Words with two very varied meanings
Add Reply
chandelle
2021-03-09 03:25:28 UTC
I'm thinking of drawing up a list - just for fun - of words that have two meanings, neither of which remotely resembles the other, and seek your inputs as well.

Three words that readily come to mind are: husband, previous and cashier.

Additions will be welcome and gratefully acknowledged, thanks.
Peter Moylan
2021-03-09 04:21:24 UTC
Post by chandelle
I'm thinking of drawing up a list - just for fun - of words that
have two meanings, neither of which remotely resembles the other, and
seek your inputs as well.
Three words that readily come to mind are: husband, previous and cashier.
Additions will be welcome and gratefully acknowledged, thanks.
Husband (noun) and husband (verb) have the same origin, so could be said
to be closely related in meaning. The duty of a husband (noun) is to
husband the house's resources.

Cashier is a good example of two words having different origins ending
up with the same spelling and pronunciation.

Previous? I can't think of a second meaning.

Another for your list: sanction.
chandelle
2021-03-09 04:37:16 UTC
Post by chandelle
Additions will be welcome and gratefully acknowledged, thanks.
Husband (noun) and husband (verb) have the same origin, so could be said
to be closely related in meaning. The duty of a husband (noun) is to
husband the house's resources.
'He returned the previous day' and 'Don't be too previous in making a choice'. Rather varied, what?
Peter Moylan
2021-03-09 04:49:50 UTC
Post by chandelle
Post by Peter Moylan
Previous? I can't think of a second meaning.
'He returned the previous day' and 'Don't be too previous in making a choice'. Rather varied, what?
That second meaning is not part of my dialect, but I've heard of it
before on this newsgroup.
2021-03-09 15:34:46 UTC
Post by chandelle
Post by Peter Moylan
Previous? I can't think of a second meaning.
'He returned the previous day' and 'Don't be too previous in making a choice'. Rather varied, what?
Varied? I don't know, since I have no idea what "previous" is supposed
to mean in that second sentence. That's not an English usage of the
word, as far as I'm concerned.
2021-03-09 16:06:16 UTC
Post by chandelle
'He returned the previous day' and 'Don't be too previous in
making a choice'. Rather varied, what?
Varied? I don't know, since I have no idea what "previous" is supposed
to mean in that second sentence. That's not an English usage of the
word, as far as I'm concerned.
According to one dictionary, there is an informal meaning of
"too soon", but it seems to be rare. This usually is preceded
by a modifier ("a bit", "too"). In recent TV shows, I find
three or four occurences of "bit previous" or "too previous",
all of which are starting with "bit".

Snidely
2021-03-09 21:47:41 UTC
Post by chandelle
Post by Peter Moylan
Previous? I can't think of a second meaning.
'He returned the previous day' and 'Don't be too previous in making a
choice'. Rather varied, what?
Varied? I don't know, since I have no idea what "previous" is supposed to
mean in that second sentence. That's not an English usage of the word, as
far as I'm concerned.
I'm familar with it. Translate "too previous" as "too early" or "too
quick".

I suspect the usage has declined in recent years.

"That's a good sort of hectic, innit?"

" Very much so, and I'd recommend the haggis wontons."
-njm
Ken Blake
2021-03-09 23:09:54 UTC
Post by Snidely
Post by chandelle
Post by Peter Moylan
Previous? I can't think of a second meaning.
'He returned the previous day' and 'Don't be too previous in making a
choice'. Rather varied, what?
Varied? I don't know, since I have no idea what "previous" is supposed to
mean in that second sentence. That's not an English usage of the word, as
far as I'm concerned.
I'm familar with it. Translate "too previous" as "too early" or "too
quick".
I suspect the usage has declined in recent years.
Declined? Perhaps, but I've never heard it before.

