see falling in love
2020-02-15 09:33:24 UTC
1) Planes are sexy. I can see falling in love with one.

Source:

From 4:12 to 4:18

Is '1' grammatical?
Is it idiomatic?

Does it mean:
a) I can see myself falling in love with one.
or:
b) I can see people falling in love with one.

Gratefully,
Navi
Katy Jennison
2020-02-15 09:40:11 UTC
1) Planes are sexy. I can see falling in love with one.
http://youtu.be/fHZMj5PXyBE
From 4:12 to 4:18
Is '1' grammatical?
Is it idiomatic?
a) I can see myself falling in love with one.
b) I can see people falling in love with one.
Either. Same as " I can understand ...". Conext might disambiguate.
2020-02-15 10:20:24 UTC
1) Planes are sexy. I can see falling in love with one.
http://youtu.be/fHZMj5PXyBE
 From 4:12 to 4:18
Is '1' grammatical?
Is it idiomatic?
a) I can see myself falling in love with one.
b) I can see people falling in love with one.
Either.  Same as " I can understand ...".  Conext might disambiguate.
Oh, dear. 'Context'.
2020-02-15 15:40:13 UTC
1) Planes are sexy. I can see falling in love with one.
http://youtu.be/fHZMj5PXyBE
From 4:12 to 4:18
Is '1' grammatical?
Is it idiomatic?
a) I can see myself falling in love with one.
yes
Post by a***@gmail.com
b) I can see people falling in love with one.
I suppose it might if there was a heck of a lot of context to justify
that interpretation. [NB not "were"]
David Kleinecke
2020-02-15 17:56:22 UTC
1) Planes are sexy. I can see falling in love with one.
http://youtu.be/fHZMj5PXyBE
From 4:12 to 4:18
Is '1' grammatical?
Is it idiomatic?
Post by a***@gmail.com
b) I can see people falling in love with one.
I suppose it might if there was a heck of a lot of context to justify
that interpretation. [NB not "were"]
I don't make that was/were distinction (which implies people in
twentieth century California didn't either).

I would use "were" with every "if". But I could be pulled out of
line by some one else speaking to me and echo a "was".
a***@gmail.com
2020-02-15 21:31:55 UTC
1) Planes are sexy. I can see falling in love with one.
http://youtu.be/fHZMj5PXyBE
From 4:12 to 4:18
Is '1' grammatical?
Is it idiomatic?
Post by a***@gmail.com
b) I can see people falling in love with one.
I suppose it might if there was a heck of a lot of context to justify
that interpretation. [NB not "were"]
Thank you all very much for all your replies,

Peter, does the choice between 'was' or 'were' entail a difference in meaning?
It seems to me that 'were' implies a higher degree of improbability. Is that
correct?

Gratefully,
Navi
Jerry Friedman
2020-02-15 22:10:40 UTC
1) Planes are sexy. I can see falling in love with one.
http://youtu.be/fHZMj5PXyBE
From 4:12 to 4:18
Is '1' grammatical?
Is it idiomatic?
Post by a***@gmail.com
b) I can see people falling in love with one.
I suppose it might if there was a heck of a lot of context to justify
that interpretation. [NB not "were"]
Thank you all very much for all your replies,
Peter, does the choice between 'was' or 'were' entail a difference in meaning?
It seems to me that 'were' implies a higher degree of improbability. Is that
correct?
Not to answer for Peter, but in my English "were" implies impossibility.
2020-02-15 22:11:20 UTC
On Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 4:33:27 AM UTC-5,
Post by a***@gmail.com
1) Planes are sexy. I can see falling in love with one.
http://youtu.be/fHZMj5PXyBE
 From 4:12 to 4:18
Is '1' grammatical?
Is it idiomatic?
Post by a***@gmail.com
b) I can see people falling in love with one.
I suppose it might if there was a heck of a lot of context to justify
that interpretation. [NB not "were"]
Thank you all very much for all your replies,
Peter, does the choice between 'was' or 'were' entail a difference in meaning?
It seems to me that 'were' implies a higher degree of improbability. Is that
correct?
Not to answer for Peter, but in my English "were" implies impossibility.
Well, not impossibility, just that it wasn't like that.
Counterfactuality, irrealis.
2020-02-16 19:32:00 UTC
1) Planes are sexy. I can see falling in love with one.
http://youtu.be/fHZMj5PXyBE
From 4:12 to 4:18
Is '1' grammatical?
Is it idiomatic?
Post by a***@gmail.com
b) I can see people falling in love with one.
I suppose it might if there was a heck of a lot of context to justify
that interpretation. [NB not "were"]
Thank you all very much for all your replies,
Peter, does the choice between 'was' or 'were' entail a difference in meaning?
It seems to me that 'were' implies a higher degree of improbability. Is that
correct?
Not to answer for Peter, but in my English "were" implies impossibility.
In mine too.
2020-02-15 23:00:27 UTC
1) Planes are sexy. I can see falling in love with one.
http://youtu.be/fHZMj5PXyBE
From 4:12 to 4:18
Is '1' grammatical?
Is it idiomatic?
Post by a***@gmail.com
b) I can see people falling in love with one.
I suppose it might if there was a heck of a lot of context to justify
that interpretation. [NB not "were"]
Thank you all very much for all your replies,
Peter, does the choice between 'was' or 'were' entail a difference in meaning?
It seems to me that 'were' implies a higher degree of improbability. Is that
correct?
"was" -- the context existed.

