Lickspittle
2021-05-01 15:00:08 UTC
I was re-listening to the testimony of George Galloway to the US Senate
subcommittee (*), and its preamble.

Galloway said of his inquisitors:
"... were "crazed","neocons" "pro-war" "lickspittles" of the president,
and ... "I want to put these people on trial".

I was struck by the word 'lickspittle'. Some synonyms: bootlicker,
brownnoser, fawner, flunky (also flunkey or flunkie), suck-up,
sycophant, toady, arselicker et c.

Such a pity it is not in more common use.

(*)

(It's 48 minutes long, but worth the effort.)
Pamela
2021-05-01 16:35:53 UTC
I was re-listening to the testimony of George Galloway to the US
Senate subcommittee (*), and its preamble.
Galloway said of his inquisitors: "... were "crazed","neocons"
"pro-war" "lickspittles" of the president, and ... "I want to put
these people on trial".
I was struck by the word 'lickspittle'. Some synonyms: bootlicker,
brownnoser, fawner, flunky (also flunkey or flunkie), suck-up,
sycophant, toady, arselicker et c.
Such a pity it is not in more common use.
(*) http://youtu.be/j5u1skEoqLs (It's 48 minutes
long, but worth the effort.)
I don't much like Galloway but his testimony before the Senate given
in smooth Scottish brogue has moments of lovely oratory. I like his
delivery without too much reliance on notes

At the time I recall Galloway was taking a risk appearing on American
soil as he could have been apprehended.

A Senate report of this testimony dated 25 Oct 2005 makes for
interesting reading.

Of course Galloway purring like a cat in the Big Brother house is
something else entirely!
occam
2021-05-01 19:23:41 UTC
Post by Pamela
Post by occam
[...]
I have never seen Big Brother, or his appearance in it. But I agree with
your assessment of his oratory. He practically demolished the two
senators' prepared case against him. I may not always agree with his
politics, but he is a formidable character.
Pamela
2021-05-01 19:40:04 UTC
Post by Pamela
Post by occam
[...]
Galloway was certainly the winner that day in the Senate but he wasn't
so impressive in the Big Brother house with Rula Lenska.

Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2021-05-02 15:05:48 UTC
On Sat, 01 May 2021 20:40:04 +0100, Pamela
Post by Pamela
Post by occam
Post by Pamela
Post by occam
[...]
http://youtu.be/x8jqr3KuUXs
I saw that at the time, almost certainly on the live feed.

I was annoyed by some of the comments afterwards by journalists. They
ignored, or didn't know, the fact that Rula Lenska and George Galloway
were undertaking a task assigned to them by "Big Brother".

In my opinion it was a surprisingly good piece of improvisation by both
of them.

This article recalling the event was published 13 years later:
https://www.joe.co.uk/entertainment/remembering-the-time-george-galloway-pretended-to-be-a-cat-on-national-tv-238264