New Year's
Add Reply
Yurui Liu
2019-11-02 02:29:24 UTC
Hi,

What does New Year's refer to? New Year's Eve or New Year's Day?
Is it a holiday?

I'd appreciate your help.
Tony Cooper
2019-11-02 02:55:57 UTC
On Fri, 1 Nov 2019 19:29:24 -0700 (PDT), Yurui Liu
Post by Yurui Liu
Hi,
What does New Year's refer to? New Year's Eve or New Year's Day?
Is it a holiday?
I'd appreciate your help.
We don't often refer to "New Year's" in the US unless we are referring
to both. Otherwise, we say "New Year's Eve" or "New Year's Day".

New Year's Day is an official holiday in the US. New Year's Eve is
not, but it's part of a day and holidays are complete days.
2019-11-02 07:13:55 UTC
Post by Yurui Liu
Hi,
What does New Year's refer to? New Year's Eve or New Year's Day?
Is it a holiday?
I'd appreciate your help.
We don't often refer to "New Year's" in the US unless we are referring
to both. Otherwise, we say "New Year's Eve" or "New Year's Day".
New Year's Day is an official holiday in the US. New Year's Eve is
not, but it's part of a day and holidays are complete days.
New Year's Eve also lasts for a whole day.
2019-11-02 09:02:16 UTC
Post by Yurui Liu
What does New Year's refer to? New Year's Eve or New Year's Day?
Is it a holiday?
We don't often refer to "New Year's" in the US unless we are referring
to both. Otherwise, we say "New Year's Eve" or "New Year's Day".
New Year's Day is an official holiday in the US.
Likewise here in Canada.
New Year's Eve is not [a holiday], but it's part of a day and holidays
are complete days.
New Year's Eve also lasts for a whole day.
I agree with Peter.
--
Mark Brader | "I will be speaking today about work in progress,
Toronto | instead of completed research; this was not my
charles
2019-11-02 08:59:55 UTC
Post by Yurui Liu
Hi,
What does New Year's refer to? New Year's Eve or New Year's Day?
Is it a holiday?
I'd appreciate your help.
We don't often refer to "New Year's" in the US unless we are referring
to both. Otherwise, we say "New Year's Eve" or "New Year's Day".
New Year's Day is an official holiday in the US. New Year's Eve is
not, but it's part of a day and holidays are complete days.
New Year's Eve also lasts for a whole day.
and well into the following day, This is why Scotland has public holidays
on 1st and 2nd of January.
2019-11-02 13:44:31 UTC
On Sat, 2 Nov 2019 18:13:55 +1100, Peter Moylan
Post by Yurui Liu
Hi,
What does New Year's refer to? New Year's Eve or New Year's Day?
Is it a holiday?
I'd appreciate your help.
We don't often refer to "New Year's" in the US unless we are referring
to both. Otherwise, we say "New Year's Eve" or "New Year's Day".
New Year's Day is an official holiday in the US. New Year's Eve is
not, but it's part of a day and holidays are complete days.
New Year's Eve also lasts for a whole day.
You may consider it to be New Year's Eve at 9:00 AM on December 31st,
but it's not an official holiday in the US.
2019-11-02 21:12:46 UTC
Post by Yurui Liu
Hi,
What does New Year's refer to? New Year's Eve or New Year's
Day? Is it a holiday?
I'd appreciate your help.
We don't often refer to "New Year's" in the US unless we are
referring to both. Otherwise, we say "New Year's Eve" or "New
Year's Day".
New Year's Day is an official holiday in the US. New Year's Eve
is not, but it's part of a day and holidays are complete days.
New Year's Eve also lasts for a whole day.
Granted that some people use the term that way, others will use it
just to refer to the evening before New Year's day.
That's New Year's Eve evening. The "Eve" of a holiday always means the
full 24 hours of the day before.

Tony's point - that it's not an official holiday - doesn't change the
meaning of "Eve".

Christmas Eve is not an official holiday in many places, but it's still
defined to be the entirety of the 24th of December.
2019-11-02 21:43:23 UTC
New Year's Day is an official holiday in the US.  New Year's Eve
is not, but it's part of a day and holidays are complete days.
New Year's Eve also lasts for a whole day.
Granted that some people use the term that way, others will use it
just to refer to the evening before New Year's day.
That's New Year's Eve evening. The "Eve" of a holiday always means the
full 24 hours of the day before.
Tony's point - that it's not an official holiday - doesn't change the
meaning of "Eve".
Christmas Eve is not an official holiday in many places, but it's still
defined to be the entirety of the 24th of December.
In my English, Dec. 24 is Christmas Eve Day. Christmas Eve starts
around when it gets dark (or at dinner time, in the Southern Hemisphere).

AHD defines "eve" as

"1. The evening or day preceding a special day, such as a holiday."

However, the evening of Dec. 23 is Erev Christmas Eve.
2019-11-02 21:51:48 UTC
New Year's Day is an official holiday in the US.  New Year's Eve
is not, but it's part of a day and holidays are complete days.
New Year's Eve also lasts for a whole day.
Granted that some people use the term that way, others will use it
just to refer to the evening before New Year's day.
That's New Year's Eve evening. The "Eve" of a holiday always means the
full 24 hours of the day before.
Tony's point - that it's not an official holiday - doesn't change the
meaning of "Eve".
Christmas Eve is not an official holiday in many places, but it's still
defined to be the entirety of the 24th of December.
In my English, Dec. 24 is Christmas Eve Day.  Christmas Eve starts
around when it gets dark (or at dinner time, in the Southern Hemisphere).
AHD defines "eve" as
"1. The evening or day preceding a special day, such as a holiday."
I'm with Peter Moylan here -- 'the whole day' the normal BrE usage.
2019-11-02 22:31:44 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
[...]
It's starting to look as if "eve" has different meanings in different
countries. I wasn't aware of that.
b***@shaw.ca
2019-11-03 00:26:58 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
[...]
When you invite people over for Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve,
when do you expect them to arrive? For me, the question is
whether they come before or after dinner, but definitely not
for the whole day, unless that was specified in the invitation.

