The State of Pronunciation in the USA
2019-11-05 20:11:55 UTC
Heard on the news:

'Peachment is 'spensive.
Quinn C
2019-11-05 20:46:45 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
'Peachment is 'spensive.
'llables, too, 'parently.
--
In the old days, the complaints about the passing of the
golden age were much more sophisticated.
-- James Hogg in alt.usage.english
Peter T. Daniels
2019-11-05 22:11:37 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
'Peachment is 'spensive.
Colbert has a daily feature, Don and the Giant Impeach.
Joseph C. Fineman
2019-11-05 22:35:29 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
'Peachment is 'spensive.
'Spect so.
--
--- Joe Fineman ***@verizon.net

||: The main reason one experiences things is in order to talk :||
||: about them afterward. :||
Kerr-Mudd,John
2019-11-06 10:08:55 UTC
Post by Joseph C. Fineman
Post by Mack A. Damia
'Peachment is 'spensive.
'Spect so.
srsly?

Vwls cst bggly.
2019-11-05 23:46:48 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
'Peachment is 'spensive.
Also the state of pronunciation in Britain starting in the 15th century,
when "impeach" was shortened to "peach", meaning "inform [on someone]".
2019-11-06 05:58:34 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
'Peachment is 'spensive.
Yes, but your Mexican friends wouldn't be able to say 'spensive.
2019-11-06 07:25:58 UTC
Would they say expensive or espensive?
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2019-11-06 07:30:11 UTC
On Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 11:28:10 AM UTC+5:30, Athel
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
Post by Mack A. Damia
'Peachment is 'spensive.
Yes, but your Mexican friends wouldn't be able to say 'spensive.
Would they say expensive or espensive?
"espensive". "expensive" would be regarded as impossible, even worse
than "spensive."
Paul Carmichael
2019-11-06 10:05:32 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
'Peachment is 'spensive.
Yes, but your Mexican friends wouldn't be able to say 'spensive.
Would they say expensive or espensive?
"espensive". "expensive" would be regarded as impossible, even worse than "spensive."
A guy here was talking about his ex-wife "mi eh".

He didn't say it on feyboo though.

This stuff carries through to the written word:

https://comoseescribe.xyz/esplicar-o-explicar/
--
Paul.

https://paulc.es
Dingbat
2019-11-06 11:27:01 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
'Peachment is 'spensive.
Yes, but your Mexican friends wouldn't be able to say 'spensive.
Would they say expensive or espensive?
"espensive". "expensive" would be regarded as impossible, even worse
than "spensive."
There is a Romance language with a consonant cluster similar to [sp].
Restaurant chain Sbarro, presumably with [zb], is named after its
Neapolitan founder. Anglos might have trouble with [zb] despite
having no trouble with [sp].
Jerry Friedman
2019-11-06 14:08:12 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
'Peachment is 'spensive.
Yes, but your Mexican friends wouldn't be able to say 'spensive.
Would they say expensive or espensive?
"espensive". "expensive" would be regarded as impossible, even worse
than "spensive."
I don't think that's as true in Mexico as it is elsewhere. I've heard
/ks/ before consonants, though that may be only in extra-careful
pronunciation. There's even hypercorrection--one Spanish-language
station had a recorded ID something like "La ecstación que toca puros
éxitos."
2019-11-07 13:06:02 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
'Peachment is 'spensive.
Yes, but your Mexican friends wouldn't be able to say 'spensive.
Would they say expensive or espensive?
"espensive". "expensive" would be regarded as impossible, even worse
than "spensive."
I don't think that's as true in Mexico as it is elsewhere. I've heard
/ks/ before consonants,
+1. As a matter of fact, Spanish even has the word "expansivo/a", which
is pronounced with /ks/ in Castilian (but has a different meaning).
2019-11-06 07:31:54 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
'Peachment is 'spensive.
...but ne'ssary. Something has to be shoved up his arse to upset him.
Snidely
2019-11-07 10:01:55 UTC
The State of Pronunciation in the USA
And here I thought it was one of the Commonwealths.

"That's a good sort of hectic, innit?"

" Very much so, and I'd recommend the haggis wontons."
-njm
Mack A. Damia
2019-11-09 00:29:07 UTC
On Tue, 05 Nov 2019 12:11:55 -0800, Mack A. Damia
Post by Mack A. Damia
'Peachment is 'spensive.
Just heard:

"He was a 'peaser.