Black Credit
2019-11-23 16:41:42 UTC
Black Friday has long spilled over into Canada, even though it's not
our Thanksgiving week. Any opportunity to name a sale.

Now it seems to pop up even as far away (culturally) as Germany.
But I'm not sure my bank has quite gotten the hang of it when it
advertises ...

"Black Credit Week"

What do you think?

I feel I shouldn't tell my accountant.
--
Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct
in which the score is kept.
-- Doug Larson
Paul Carmichael
2019-11-23 17:56:25 UTC
Black Friday has long spilled over into Canada, even though it's not
our Thanksgiving week. Any opportunity to name a sale.
Now it seems to pop up even as far away (culturally) as Germany.
Here in Spain Black Friday starts on Monday.
--
Paul.

https://paulc.es
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2019-11-23 17:58:22 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by Quinn C
Black Friday has long spilled over into Canada, even though it's not
our Thanksgiving week. Any opportunity to name a sale.
Now it seems to pop up even as far away (culturally) as Germany.
Here in Spain Black Friday starts on Monday.
I think it exists in France, but I ignore it.
2019-11-24 11:58:47 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by Quinn C
Black Friday has long spilled over into Canada, even though it's not
our Thanksgiving week. Any opportunity to name a sale.
Now it seems to pop up even as far away (culturally) as Germany.
Here in Spain Black Friday starts on Monday.
I think it exists in France, but I ignore it.
Yes it does. "La Black Friday" if you please. I heard it on French radio
today driving to Metz.

P.S. Why 'la' as opposed to 'le' Black Friday is a puzzle to me.
CDB
2019-11-24 13:33:05 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by Quinn C
Black Friday has long spilled over into Canada, even though
it's not our Thanksgiving week. Any opportunity to name a
sale.
Now it seems to pop up even as far away (culturally) as
Germany.
Here in Spain Black Friday starts on Monday.
I think it exists in France, but I ignore it.
Yes it does. "La Black Friday" if you please. I heard it on French
radio today driving to Metz.
P.S. Why 'la' as opposed to 'le' Black Friday is a puzzle to me.
A very quick google (one page each) of "la black friday en france" and
"la black friday au quebec" turned up nothing but masculines. I was
thinking it might have been "la [vente] Black Friday", but maybe
somebody just got it wrong.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2019-11-24 14:00:42 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by Quinn C
Black Friday has long spilled over into Canada, even though it's not
our Thanksgiving week. Any opportunity to name a sale.
Now it seems to pop up even as far away (culturally) as Germany.
Here in Spain Black Friday starts on Monday.
I think it exists in France, but I ignore it.
Yes it does. "La Black Friday" if you please. I heard it on French radio
today driving to Metz.
P.S. Why 'la' as opposed to 'le' Black Friday is a puzzle to me.
I don't think there's any rule that allows you guess what gender the
French will attribute to a noun imported from English.

