Ambiguity on the web
2021-03-27 16:10:25 UTC
Seen elsewhere: "I enjoy feeding these grasshoppers every summer."

That accompanied photos of an orb spider.
2021-03-28 14:16:36 UTC
Seen elsewhere: "I enjoy feeding these grasshoppers every summer."
That accompanied photos of an orb spider.
Things are seldom what they seem;
Skim milk masquerades as cream.
Biters spin themselves as hoppers,
Murderers dress up as coppers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Nova_Scotia_attacks
Snidely
2021-03-28 17:52:26 UTC
Lo, on the 3/27/2021, Jerry Friedman did proclaim ...
Post by Jerry Friedman
Seen elsewhere: "I enjoy feeding these grasshoppers every summer."
That accompanied photos of an orb spider.
Sticky, sticky web.

I already knew the quote wasn't from a farmer surveying his crops.

As a colleague once told me about an incoming manager,
"He does very well in a suck-up, kick-down culture."
Bill in Vancouver
Chrysi Cat
2021-03-29 03:52:21 UTC
Post by Jerry Friedman
Seen elsewhere: "I enjoy feeding these grasshoppers every summer."
That accompanied photos of an orb spider.
Sticky, sticky web.
I already knew the quote wasn't from a farmer surveying his crops.
/dps
Amazingly, it took YOUR response to start realising the OP meant "I
enjoy feeding grasshoppers to these every summer".

Also, why would you hand-catch hoppers just to throw them into an
orb-web, and how do you find a non-abandoned one in the first place?
--
Chrysi Cat
Transgoddess, quick to anger. [she/her. Misgender and die].
2021-03-30 14:59:27 UTC
Post by Jerry Friedman
Seen elsewhere: "I enjoy feeding these grasshoppers every summer."
That accompanied photos of an orb spider.
Sticky, sticky web.
I already knew the quote wasn't from a farmer surveying his crops.
/dps
Amazingly, it took YOUR response to start realising the OP meant "I
enjoy feeding grasshoppers to these every summer".
Also, why would you hand-catch hoppers just to throw them into an
orb-web,
Because you hate grasshoppers, like spiders, or just want to see some
predator-prey drama? I believe the writer of that sentence is a teenage
boy in rural Kansas.
Post by Chrysi Cat
and how do you find a non-abandoned one in the first place?
I've found them.
2021-03-30 23:58:41 UTC
Post by Chrysi Cat
and how do you find a non-abandoned one in the first place?
I've found them.
I've walked into them.
2021-03-31 00:03:57 UTC
Post by Chrysi Cat
and how do you find a non-abandoned one in the first place?
I've found them.
I've walked into them.
I understand the bite can be painful, though in Australia, you're lucky if it
doesn't kill you.

Obaue: Biting insects can be unpleasant.

(Disclaimer: There is no implication or presupposition above that spiders
are insects. The author is fully aware that they're anarchists.)
2021-03-31 00:39:14 UTC
Post by Chrysi Cat
and how do you find a non-abandoned one in the first place?
I've found them.
I've walked into them.
I understand the bite can be painful, though in Australia, you're
lucky if it doesn't kill you.
What did not kill me made me stronger.
Post by Jerry Friedman
Obaue: Biting insects can be unpleasant.
I once accidentally bit a cockroach in half, and indeed it was
unpleasant, but I can never remember whether a cockroach is an insect.
2021-03-31 08:39:43 UTC
On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 00:39:14 GMT, Peter Moylan
Post by Jerry Friedman
(Disclaimer: There is no implication or presupposition above that
spiders are insects. The author is fully aware that they're
anarchists.)
I've had an earwig in my pint, but I didn't swallow.
2021-03-31 14:56:05 UTC
[inhabited orb webs]
I've walked into them.
I understand the bite can be painful, though in Australia, you're
lucky if it doesn't kill you.
What did not kill me made me stronger.
The spider was radioactive?
Obaue: Biting insects can be unpleasant.
I once accidentally bit a cockroach in half, and indeed it was
unpleasant, but I can never remember whether a cockroach is an insect.

I'll bet it was unpleasant! And yes, they're insects.
Adam Funk
2021-03-31 15:09:30 UTC
Post by Jerry Friedman
Obaue: Biting insects can be unpleasant.
I once accidentally bit a cockroach in half, and indeed it was
unpleasant, but I can never remember whether a cockroach is an insect.
I have to wonder how --- was it in some food?