Now that I've heard (or read) it, I'd like to forget it as quickly as
possible.
2021-03-09 23:56:15 UTC
Post by chandelle
Post by Peter Moylan
Previous? I can't think of a second meaning.
'He returned the previous day' and 'Don't be too previous in making a choice'. Rather varied, what?
Varied? I don't know, since I have no idea what "previous" is supposed
to mean in that second sentence. That's not an English usage of the
word, as far as I'm concerned.
Oxford Dictionary of English:
2 informal overly hasty in acting or in drawing a conclusion: I admit I
may have been a bit previous.
--
"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to
those of us who do." - Isaac Asimov
Jerry Friedman
2021-03-09 04:40:38 UTC
Post by chandelle
I'm thinking of drawing up a list - just for fun - of words that
have two meanings, neither of which remotely resembles the other, and
seek your inputs as well.
Three words that readily come to mind are: husband, previous and cashier.
Additions will be welcome and gratefully acknowledged, thanks.
Husband (noun) and husband (verb) have the same origin, so could be said
to be closely related in meaning. The duty of a husband (noun) is to
husband the house's resources.
Cashier is a good example of two words having different origins ending
up with the same spelling and pronunciation.
Saw, lie, mother (the meaning "slimy stuff produced in making vinegar" is unrelated
to the common meaning)

Does it have to be only two? "Fit" has three meanings. In the sense of "part of
a long poem", it's often spelled "fitt".

Do they have to have the same meaning, or are words such as "lead", "wind",
and "wound" allowed?
Another for your list: sanction.
And Chandelle might like to look up "contronym".
2021-03-09 04:49:31 UTC
Or "autoantonym".
Peter Moylan
2021-03-09 04:50:59 UTC
Saw, lie, mother (the meaning "slimy stuff produced in making vinegar" is unrelated
to the common meaning)
Librarian: I don't think /Advice for young mothers/ is suitable for you.
Young boy: Why? I collect moths.
2021-03-09 15:38:54 UTC
Post by chandelle
[...]
"Wound" reminds me of a guitar teacher I used to have. He was from the
Philippines. He spoke English very well, with no discernable accent, but
I remember his once talking about the "wound" strings on a guitar,
pronouncing it wooned.
musika
2021-03-09 16:23:04 UTC
On 09/03/2021 15:38, Ken Blake wro
Post by Ken Blake
"Wound" reminds me of a guitar teacher I used to have. He was from
the Philippines. He spoke English very well, with no discernable
accent,
You mean he had an American accent? Everybody has an accent.
Post by Ken Blake
but > I remember his once talking about the "wound" strings on a
guitar, pronouncing it wooned.
--
Ray
UK
Ken Blake
2021-03-09 16:35:14 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
"Wound" reminds me of a guitar teacher I used to have. He was from
the Philippines. He spoke English very well, with no discernable
accent,
You mean he had an American accent?
Yes.
Post by musika
Everybody has an accent.
Yes.

You can change that sentence to "He spoke English very well, with no
discernable accent that was different from mine."
2021-03-09 21:52:20 UTC
Post by chandelle
[...]
You are being quite clever.

I was going to suggest we table the matter, but the difference in
meaning there is pondial, as Left Pondians use it for postponing and
the gentlefolk on the Atlantic's dexter side use it for bringing up.
If I've gotten the right end of the clue stick.

But happiness cannot be pursued; it must ensue. One must have a reason
to 'be happy.'"
Viktor Frankl
Graham
2021-03-10 02:23:39 UTC
Saw, lie, mother (the meaning "slimy stuff produced in making vinegar" is unrelated
to the common meaning)
A piece of the "mother" can be used to start another vinegar-making
culture. So in that sense, mother, in the common meaning, can be
considered apposite.
Jerry Friedman
2021-03-10 04:07:42 UTC
Post by Graham
Post by Jerry Friedman
Saw, lie, mother (the meaning "slimy stuff produced in making vinegar" is unrelated
to the common meaning)
A piece of the "mother" can be used to start another vinegar-making
culture. So in that sense, mother, in the common meaning, can be
considered apposite.
Thanks, I didn't know that.
Denier.
Jerry Friedman
2021-03-09 23:54:42 UTC
Post by chandelle
I'm thinking of drawing up a list - just for fun - of words that
have two meanings, neither of which remotely resembles the other, and
seek your inputs as well.
Three words that readily come to mind are: husband, previous and cashier.
Additions will be welcome and gratefully acknowledged, thanks.
Husband (noun) and husband (verb) have the same origin, so could be said
to be closely related in meaning. The duty of a husband (noun) is to
husband the house's resources.
There is a class of words that have opposite meanings. Cleave and cleave
(to split apart or join together) is a famous one, but there are dozens,
perhaps hundreds.

