The anti-"haka"
Spains Harden
2019-10-30 15:50:54 UTC
England fined for crossing halfway during All Blacks "haka" says
the BBC. I'd say "crossing the halfway line" - either way it seems
to have worked:

Ross
2019-10-30 20:32:41 UTC
Post by Spains Harden
England fined for crossing halfway during All Blacks "haka" says
the BBC. I'd say "crossing the halfway line" - either way it seems
http://youtu.be/LgF8IVPeR48
A brilliant move. (Do we know whose idea it was?)
V for victory, I thought, seeing the overhead shots.
Anyhow, they won by playing better rugby.
Even people here admit that.

OED:
halfway, n.
b. The half-way line in a football field.

1960 V. Jenkins Lions Down Under 202 New Zealand brought the ball
back to half-way.
HVS
2019-10-31 00:11:24 UTC
Post by Ross
Post by Spains Harden
England fined for crossing halfway during All Blacks "haka" says
the BBC. I'd say "crossing the halfway line" - either way it seems
http://youtu.be/LgF8IVPeR48
A brilliant move. (Do we know whose idea it was?)
V for victory, I thought, seeing the overhead shots.
Agree entirely that it was a good move.

But it's been established - France was previously fined for stepping
over the half-way line when doing something similar - that You. Do.
Not. Step. Over. The. Line.

AIUI, there would have been no problem if we (England) had done
exactly the same thing, as long as they'd stayed on their own side of
the pitch.

(cf. cricket, and no-ball deliveries - only themselves to blame.)
Post by Ross
Anyhow, they won by playing better rugby.
Even people here admit that.
I was pleased that it was a clean win, with no room for "bad calls
determined the win" whinging (although I believe both teams suffered
from some possibly dodgy calls).

(My wife is from NZ, and my sports-mad brother-in-law - lives in
Rotorua - gave full credit to the England side for their win.)

Cheers, Harvey
Ross
2019-11-02 11:27:08 UTC
Post by HVS
On Thursday, October 31, 2019 at 4:50:56 AM UTC+13, Spains Harden
Post by Spains Harden
[...]
South Africa 32-12! Never thought I'd be cheering on a Springbok team
-- but they were awesome. (Never mind. Tomorrow morning I revert to my not-particularly-interested-in-sports persona.)

And around here there's talk that maybe it's time to drop the haka.
HVS
2019-11-02 20:12:29 UTC
On Wed, 30 Oct 2019 13:32:41 -0700 (PDT), Ross
Post by Ross
from some possibly dodgy calls).
(My wife is from NZ, and my sports-mad brother-in-law - lives in
Rotorua - gave full credit to the England side for their win.)
Cheers, Harvey
South Africa 32-12! Never thought I'd be cheering on a Springbok team
-- but they were awesome. (Never mind. Tomorrow morning I revert to
my not-particularly-interested-in-sports persona.)

Yup - not only did SA deserve the win, the scoreline reflected the
teams' performances.
Post by Ross
And around here there's talk that maybe it's time to drop the haka.
I got that impression the last time I discussed rugby with our
friends and family in NZ (a couple of years ago), but I'd still be
surprised if they actually did retire it.

Cheers, Harvey