Do you think it's better if I first check this.
Add Reply
hongy...@gmail.com
2021-03-30 01:10:51 UTC
Consider the following sentence:

"Do you think it's better if I first check this."

I want to know if the form/dummy subject "it" refers to the clause "if I first check this".

Regards,
HY
s***@my-deja.com
2021-03-30 01:54:02 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
"Do you think it's better if I first check this."
I want to know if the form/dummy subject "it" refers to the clause "if I first check this".
My answer:-

"It" here refers to the situation in general.

"Do you think that
the situation
would be better
if I checked this matter first."

This is an impersonal way of saying

"Do you think that I should check this before doing anything else?"
hongy...@gmail.com
2021-03-30 09:55:30 UTC
Post by s***@my-deja.com
Post by ***@gmail.com
"Do you think it's better if I first check this."
I want to know if the form/dummy subject "it" refers to the clause "if I first check this".
My answer:-
"It" here refers to the situation in general.
"Do you think that
the situation
would be better
if I checked this matter first."
This is an impersonal way of saying
What's an *impersonal way*?
s***@my-deja.com
2021-03-30 10:10:44 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by s***@my-deja.com
Post by ***@gmail.com
"Do you think it's better if I first check this."
I want to know if the form/dummy subject "it" refers to the clause "if I first check this".
My answer:-
"It" here refers to the situation in general.
"Do you think that
the situation
would be better
if I checked this matter first."
This is an impersonal way of saying
What's an *impersonal way*?
Avoiding saying "you"
for example:-
Personal: You must not smoke here.
Impersonal: No Smoking
Impersonal: Smoking Forbidden.

Personal: Do not step on the grass.
Impersonal: It is forbidden to step on the grass
Peter T. Daniels
2021-03-30 13:52:38 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
"Do you think it's better if I first check this."
I want to know if the form/dummy subject "it" refers to the clause "if I first check this".
Dummy subjects do not "refer."

In "It's raining," what does "it" refer to?

Read *Alice in Wonderland*. Or at least, search in it for "found
it advisable."