Most common words have different meanings. Play is famous for having
many, as is run, so a list of words with different meanings would be
almost as long as the list of words.

Search for "Janus words" or Contronyms.
--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
"I think so, Brain, but Madonna's stock is sinking."
soup
2021-03-09 07:11:13 UTC
Post by chandelle
I'm thinking of drawing up a list - just for fun - of words that have two meanings, neither of which remotely resembles the other, and seek your inputs as well.
Three words that readily come to mind are: husband, previous and cashier.
Additions will be welcome and gratefully acknowledged, thanks.
Many rather than two so not really fulfilling your requirements but I
thought I'd post it anyway.

'SET'
Rich Ulrich
2021-03-09 18:11:49 UTC
Post by soup
Post by chandelle
I'm thinking of drawing up a list - just for fun - of words that have two meanings, neither of which remotely resembles the other, and seek your inputs as well.
Three words that readily come to mind are: husband, previous and cashier.
Additions will be welcome and gratefully acknowledged, thanks.
Many rather than two so not really fulfilling your requirements but I
thought I'd post it anyway.
'SET'
Here's a set - tire, wheel, auto, gas, trunk.
Firm. Plant. Dug.
Rich Ulrich
soup
2021-03-10 14:09:05 UTC
Post by Rich Ulrich
Post by soup
Post by chandelle
I'm thinking of drawing up a list - just for fun - of words that have two meanings, neither of which remotely resembles the other, and seek your inputs as well.
Three words that readily come to mind are: husband, previous and cashier.
Additions will be welcome and gratefully acknowledged, thanks.
Many rather than two so not really fulfilling your requirements but I
thought I'd post it anyway.
'SET'
Here's a set - tire, wheel, auto, gas, trunk.
Firm. Plant. Dug.
(Looks like two to me)

Here are some others:-

A collection of games in Tennis.

What a jelly(Jello) is once it has cured.

Someone placing an object 'just so'.

;OP
Tony Cooper
2021-03-10 14:18:53 UTC
Post by soup
Post by Rich Ulrich
Post by soup
Post by chandelle
I'm thinking of drawing up a list - just for fun - of words that have two meanings, neither of which remotely resembles the other, and seek your inputs as well.
Three words that readily come to mind are: husband, previous and cashier.
Additions will be welcome and gratefully acknowledged, thanks.
Many rather than two so not really fulfilling your requirements but I
thought I'd post it anyway.
'SET'
Here's a set - tire, wheel, auto, gas, trunk.
Firm. Plant. Dug.
(Looks like two to me)
Here are some others:-
A collection of games in Tennis.
What a jelly(Jello) is once it has cured.
Someone placing an object 'just so'.
Add: a social level
Tony Cooper Orlando Florida
phil
2021-03-09 07:58:22 UTC
You could start with 'list'.
Snidely
2021-03-09 21:55:46 UTC
Post by phil
Post by chandelle
I'm thinking of drawing up a list - just for fun - of words that have two
meanings, neither of which remotely resembles the other, and seek your
inputs as well.
Three words that readily come to mind are: husband, previous and cashier.
Additions will be welcome and gratefully acknowledged, thanks.
You could start with 'list'.
I hear what you're saying, but I'm on an even keel, and playing the
odds with a full deck.

Trust, but verify.
occam
2021-03-09 08:31:49 UTC
Post by chandelle
I'm thinking of drawing up a list - just for fun - of words that have two meanings, neither of which remotely resembles the other, and seek your inputs as well.
Three words that readily come to mind are: husband, previous and cashier.
Additions will be welcome and gratefully acknowledged, thanks.
Can I recommend a joke book on puns, as a starting point? Granted, puns
rely on sounds and not spelling, but the source is there

'Clubbing' is what you do with friends, or to seals.
s***@my-deja.com
2021-03-09 16:50:59 UTC
bow
Jerry Friedman
2021-03-09 20:57:47 UTC
Post by chandelle
I'm thinking of drawing up a list - just for fun - of words that have two meanings, neither of which remotely resembles the other, and seek your inputs as well.
Three words that readily come to mind are: husband, previous and cashier.
Additions will be welcome and gratefully acknowledged, thanks.
ball, bat, batter, battery, batting, bowl, bill, buff, bull, check, copper (is slang
allowed?), cue, date, ell, fine, fell, flag, gill, hawk, lean, mean, nag, page, quail,
rose, slug, stall, stable, tilt, wake, yen

