Cash winnings
2021-04-30 23:58:06 UTC
What's the significance of Jeopardy contestants having "cash winnings"
of $18,200 (or whatever)? I never see them carrying briefcases full of
bank notes around, as in some other shows.

I don't imagine it means "we swear they weren't paid by check".
--
Nancy had bitten her tongue to keep from asking any questions.
She was deeply afraid that Lundy would attempt to answer them,
-- Seanan McGuire, Every Heart a Doorway
Tony Cooper
2021-05-01 00:44:22 UTC
On Fri, 30 Apr 2021 19:58:06 -0400, Quinn C
Post by Quinn C
What's the significance of Jeopardy contestants having "cash winnings"
of $18,200 (or whatever)? I never see them carrying briefcases full of
bank notes around, as in some other shows.
I don't imagine it means "we swear they weren't paid by check".
Dunno for sure, but some game shows award cash prizes (checks) and/or
merchandise prizes. If a contestant wins, say, an automobile or a
trip, the contestant has to pay taxes on the fair market value. Taxes
on the cash, of course.
Tony Cooper Orlando Florida
CDB
2021-05-01 11:56:23 UTC
What's the significance of Jeopardy contestants having "cash
winnings" of $18,200 (or whatever)? I never see them carrying
briefcases full of bank notes around, as in some other shows.
I don't imagine it means "we swear they weren't paid by check".
Are you thinking of "Wheel of Fortune"? Prizes on "Jeopardy"* are
always in cash, while WoF contestants sometimes get vacation trips or cars.

*All right, "Jeopardy!".
So far, I think Anderson Cooper has been the best replacement for Trebek.
Peter T. Daniels
2021-05-01 14:23:27 UTC
What's the significance of Jeopardy contestants having "cash
winnings" of $18,200 (or whatever)? I never see them carrying
briefcases full of bank notes around, as in some other shows.
I don't imagine it means "we swear they weren't paid by check".
Are you thinking of "Wheel of Fortune"? Prizes on "Jeopardy"* are
always in cash, while WoF contestants sometimes get vacation trips or cars.
Always. These days, there are always two trips, a smaller one and
a bigger one. The car depends on the spin of the prize wheel at the end.
*All right, "Jeopardy!".
--
So far, I think Anderson Cooper has been the best replacement for Trebek.
I've been watching again to check on the "guest hosts." Aaron Rogers

I don't care for *Jeopardy!* because the clues tend to have nothing to
do with the correct questions. But I'm still delighted that no matter how
dumbed-down a Classical Music question is, they rarely get it right.

And thanks to Buzzr, I've seen quite a lot of Trebek from his earlier
days. He was _always_ smarmy and often hit on the women contestants,
especially on *Classic Concentration*. He was no Art Fleming. (Or,
*Concentration*-wise, Hugh Downs.)
CDB
2021-05-02 12:10:39 UTC
What's the significance of Jeopardy contestants having "cash
winnings" of $18,200 (or whatever)? I never see them carrying
briefcases full of bank notes around, as in some other shows. I
don't imagine it means "we swear they weren't paid by check".
Are you thinking of "Wheel of Fortune"? Prizes on "Jeopardy"* are
always in cash, while WoF contestants sometimes get vacation trips or cars.
Always. These days, there are always two trips, a smaller one and a
bigger one. The car depends on the spin of the prize wheel at the
end.
They are always offered. Sometimes contestants get them.

[de mortuis nil nisi bonum]
Peter T. Daniels
2021-05-02 13:46:37 UTC
What's the significance of Jeopardy contestants having "cash
winnings" of $18,200 (or whatever)? I never see them carrying
briefcases full of bank notes around, as in some other shows. I
don't imagine it means "we swear they weren't paid by check".
Are you thinking of "Wheel of Fortune"? Prizes on "Jeopardy"* are
always in cash, while WoF contestants sometimes get vacation trips or cars.
Always. These days, there are always two trips, a smaller one and a
bigger one. The car depends on the spin of the prize wheel at the
end.
They are always offered. Sometimes contestants get them.
That pertains to the cars.

The trips are always won, because there are no ties (or "no wins") on
*Wheel* -- every round is won by one of the contestants.
[de mortuis nil nisi bonum]
It was my opinion long before he mortated.
CDB
2021-05-03 12:23:09 UTC
What's the significance of Jeopardy contestants having "cash
winnings" of $18,200 (or whatever)? I never see them
carrying briefcases full of bank notes around, as in some
other shows. I don't imagine it means "we swear they weren't
paid by check".
Are you thinking of "Wheel of Fortune"? Prizes on "Jeopardy"*
are always in cash, while WoF contestants sometimes get
vacation trips or cars.
Always. These days, there are always two trips, a smaller one and
a bigger one. The car depends on the spin of the prize wheel at the end.
They are always offered. Sometimes contestants get them.
That pertains to the cars.
The trips are always won, because there are no ties (or "no wins")
on *Wheel* -- every round is won by one of the contestants.
This will be my last comment on that rather tedious quiz-show. A
contestant can win a trip, spin again, and hit "bankrupt". No trip that
trip.
Peter T. Daniels
2021-05-03 14:47:53 UTC
[...]
What a strange comment. If the round isn't over -- the puzzle hasn't
been solved -- no one has won anything yet. To be sure, in the first
puzzle the trip is on a wedge and can be lost with a Bankrupt. (But
is not taken away if they get a Bankrupt in a later puzzle, whereas
a Wild Card or a Million Dollar Wedge is.) But the prize in the Prize
Puzzle is always won (and the text of the puzzle itself usually alludes
in some way to the nature of the prize trip).
Mark Brader
2021-05-01 21:18:37 UTC
Are you thinking of "Wheel of Fortune"? Prizes on "Jeopardy"* are
always in cash, while WoF contestants sometimes get vacation trips or cars.
*All right, "Jeopardy!".
That was true on the original "Jeopardy!" that started in 1964, and it's
true again now, but from the 1984 revival of the show until May 2002,
the two non-winners received prizes, not cash. The last time they did
that, the second-place finisher won a 7-night Caribbean cruise and third
place won a 2-night trip to a Miami hotel.
--
Mark Brader What is it about
Toronto Haiku that people find so

