Good at what?
2021-02-20 20:40:02 UTC
"... [as a woman] one has to be careful not to hurt men's ego - which
I'm very good at ..."

Is the speaker good at hurting mens' egos or not hurting them? I guess
the former, but does grammar help one get to that interpretation (rather
than world knowledge)?
--
... she didn't exactly approve of the military. She didn't
exactly disapprove, either; she just made it plain that she
to do with their lives. -- L. McMaster Bujold, Memory
Peter T. Daniels
2021-02-20 21:00:12 UTC
"... [as a woman] one has to be careful not to hurt men's ego - which
I'm very good at ..."
Is the speaker good at hurting mens' egos or not hurting them? I guess
the former, but does grammar help one get to that interpretation (rather
than world knowledge)?
I suspect the ambiguity was intentional.

Especially if your annoyingly anonymous source is a humorist, or a
would-be one.
Quinn C
2021-02-21 03:26:25 UTC
"... [as a woman] one has to be careful not to hurt men's ego - which
I'm very good at ..."
Is the speaker good at hurting mens' egos or not hurting them? I guess
the former, but does grammar help one get to that interpretation (rather
than world knowledge)?
I suspect the ambiguity was intentional.
Especially if your annoyingly anonymous source is a humorist, or a
would-be one.
She isn't, so I think it wasn't.

I hope you don't think this observation is only good for comedy. A lot
of women (and men) make it over and over, in all seriousness. It just
came up in a 1993 teen drama I'm watching, as a comment on a first date
(Roughly: He seemed to enjoy it, until I began winning at bowling. -
Boy's egos are sometimes ... fragile.)

The quote is from Kyra Sedgwick on Ask Me Another. She explained how the
figure she plays on The Closer does reflect general expectations on
women that she had to deal with in her career, too. I've never watched
the show, but apparently, it's a hard-nosed investigator with a
deceptively sweet demeanor and the catchphrase "Thank you so much."
My pronouns are they/them
(or other gender-neutral ones)
Peter T. Daniels
2021-02-21 04:45:22 UTC
[...]
That was an old episode, and I didn't more than 1/4 listen to it. She's
currently more than hilarious in the new ABC series *Call Your Mother*.

I suspect that just about every time someone uses a "dangling" modifier like
that, they intend it to dangle unspecifiedly.
Quinn C
2021-02-21 15:23:05 UTC
"... [as a woman] one has to be careful not to hurt men's ego - which
I'm very good at ..."
Is the speaker good at hurting mens' egos or not hurting them? I guess
the former, but does grammar help one get to that interpretation (rather
than world knowledge)?
I suspect the ambiguity was intentional.
Especially if your annoyingly anonymous source is a humorist, or a
would-be one.
[...]
The quote is from Kyra Sedgwick on Ask Me Another. She explained how the
figure she plays on The Closer does reflect general expectations on
women that she had to deal with in her career, too. I've never watched
the show, but apparently, it's a hard-nosed investigator with a
deceptively sweet demeanor and the catchphrase "Thank you so much."
That was an old episode,
I don't think so.
Post by Peter T. Daniels
I suspect that just about every time someone uses a "dangling" modifier like
that, they intend it to dangle unspecifiedly.
Hm.
--
Somebody, your father or mine, should have told us that not many
people have ever died of love. But multitudes have perished, and
-- James Baldwin, Giovanni's Room
Peter T. Daniels
2021-02-21 15:36:36 UTC
[...]
Maybe you weren't a regular listener last spring. If it were current, she
would have been plugging *Call Your Mother*.
Hm.
Quinn C
2021-02-21 23:16:16 UTC
[...]
Call Your Mother was also mentioned, which pretty much rules out it
being from last spring.

I only listen to the podcast, and there, it was not marked as a repeat
(which regularly happens, and then I usually skip it.)
Peter T. Daniels
2021-02-22 02:38:40 UTC
[...]
Maybe they're gluing together "new" episodes from old stuff plus
an occasional new one. Even when it's in "regular" production from
some trendy spot in Brooklyn, it's not on a regular schedule.

