more of a
Add Reply
arthurvv vart
2021-03-30 00:55:06 UTC
1) This movie is more a comedy than anything else.
2) This movie is more of a comedy than anything else.

3) This movie is more a comedy than a thriller.
4) This movie is more of a comedy than a thriller.

Which are grammatical?
Which are idiomatic?

Is there a difference between the meanings of '1' and '2'?
Is there a difference between the meanings of '3' and '4'?

Gratefully,
Navi
Eric Walker
2021-03-30 01:08:17 UTC
Post by arthurvv vart
1) This movie is more a comedy than anything else.
2) This movie is more of a comedy than anything else.
3) This movie is more a comedy than a thriller.
4) This movie is more of a comedy than a thriller.
Which are grammatical?
Which are idiomatic?
Is there a difference between the meanings of '1' and '2'?
Is there a difference between the meanings of '3' and '4'?
I would take (1) to be elliptical for (2), and the same for (3) and (4).

All seem to me unexceptionable.
--
Cordially,
Eric Walker
arthurvv vart
2021-03-30 01:40:49 UTC
Post by Eric Walker
Post by arthurvv vart
1) This movie is more a comedy than anything else.
2) This movie is more of a comedy than anything else.
3) This movie is more a comedy than a thriller.
4) This movie is more of a comedy than a thriller.
Which are grammatical?
Which are idiomatic?
Is there a difference between the meanings of '1' and '2'?
Is there a difference between the meanings of '3' and '4'?
I would take (1) to be elliptical for (2), and the same for (3) and (4).
All seem to me unexceptionable.
--
Cordially,
Eric Walker
Thank you very much, Eric, for all your kind replies,

Interesting. I thought that would be the case, but it seems to me that the versions with 'of' won't work in the plural but the versions without it would.

5) These movies are more comedies than anything else.
6) These movies are more of comedies than anything else.

7) These movies are more comedies than thrillers.
8) These movies are more of comedies than thrillers.

I think '5' and '7' work but '6' and '6' don't.

I suppose:

5a) These movies are comedies more than anything else.
7a) These movies are comedies more than thrillers.

Would be even better than '5' and '7'.

Am I correct?
As usual, I am not at all sure of what I am affirming! If I were, I wouldn't be asking the question!

Gratefully,
Navi
David Kleinecke
2021-04-02 08:38:06 UTC
Post by Eric Walker
Post by arthurvv vart
1) This movie is more a comedy than anything else.
2) This movie is more of a comedy than anything else.
3) This movie is more a comedy than a thriller.
4) This movie is more of a comedy than a thriller.
Which are grammatical?
Which are idiomatic?
Is there a difference between the meanings of '1' and '2'?
Is there a difference between the meanings of '3' and '4'?
I would take (1) to be elliptical for (2), and the same for (3) and (4).
All seem to me unexceptionable.
"This movie is more a comedy than a thriller." is deep down "This movie
is a comedy. Further up an adjunct has been added to either "a comedy"
or "is" as in "This movie is mostly a comedy." But the adjunct is a split
phrase "more (of) X than Y". Surely, at least historically, "More of X than
of Y" which I see as a variant of "more X than Y".

So perhaps better "This movie is more comedy than thriller."

As in "Hardwick Hall, more glass than wall."