2021-05-02 12:13:29 UTC
Are you thinking of "Wheel of Fortune"? Prizes on "Jeopardy"* are
always in cash, while WoF contestants sometimes get vacation trips or cars.
*All right, "Jeopardy!".
That was true on the original "Jeopardy!" that started in 1964, and
it's true again now, but from the 1984 revival of the show until May
2002, the two non-winners received prizes, not cash. The last time
they did that, the second-place finisher won a 7-night Caribbean
cruise and third place won a 2-night trip to a Miami hotel.
Ah. Maybe that was after I had stopped watching, for a while.
Fourth prize, a month at Mar-al-Lago.
Peter T. Daniels
2021-05-02 13:49:43 UTC
Are you thinking of "Wheel of Fortune"? Prizes on "Jeopardy"* are
always in cash, while WoF contestants sometimes get vacation trips or cars.
*All right, "Jeopardy!".
That was true on the original "Jeopardy!" that started in 1964, and
it's true again now, but from the 1984 revival of the show until May
2002, the two non-winners received prizes, not cash. The last time
they did that, the second-place finisher won a 7-night Caribbean
cruise and third place won a 2-night trip to a Miami hotel.
Ah. Maybe that was after I had stopped watching, for a while.
--
Fourth prize, a month at Mar-al-Lago.
Not in the running for the next two-week guest host, because
literacy is required.

It was shocking how many French words Anderson Cooper
mispronounced. Wouldn't a son of ultra-privilege have prepped
at a proper elite school, with languages, perhaps including at
least a year in Europe?
Tony Cooper
2021-05-02 14:26:25 UTC
On Sun, 2 May 2021 06:49:43 -0700 (PDT), "Peter T. Daniels"
[...]
Cooper prepped at the Dalton School in Manhattan. He traveled to
Africa, not Europe, after Dalton and then went to Yale and majored in
Political Science.
Tony Cooper Orlando Florida
Peter T. Daniels
2021-05-02 17:03:14 UTC
[...]
It is not credible that Dalton didn't require French (at least) for
graduation.

It is highly unlikely that a poli sci major at Yale could graduate
without having proven his ability to deal with 18th-19th-century
diplomatic correspondence.

It is not credible that the son of Gloria Vanderbilt did not spend
"quality time" in France, Italy, and wherever else fashion rules.

Wikipedia does not tell you everything.
Ken Blake
2021-05-01 15:27:56 UTC
What's the significance of Jeopardy contestants having "cash winnings"
of $18,200 (or whatever)? I never see them carrying briefcases full of
bank notes around, as in some other shows.
I don't imagine it means "we swear they weren't paid by check".
No, it doesn't mean they weren't paid by check. In this case a check is
considered to be a form of cash. What wouldn't be cash would be
something worth $18,200-- a house, a car, a necklace, etc.
2021-05-01 16:46:27 UTC
What's the significance of Jeopardy contestants having "cash winnings"
of $18,200 (or whatever)? I never see them carrying briefcases full of
bank notes around, as in some other shows.
I don't imagine it means "we swear they weren't paid by check".
No, it doesn't mean they weren't paid by check. In this case a check is
considered to be a form of cash. What wouldn't be cash would be
something worth $18,200-- a house, a car, a necklace, etc.
I'd like to see that house. Or rather, I wouldn't like to see that
house.
My pronouns are they/them
(or other gender-neutral ones)
Peter T. Daniels
2021-05-01 18:26:27 UTC
What's the significance of Jeopardy contestants having "cash winnings"
of $18,200 (or whatever)? I never see them carrying briefcases full of
bank notes around, as in some other shows.
I don't imagine it means "we swear they weren't paid by check".
No, it doesn't mean they weren't paid by check. In this case a check is
considered to be a form of cash. What wouldn't be cash would be
something worth $18,200-- a house, a car, a necklace, etc.
I'd like to see that house. Or rather, I wouldn't like to see that
house.
All this week (partnering with something called Margaritaville) *Wheel*
was giving away houses, and someone actually won one. Turns out
it wasn't that they'd build a house to your specifications on your land,
but that they'd give you a house in what seems to be either a resort
community or a retirement community in the Sun Belt (three locations
available), with a cash value of $375,000.
Ken Blake
2021-05-01 19:00:10 UTC
What's the significance of Jeopardy contestants having "cash winnings"
of $18,200 (or whatever)? I never see them carrying briefcases full of
bank notes around, as in some other shows.
I don't imagine it means "we swear they weren't paid by check".
No, it doesn't mean they weren't paid by check. In this case a check is
considered to be a form of cash. What wouldn't be cash would be
something worth $18,200-- a house, a car, a necklace, etc.
I'd like to see that house. Or rather, I wouldn't like to see that
house.
I expected a reply something like that. There are houses and there are
houses. And house prices very a lot in different parts of the world.

Also note that I replied to your message which included the phrase "or
whatever."