Probably there is no way to guess that Metz is pronounced like "mess".
2019-11-25 00:04:31 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by Quinn C
Black Friday has long spilled over into Canada, even though it's not
our Thanksgiving week. Any opportunity to name a sale.
Now it seems to pop up even as far away (culturally) as Germany.
Here in Spain Black Friday starts on Monday.
I think it exists in France, but I ignore it.
Yes it does. "La Black Friday" if you please. I heard it on French radio
today driving to Metz.
P.S. Why 'la' as opposed to 'le' Black Friday is a puzzle to me.
Perhaps it's a question of whether you view it as un jour or une journée.
2019-11-25 10:14:07 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by Quinn C
Black Friday has long spilled over into Canada, even though it's not
our Thanksgiving week. Any opportunity to name a sale.
Now it seems to pop up even as far away (culturally) as Germany.
Here in Spain Black Friday starts on Monday.
I think it exists in France, but I ignore it.
Yes it does. "La Black Friday" if you please. I heard it on French radio
today driving to Metz.
P.S. Why 'la' as opposed to 'le' Black Friday is a puzzle to me.
Perhaps it's a question of whether you view it as un jour or une journée.
You may have something there. No explain why "vagin" is masculine and
"verge" is feminine.
2019-11-24 01:10:15 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by Quinn C
Black Friday has long spilled over into Canada, even though it's
not our Thanksgiving week. Any opportunity to name a sale.
Now it seems to pop up even as far away (culturally) as Germany.
Here in Spain Black Friday starts on Monday.
Here in Australia some advertisers are using it, but I suspect that the
readers of the ads don't know what they are talking about. To us, Black
Friday has always been the date of a major disaster. You don't go
shopping on Black Friday, you either stay and protect your home or seek
refuge somewhere.
2019-11-24 06:35:03 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by Quinn C
Black Friday has long spilled over into Canada, even though it's
not our Thanksgiving week. Any opportunity to name a sale.
Now it seems to pop up even as far away (culturally) as Germany.
Here in Spain Black Friday starts on Monday.
Here in Australia some advertisers are using it, but I suspect that the
readers of the ads don't know what they are talking about. To us, Black
Friday has always been the date of a major disaster. You don't go
shopping on Black Friday, you either stay and protect your home or seek
refuge somewhere.
I believe Tony has previously chronicled the major disaster of our Black Friday.
Even with the day having expanded to days, there can still be serious injuries.

(The other story is circulated by fans of accountants.)

2019-11-24 07:06:18 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by Quinn C
Black Friday has long spilled over into Canada, even though it's
not our Thanksgiving week. Any opportunity to name a sale.
Now it seems to pop up even as far away (culturally) as Germany.
Here in Spain Black Friday starts on Monday.
Here in Australia some advertisers are using it, but I suspect that the
readers of the ads don't know what they are talking about. To us, Black
Friday has always been the date of a major disaster. You don't go
shopping on Black Friday, you either stay and protect your home or seek
refuge somewhere.
Somehow I don't think it would go down well in Northern Ireland, but no
doubt Peter Duncanson can tell us the reality.
b***@shaw.ca
2019-11-24 07:10:24 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by Quinn C
Black Friday has long spilled over into Canada, even though it's
not our Thanksgiving week. Any opportunity to name a sale.
Now it seems to pop up even as far away (culturally) as Germany.
Here in Spain Black Friday starts on Monday.
Here in Australia some advertisers are using it, but I suspect that the
readers of the ads don't know what they are talking about. To us, Black
Friday has always been the date of a major disaster. You don't go
shopping on Black Friday, you either stay and protect your home or seek
refuge somewhere.
There are a couple of dozen Black Fridays commemorated in various places
around the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday

2019-11-24 11:26:14 UTC
Post by b***@shaw.ca
Post by Peter Moylan
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by Quinn C
Black Friday has long spilled over into Canada, even though
it's not our Thanksgiving week. Any opportunity to name a
sale.
Now it seems to pop up even as far away (culturally) as
Germany.
Here in Spain Black Friday starts on Monday.
Here in Australia some advertisers are using it, but I suspect that
the readers of the ads don't know what they are talking about. To
us, Black Friday has always been the date of a major disaster. You
don't go shopping on Black Friday, you either stay and protect your
home or seek refuge somewhere.
There are a couple of dozen Black Fridays commemorated in various
places around the world.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday
I note that almost all of them are dates of disasters. The US usage is
out of step with the rest of the world.
2019-11-24 12:03:23 UTC
Post by b***@shaw.ca
Post by Peter Moylan
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by Quinn C
[...]
That's what happens when you try too hard not be be racist in a PC
world. Discount Friday is more descriptive.
Cheryl
2019-11-25 13:13:12 UTC
Post by b***@shaw.ca
Post by Peter Moylan
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by Quinn C
[...]
But still not entirely correct - to judge by the Canadian offshoot, it
occurs on many days that are not Fridays. Or so it seems to me; I've
been making a point of avoiding any kind of sale that seems likely to
attract big crowds and long lineups.
Cheryl
Peter T. Daniels
2019-11-25 14:28:11 UTC
Post by Cheryl
Post by occam
That's what happens when you try too hard not be be racist in a PC
world. Discount Friday is more descriptive.
But still not entirely correct - to judge by the Canadian offshoot, it
occurs on many days that are not Fridays. Or so it seems to me; I've
been making a point of avoiding any kind of sale that seems likely to
attract big crowds and long lineups.
While Walmart is rather traditionally advertising that Black Friday
starts at 6 pm on Thanksgiving Thursday, some national advertisers
(mainly car dealers, it seems) are advertising "Black Friday Week"
or more.
occam
2019-11-24 12:06:11 UTC
Post by b***@shaw.ca
Post by Peter Moylan
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by Quinn C
Black Friday has long spilled over into Canada, even though it's
not our Thanksgiving week. Any opportunity to name a sale.
Now it seems to pop up even as far away (culturally) as Germany.
Here in Spain Black Friday starts on Monday.
Here in Australia some advertisers are using it, but I suspect that the
readers of the ads don't know what they are talking about. To us, Black
Friday has always been the date of a major disaster. You don't go
shopping on Black Friday, you either stay and protect your home or seek
refuge somewhere.
There are a couple of dozen Black Fridays commemorated in various places
around the world.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday
For a moment I thought they had missed out one instance, but it turned
out my memory was playing tricks.