2019-11-03 00:27:53 UTC
On Sat, 2 Nov 2019 21:51:48 +0000, Katy Jennison
Post by Katy Jennison
[...]
Would you use it that way, though? Would you say you are going over
to the Smith's on New Year's Eve with the meaning that you will get
there during the day?
2019-11-02 21:58:44 UTC
On Sun, 3 Nov 2019 08:12:46 +1100, Peter Moylan
Post by Yurui Liu
[...]
Although the OED says:

"Christmas-eve: The evening before Christmas day."

No mention of the entire day before Christmas, so where does it come
from? Got to be "carelessness".
HVS
2019-11-02 22:58:07 UTC
Post by Yurui Liu
[...]
I'm sure I've heard "Christmas Eve day" and "New Year's Eve day" for
the days in question; can't recall where or when, though.

Cheers, Harvey
Peter T. Daniels
2019-11-02 23:19:05 UTC
Post by Peter Moylan
defined to be the entirety of the 24th of December.
I'm sure I've heard "Christmas Eve day" and "New Year's Eve day" for
the days in question; can't recall where or when, though.
"They're letting us go home early on New Year's Eve day" seems like it
ought to be fairly common.
Tony Cooper
2019-11-03 00:26:06 UTC
Post by Yurui Liu
Hi,
What does New Year's refer to? New Year's Eve or New Year's
Day? Is it a holiday?
I'd appreciate your help.
We don't often refer to "New Year's" in the US unless we are
referring to both. Otherwise, we say "New Year's Eve" or "New
Year's Day".
New Year's Day is an official holiday in the US. New Year's Eve
is not, but it's part of a day and holidays are complete days.
New Year's Eve also lasts for a whole day.
Granted that some people use the term that way, others will use it
just to refer to the evening before New Year's day.
That's New Year's Eve evening. The "Eve" of a holiday always means the
full 24 hours of the day before.
True, but the answer to the question "What are you doing for New
Year's Eve?" is not asking what you will be doing for lunch that day.
It is generally understood the question pertains to the evening hours.
Post by Peter Moylan
Tony's point - that it's not an official holiday - doesn't change the
meaning of "Eve".
True, but the official meaning of "Eve" doesn't make the day a
holiday. A business that is closed on official holidays will not be
closed on December 31st unless the management decides that they might
as well close because fewer customers will show up and the employees
will call in sick. The compromise is to close early rather than close
for the whole day.

If they do close, most hourly-wage employees will not be paid for the
day. It doesn't change the management personnel's income, though.
Post by Peter Moylan
Christmas Eve is not an official holiday in many places, but it's still
defined to be the entirety of the 24th of December.
Same as above.
2019-11-02 09:24:14 UTC
Post by Yurui Liu
Hi,
What does New Year's refer to? New Year's Eve or New Year's Day?
Is it a holiday?
I'd appreciate your help.
We don't often refer to "New Year's" in the US unless we are referring
to both. Otherwise, we say "New Year's Eve" or "New Year's Day".
In BrE we'd call it 'the New Year' without the apostrophe-s, if we're
referring to the two- or three-day period of celebration. As in AmE we
call the separate days 'New Year's Eve' and 'New Year's Day'.
2019-11-02 03:07:54 UTC
Post by Yurui Liu
Hi,
What does New Year's refer to? New Year's Eve or New Year's Day?
Is it a holiday?
I'd appreciate your help.
But if you are using this in a sentence, you will probably have to be
a little more specific.

New Year's refers to the entire period of New Year's Eve and New
Year's Day, so you need to spell it out. If you hear it used, you
might ask for clarification as in....

"Shall we get together for New Year's?"

("Do you mean the Eve or the Day?")
David Kleinecke
2019-11-02 04:59:20 UTC
Post by Yurui Liu
Hi,
What does New Year's refer to? New Year's Eve or New Year's Day?
Is it a holiday?
I'd appreciate your help.
But if you are using this in a sentence, you will probably have to be
a little more specific.
In my world New Year's means the eve. The day would be
New Year's Day and mostly remind people of the Rose Bowl -
parade and game.

I have fond memories of driving down to LA for the Rose
Bowl in 1947 and 8. Be sure - they told us - to visit
Clifton's and Knott's Berry Farm. Nothing much else in LA
was worth seeing. The Berry Farm really was worth seeing
and the food was good. Clifton's not so much.
("Do you mean the Eve or the Day?")
Mack A. Damia
2019-11-02 14:46:45 UTC
Post by Yurui Liu
Hi,
What does New Year's refer to? New Year's Eve or New Year's Day?
Is it a holiday?
I'd appreciate your help.
But if you are using this in a sentence, you will probably have to be
a little more specific.
New Year's refers to the entire period of New Year's Eve and New
Year's Day, so you need to spell it out. If you hear it used, you
might ask for clarification as in....
"Shall we get together for New Year's?"
("Do you mean the Eve or the Day?")
(Why would you get together for the day you don't wake up until noon or
so, when the party was the night before, except in Pasadena?)
Say, you could stay up with friends until 1 am, or meet them for
brekkie at 10 am.