Black Credit
2019-11-23 16:41:42 UTC
Black Friday has long spilled over into Canada, even though it's not
our Thanksgiving week. Any opportunity to name a sale.

Now it seems to pop up even as far away (culturally) as Germany.
But I'm not sure my bank has quite gotten the hang of it when it
advertises ...

"Black Credit Week"

What do you think?

I feel I shouldn't tell my accountant.
--
Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct
in which the score is kept.
-- Doug Larson
Paul Carmichael
2019-11-23 17:56:25 UTC
Black Friday has long spilled over into Canada, even though it's not
our Thanksgiving week. Any opportunity to name a sale.
Now it seems to pop up even as far away (culturally) as Germany.
Here in Spain Black Friday starts on Monday.
--
Paul.

https://paulc.es
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2019-11-23 17:58:22 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by Quinn C
Black Friday has long spilled over into Canada, even though it's not
our Thanksgiving week. Any opportunity to name a sale.
Now it seems to pop up even as far away (culturally) as Germany.
Here in Spain Black Friday starts on Monday.
I think it exists in France, but I ignore it.
2019-11-24 11:58:47 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by Quinn C
Black Friday has long spilled over into Canada, even though it's not
our Thanksgiving week. Any opportunity to name a sale.
Now it seems to pop up even as far away (culturally) as Germany.
Here in Spain Black Friday starts on Monday.
I think it exists in France, but I ignore it.
Yes it does. "La Black Friday" if you please. I heard it on French radio
today driving to Metz.

P.S. Why 'la' as opposed to 'le' Black Friday is a puzzle to me.
CDB
2019-11-24 13:33:05 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by Quinn C
Black Friday has long spilled over into Canada, even though
it's not our Thanksgiving week. Any opportunity to name a
sale.
Now it seems to pop up even as far away (culturally) as
Germany.
Here in Spain Black Friday starts on Monday.
I think it exists in France, but I ignore it.
Yes it does. "La Black Friday" if you please. I heard it on French
radio today driving to Metz.
P.S. Why 'la' as opposed to 'le' Black Friday is a puzzle to me.
A very quick google (one page each) of "la black friday en france" and
"la black friday au quebec" turned up nothing but masculines. I was
thinking it might have been "la [vente] Black Friday", but maybe
somebody just got it wrong.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2019-11-24 14:00:42 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by Quinn C
Black Friday has long spilled over into Canada, even though it's not
our Thanksgiving week. Any opportunity to name a sale.
Now it seems to pop up even as far away (culturally) as Germany.
Here in Spain Black Friday starts on Monday.
I think it exists in France, but I ignore it.
Yes it does. "La Black Friday" if you please. I heard it on French radio
today driving to Metz.
P.S. Why 'la' as opposed to 'le' Black Friday is a puzzle to me.
I don't think there's any rule that allows you guess what gender the
French will attribute to a noun imported from English.

Probably there is no way to guess that Metz is pronounced like "mess".
2019-11-24 01:10:15 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by Quinn C
Black Friday has long spilled over into Canada, even though it's
not our Thanksgiving week. Any opportunity to name a sale.
Now it seems to pop up even as far away (culturally) as Germany.
Here in Spain Black Friday starts on Monday.
Here in Australia some advertisers are using it, but I suspect that the
readers of the ads don't know what they are talking about. To us, Black
Friday has always been the date of a major disaster. You don't go
shopping on Black Friday, you either stay and protect your home or seek
refuge somewhere.
2019-11-24 06:35:03 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by Quinn C
Black Friday has long spilled over into Canada, even though it's
not our Thanksgiving week. Any opportunity to name a sale.
Now it seems to pop up even as far away (culturally) as Germany.
Here in Spain Black Friday starts on Monday.
Here in Australia some advertisers are using it, but I suspect that the
readers of the ads don't know what they are talking about. To us, Black
Friday has always been the date of a major disaster. You don't go
shopping on Black Friday, you either stay and protect your home or seek
refuge somewhere.
I believe Tony has previously chronicled the major disaster of our Black Friday.
Even with the day having expanded to days, there can still be serious injuries.

(The other story is circulated by fans of accountants.)

2019-11-24 07:06:18 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by Quinn C
Black Friday has long spilled over into Canada, even though it's
not our Thanksgiving week. Any opportunity to name a sale.
Now it seems to pop up even as far away (culturally) as Germany.
Here in Spain Black Friday starts on Monday.
Here in Australia some advertisers are using it, but I suspect that the
readers of the ads don't know what they are talking about. To us, Black
Friday has always been the date of a major disaster. You don't go
shopping on Black Friday, you either stay and protect your home or seek
refuge somewhere.
Somehow I don't think it would go down well in Northern Ireland, but no
doubt Peter Duncanson can tell us the reality.
b***@shaw.ca
2019-11-24 07:10:24 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by Quinn C
Black Friday has long spilled over into Canada, even though it's
not our Thanksgiving week. Any opportunity to name a sale.
Now it seems to pop up even as far away (culturally) as Germany.
Here in Spain Black Friday starts on Monday.
Here in Australia some advertisers are using it, but I suspect that the
readers of the ads don't know what they are talking about. To us, Black
Friday has always been the date of a major disaster. You don't go
shopping on Black Friday, you either stay and protect your home or seek
refuge somewhere.
There are a couple of dozen Black Fridays commemorated in various places
around the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday

