milliHelen - definition
2018-09-03 17:53:57 UTC
From 'Workaholics', the BBC radio program that brought you 'parselee'
(Japanese for spinster), we now have the 'milliHelen'.

The milliHelen is a measure of beauty. It is the beauty necessary to
launch a single ship.

(Well, it made me smile)
Harrison Hill
2018-09-03 18:00:26 UTC
From 'Workaholics', the BBC radio program that brought you 'parselee'
(Japanese for spinster), we now have the 'milliHelen'.
The milliHelen is a measure of beauty. It is the beauty necessary to
launch a single ship.
(Well, it made me smile)
Me too. Hopefully the "topless towers" escaped with a scalding, and
Paris with an EU telling-off
Peter T. Daniels
2018-09-03 18:49:55 UTC
From 'Workaholics', the BBC radio program that brought you 'parselee'
(Japanese for spinster), we now have the 'milliHelen'.
The milliHelen is a measure of beauty. It is the beauty necessary to
launch a single ship.
(Well, it made me smile)
goes back to at least 1958

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_(unit)
Richard Yates
2018-09-03 18:49:59 UTC
From 'Workaholics', the BBC radio program that brought you 'parselee'
(Japanese for spinster), we now have the 'milliHelen'.
The milliHelen is a measure of beauty. It is the beauty necessary to
launch a single ship.
(Well, it made me smile)
It is by no means original to Workaholics, though, with examples found
at least 45 years ago.
Mark Brader
2018-09-03 19:30:19 UTC
Post by Richard Yates
Post by occam
From 'Workaholics', the BBC radio program that brought you 'parselee'
(Japanese for spinster), we now have the 'milliHelen'.
It is by no means original to Workaholics, though, with examples found
at least 45 years ago.
And, of course, spelled "millihelen". That's what you get for learning
words from the radio.
--
Mark Brader "I think [they] wanted ... us ... to try [them] out
Toronto and then tell the world how good they are, and
***@vex.net it's tempting to do just that." -- Steve Summit
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-09-03 20:13:44 UTC
Post by Richard Yates
Post by occam
From 'Workaholics', the BBC radio program that brought you 'parselee'
(Japanese for spinster), we now have the 'milliHelen'.
It is by no means original to Workaholics, though, with examples found
at least 45 years ago.
And, of course, spelled "millihelen".
Of course, but I didn't want seem too pedantic by pointing that out.
Its unit can have H, however. Maybe mHl?
2018-09-04 07:39:39 UTC
Post by Richard Yates
Post by occam
From 'Workaholics', the BBC radio program that brought you 'parselee'
(Japanese for spinster), we now have the 'milliHelen'.
It is by no means original to Workaholics, though, with examples found
at least 45 years ago.
And, of course, spelled "millihelen".
Of course, but I didn't want seem too pedantic by pointing that out.
Its unit can have H, however. Maybe mHl?
Sure, since the mH has already been taken by Henry,

2018-09-03 23:12:56 UTC
Post by Richard Yates
Post by occam
From 'Workaholics', the BBC radio program that brought you 'parselee'
(Japanese for spinster), we now have the 'milliHelen'.
It is by no means original to Workaholics, though, with examples found
at least 45 years ago.
And, of course, spelled "millihelen". That's what you get for learning
words from the radio.
"milliHelen" in a letter in the January 1959 issue of New Scientist.
http://tinyurl.com/yamho9fa
for
https://books.google.ie/books?id=92k0o9xk-RcC&lpg=PA93&dq=New%20Scientist%201959%20Unit%20of%20Ugliness&pg=PA93#v=onepage&q=New%20Scientist%201959%20Unit%20of%20Ugliness&f=false

Unit of ugliness

Sir, - In the correspondence on "The
mathematics of beauty," I was interested
in the concept of the milliHelen, defined
as the amount of beauty required to
launch one ship. It may be of interest
to record that this idea was conceived
independently by an ex-colleague, Edgar
J. Westbury. He and I worked this out
some six months or so ago, extending
the dimension into the opposite realm.
We devised the "negative milliHelen,"
or to bring it into line with current
thought on anti-matter, the "milli-
antiHelen." This is the unit of female
ugliness, and is the amount required to
sink one battleship.
P. Lockwood.
2018-09-04 06:52:38 UTC
Post by Richard Yates
Post by occam
From 'Workaholics', the BBC radio program that brought you 'parselee'
[...]
I'm with Messrs Lockwood and Westbury when it comes to the
capitalisation of milliHelen. As for sinking a battleship, we need to
forget the milli and focus on more realistic multiples.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-09-03 20:10:04 UTC
From 'Workaholics', the BBC radio program that brought you 'parselee'
(Japanese for spinster), we now have the 'milliHelen'.
The milliHelen is a measure of beauty. It is the beauty necessary to
launch a single ship.
Really oldsville, that one. Already well known when I were a lad.
Wikipedia dates it at 1958, which seems about right.
Post by occam
(Well, it made me smile)
RHDraney
2018-09-03 21:38:19 UTC
From 'Workaholics', the BBC radio program that brought you 'parselee'
(Japanese for spinster), we now have the 'milliHelen'.
The milliHelen is a measure of beauty. It is the beauty necessary to
launch a single ship.
Really oldsville, that one. Already well known when I were a lad.
Wikipedia dates it at 1958, which seems about right.
How far back goes the observation that there are 10^12 microphones in a
megaphone?...r
Peter Young
2018-09-04 06:07:36 UTC
Post by RHDraney
From 'Workaholics', the BBC radio program that brought you 'parselee'
(Japanese for spinster), we now have the 'milliHelen'.
The milliHelen is a measure of beauty. It is the beauty necessary to
launch a single ship.
Really oldsville, that one. Already well known when I were a lad.
Wikipedia dates it at 1958, which seems about right.
How far back goes the observation that there are 10^12 microphones in a
megaphone?...r
And what about how long ago 1958 was in micro-fortnights?