(What's worse than finding a worm in your apple?
Finding half a worm.)

I (deliberately) ate some roasted insects (& maybe some other "bugs")
a few years ago. Samples were given out at an event promoting
entomophagy.

One of these days I'm going to make the potted woodlice recipe I found
on the WWW, but I don't think I can get away with it while there are
other people in the house.
--
And awful things are happening: we've let this drama fold,
and now the time has come at last to crush the motif of the rose.
Lewis
2021-03-31 19:15:56 UTC
Post by Adam Funk
I (deliberately) ate some roasted insects (& maybe some other "bugs")
a few years ago. Samples were given out at an event promoting
entomophagy.
I've had ants and crickets. Ants have a sort of lemon flavor and
crickets don't taste of much (but that might have been the wasabi
flavoring overpowering everything else).
Post by Adam Funk
One of these days I'm going to make the potted woodlice recipe I found
on the WWW, but I don't think I can get away with it while there are
other people in the house.
Oh, I've had grubs too. Unpleasant texture, no flavor at all.
There is nothing like puking with somebody to make you into old friends.
Peter Moylan
2021-04-01 01:21:23 UTC
Post by Adam Funk
Obaue: Biting insects can be unpleasant.
I once accidentally bit a cockroach in half, and indeed it was
unpleasant, but I can never remember whether a cockroach is an insect.
I have to wonder how --- was it in some food?
I got the munchies in the middle of the night, and got a packet of
potato chips (crisps) from the cupboard. Because I knew exactly where
they were, I didn't bother turning on the light. I took a mouthful of
chips, bit down, and ... I don't need to describe the rest.

I had forgotten that cockroaches are known for chewing through plastic bags.
Post by Adam Funk
(What's worse than finding a worm in your apple? Finding half a
worm.)
I (deliberately) ate some roasted insects (& maybe some other "bugs")
a few years ago. Samples were given out at an event promoting
entomophagy.
One of these days I'm going to make the potted woodlice recipe I
found on the WWW, but I don't think I can get away with it while
there are other people in the house.
Woodlice. Those would be the ones I know as slaters. I've never been
tempted to eat any.

Bardi grubs, also known as witchetty grubs, used to be popular with
Australia's indigenous people. I tried one once, barbecued. The taste
was OK, but I wasn't tempted to take a second.

I once watched a TV documentary in which an ethnic Vietnamese [1] took a
trip to Vietnam. On his way up-country to visit relatives he bought a
bag of tarantulas - I think they were tarantulas - as a gift for the
relatives. Apparently they're popular there as food.
2021-03-31 13:55:45 UTC
[orb spider webs]
Post by Chrysi Cat
and how do you find a non-abandoned one in the first place?
I've found them.
I've walked into them.
I understand the bite can be painful, though in Australia, you're lucky if it
doesn't kill you.
Obaue: Biting insects can be unpleasant.
(Disclaimer: There is no implication or presupposition above that spiders
are insects. The author is fully aware that they're anarchists.)
And atheists, too, so they would never be in sects.
Athena be damned
occam
"Ahh, grasshopper, you wanna' make snuff movie?"
Joy Beeson
2021-04-03 15:09:05 UTC
. . . and how do you find a non-abandoned one in the first place?
A spider web doesn't last long when maintenance slacks off.
--
Joy Beeson, U.S.A., mostly central Hoosier,
some Northern Indiana, Upstate New York, Florida, and Hawaii
The above message is a Usenet post.
Adam Funk
2021-03-31 15:02:06 UTC
Seen elsewhere: "I enjoy feeding these grasshoppers every summer."
That accompanied photos of an orb spider.
Seen elsewhere: "Spiders are the only web developers that like finding
bugs."
--
it's the nexus of the crisis
and the origin of storms
Peter Moylan
2021-04-01 01:23:22 UTC
Post by Adam Funk
Post by Jerry Friedman
Seen elsewhere: "I enjoy feeding these grasshoppers every summer."
That accompanied photos of an orb spider.
Seen elsewhere: "Spiders are the only web developers that like finding
bugs."
Such a cold finger
Beckons you to enter his world-wide web
But don't go in.