since I was in the civil service
2019-01-20 08:47:20 UTC
1) I have been sleeping a lot better since I was in the civil service.

2) I have been sleeping a lot better since I lived in the civil service.

3) I have been sleeping a lot better since I have been in the civil service.

4) I have been sleeping a lot better since I have lived in the civil service.

Do all of the sentences mean that I started sleeping a lot better when
I joined the civil service?

Do '1' and '2' mean that I am not in the civil service any longer?

Gratefully,
Navi
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2019-01-20 08:53:20 UTC
1) I have been sleeping a lot better since I was in the civil service.
2) I have been sleeping a lot better since I lived in the civil service.
3) I have been sleeping a lot better since I have been in the civil service.
4) I have been sleeping a lot better since I have lived in the civil service.
Do all of the sentences mean that I started sleeping a lot better when
I joined the civil service?
Do '1' and '2' mean that I am not in the civil service any longer?
2 and 4 are crazy and mean nothing sensible.

1 and 3 are a bit better, but completely unclear.
Peter Young
2019-01-20 08:57:52 UTC
1) I have been sleeping a lot better since I was in the civil service.
2) I have been sleeping a lot better since I lived in the civil service.
3) I have been sleeping a lot better since I have been in the civil service.
4) I have been sleeping a lot better since I have lived in the civil service.
Do all of the sentences mean that I started sleeping a lot better when
I joined the civil service?
1 could mean that you slept better when in or out of the Civil Service. It
needs rephrasing. 3 makes this clearer. 2 and 4 don't make sense, unless
you lived in the office.
Post by a***@gmail.com
Do '1' and '2' mean that I am not in the civil service any longer?
Maybe for 1.

Peter.
(US equivalent: Certified Anesthesiologist) (AUE Au)
http://pnyoung.orpheusweb.co.uk
CDB
2019-01-20 12:42:09 UTC
1) I have been sleeping a lot better since I was in the civil
service.
2) I have been sleeping a lot better since I lived in the civil service.
3) I have been sleeping a lot better since I have been in the civil service.
4) I have been sleeping a lot better since I have lived in the civil service.
Do all of the sentences mean that I started sleeping a lot better
when I joined the civil service?
Do '1' and '2' mean that I am not in the civil service any longer?
How does a civil servant wink?

Opens one eye.
a***@gmail.com
2019-01-21 04:58:30 UTC
1) I have been sleeping a lot better since I was in the civil service.
2) I have been sleeping a lot better since I lived in the civil service.
3) I have been sleeping a lot better since I have been in the civil service.
4) I have been sleeping a lot better since I have lived in the civil service.
Do all of the sentences mean that I started sleeping a lot better
when I joined the civil service?
Do '1' and '2' mean that I am not in the civil service any longer?
How does a civil servant wink?
Opens one eye.
Thank you all very much,

My apologies. I really messed up this time. I changed horses mid-stream
and came up with nonsensical sentences. I wanted to write 'worked in the
civil service' and then decided to write 'lived in England' but changed only
half of what I had to change.

Sorry.

Gratefully,
Navi