Or maybe they're recycling quizzes ...
Quinn C
2021-02-22 14:29:12 UTC
[...]
I find it more likely that you're confused because WWDTM had a "best of"
episode in the same week. That has no direct influence on AMA, though.

Your insistence in the face of evidence to the contrary is very
characteristic. You do make mistakes, lots of them, live with it like
the rest of us.
Peter T. Daniels
2021-02-22 15:42:21 UTC
[...]
Yeah. Wait Wait (as its fans call it) is good, AMA (as it calls itself) isn't.
Post by Quinn C
Your insistence in the face of evidence to the contrary is very
characteristic. You do make mistakes, lots of them, live with it like
the rest of us.
Sorry, but I'd heard some of the program before. ("Writers from Seth
Meyers Late Night"?)

Or maybe the podcast isn't the same as the broadcast program.
Quinn C
2021-02-22 17:40:40 UTC
I find it more likely that you're confused because WWDTM had a "best of"
episode in the same week. That has no direct influence on AMA, though.
Yeah. Wait Wait (as its fans call it) is good, AMA (as it calls itself) isn't.
If you say so.

The strongest impression I have from Wait Wait was when I first listened
to it and asked myself "How do they make it sound like it's still the
1970s?"

It has nice banter that is a bit political, but for anyone who likes
crosswords and the like, the games in AMA are far more interesting.
Like, they're actual games, and not just a format for the banter to
proceed in.
Peter T. Daniels
2021-02-22 20:26:26 UTC
I find it more likely that you're confused because WWDTM had a "best of"
episode in the same week. That has no direct influence on AMA, though.
Yeah. Wait Wait (as its fans call it) is good, AMA (as it calls itself) isn't.
If you say so.
The strongest impression I have from Wait Wait was when I first listened
to it and asked myself "How do they make it sound like it's still the
1970s?"
It has nice banter that is a bit political, but for anyone who likes
crosswords and the like,
??? It's identified every week as "NPR's News Quiz." It's been going
for more than 20 years, so they probably know what they're doing.
Post by Quinn C
the games in AMA are far more interesting.
Like, they're actual games, and not just a format for the banter to
proceed in.
The "games" on AMA almost exclusively require you to be familiar
with current pop music and movies. It's aimed solely at millennials.

Over the years the format has become more and more dull. About
two years ago they stopped having lots of contestants who would
vie to be in the Final Round, and went to mostly E-list celebrities.
(That's one step below what Kathy Griffin claimed to be in the
title of her memoir.)(

I went to it when they had a free show in Central Park, early on.
When they broadcast the episode, what they edited out was most
of the better stuff.

However, it's on opposite Fresh Air Weekend on WNYC-AM, which
is a repeat of a few segments of the week's Fresh Air, and even
Fresh Air has become more and more celebrity-driven, so there's
nothing else on the radio. (I can't get WQXR in the house -- in the
car it's fine -- meaning I can't even switch to the opera.)
Kerr-Mudd,John
2021-02-23 10:48:19 UTC
On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 17:40:40 GMT, Quinn C
I find it more likely that you're confused because WWDTM had a "best
of" episode in the same week. That has no direct influence on AMA,
though.
Yeah. Wait Wait (as its fans call it) is good, AMA (as it calls itself) isn't.
If you say so.
You know how I got slated a bit back for Obscure Initialsms?
But I guess these are US TV shows, so not something I'd worry about.
2021-02-23 11:46:10 UTC
Post by Kerr-Mudd,John
On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 17:40:40 GMT, Quinn C
I find it more likely that you're confused because WWDTM had a "best
of" episode in the same week. That has no direct influence on AMA,
though.
Yeah. Wait Wait (as its fans call it) is good, AMA (as it calls itself) isn't.
If you say so.
You know how I got slated a bit back for Obscure Initialsms?
"Slated" in that sense is unfamiliar.
Post by Kerr-Mudd,John
But I guess these are US TV shows, so not something I'd worry about.
No, they're not. Don't parachute into a conversation without looking
at the rest of it.
2021-02-23 14:32:21 UTC
On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 10:48:19 -0000 (UTC), "Kerr-Mudd,John"
Post by Kerr-Mudd,John
On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 17:40:40 GMT, Quinn C
I find it more likely that you're confused because WWDTM had a "best
of" episode in the same week. That has no direct influence on AMA,
though.
Yeah. Wait Wait (as its fans call it) is good, AMA (as it calls itself) isn't.
If you say so.
You know how I got slated a bit back for Obscure Initialsms?
But I guess these are US TV shows, so not something I'd worry about.
US radio programs. Carried by NPR stations. WWDTM= Wait wait don't
Tell Me AMA = Ask Me Another.

