Rap Sheet
2019-01-20 17:30:00 UTC
"Rap Sheet"

Urban Dictionary tells me that "Rap" is an acronym for "Record of
Arrests and Prosecutions", but there is no other support for this
claim.

"He took the rap for the robbery."

My own thought is that it is related to a "rap on the knuckles".

Is the term, "rap", in the sense of criminal responsibility used in
the UK?
Paul Carmichael
2019-01-20 17:41:22 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
"Rap Sheet"
Urban Dictionary tells me that "Rap" is an acronym for "Record of
Arrests and Prosecutions", but there is no other support for this
claim.
"He took the rap for the robbery."
I think I'd more likely hear "He did the time" or "took a fall" etc.

I might even hear "took the blame".
--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/
https://asetrad.org
Peter Young
2019-01-20 17:42:01 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
"Rap Sheet"
Urban Dictionary tells me that "Rap" is an acronym for "Record of
Arrests and Prosecutions", but there is no other support for this
claim.
"He took the rap for the robbery."
My own thought is that it is related to a "rap on the knuckles".
Is the term, "rap", in the sense of criminal responsibility used in
the UK?
Yes, commonly.

Peter.
(US equivalent: Certified Anesthesiologist) (AUE Au)
http://pnyoung.orpheusweb.co.uk
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2019-01-20 20:07:20 UTC
Post by Peter Young
Post by Mack A. Damia
"Rap Sheet"
Urban Dictionary tells me that "Rap" is an acronym for "Record of
Arrests and Prosecutions", but there is no other support for this
claim.
"He took the rap for the robbery."
My own thought is that it is related to a "rap on the knuckles".
Is the term, "rap", in the sense of criminal responsibility used in
the UK?
Yes, commonly.
Peter.
As here:
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/take_the_rap

take the rap
phrase
informal

Be punished or blamed, especially for something that is not one's
fault.
‘it didn't worry him if someone else took the rap for his
misdemeanours’
2019-01-20 18:19:15 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
"Rap Sheet"
Urban Dictionary tells me that "Rap" is an acronym for "Record of
Arrests and Prosecutions", but there is no other support for this
claim.
"He took the rap for the robbery."
My own thought is that it is related to a "rap on the knuckles".

I imagine you're right. The OED says "rap" has meant a rebuke since
1777 (which it compares to "rap on the knuckles"), a prison sentence
since 1870, and a criminal charge since 1903. All originally American.