Fading Fast
2020-01-01 08:14:59 UTC
The last page of the calendar is about to leaf us. 2019 will soon be a tall
tale. A wedge of evening in Hawaii and beyond it the Indian Ocean is about
all that's left.
A local educational institution has used the airwaves to present the late,
great Anna Russell's explanation of the Ring Cycle: "After 20 hours, you're
right back where you started."
I thought they had begun some exposure to British culture with an episode of
the Goon Show, but we're still getting Beyond the Fringe and Ernie Kovacs.
Now running with "The Missing Prime Minister of 1953".

There's nothing inherently wrong with Big Data. What matters, as it
does for Arnold Lund in California or Richard Rothman in Baltimore, are
the questions -- old and new, good and bad -- this newest tool lets us
ask. (R. Lerhman, CSMonitor.com)
charles
2020-01-01 09:41:14 UTC
The last page of the calendar is about to leaf us. 2019 will soon be a
tall tale. A wedge of evening in Hawaii and beyond it the Indian Ocean
is about all that's left.
A local educational institution has used the airwaves to present the
late, great Anna Russell's explanation of the Ring Cycle: "After 20
hours, you're right back where you started."
Sa her once at the Edinburgh Festival c 1960.
2020-01-01 16:16:08 UTC
Post by charles
The last page of the calendar is about to leaf us. 2019 will soon be a
tall tale. A wedge of evening in Hawaii and beyond it the Indian Ocean
is about all that's left.
A local educational institution has used the airwaves to present the
late, great Anna Russell's explanation of the Ring Cycle: "After 20
hours, you're right back where you started."
Sa her once at the Edinburgh Festival c 1960.
Four times! Twice with her regular act (I think once at the Auditorium
Theatre and once at Orchestra Hall); once when she recited Walton's
Façade with the Chicago Symphony Chamber Players -- from memory; and
the text was printed in the program, and she was word-perfect!; and
then, completely unbilled, as the opening act (45 minutes) at a P.D.Q.
Bach concert in Avery Fisher Hall (which is now David Geffen Hall even
though the complete renovation that he paid for hasn't even been begun).
Is the Nairobi Quartet the greatest music video ever created?
Horace LaBadie
When did the Trio add another band member?
Peter T. Daniels
2020-01-01 16:57:39 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by charles
I thought they had begun some exposure to British culture with an
episode of the Goon Show, but we're still getting Beyond the Fringe and
Ernie Kovacs.
Is the Nairobi Quartet the greatest music video ever created?
When did the Trio add another band member?
That's how good they were! Their strength was as the strength of four
because their hearts were pure!
RH Draney
2020-01-01 21:24:26 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Is the Nairobi Quartet the greatest music video ever created?
When did the Trio add another band member?
That's how good they were! Their strength was as the strength of four
because their hearts were pure!
Actually, they started as the Nairobi Duo...I've just been going through
a bunch of Kovacs on DVD and found that earlier version of the sketch....r
s***@gmail.com
2020-01-03 20:25:22 UTC
The last page of the calendar is about to leaf us. 2019 will soon be a
tall tale. A wedge of evening in Hawaii and beyond it the Indian Ocean
is about all that's left.
ITYM Pacific Ocean. The Indian Ocean is all switched over by the time
the day (or year) reaches the Americas.
Doh! I'm trained to think of Australia as ahead by a day,
but ahead by hours also is in play.

/dps "Okay, so after Hawaii ... gone!"
Quinn C
2020-01-03 22:36:10 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
The last page of the calendar is about to leaf us. 2019 will soon be a
tall tale. A wedge of evening in Hawaii and beyond it the Indian Ocean
is about all that's left.
ITYM Pacific Ocean. The Indian Ocean is all switched over by the time
the day (or year) reaches the Americas.
Doh! I'm trained to think of Australia as ahead by a day,
but ahead by hours also is in play.
/dps "Okay, so after Hawaii ... gone!"
American Samoa enters the new year one hour after Hawaii (25 hours
after Samoa!), Baker Island and Howland Island* another hour later.
<https://www.worldtimezone.com/newyear.html>

* Wildlife Refuge, no trespassing!
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
2020-01-05 17:14:49 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
The last page of the calendar is about to leaf us. 2019 will soon be a
tall tale. A wedge of evening in Hawaii and beyond it the Indian Ocean
is about all that's left.
ITYM Pacific Ocean. The Indian Ocean is all switched over by the time
the day (or year) reaches the Americas.
Doh! I'm trained to think of Australia as ahead by a day,
but ahead by hours also is in play.
/dps "Okay, so after Hawaii ... gone!"
They lost out to some tiny island that changed its timezone in 1999
for the purpose of having 'the first light of the new century',
"They" being someone not mentioned before in this thread, because this
was about the *last* light of the decade.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
2020-01-07 02:30:19 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
The last page of the calendar is about to leaf us. 2019 will soon be a
tall tale. A wedge of evening in Hawaii and beyond it the Indian Ocean
is about all that's left.
ITYM Pacific Ocean. The Indian Ocean is all switched over by the time
the day (or year) reaches the Americas.
Doh! I'm trained to think of Australia as ahead by a day,
but ahead by hours also is in play.
And it seems I was facing south when heading over the Pacific,
but still thinking the sun was following my right hand.
Post by s***@gmail.com
/dps "Okay, so after Hawaii ... gone!"
Now to find some grey cells.

2020-01-08 03:04:57 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by s***@gmail.com
The last page of the calendar is about to leaf us. 2019 will soon be a
tall tale. A wedge of evening in Hawaii and beyond it the Indian Ocean
is about all that's left.
ITYM Pacific Ocean. The Indian Ocean is all switched over by the time
the day (or year) reaches the Americas.
Doh! I'm trained to think of Australia as ahead by a day,
but ahead by hours also is in play.
And it seems I was facing south when heading over the Pacific,
but still thinking the sun was following my right hand.
while looking north on the maps.