Quinn and PTD are arguing about which is most listenable. PTD has
decided that since he doesn't like AMA, it is not "good".
Tony Cooper Orlando Florida
Peter T. Daniels
Does TC have some other way of determining what is "good" in this sense?
Tony Cooper
2021-02-23 15:15:24 UTC
On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 06:35:33 -0800 (PST), "Peter T. Daniels"
Post by Kerr-Mudd,John
On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 17:40:40 GMT, Quinn C
I find it more likely that you're confused because WWDTM had a "best
of" episode in the same week. That has no direct influence on AMA,
though.
Yeah. Wait Wait (as its fans call it) is good, AMA (as it calls itself) isn't.
If you say so.
You know how I got slated a bit back for Obscure Initialsms?
But I guess these are US TV shows, so not something I'd worry about.
US radio programs. Carried by NPR stations. WWDTM= Wait wait don't
Tell Me AMA = Ask Me Another.
Quinn and PTD are arguing about which is most listenable. PTD has
decided that since he doesn't like AMA, it is not "good".
Does TC have some other way of determining what is "good" in this sense?
You don't. You can determine what you think not be good, though. And
state it that way.

I prefer to listen to WWDTM and generally do not listen to AMA.
Tony Cooper Orlando Florida
Kerr-Mudd,John
2021-02-23 15:49:54 UTC
Post by Kerr-Mudd,John
On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 17:40:40 GMT, Quinn C
I find it more likely that you're confused because WWDTM had a "best
of" episode in the same week. That has no direct influence on AMA,
though.
Yeah. Wait Wait (as its fans call it) is good, AMA (as it calls itself) isn't.
If you say so.
You know how I got slated a bit back for Obscure Initialsms?
But I guess these are US TV shows, so not something I'd worry about.
US radio programs. Carried by NPR stations. WWDTM= Wait wait don't
Tell Me AMA = Ask Me Another.
Quinn and PTD are arguing about which is most listenable. PTD has
decided that since he doesn't like AMA, it is not "good".
I've just tried out:

https://www.npr.org/podcasts/344098539/wait-wait-don-t-tell-me?t=
1614093938224

Helps to know the local politics I guess.

