Smuggling sandwiches into the EU
2021-01-12 07:18:50 UTC
I think it was Peter Moylan who first brought up the issue of
confiscation of sandwiches (with tomatoes?) across state borders in
Australia.

A BBC News story today reports:

"UK driver has ham sandwiches confiscated at Dutch border"

The report says that Under EU rules, travellers from outside the bloc
are banned from bringing in meat and dairy products. So, vegans amongst
you have nothing to fear.

The Dutch border police was reported as apologising for the confiscation
by saying:

"No, everything will be confiscated - welcome to the Brexit, sir. I'm
sorry."

Full story:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55622331
J. J. Lodder
2021-01-12 09:52:17 UTC
I think it was Peter Moylan who first brought up the issue of
confiscation of sandwiches (with tomatoes?) across state borders in
Australia.
"UK driver has ham sandwiches confiscated at Dutch border"
The report says that Under EU rules, travellers from outside the bloc
are banned from bringing in meat and dairy products. So, vegans amongst
you have nothing to fear.
The Dutch border police was reported as apologising for the confiscation
"No, everything will be confiscated - welcome to the Brexit, sir. I'm
sorry."
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55622331
That's one of the nasty surprises of politics:
sometimes you do get what you ask for,

Jan
Hibou
2021-01-12 10:04:28 UTC
The Dutch border police was reported as apologising for the confiscation
"No, everything will be confiscated - welcome to the Brexit, sir. I'm
sorry."
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55622331
sometimes you do get what you ask for,
The Dutch are being quite logical. December's ham sandwich is innocuous.
January's is clearly dangerous.
J. J. Lodder
2021-01-12 10:59:19 UTC
Post by Hibou
The Dutch border police was reported as apologising for the confiscation
"No, everything will be confiscated - welcome to the Brexit, sir. I'm
sorry."
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55622331
sometimes you do get what you ask for,
The Dutch are being quite logical.
And the EU. The Brits insisted on forcing a new rule:
If you have a cake you must eat it.

As I said, a case of 'you get what you vote for',

Jan
Hibou
2021-01-12 11:32:10 UTC
The Dutch are being quite logical. December's ham sandwich is innocuous. January's is clearly dangerous.
If you have a cake you must eat it.
As I said, a case of 'you get what you vote for',
"Rules are made for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men."

But if you think ham sandwiches really are a threat, then you must of
course confiscate them. ;-)
charles
2021-01-12 12:24:53 UTC
Post by Hibou
Post by J. J. Lodder
The Dutch are being quite logical. December's ham sandwich is innocuous. January's is clearly dangerous.
If you have a cake you must eat it.
As I said, a case of 'you get what you vote for',
"Rules are made for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men."
But if you think ham sandwiches really are a threat, then you must of
course confiscate them. ;-)
There was a case in the USA - a year or so back - when a woman was arrested
for bringing in a apple in her handbag. It was a leftover from the meal on
the plane. but she was charged with attempting to smuggle contraband. It's
not just an EU thing.
2021-01-12 12:32:59 UTC
Post by Hibou
The Dutch border police was reported as apologising for the confiscation
"No, everything will be confiscated - welcome to the Brexit, sir. I'm
sorry."
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55622331
sometimes you do get what you ask for,
The Dutch are being quite logical.
If you have a cake you must eat it.
Correction, the British rule was "You can have your cake *and* eat it".
However this variant seems more strict "If you have a sandwich, you must
eat it"
Kharma ham?
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2021-01-12 10:32:55 UTC
I think it was Peter Moylan who first brought up the issue of
confiscation of sandwiches (with tomatoes?) across state borders in
Australia.
"UK driver has ham sandwiches confiscated at Dutch border"
The report says that Under EU rules, travellers from outside the bloc
are banned from bringing in meat and dairy products. So, vegans amongst
you have nothing to fear.
The Dutch border police was reported as apologising for the confiscation
"No, everything will be confiscated - welcome to the Brexit, sir. I'm
sorry."
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55622331
sometimes you do get what you ask for,
In this case those of us most affected were not eligible to vote in the
referendum.
Athel -- British, living in France for 34 years
Hibou
2021-01-12 10:56:35 UTC
Midi à ta porte ? :-)
J. J. Lodder
2021-01-12 10:59:20 UTC
I think it was Peter Moylan who first brought up the issue of
confiscation of sandwiches (with tomatoes?) across state borders in
Australia.
"UK driver has ham sandwiches confiscated at Dutch border"
The report says that Under EU rules, travellers from outside the bloc
are banned from bringing in meat and dairy products. So, vegans amongst
you have nothing to fear.
The Dutch border police was reported as apologising for the confiscation
"No, everything will be confiscated - welcome to the Brexit, sir. I'm
sorry."
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55622331
sometimes you do get what you ask for,
In this case those of us most affected were not eligible to vote in the
referendum.
Why worry, you don't import sandwiches,

