Acceptable mispronunciations
d***@att.net
2019-12-01 19:24:18 UTC
a) it clearly IS a mispronunciation, i.e. it is not listed in the
dictionary as a variant, and it is clearly a different string of phonemes
from any acceptable pronunciation (not just sloppy diction);
b) I frequently hear them broadcast or in public speeches or in
classrooms spoken by teachers, i.e. is contexts where the speaker is
presumably exercising some care;
c) I rarely hear them corrected, even in private conversation among
friends who occasionally correct other mispronunciations;
d) They are not generally recognized as obvious regionalisms, although
they may be such (which might account for their privileged status)
Here is my tentative list so far. Any thoughts? Additions?
"Vetinarian" for "veterinarian"
"Acrost" ("Acrossed?") for "across"
"Ast" for "asked"
"Ditt'n" for "didn't"
"Drawring" for "drawing"
"Nucular" for "nuclear"
"Febuary" for "February"
--
Daniel P. B. Smith
What about armayda for armada
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2019-12-01 19:32:42 UTC
Post by d***@att.net
[...]
Waiting 23 years for an answer: is that a record?
2019-12-01 20:40:03 UTC
Post by d***@att.net
[...]
Eh? The message you replied to was posted 5 minutes before yours.

It was a reply to the first message in the thread, not to any of the 100
messages that followed over the next three weeks.
J. J. Lodder
2019-12-02 09:56:04 UTC
Post by d***@att.net
[...]
You keep forgetting that there are more fortunate people,
not afflicted with Gurgle,
who don't see all that excessive cross-posting,

2019-12-02 14:42:33 UTC
[stuff]
Post by d***@att.net
What about armayda for armada
Waiting 23 years for an answer: is that a record?
Eh? The message you replied to was posted 5 minutes before yours.
It was a reply to the first message in the thread, not to any of the 100
messages that followed over the next three weeks.
You keep forgetting that there are more fortunate people,
not afflicted with Gurgle,
who don't see all that excessive cross-posting,
?? GG users see no evidence of cross-posting whatsoever.

What GG-users see, if they scroll backward, is the headers of all the
messages in a thread, back to its first one. (When they choose a thread,
they are taken to the most recent message(s).)

[Note the judicious use of snippage, not something practiced by JJ.]
J. J. Lodder
2019-12-02 15:44:23 UTC
[stuff]
Post by d***@att.net
What about armayda for armada
Waiting 23 years for an answer: is that a record?
Eh? The message you replied to was posted 5 minutes before yours.
It was a reply to the first message in the thread, not to any of the 100
messages that followed over the next three weeks.
You keep forgetting that there are more fortunate people,
not afflicted with Gurgle,
who don't see all that excessive cross-posting,
?? GG users see no evidence of cross-posting whatsoever.
But I don't see the postings at all,
if they are excessively crossposted.
Post by Peter T. Daniels
What GG-users see, if they scroll backward, is the headers of all the
messages in a thread, back to its first one. (When they choose a thread,
they are taken to the most recent message(s).)
[Note the judicious use of snippage, not something practiced by JJ.]
So even that is beyond your ability to notice things,

2019-12-02 14:47:36 UTC
[stuff]
Post by d***@att.net
What about armayda for armada
Waiting 23 years for an answer: is that a record?
Eh? The message you replied to was posted 5 minutes before yours.
It was a reply to the first message in the thread, not to any of the 100
messages that followed over the next three weeks.
I don't care about that, but about the fact that doubleguru _thought_
[s]he was replying to a message from D. P. B. Smith.
The question was in the message posted 5 minutes before yours. doubleguru
had not been waiting 23 years for an answer. Perhaps Daniel P. B. Smith
could have been said to be, had he returned to the thread.