Not my kind of thing, but thanks again.
The Gecko attack sounded fun!
2021-02-23 16:18:31 UTC
Post by Tony Cooper
Post by Kerr-Mudd,John
of" episode in the same week. That has no direct influence on AMA,
though.
Yeah. Wait Wait (as its fans call it) is good, AMA (as it calls itself) isn't.
If you say so.
You know how I got slated a bit back for Obscure Initialsms?
But I guess these are US TV shows, so not something I'd worry about.
US radio programs. Carried by NPR stations. WWDTM= Wait wait don't
Tell Me AMA = Ask Me Another.
Quinn and PTD are arguing about which is most listenable. PTD has
decided that since he doesn't like AMA, it is not "good".
https://www.npr.org/podcasts/344098539/wait-wait-don-t-tell-me?t=1614093938224
Helps to know the local politics I guess.
Not my kind of thing, but thanks again.
The Gecko attack sounded fun!
Wait Wait Don't Tell me is more entertaining when certain panelists
are on the show. My favorite is when Paula Poundstone is on the
panel.
Tony Cooper Orlando Florida
Quinn C
2021-04-04 20:43:37 UTC
On Monday, February 22, 2021 at 9:28:23 AM UTC-5, Quinn C wrote:>> I find it more likely that you're confused because WWDTM had a "best of"
Post by Quinn C
episode in the same week. That has no direct influence on AMA, though.
Yeah. Wait Wait (as its fans call it) is good, AMA (as it calls itself) isn't.
WWDTM doesn't seem to honor it's fans' preferences, then. They're having
another best of episode, and it's called "Best of WWDTM":
<https://www.npr.org/2021/04/02/984037792/best-of-wwdtm-april-2021>
--
It doesn't matter that you've got that stupid accent, or that your
bits are different to my bits, because being a Derry Girl,
-- Michelle to James, Derry Girls, series 2, episode 6
Peter T. Daniels
2021-04-05 12:02:51 UTC
Post by Quinn C
episode in the same week. That has no direct influence on AMA, though.
Yeah. Wait Wait (as its fans call it) is good, AMA (as it calls itself) isn't.
WWDTM doesn't seem to honor it's fans' preferences, then. They're having
<https://www.npr.org/2021/04/02/984037792/best-of-wwdtm-april-2021>
Do you really have a problem with them not doing a show on Maundy
Thursday for broadcast on Holy Saturday? It takes a lot of people to
put on an hour-long radio program whose taping takes several hours.
Quinn C
2021-04-06 00:53:40 UTC
Post by Quinn C
episode in the same week. That has no direct influence on AMA, though.
Yeah. Wait Wait (as its fans call it) is good, AMA (as it calls itself) isn't.
WWDTM doesn't seem to honor it's fans' preferences, then. They're having
<https://www.npr.org/2021/04/02/984037792/best-of-wwdtm-april-2021>
Do you really have a problem with them not doing a show on Maundy
Thursday for broadcast on Holy Saturday? It takes a lot of people to
put on an hour-long radio program whose taping takes several hours.
What a clown. I did not painstakingly dig out a specific line from an
old post to then change subject.
Bebercito
2021-04-05 17:16:29 UTC
"... [as a woman] one has to be careful not to hurt men's ego - which
I'm very good at ..."
Is the speaker good at hurting mens' egos or not hurting them? I guess
the former, but does grammar help one get to that interpretation (rather
than world knowledge)?
Somehow it does, as the other meaning could be expressed as:

"... [as a woman] one has to be careful - which I'm very good at - not to
hurt men's ego ..."
[...]
How does it "dangle"? Either way, the relative clause is connected regularly
to what precedes.
Peter T. Daniels
2021-04-05 20:25:35 UTC
[...]
The above discussion occurred (a month and a half ago) precisely because
the antecedent of the clause is (presumably deliberately) ambiguous.
Bebercito
2021-04-05 21:31:42 UTC
[...]
Yes but it's either of the possibilities stated in the main clause, whereas a
dangling modifier is _improperly_ connected to the main clause, e.g.
"Opening the window, the air was renewed" (the air didn't open the
window).
s***@my-deja.com
2021-02-20 23:31:09 UTC
"... [as a woman] one has to be careful not to hurt men's ego - which
I'm very good at ..."
Is the speaker good at hurting mens' egos or not hurting them? I guess
the former, but does grammar help one get to that interpretation (rather
than world knowledge)?
I would say that intonation gives the answer. It depends on whether there
is a gap before "which"
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2021-02-21 09:03:47 UTC
Post by s***@my-deja.com
Post by Quinn C
"... [as a woman] one has to be careful not to hurt men's ego - which
I'm very good at ..."
Is the speaker good at hurting mens' egos or not hurting them? I guess
the former, but does grammar help one get to that interpretation (rather
than world knowledge)?
I would say that intonation gives the answer. It depends on whether there
is a gap before "which"
It would sound very odd without a gap.
--
Athel -- British, living in France for 34 years