a file with the database
tonbei
2020-01-13 07:44:24 UTC
I have a question about the following sentences from a novel.

The sleek, upright unit most closely resembling a set of washers and dryers was the
fingerprint matching processor, its function to match unknown prints against the multimillion fingerprint data base stored on magnetic disks.
( - omitted - )
"So whoever left the prints on her has prints on file with the data base?" I asked.
"That's right."
"Meaning it's possible he has a criminal record?"
(Post Mortem by P. Cornwell)

context:
Someone's fingerprints were detected from a murdered woman's body.
The latent prints conformed to a set of ones stored in the database which contain a great number of fingerprints
collected from the whole land.

Question is about "(a) file with the data base", specifically about an usage of "with".
I guess this "with" is similar to an usage as in " I have been with ABC Co. since it was founded ten years ago."

Both indicate: something belongs to something else.

What do you think?
tonbei
2020-01-13 08:26:08 UTC
I've realized that:

in "has something on file with the database",
its usage is the same as "leave it with someone

It was wrong to take the sentence as "a file with the database."
Peter T. Daniels
2020-01-13 13:48:15 UTC
Post by tonbei
[...]
Your follow-up posting is correct, but did you notice the actual
problems in the passage:

should be "that most closely resembles" (the participle suggests the
machine has already been described previously)

"its function to match" should be "its function being to match"

"the multimillion fingerprint data base" isn't great. It could be
slightly saved by a hyphen, but it seems odd to count fingerprints
rather than persons (there are presumably 10% as many persons as
fingerprints in the database). (Whether database should be one word
or two seems no longer to be an open question, though the Chicago
Manual of Style insists on "web site" not "website.")