"19 October 1987 – Black Monday (1987) Stock markets around the world
crashed, shedding a huge value in a very short time."
Garrett Wollman
2019-11-24 18:31:29 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by Quinn C
Black Friday has long spilled over into Canada, even though it's
not our Thanksgiving week. Any opportunity to name a sale.
Now it seems to pop up even as far away (culturally) as Germany.
Here in Spain Black Friday starts on Monday.
Here in Australia some advertisers are using it, but I suspect that the
readers of the ads don't know what they are talking about.
I suspect that the ubiquity of US-based advertising and consumer
culture is such that businesses well outside of our direct ambit
figure that they might as well get some benefit from the overwash of
"Black Friday" advertising by having their own sales. "Black Friday"
is followed by "Small Business Saturday", a promotion driven almost
entirely by American Express, even though most small businesses don't
accept Amex cards, and then "Cyber Monday" which is a reference to the
fact that 20 years ago we didn't have smartphones and many
white-collar workers stole time and bandwidth from their employers to
shop while on the job. The latter two are new within my adult
lifetime, and I think much of the "Black Friday" fuss is, too -- we
have a much more nationalized media and retailing environment now than
we did even in the 1980s.

The only thing I'm planning on buying on "Black Friday" is dinner, in
the airport as I wait for my flight back home. (I sure hope IAH has
better in-terminal food options than HOU does, although it's looking
like this is the only time in my life that it will ever matter.)

-GAWollman
***@bimajority.org| act to remove constraint from the future. This is
2019-11-24 22:18:42 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
The only thing I'm planning on buying on "Black Friday" is dinner, in
the airport as I wait for my flight back home. (I sure hope IAH has
better in-terminal food options than HOU does, although it's looking
like this is the only time in my life that it will ever matter.)
Don't worry. I understand there is a Chick-fil-A emporium there.
2019-11-24 22:59:31 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
The only thing I'm planning on buying on "Black Friday" is dinner, in
the airport as I wait for my flight back home. (I sure hope IAH has
better in-terminal food options than HOU does, although it's looking
like this is the only time in my life that it will ever matter.)
Don't worry. I understand there is a Chick-fil-A emporium there.
Garrett may not be a fan of Chick-fil-A. There are those who boycott
the chain, and they haven't been appeased by the Chick-fil-A
Foundation's announcement of changes in who will receive their
donations.
Garrett Wollman
2019-11-25 00:39:12 UTC
Garrett may not be a fan of Chick-fil-A. There are those who boycott
the chain, and they haven't been appeased by the Chick-fil-A
Foundation's announcement of changes in who will receive their
donations.
I generally expect 1,000-calorie meals to be a bit more satisfying
than just a chicken sandwich. But that thing too.

