If I said to you tomorrow...
h***@gmail.com
2019-01-14 16:42:44 UTC
In my BrE I seem to be able to time-hop in mid-sentence very easily.
"If I said to you tomorrow..." is good English isn't it?

A similar time-hop in my favourite poem from the last century:

"The path that looks as if it led..."

THE PATH

Running along a bank, a parapet
That saves from the precipitous wood below
The level road, there is a path. It serves
Children for looking down the long smooth steep,
Between the legs of beech and yew, to where
A fallen tree checks the sight: while men and women
Content themselves with the road and what they see
Over the bank, and what the children tell.
The path, winding like silver, trickles on,
Bordered and even invaded by thinnest moss
That tries to cover roots and crumbling chalk
With gold, olive, and emerald, but in vain.
The children wear it. They have flattened the bank
On top, and silvered it between the moss
With the current of their feet, year after year.
But the road is houseless, and leads not to school.
To see a child is rare there, and the eye
Has but the road, the wood that overhangs
And underyawns it, and the path that looks
As if it led on to some legendary
Or fancied place where men have wished to go
And stay; till, sudden, it ends where the wood ends.

Edward Thomas.
Paul Carmichael
2019-01-14 18:09:05 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
In my BrE I seem to be able to time-hop in mid-sentence very easily.
"If I said to you tomorrow..." is good English isn't it?
If I were to say to you...
--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/
https://asetrad.org
h***@gmail.com
2019-01-14 18:38:28 UTC
If I was to say to you...
RHDraney
If I was a sculptor, but then again no....r
Peter Moylan
2019-01-14 22:50:46 UTC
Post by RHDraney
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by h***@gmail.com
In my BrE I seem to be able to time-hop in mid-sentence very
easily. "If I said to you tomorrow..." is good English isn't
it?
If I were to say to you...
If I was to say to you...
If I was a sculptor, but then again no....r
You've just cleared up a mystery for me. I've always heard that line as
"If I was a skelter, ...", and I never got around to looking up what a
skelter was.
2019-01-15 22:08:51 UTC
Post by RHDraney
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by h***@gmail.com
In my BrE I seem to be able to time-hop in mid-sentence very
easily. "If I said to you tomorrow..." is good English isn't
it?
If I were to say to you...
If I was to say to you...
If I was a sculptor, but then again no....r
You've just cleared up a mystery for me. I've always heard that line as
"If I was a skelter, ...", and I never got around to looking up what a
skelter was.
Your life been too helter-skelter to open a dictionary?
--
If you kill one person, you go to jail; if you kill 20, you go
to an institution for the insane; if you kill 20,000, you get
for prosecutions at Human Rights Watch
h***@gmail.com
2019-01-16 16:06:33 UTC
Post by RHDraney
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by h***@gmail.com
In my BrE I seem to be able to time-hop in mid-sentence very easily.
"If I said to you tomorrow..." is good English isn't it?
If I were to say to you...
If I was to say to you...
If I was a sculptor, but then again no....r
I have always thought (wrongly) that it is "If I were a sculptor...",
and the question is prompted by another mondegreen:

Led Zeppelin actually sing "If I say to you tomorrow...", which seems
to mean something slightly different - I can't explain what. A nice
change of tense in this old poem; the present to the past then back again:

My Early Home

Here sparrows build upon the trees,
And stock-dove hides her nest:
The leaves are winnowed by the breeze
Into a calmer rest;
The black-cap’s song was very sweet;
That used the rose to kiss;
It made the paradise complete:
My early home was this.

The redbreast from the sweetbrier bush
Dropt down to pick the worm;
On the horse-chestnut sang the thrush,
O’er the house where I was born.
The moonlight, like a shower of pearls,
Fell o’er this ‘bower of bliss’,
And on the bench sat boys and girls;
My early home was this.

The old house stooped just like a cave,
Thatched o’er with mosses green;
Winter around the walls would rave,
But all was calm within;
The trees are here all green again,
Here bees the flowers still kiss,
But flowers and trees seemed sweeter then;
My early home was this.

John Clare 1793-1864

Pamela
2019-01-15 23:55:27 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
[...]
I'm reminded of Led Zeppelin's "What Is and What Should Never Be".

And if I say to you tomorrow
Take my hand, child come with me
It's to a castle I will take you
Where what's to be, they say will be