A 14th-15th London accent demonstrated on YouTube
2021-01-29 10:58:51 UTC
A 14th-15th London accent demonstrated on YouTube

I have no way to tell whether to consider this a good reconstruction.
occam
2021-01-29 12:27:56 UTC
Post by Dingbat
A 14th-15th London accent demonstrated on YouTube
http://youtu.be/3lXv3Tt4x20
I have no way to tell whether to consider this a good reconstruction.
Interesting link! The same guy (Simon Roper) has another video titled
"How we Know what Old English Sounded Like". It tries to explain a
'triangulation' method of best-guessing pronunciations.

More interesting to me is his video on:

"How Much did English Speakers Swear in the Past?"

It's an interesting take of the role of 'cunt' 'shit' and 'fuck' in old
English.
Sam Plusnet
2021-01-29 19:49:22 UTC
http://youtu.be/ARgGguQlQ0w
It's an interesting take of the role of 'cunt' 'shit' and 'fuck' in old
English.
There was no mention of how the use of swear words is influenced by the
situation. You would need to take that into account when discussing the
extent of swearing in earlier times.
Even today people might "swear like a trooper" in everyday life, but
avoid all swearing during... job interviews, talking to an elderly aunt etc.
Wales, UK
Peter T. Daniels
2021-01-29 20:23:32 UTC
Post by Dingbat
A 14th-15th London accent demonstrated on YouTube
http://youtu.be/3lXv3Tt4x20
I have no way to tell whether to consider this a good reconstruction.
Interesting link! The same guy (Simon Roper) has another video titled
"How we Know what Old English Sounded Like". It tries to explain a
'triangulation' method of best-guessing pronunciations.
"How Much did English Speakers Swear in the Past?"
http://youtu.be/ARgGguQlQ0w
It's an interesting take of the role of 'cunt' 'shit' and 'fuck' in old
English.
There was no mention of how the use of swear words is influenced by the
situation. You would need to take that into account when discussing the
extent of swearing in earlier times.
Even today people might "swear like a trooper" in everyday life, but
avoid all swearing during... job interviews, talking to an elderly aunt etc.
Are "cunt," "shit," and "fuck" considered "swearing"?

They are "obscenity."
Ken Blake
2021-01-30 14:51:42 UTC
Even today people might "swear like a trooper" in everyday life, but
avoid all swearing during... job interviews, talking to an elderly aunt etc.
Maybe that's your fucking opinion, but since I've been retired and never
do job interviews and have no living aunts, elderly or otherwise, I
swear like a trooper any time i want to.

(Just a joke, not meant to be insulting,)
2021-01-30 19:06:39 UTC
Even today people might "swear like a trooper" in everyday life, but
avoid all swearing during... job interviews, talking to an elderly aunt etc.
Maybe that's your fucking opinion, but since I've been retired and never
do job interviews and have no living aunts, elderly or otherwise, I
swear like a trooper any time i want to.
(Just a joke, not meant to be insulting,)
I wonder if a class action lawsuit by well-spoken members of the armed
services could succeed?
Wales, UK
Quinn C
2021-01-31 20:21:50 UTC
Even today people might "swear like a trooper" in everyday life, but
avoid all swearing during... job interviews, talking to an elderly aunt etc.
Maybe that's your fucking opinion, but since I've been retired and never
do job interviews and have no living aunts, elderly or otherwise, I
swear like a trooper any time i want to.
(Just a joke, not meant to be insulting,)
I wonder if a class action lawsuit by well-spoken members of the armed
services could succeed?
Or a member of the merchant marine?