2019-11-25 14:15:04 UTC
Don't worry. I understand there is a Chick-fil-A emporium there.
Garrett may not be a fan of Chick-fil-A. There are those who boycott
the chain, and they haven't been appeased by the Chick-fil-A
Foundation's announcement of changes in who will receive their
donations.
Lookit T*ny C**p*r being all oblique about someone admitting to
homophobia and attempting to evade the well-deserved boycott.
Kerr-Mudd,John
2019-11-25 10:56:38 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
The only thing I'm planning on buying on "Black Friday" is dinner, in
the airport as I wait for my flight back home. (I sure hope IAH has
better in-terminal food options than HOU does, although it's looking
like this is the only time in my life that it will ever matter.)
Don't worry. I understand there is a Chick-fil-A emporium there.
For a horrible moment I thought you said there was one Over Here.
2019-11-25 09:29:17 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Peter Moylan
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by Quinn C
Black Friday has long spilled over into Canada, even though it's
not our Thanksgiving week. Any opportunity to name a sale.
Now it seems to pop up even as far away (culturally) as Germany.
Here in Spain Black Friday starts on Monday.
Here in Australia some advertisers are using it, but I suspect that the
readers of the ads don't know what they are talking about.
I suspect that the ubiquity of US-based advertising and consumer
culture is such that businesses well outside of our direct ambit
figure that they might as well get some benefit from the overwash of
"Black Friday" advertising by having their own sales.
Correct, there is no avoiding it,
in the fields of computer hardware, phones, cameras etc.
Post by Garrett Wollman
"Black Friday"
is followed by "Small Business Saturday", a promotion driven almost
entirely by American Express, even though most small businesses don't
accept Amex cards, and then "Cyber Monday" which is a reference to the
fact that 20 years ago we didn't have smartphones and many
white-collar workers stole time and bandwidth from their employers to
shop while on the job. The latter two are new within my adult
lifetime, and I think much of the "Black Friday" fuss is, too -- we
have a much more nationalized media and retailing environment now than
we did even in the 1980s.
AmEx is rather unknown in Europe, and acceptance is limilted.
It's a dinosaur.
Visiting Americans may as well leave it at home,
and take Visa or Mastercard instead.
Post by Garrett Wollman
The only thing I'm planning on buying on "Black Friday" is dinner, in
the airport as I wait for my flight back home. (I sure hope IAH has
better in-terminal food options than HOU does, although it's looking
like this is the only time in my life that it will ever matter.)
Whatever, it wil still be airport dinner,

Just how young are you? Unfamiliar with Travelers' Cheques?
Janet
2019-11-25 21:44:46 UTC
AmEx is rather unknown in Europe, and acceptance is limilted.
It's a dinosaur.
Visiting Americans may as well leave it at home,
and take Visa or Mastercard instead.
Just how young are you? Unfamiliar with Travelers' Cheques?
Went out decades ago. Good luck trying to use those in shops hotels
restaurants etc