Jan
Paul Carmichael
2021-01-12 11:18:42 UTC
El 12/1/21 a las 11:32, Athel Cornish-Bowden escribió:

<brexit>
In this case those of us most affected were not eligible to vote in the referendum.
Es verdad.
--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio
occam
2021-01-12 12:36:44 UTC
<brexit>
No, es Jamon
Hibou
2021-01-12 10:56:32 UTC
sometimes you do get what you ask for,
And sometimes you get what you haven't asked for. We voted to join the
Common Market - or rather to remain in it - and ended up in the EU,
which is not the same thing at all.

That is the source of the problem.
J. J. Lodder
2021-01-12 11:03:10 UTC
Post by Hibou
Post by J. J. Lodder
sometimes you do get what you ask for,
And sometimes you get what you haven't asked for. We voted to join the
Common Market - or rather to remain in it - and ended up in the EU,
which is not the same thing at all.
That is the source of the problem.
Yes, yes, whining afterwards.
BTW, Brits didn't vote to lose that Empire either,
yet it happened,

Jan
Arindam Banerjee
Hibou
2021-01-12 11:30:48 UTC
Post by Hibou
Post by J. J. Lodder
sometimes you do get what you ask for,
And sometimes you get what you haven't asked for. We voted to join the
Common Market - or rather to remain in it - and ended up in the EU,
which is not the same thing at all.
That is the source of the problem.
Yes, yes, whining afterwards. [...]
Who's whining? I was stating what I believe to be a fact.

If you don't like the sound we make, then you'll be pleased we've left.
Mark Brader
2021-01-12 10:36:44 UTC
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55622331
I've heard of it happening that customs officers, on seeing that the
traveler has a food item not legal for importation, give the option of
eating it on the spot. I forget *where* I read about this happening,
but it seems an appropriate choice in this case.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "The brain is amazing when it's amazing, with
***@vex.net | apologies to Robert Biddle." --Steve Summit

Paul Carmichael
2021-01-12 11:20:57 UTC
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55622331
I've heard of it happening that customs officers, on seeing that the
traveler has a food item not legal for importation, give the option of
eating it on the spot. I forget *where* I read about this happening,
but it seems an appropriate choice in this case.
If you smuggle drugs inside your body, you get into trouble.
--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio
charles
2021-01-12 11:48:28 UTC
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55622331
I've heard of it happening that customs officers, on seeing that the
traveler has a food item not legal for importation, give the option of
eating it on the spot. I forget *where* I read about this happening,
but it seems an appropriate choice in this case.
A great many years ago (early 1970s) I was on a stand at an international
exhibition in Montreux, Switzerland,. Friends who had bought 1 litre
bottles of spirits on the channel ferry had to pour half of it out at the
roadside - Switzerland only allowed ½ litre of duty free at the time.
2021-01-12 12:38:11 UTC
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55622331
I've heard of it happening that customs officers, on seeing that the
traveler has a food item not legal for importation, give the option
of eating it on the spot. I forget *where* I read about this
happening, but it seems an appropriate choice in this case.
That's exactly what happened to me, when crossing the border from New
South Wales into Victoria. I had bought sandwiches just before hitting
the border, and because tomatoes were prohibited imports I had to sit
and eat my sandwiches at the border post.

Today there is no checkpoint - it would interrupt the freeway traffic -
but there are signs alongside the road saying that you have to put your
fruit in the next roadside garbage bin.

Oh, sorry, wait: there is a checkpoint again, but for a different
reason. For reasons of covidity a permit is now required to cross the
border. I would be able to get a permit, but people from Sydney, south
of Newcastle, are banned.
--
Peter Moylan Newcastle, NSW