If I should choose a profession from among personal acquaintances, I'd
say "swear like a (British) dendrologist".
--
It gets hot in Raleigh, but Texas! I don't know why anybody
lives here, honestly.
-- Robert C. Wilson, Vortex (novel), p.220
Sam Plusnet
2021-02-01 01:37:18 UTC
Even today people might "swear like a trooper" in everyday life, but
avoid all swearing during... job interviews, talking to an elderly aunt etc.
Maybe that's your fucking opinion, but since I've been retired and never
do job interviews and have no living aunts, elderly or otherwise, I
swear like a trooper any time i want to.
(Just a joke, not meant to be insulting,)
I wonder if a class action lawsuit by well-spoken members of the armed
services could succeed?
Or a member of the merchant marine?
If I should choose a profession from among personal acquaintances, I'd
say "swear like a (British) dendrologist".
His bark is, no doubt, worse than his bite, but it might be best to leaf
him alone.
Wales, UK
Quinn C
2021-02-01 17:18:09 UTC
Even today people might "swear like a trooper" in everyday life, but
avoid all swearing during... job interviews, talking to an elderly aunt etc.
Maybe that's your fucking opinion, but since I've been retired and never
do job interviews and have no living aunts, elderly or otherwise, I
swear like a trooper any time i want to.
(Just a joke, not meant to be insulting,)
I wonder if a class action lawsuit by well-spoken members of the armed
services could succeed?
Or a member of the merchant marine?
If I should choose a profession from among personal acquaintances, I'd
say "swear like a (British) dendrologist".
His bark is, no doubt, worse than his bite, but it might be best to leaf
him alone.
I suspect he might be quite sappy on the inside, and just uses pithy
insults as a protective layer.
Oh Sam! You're so funny and insensitive! -- Cat
J. J. Lodder
2021-02-01 09:40:38 UTC
Even today people might "swear like a trooper" in everyday life, but
avoid all swearing during... job interviews, talking to an elderly aunt etc.
Maybe that's your fucking opinion, but since I've been retired and never
do job interviews and have no living aunts, elderly or otherwise, I
swear like a trooper any time i want to.
(Just a joke, not meant to be insulting,)
I wonder if a class action lawsuit by well-spoken members of the armed
services could succeed?
Or a member of the merchant marine?
If I should choose a profession from among personal acquaintances, I'd
say "swear like a (British) dendrologist".
He would be better at it than Captain Haddock?

2021-02-01 17:18:09 UTC
Even today people might "swear like a trooper" in everyday life, but
avoid all swearing during... job interviews, talking to an elderly aunt etc.
Maybe that's your fucking opinion, but since I've been retired and never
do job interviews and have no living aunts, elderly or otherwise, I
swear like a trooper any time i want to.
(Just a joke, not meant to be insulting,)
I wonder if a class action lawsuit by well-spoken members of the armed
services could succeed?
Or a member of the merchant marine?
If I should choose a profession from among personal acquaintances, I'd
say "swear like a (British) dendrologist".
He would be better at it than Captain Haddock?
Unlike you (it seems), I didn't have the honor of being personally
introduced to the Cptn.
My pronouns are they/them
(or other gender-neutral ones)
J. J. Lodder
2021-02-01 22:15:44 UTC
Even today people might "swear like a trooper" in everyday life, but
avoid all swearing during... job interviews, talking to an elderly aunt etc.
Maybe that's your fucking opinion, but since I've been retired and never
do job interviews and have no living aunts, elderly or otherwise, I
swear like a trooper any time i want to.
(Just a joke, not meant to be insulting,)
I wonder if a class action lawsuit by well-spoken members of the armed
services could succeed?
Or a member of the merchant marine?
If I should choose a profession from among personal acquaintances, I'd
say "swear like a (British) dendrologist".
He would be better at it than Captain Haddock?
Unlike you (it seems), I didn't have the honor of being personally
introduced to the Cptn.
I haven't had that pleasure,
but there is an anthology with his complete works,
(but perhaps not in English)

2021-01-30 22:32:33 UTC
Even today people might "swear like a trooper" in everyday life,
but avoid all swearing during... job interviews, talking to an
elderly aunt etc.
Maybe that's your fucking opinion, but since I've been retired and
never do job interviews and have no living aunts, elderly or
otherwise, I swear like a trooper any time i want to.
(Just a joke, not meant to be insulting,)
Last night I was watching a bunch of stand-up comedians, in TV coverage
of a comedy festival. I like that sort of comedy, but I get awfully sick
of the comedians' over-use of taboo language.