2019-11-24 11:26:14 UTC
Post by b***@shaw.ca
Post by Peter Moylan
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by Quinn C
Black Friday has long spilled over into Canada, even though
it's not our Thanksgiving week. Any opportunity to name a
sale.
Now it seems to pop up even as far away (culturally) as
Germany.
Here in Spain Black Friday starts on Monday.
Here in Australia some advertisers are using it, but I suspect that
the readers of the ads don't know what they are talking about. To
us, Black Friday has always been the date of a major disaster. You
don't go shopping on Black Friday, you either stay and protect your
home or seek refuge somewhere.
There are a couple of dozen Black Fridays commemorated in various
places around the world.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday
I note that almost all of them are dates of disasters. The US usage is
out of step with the rest of the world.
2019-11-24 12:03:23 UTC
Post by b***@shaw.ca
Post by Peter Moylan
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by Quinn C
[...]
That's what happens when you try too hard not be be racist in a PC
world. Discount Friday is more descriptive.
occam
2019-11-24 12:06:11 UTC
Post by b***@shaw.ca
Post by Peter Moylan
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by Quinn C
Black Friday has long spilled over into Canada, even though it's
not our Thanksgiving week. Any opportunity to name a sale.
Now it seems to pop up even as far away (culturally) as Germany.
Here in Spain Black Friday starts on Monday.
Here in Australia some advertisers are using it, but I suspect that the
readers of the ads don't know what they are talking about. To us, Black
Friday has always been the date of a major disaster. You don't go
shopping on Black Friday, you either stay and protect your home or seek
refuge somewhere.
There are a couple of dozen Black Fridays commemorated in various places
around the world.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday
For a moment I thought they had missed out one instance, but it turned
out my memory was playing tricks.

"19 October 1987 – Black Monday (1987) Stock markets around the world
crashed, shedding a huge value in a very short time."
Garrett Wollman
2019-11-24 18:31:29 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by Quinn C
Black Friday has long spilled over into Canada, even though it's
not our Thanksgiving week. Any opportunity to name a sale.
Now it seems to pop up even as far away (culturally) as Germany.
Here in Spain Black Friday starts on Monday.
Here in Australia some advertisers are using it, but I suspect that the
readers of the ads don't know what they are talking about.
I suspect that the ubiquity of US-based advertising and consumer
culture is such that businesses well outside of our direct ambit
figure that they might as well get some benefit from the overwash of
"Black Friday" advertising by having their own sales. "Black Friday"
is followed by "Small Business Saturday", a promotion driven almost
entirely by American Express, even though most small businesses don't
accept Amex cards, and then "Cyber Monday" which is a reference to the
fact that 20 years ago we didn't have smartphones and many
white-collar workers stole time and bandwidth from their employers to
shop while on the job. The latter two are new within my adult
lifetime, and I think much of the "Black Friday" fuss is, too -- we
have a much more nationalized media and retailing environment now than
we did even in the 1980s.

The only thing I'm planning on buying on "Black Friday" is dinner, in
the airport as I wait for my flight back home. (I sure hope IAH has
better in-terminal food options than HOU does, although it's looking
like this is the only time in my life that it will ever matter.)

-GAWollman
***@bimajority.org| act to remove constraint from the future. This is
2019-11-24 22:18:42 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
The only thing I'm planning on buying on "Black Friday" is dinner, in
the airport as I wait for my flight back home. (I sure hope IAH has
better in-terminal food options than HOU does, although it's looking
like this is the only time in my life that it will ever matter.)
Don't worry. I understand there is a Chick-fil-A emporium there.
2019-11-24 22:59:31 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
The only thing I'm planning on buying on "Black Friday" is dinner, in
the airport as I wait for my flight back home. (I sure hope IAH has
better in-terminal food options than HOU does, although it's looking
like this is the only time in my life that it will ever matter.)
Don't worry. I understand there is a Chick-fil-A emporium there.
Garrett may not be a fan of Chick-fil-A. There are those who boycott
the chain, and they haven't been appeased by the Chick-fil-A
Foundation's announcement of changes in who will receive their
donations.
2019-11-24 06:36:56 UTC
Black Friday has long spilled over into Canada, even though it's not
our Thanksgiving week. Any opportunity to name a sale.
Now it seems to pop up even as far away (culturally) as Germany.
But I'm not sure my bank has quite gotten the hang of it when it
advertises ...
"Black Credit Week"
What do you think?
I feel I shouldn't tell my accountant.
It may be a way of routing CIA payments. Stay out of Chile for now.

Should Black Credit Week be marked with a Red Letter Day on the calendar?

And under what rubric should it fall?...r
Jerry Friedman
2019-11-24 22:34:48 UTC
Black Friday has long spilled over into Canada, even though it's not
our Thanksgiving week. Any opportunity to name a sale.
Now it seems to pop up even as far away (culturally) as Germany.
But I'm not sure my bank has quite gotten the hang of it when it
advertises ...
"Black Credit Week"
What do you think?
I feel I shouldn't tell my accountant.
It may be a way of routing CIA payments.  Stay out of Chile for now.
Should Black Credit Week be marked with a Red Letter Day on the calendar?
And under what rubric should it fall?...r
Maybe something in ruby (that is, miniature) type.