"were" -- it wouldn't even be possible for context to have existed.
CDB
2020-02-16 22:55:56 UTC
1) Planes are sexy. I can see falling in love with one.
http://youtu.be/fHZMj5PXyBE
From 4:12 to 4:18
Post by a***@gmail.com
or: b) I can see people falling in love with one.
I suppose it might if there was a heck of a lot of context to
justify that interpretation. [NB not "were"]
Thank you all very much for all your replies,
Peter, does the choice between 'was' or 'were' entail a difference in
meaning? It seems to me that 'were' implies a higher degree of
improbability. Is that correct?
It seems to me that this "was" is an example of the common use of the
past indicative where the irrrealis past subjunctive "were" would be
preferred by a minority. I sometimes do that myself in speech, but not
(deliberately) in writing.

In formal writing I think that, if the indicative were intended, the
verb in the main clause would be "might have [meant]".
Peter T. Daniels
2020-02-17 14:43:24 UTC
1) Planes are sexy. I can see falling in love with one.
http://youtu.be/fHZMj5PXyBE
From 4:12 to 4:18
Post by a***@gmail.com
or: b) I can see people falling in love with one.
I suppose it might if there was a heck of a lot of context to
justify that interpretation. [NB not "were"]
Thank you all very much for all your replies,
Peter, does the choice between 'was' or 'were' entail a difference in
meaning? It seems to me that 'were' implies a higher degree of
improbability. Is that correct?
It seems to me that this "was" is an example of the common use of the
past indicative where the irrrealis past subjunctive "were" would be
preferred by a minority. I sometimes do that myself in speech, but not
(deliberately) in writing.
I'm a subjunctive-user, which is why I pointed out that I did not
intend a subjunctive form, and then explained why the situation
didn't call for a subjunctive.
Post by CDB
In formal writing I think that, if the indicative were intended, the
verb in the main clause would be "might have [meant]".
No; the question was "Does it mean ...?" not "Did it mean ...?" If
arthur-Navi had asked "Did it mean ...?" I would have answered "It
might have (meant) ..., if ...." But "Did it mean ...?" would be an
odd thing to ask -- as if its meaning might have changed since.

Jerry Friedman
2020-02-15 19:35:35 UTC
1) Planes are sexy. I can see falling in love with one.
http://youtu.be/fHZMj5PXyBE
From 4:12 to 4:18
Is '1' grammatical?
Is it idiomatic?
a) I can see myself falling in love with one.
b) I can see people falling in love with one.
Either. (I haven't watched the video.)

Wise men say
Only fools rush in,
So I can't see falling in love with you.
2020-02-16 00:54:44 UTC
Wise men say
Only fools rush in,
So I can't see falling in love with you.
Or, going back to the song from which the tune was plagiarised,

Wise men say
Only fools rush in.
Chagrin d'amour dure toute la vie.