I admit I'm getting help. I look at the tabs I have open, and one says "mail". I hear
a flicker calling outside.
Arindam Banerjee
2021-03-09 21:14:42 UTC
Post by chandelle
I'm thinking of drawing up a list - just for fun - of words that have two meanings, neither of which remotely resembles the other, and seek your inputs as well.
Nonce
Eric Walker
2021-03-10 02:24:18 UTC
Post by chandelle
I'm thinking of drawing up a list - just for fun - of words that have
two meanings, neither of which remotely resembles the other, and seek
your inputs as well.
Three words that readily come to mind are: husband, previous and cashier.
Additions will be welcome and gratefully acknowledged, thanks.
Sanction.
--
Cordially,
Eric Walker
chandelle
2021-03-10 02:43:29 UTC
Post by Eric Walker
Post by chandelle
I'm thinking of drawing up a list - just for fun - of words that have
two meanings, neither of which remotely resembles the other, and seek
your inputs as well.
Three words that readily come to mind are: husband, previous and cashier.
Additions will be welcome and gratefully acknowledged, thanks.
Sanction.
Thanks everyone for the excellent responses.

What was quickly obvious was that I was in error in that my intent wasn't properly conveyed. I was looking for such words - and looking back, the three examples I gave unconsciously showed what I had in mind - that had a widely accepted meaning whilst having another very different if perfectly valid one.

I could count on one hand the occasions that I've come across either husband or cashier being used as a verb, or previous as an adjective.
Tony Cooper
2021-03-10 03:18:20 UTC
Post by chandelle
Post by Eric Walker
Post by chandelle
I'm thinking of drawing up a list - just for fun - of words that have
two meanings, neither of which remotely resembles the other, and seek
your inputs as well.
Three words that readily come to mind are: husband, previous and cashier.
Additions will be welcome and gratefully acknowledged, thanks.
Sanction.
Thanks everyone for the excellent responses.
What was quickly obvious was that I was in error in that my intent wasn't properly conveyed. I was looking for such words - and looking back, the three examples I gave unconsciously showed what I had in mind - that had a widely accepted meaning whilst having another very different if perfectly valid one.
I could count on one hand the occasions that I've come across either husband or cashier being used as a verb, or previous as an adjective.
That seems to indicate that you are looking for words with two
meanings, but limiting your search to words that you are already
familiar with. It doesn't make much sense, then, to ask others to
submit words because what they suggest might not be familiar to you.
Tony Cooper Orlando Florida
Jerry Friedman
2021-03-10 04:09:22 UTC
Post by chandelle
Post by Eric Walker
Post by chandelle
I'm thinking of drawing up a list - just for fun - of words that have
two meanings, neither of which remotely resembles the other, and seek
your inputs as well.
Three words that readily come to mind are: husband, previous and cashier.
Additions will be welcome and gratefully acknowledged, thanks.
Sanction.
Thanks everyone for the excellent responses.
What was quickly obvious was that I was in error in that my intent wasn't properly conveyed. I was looking for such words - and looking back, the three examples I gave unconsciously showed what I had in mind - that had a widely accepted meaning whilst having another very different if perfectly valid one.
I could count on one hand the occasions that I've come across either husband or cashier being used as a verb, or previous as an adjective.
So what you're looking for are words with a common meaning and a much
less common and very different but perfectly valid one. To go back to my
first suggestions, "mother" but not "lie"?
chandelle
Yes; exactly!
Mark Brader
2021-03-10 09:19:44 UTC
Post by chandelle
I could count on one hand the occasions that I've come across either
husband or cashier being used as a verb, or previous as an adjective.
I can't think of a way to use "previous" *otherwise* than as an adjective.
--
Mark Brader "It's simply a matter of style, and while there
Toronto are many wrong styles, there really isn't any
***@vex.net one right style." -- Ray Butterworth
Ken Blake
2021-03-10 15:57:32 UTC
Post by chandelle
I could count on one hand the occasions that I've come across either
husband or cashier being used as a verb, or previous as an adjective.
I can't think of a way to use "previous" *otherwise* than as an adjective.
Previous to my meeting him, I saw a picture of John.