It doesn't offend me. Not in that way. But it gets awfully boring.
Peter Moylan Newcastle, NSW
occam
2021-01-31 09:38:55 UTC
Even today people might "swear like a trooper" in everyday life,
but avoid all swearing during... job interviews, talking to an
elderly aunt etc.
Maybe that's your fucking opinion, but since I've been retired and
never do job interviews and have no living aunts, elderly or
otherwise, I swear like a trooper any time i want to.
(Just a joke, not meant to be insulting,)
Last night I was watching a bunch of stand-up comedians, in TV coverage
of a comedy festival. I like that sort of comedy, but I get awfully sick
of the comedians' over-use of taboo language.
It doesn't offend me. Not in that way. But it gets awfully boring.
Sometimes, the good ones come up with some very funny imagery.

Frankie Boyle, one of the most foul-mouthed of Scottish comedians came
up with this:

"The Queen [ER II] is so old that her pussy is haunted"

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2009/oct/19/frankie-boyle-mock-the-week

(I may be wrong, but I remember an alternative word for 'pussy' when I
first heard it.)
Peter Moylan
2021-01-31 10:38:52 UTC
[...]
That's perfectly OK with me. If the word is appropriate to the joke,
then by all means use it. What I object to is the use of unnecessary
words for their shock value. Especially since we stopped being shocked
years ago. They've lost their joke value.

I do accept the use of such words when they clearly belong to the
dialect being used. Billy Connolly, for example, grew up with shipyard
language, and it's in character for him to keep using it.
Peter Moylan Newcastle, NSW
Ken Blake
2021-01-31 14:28:48 UTC
Even today people might "swear like a trooper" in everyday life,
but avoid all swearing during... job interviews, talking to an
elderly aunt etc.
Maybe that's your fucking opinion, but since I've been retired and
never do job interviews and have no living aunts, elderly or
otherwise, I swear like a trooper any time i want to.
(Just a joke, not meant to be insulting,)
Last night I was watching a bunch of stand-up comedians, in TV coverage
of a comedy festival. I like that sort of comedy, but I get awfully sick
of the comedians' over-use of taboo language.
It doesn't offend me. Not in that way. But it gets awfully boring.
OK, I'll try not to do it too often.
2021-01-31 21:42:07 UTC
Even today people might "swear like a trooper" in everyday life,
but avoid all swearing during... job interviews, talking to an
elderly aunt etc.
Maybe that's your fucking opinion, but since I've been retired and
never do job interviews and have no living aunts, elderly or
otherwise, I swear like a trooper any time i want to.
(Just a joke, not meant to be insulting,)
Last night I was watching a bunch of stand-up comedians, in TV coverage
of a comedy festival. I like that sort of comedy, but I get awfully sick
of the comedians' over-use of taboo language.
It doesn't offend me. Not in that way. But it gets awfully boring.
OK, I'll try not to do it too often.
Well, you pulled your punches up above.

[alt] Maybe that's your fucking opinion, but since I fucking retired
[alt] and never do shit like job interviews and have no pissing aunts,
[alt] bloody elderly or otherfuckingwise,
[alt] I swear like a fucking trooper any fucking time I fucking want.

But happiness cannot be pursued; it must ensue. One must have a reason
to 'be happy.'"
Viktor Frankl
Lewis
2021-01-31 22:08:08 UTC
Post by Snidely
[...]
You left out motherfucker, cunt, cocksucker, asshole, and
shit-for-brains. Are you even trying?
--
Boy meets up with a failed priest and an outlaw and murders 2 million in
a terrorist attack.
(Star Wars).
Snidely
2021-02-01 09:29:46 UTC
On Sunday, Lewis pointed out that ...
Post by Lewis
Post by Snidely
[...]
I'm a shit-for-brains novice.

"Inviting people to laugh with you while you are laughing at yourself
is a good thing to do, You may be a fool but you're the fool in
charge." -- Carl Reiner
Kerr-Mudd,John
2021-02-01 14:40:19 UTC
Post by Snidely
[...]
Actually I thought of sending something like that, but I decided to save
myself the extra typing and didn't.
2021-01-29 22:49:07 UTC
Post by Dingbat
A 14th-15th London accent demonstrated on YouTube
http://youtu.be/3lXv3Tt4x20
I couldn't name the first 13 ...

Yeah, I guessed that "century" was missing even from the Subject line.
--
We say, 'If any lady or gentleman shall buy this article _____ shall
have it for five dollars.' The blank may be filled with he, she, it,