Peter.
(US equivalent: Certified Anesthesiologist) (AUE Au)
http://pnyoung.orpheusweb.co.uk
occam
2018-09-04 06:48:40 UTC
Post by Peter Young
Post by RHDraney
From 'Workaholics', the BBC radio program that brought you 'parselee'
(Japanese for spinster), we now have the 'milliHelen'.
The milliHelen is a measure of beauty. It is the beauty necessary to
launch a single ship.
Really oldsville, that one. Already well known when I were a lad.
Wikipedia dates it at 1958, which seems about right.
How far back goes the observation that there are 10^12 microphones in a
megaphone?...r
And what about how long ago 1958 was in micro-fortnights?
And what is a "micro-fortnight" Is that the time a holiday feels like,
before you are back at work?
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-09-04 06:57:03 UTC
Post by Peter Young
Post by RHDraney
From 'Workaholics', the BBC radio program that brought you 'parselee'
(Japanese for spinster), we now have the 'milliHelen'.
The milliHelen is a measure of beauty. It is the beauty necessary to
launch a single ship.
Really oldsville, that one. Already well known when I were a lad.
Wikipedia dates it at 1958, which seems about right.
How far back goes the observation that there are 10^12 microphones in a
megaphone?...r
And what about how long ago 1958 was in micro-fortnights?
And what is a "micro-fortnight" Is that the time a holiday feels like,
before you are back at work?
While checking out other jocular units I discovered that a friedman is
six months. Maybe that's one we can use here.
phil
2018-09-04 08:37:59 UTC
Post by Peter Young
Post by RHDraney
From 'Workaholics', the BBC radio program that brought you 'parselee'
(Japanese for spinster), we now have the 'milliHelen'.
The milliHelen is a measure of beauty. It is the beauty necessary to
launch a single ship.
Really oldsville, that one. Already well known when I were a lad.
Wikipedia dates it at 1958, which seems about right.
How far back goes the observation that there are 10^12 microphones in a
megaphone?...r
And what about how long ago 1958 was in micro-fortnights?
 And what is a "micro-fortnight"  Is that the time a holiday feels like,
 before you are back at work?
While checking out other jocular units I discovered that a friedman is
six months. Maybe that's one we can use here.
I always liked the unit of cross-sectional area used in
neutron-scattering experiments (and more generally since). The barn is
equal to 10^-28 square metres.
J. J. Lodder
2018-09-04 09:40:19 UTC
Post by phil
Post by Peter Young
Post by RHDraney
From 'Workaholics', the BBC radio program that brought you 'parselee'
(Japanese for spinster), we now have the 'milliHelen'.
The milliHelen is a measure of beauty. It is the beauty necessary to
launch a single ship.
Really oldsville, that one. Already well known when I were a lad.
Wikipedia dates it at 1958, which seems about right.
How far back goes the observation that there are 10^12 microphones in a
megaphone?...r
And what about how long ago 1958 was in micro-fortnights?
And what is a "micro-fortnight" Is that the time a holiday feels like,
before you are back at work?
While checking out other jocular units I discovered that a friedman is
six months. Maybe that's one we can use here.
I always liked the unit of cross-sectional area used in
neutron-scattering experiments (and more generally since). The barn is
equal to 10^-28 square metres.
And it is HUGE.
Picobarns are more commonly used these days,

2018-09-04 07:39:39 UTC
From 'Workaholics', the BBC radio program that brought you 'parselee'
(Japanese for spinster), we now have the 'milliHelen'.
The milliHelen is a measure of beauty. It is the beauty necessary to
launch a single ship.
Really oldsville, that one. Already well known when I were a lad.
Wikipedia dates it at 1958, which seems about right.
Asimov claims to have coined the term in the 40s,
while a grad student, but he hs no documentary proof of it.

Quite possible I think. This kind of student humour
may circulate a long time before someone finally publishes it,

Jan
Joseph C. Fineman
2018-09-03 21:09:02 UTC
The milliHelen is a measure of beauty.
Specifically, facial beauty.
Post by occam
It is the beauty necessary to launch a single ship.
And the microhelen is the amount necessary to arouse a single sailor.
--
--- Joe Fineman ***@verizon.net

||: Applause makes a good time to fart. :||
Madrigal Gurneyhalt
2018-09-03 21:29:14 UTC
From 'Workaholics',
Busy as Gyles Brandreth always is the show is called
Wordaholics!