Post by email@example.com
1) I remember back going there.
2) I remember back to going there.
3) I remember back to when I was four.
Are these grammatical?
Are they idiomatic?
If yes, then how do '1' and '2' differ from: 'I remember going there.'?
And does '3' mean that that is as far back as my memory goes?
1) doesn't work at all.
2) doesn't work much better; I'm struggling to invent a context.
3) is OK, assuming it's part of a context in which, for instance, it's
followed by "and my teddy bear was eaten by next door's dog"; or in
which someone else say "I can't remember anything before my sixth
birthday party" and you reply "Oh, I remember back to when I was four."