ADS Words of the Year and Words of the Decade
Garrett Wollman
2020-01-03 19:20:04 UTC
I didn't go to the LSA annual meeting this year[*], but it's happening
right now in New Orleans, and in a few hours the American Dialect
Society will be holding the annual Word of the Year vote, plus an
additional vote for Word of the Decade.

The nominations for 2019's WOTY, from
<https://www.americandialect.org/nominations-for-words-of-the-year-2019-and-words-of-the-decade-2010-2019>:

Political: #IMPOTUS, quid pro quo, squad, Trumpschmerz (my favorite)

Most likely to succeed: ok boomer, plant-based, stan, zoomer

Slang/informal: and I oop, hot girl summer, zaddr (I don't recognize
any of these)

Most creative: [X]-curious, gerrymeandering, nobody:, sksksk
(keysmash)

Euphemism: freedom gas / molecules of freedom, Heckboy, people of
means, self-partnered

Digital: [fax machine emoji] for "facts", im[peach emoji], VSCO girl

Overall WOTY: ok boomer, cancel, pronouns, Karen

The nominations for word of the decade (which I guess might also
whichever word wins for 2019; I'm not sure how they came up with this
list):

#BlackLivesMatter, climate, emoji, meme, #MeToo, opioid crisis,
selfie, they, woke

(I believe several if not all of these were previous years' WOTY
winners.)

The votes will take place starting at 5 PM CST today (that's 2300 GMT
tonight or 10 AM Sydney time tomorrow), with a press release to follow
from ADS after the end of the session.

-GAWollman

[*] Mostly because it's too far to travel at what for me is a busy
time of year; I went to last year's because it was in New York, and
might go to Washington, D.C., in 2022.
***@bimajority.org| act to remove constraint from the future. This is
2020-01-03 21:41:15 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
I didn't go to the LSA annual meeting this year[*], but it's happening
right now in New Orleans, and in a few hours the American Dialect
Society will be holding the annual Word of the Year vote, plus an
additional vote for Word of the Decade.
The nominations for 2019's WOTY, from
Political: #IMPOTUS, quid pro quo, squad, Trumpschmerz (my favorite)
Most likely to succeed: ok boomer, plant-based, stan, zoomer
Slang/informal: and I oop, hot girl summer, zaddr (I don't recognize
any of these)
Most creative: [X]-curious, gerrymeandering, nobody:, sksksk
(keysmash)
Euphemism: freedom gas / molecules of freedom, Heckboy, people of
means, self-partnered
Digital: [fax machine emoji] for "facts", im[peach emoji], VSCO girl
Overall WOTY: ok boomer, cancel, pronouns, Karen
Poor Ben Zimmer has to explain all those unknown knowns.
Post by Garrett Wollman
The nominations for word of the decade (which I guess might also
whichever word wins for 2019; I'm not sure how they came up with this
#BlackLivesMatter, climate, emoji, meme, #MeToo, opioid crisis,
selfie, they, woke
(I believe several if not all of these were previous years' WOTY
winners.)
The votes will take place starting at 5 PM CST today (that's 2300 GMT
tonight or 10 AM Sydney time tomorrow), with a press release to follow
from ADS after the end of the session.
-GAWollman
[*] Mostly because it's too far to travel at what for me is a busy
time of year; I went to last year's because it was in New York, and
might go to Washington, D.C., in 2022.
Last DC time the hotel was in the middle of a desert -- only one place
to eat within a few blocks that wasn't a hotel restaurant, and almost
directly across the street from one of the worst rightwing "think" tanks
(I don't remember which one). The meeting rooms were spread over three
below-ground floors.

It was the first time I attended a WotY; in my previous years it had
been scheduled opposite some important LSA event. It was in a large
but nonetheless overcrowded room. Last year it was in the biggest
hall and not opposite anything important.
Quinn C
2020-01-06 18:42:28 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
I didn't go to the LSA annual meeting this year[*], but it's happening
right now in New Orleans, and in a few hours the American Dialect
Society will be holding the annual Word of the Year vote, plus an
additional vote for Word of the Decade.
And the winner is ...

“(my) pronouns” for 2019
singular “they” for the decade

<https://www.americandialect.org/2019-word-of-the-year-is-my-pronouns-word-of-the-decade-is-singular-they>

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
Garrett Wollman
2020-01-06 19:13:02 UTC
And the winner is ...
“(my) pronouns” for 2019
singular “they” for the decade
It was noted by those live-tweeting the event and also in some media
hits afterward that an audience of linguists is likely to be
particularly interested when closed-category words like pronouns
become significant subjects of discourse in the broader public.

-GAWollman
***@bimajority.org| act to remove constraint from the future. This is