage at hand i.e. "You were watching a man
who spent his life being held accountable for nothing".

Besides, how could the above definitions of "bovine" be in keeping with
"privilege" in the sentence?
2019-12-03 19:45:16 UTC
Post by Spains Harden
Post by Spains Harden
Post by Mack A. Damia
[...]
I think it might mean "stubborn". Stubborn privilege.

https://www.bramptonguardian.com/news-story/6754956-bully-for-you-stubborn-bovine/
Quinn C
2019-12-03 18:45:21 UTC
Post by Spains Harden
Post by Mack A. Damia
"His photographic memory of Woking Pizza Express. His tendency to be
“too honourable”. You were watching a man who spent his life being
held accountable for nothing attempt to skirt an important issue with
the power of his bovine privilege alone, and failing hard."
What is "bovine privilege"?
"Bovine" means "strong".
Do have any evidence for that? "Bovine" is the last word I'd use or
exoect to hear to mean strong.
"Bovine" means "bullish" - as strong as a bull.
| If you describe someone's behaviour or appearance as bovine, you
| think that they are stupid or slow.
(Collins)

| having qualities (such as placidity or dullness) characteristic of
| oxen or cows
(Merriam-Webster)

| Sluggish, dull, and stolid.
(AHD)
My pronouns are they/them
(or other gender-neutral ones)
b***@shaw.ca
2019-12-03 19:12:52 UTC
Post by Spains Harden
Post by Mack A. Damia
"His photographic memory of Woking Pizza Express. His tendency to be
“too honourable”. You were watching a man who spent his life being
held accountable for nothing attempt to skirt an important issue with
the power of his bovine privilege alone, and failing hard."
What is "bovine privilege"?
"Bovine" means "strong".
Do have any evidence for that? "Bovine" is the last word I'd use or
exoect to hear to mean strong.
"Bovine" means "bullish" - as strong as a bull.
That is indeed a lot of bull, as anyone who owns a dictionary
or looks "bovine" up online will find.

bill
Richard Heathfield
2019-12-03 18:52:43 UTC
<snip>
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
 "Bovine" means "strong".
Do have any evidence for that? "Bovine" is the last word I'd use or
exoect to hear to mean strong.
Bloody hell, Athel - have you never met a cow?

Mess thee not with them, and look thou not at them in an funny way, or
they will have thy guts for garters.
--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk
Sig line 4 vacant - apply within
Spains Harden
2019-12-03 19:43:21 UTC
Post by Richard Heathfield
<snip>
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
 "Bovine" means "strong".
Do have any evidence for that? "Bovine" is the last word I'd use or
exoect to hear to mean strong.
Bloody hell, Athel - have you never met a cow?
Mess thee not with them, and look thou not at them in an funny way, or
they will have thy guts for garters.
Agreed. Letting cattle into a field requires someone to go to the
furthest side of the field. They then need something to wave to
indicate to the cattle that there is a hedge/electrified fence,
or whatever it may be - to stop them simply charging through it.

"Bovine" means "taurus" which means "bull".
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2019-12-03 19:54:49 UTC
Post by Spains Harden
Post by Richard Heathfield
<snip>
 "Bovine" means "strong".
Do have any evidence for that? "Bovine" is the last word I'd use or> >
exoect to hear to mean strong.
Bloody hell, Athel - have you never met a cow?
Mess thee not with them, and look thou not at them in an funny way, or>
they will have thy guts for garters.
Agreed. Letting cattle into a field requires someone to go to the
furthest side of the field. They then need something to wave to
indicate to the cattle that there is a hedge/electrified fence,
or whatever it may be - to stop them simply charging through it.
"Bovine" means "taurus" which means "bull".
Ah. The etymological fallacy. I wondered when we would get to that.
Have you noticed that no one so far has agreed with you?
2019-12-03 19:46:38 UTC
Post by Richard Heathfield
<snip>
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
 "Bovine" means "strong".
Do have any evidence for that? "Bovine" is the last word I'd use or
exoect to hear to mean strong.
Bloody hell, Athel - have you never met a cow?
Yes, often, though not recently -- there are very few cows in the south
of France.
Spains Harden
2019-12-03 18:28:04 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
"His photographic memory of Woking Pizza Express. His tendency to be
“too honourable”. You were watching a man who spent his life being
held accountable for nothing attempt to skirt an important issue with
the power of his bovine privilege alone, and failing hard."
What is "bovine privilege"?
I'm guessing it's the kind that's unearned, taken for granted, not
even noticed. A cow presumably takes its food and shelter for granted
without even thinking about them. But I didn't see or hear that
interview and I'm not going to read the article.
2019-12-03 19:38:19 UTC
On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 10:28:04 -0800 (PST), Jerry Friedman
Post by Jerry Friedman
Post by Mack A. Damia
"His photographic memory of Woking Pizza Express. His tendency to be
“too honourable”. You were watching a man who spent his life being
held accountable for nothing attempt to skirt an important issue with
the power of his bovine privilege alone, and failing hard."
What is "bovine privilege"?
I'm guessing it's the kind that's unearned, taken for granted, not
even noticed. A cow presumably takes its food and shelter for granted
without even thinking about them. But I didn't see or hear that
interview and I'm not going to read the article.
So I am reading that nobody is certain what it means?

I hear you, but here is the link anyway:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/dec/03/prince-andrew-cant-slink-away-from-this-now-the-tv-triumph-of-virginia-giuffre
Ken Blake
2019-12-03 18:37:44 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
"His photographic memory of Woking Pizza Express. His tendency to be
“too honourable”. You were watching a man who spent his life being
held accountable for nothing attempt to skirt an important issue with
the power of his bovine privilege alone, and failing hard."
What is "bovine privilege"?
That should be "...bovine privilege alone, and failing herd."
2019-12-03 18:47:43 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
"His photographic memory of Woking Pizza Express. His tendency to be
“too honourable”. You were watching a man who spent his life being
held accountable for nothing attempt to skirt an important issue with
the power of his bovine privilege alone, and failing hard."
What is "bovine privilege"?
A subtle hint at a "sacred cow"?