chat
m***@gmail.com
2019-12-02 21:28:25 UTC
I am starting to see the word chat being used minus a preposition as in
"I chatted John earlier today"- almost always referring to an Instant Message communication (Skype, Slack, M$ Teams etc.)

Is this a new thing or (as usual) I am just behind the times :-)
David Kleinecke
2019-12-02 22:36:36 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
I am starting to see the word chat being used minus a preposition as in
"I chatted John earlier today"- almost always referring to an Instant Message communication (Skype, Slack, M$ Teams etc.)
Is this a new thing or (as usual) I am just behind the times :-)
An example of the on-going English change of verb+preposition to
transitive verb. Compare "shop", "ski" even "because".

I think it's a relatively recent thing.
Peter T. Daniels
2019-12-03 15:26:59 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
Post by m***@gmail.com
I am starting to see the word chat being used minus a preposition as in
"I chatted John earlier today"- almost always referring to an Instant Message communication (Skype, Slack, M$ Teams etc.)
Is this a new thing or (as usual) I am just behind the times :-)
I guess I don't look at hip sources like you do.)
Post by David Kleinecke
An example of the on-going English change of verb+preposition to
transitive verb. Compare "shop", "ski" even "because".
I think it's a relatively recent thing.
? Are you talking about "she shopped the screenplay around till she
found a producer willing to take a chance on it"? (Surely not "he
shopped garlic cloves because he was planning to make roast lamb.")

Ski ??? "ski the slopes"? Is that new??

Because unfathomable.
David Kleinecke
2019-12-03 20:21:57 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
An example of the on-going English change of verb+preposition to
transitive verb. Compare "shop", "ski" even "because".
I think it's a relatively recent thing.
? Are you talking about "she shopped the screenplay around till she
found a producer willing to take a chance on it"? (Surely not "he
shopped garlic cloves because he was planning to make roast lamb.")
Ski ??? "ski the slopes"? Is that new??
Because unfathomable.
I remember the case of "ski". In my youth one didn't "ski Donner" -
one "skied at Donner" (with obvious variants). I was old enough to
be skiing (cross-country) myself before I encountered the prep-less
version. I think this happened in Colorado and at the time my notion
was that going east I had met "ski Donner" coming west.

"Shop K-Mart" first started appearing generally in California about
that time replacing "Shop at K-Mart".

From a linguistic POV the change is small. The pattern VERB + NOUN
replaces the pattern VERB + at + NOUN. Same number of slots.