Janet.
Kerr-Mudd,John
2019-11-25 21:47:31 UTC
Post by Janet
AmEx is rather unknown in Europe, and acceptance is limilted.
It's a dinosaur.
Visiting Americans may as well leave it at home,
and take Visa or Mastercard instead.
Just how young are you? Unfamiliar with Travelers' Cheques?
Went out decades ago. Good luck trying to use those in shops hotels
restaurants etc
Hope you've saved up your Green Shield stamps and Luncheon Vouchers.
Richard Heathfield
2019-11-25 22:20:22 UTC
Post by Kerr-Mudd,John
Post by Janet
AmEx is rather unknown in Europe, and acceptance is limilted.
It's a dinosaur.
Visiting Americans may as well leave it at home,
and take Visa or Mastercard instead.
Just how young are you? Unfamiliar with Travelers' Cheques?
Went out decades ago. Good luck trying to use those in shops hotels
restaurants etc
Hope you've saved up your Green Shield stamps and Luncheon Vouchers.
"Well worth collecting those stamps, my goodness!" said Michael
Flanders. He then turned to Donald Swann and said, "You know, that
really is a very nice suit."
--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk
Sig line 4 vacant - apply within
Jerry Friedman
2019-11-25 22:32:20 UTC
Post by Kerr-Mudd,John
Post by Janet
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Just how young are you? Unfamiliar with Travelers' Cheques?
Went out decades ago. Good luck trying to use those in shops hotels
restaurants etc
Hope you've saved up your Green Shield stamps and Luncheon Vouchers.
Knights of the Green Shield stamp and shout.
Jerry Friedman can't tell you where your country lies.
charles
2019-11-25 22:01:30 UTC
Post by Janet
AmEx is rather unknown in Europe, and acceptance is limilted.
It's a dinosaur.
Visiting Americans may as well leave it at home,
and take Visa or Mastercard instead.
Just how young are you? Unfamiliar with Travelers' Cheques?
Went out decades ago. Good luck trying to use those in shops hotels
restaurants etc
I think the last time I used them was in 1979.
2019-11-26 03:16:35 UTC
Post by charles
In article
AmEx is rather unknown in Europe, and acceptance is limilted.
It's a dinosaur. Visiting Americans may as well leave it at
home, and take Visa or Mastercard instead.
Just how young are you? Unfamiliar with Travelers' Cheques?
Went out decades ago. Good luck trying to use those in shops
hotels restaurants etc
I think the last time I used them was in 1979.
I was caught out once in Italy, possibly in the 1980s. I had been
assured that I didn't need to carry much cash because I could use
American Express for everything. Big mistake! Hardly anyone had even
heard of it. After being sent from place to place around Torino I
finally found a travel agency that was willing to give me a cash advance
at a ruinous rate of exchange.

That, I think, was what prompted me to cancel my American Express card.
2019-11-26 09:03:54 UTC
Post by charles
In article
AmEx is rather unknown in Europe, and acceptance is limilted.
It's a dinosaur. Visiting Americans may as well leave it at
home, and take Visa or Mastercard instead.
Just how young are you? Unfamiliar with Travelers' Cheques?
Went out decades ago. Good luck trying to use those in shops
hotels restaurants etc
I think the last time I used them was in 1979.
I was caught out once in Italy, possibly in the 1980s. I had been
assured that I didn't need to carry much cash because I could use
American Express for everything. Big mistake! Hardly anyone had even
heard of it. After being sent from place to place around Torino I
finally found a travel agency that was willing to give me a cash advance
at a ruinous rate of exchange.
Italy can be a problem, even with dollars in cash. In 1987 we stopped
in Cremona on the way to Hungary. For some reason my wife had lots of
dollars and tried to change some in a bank. This proved to be a highly
complex operation as they couldn't understand why a Chilean living in
France would have dollars. This was at about 11.30 and they said come
back in the afternoon when a more expert person will be here. So we
went into the Centro Storico to have lunch, when our daughter, then
three, discovered ñoquis (or gnocchi, as the Italians for some reason
call them). In the afternoon the expert in the bank managed to
calculate what $100 corresponded to in lira.
2019-11-26 08:49:01 UTC
Post by Janet
AmEx is rather unknown in Europe, and acceptance is limilted.
It's a dinosaur.
Visiting Americans may as well leave it at home,
and take Visa or Mastercard instead.
Not so convenient in the Netherlands. My daughter has said that she has
found it difficult to find shops there, or even car-rental places, that
accept credit cards. No problem elsewhere in Europe, however.
Post by Janet
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Just how young are you? Unfamiliar with Travelers' Cheques?
Went out decades ago. Good luck trying to use those in shops hotels
restaurants etc
Back in 1974 Lloyds Bank persuaded me to take some of their Travellers'
Cheques with me to California. I couldn't use them anywhere, not even
in a branch of Lloyds Bank that I found, to my surprise, in some place
in southern California -- Anaheim, probably.
2019-11-24 06:36:56 UTC
Black Friday has long spilled over into Canada, even though it's not
our Thanksgiving week. Any opportunity to name a sale.
Now it seems to pop up even as far away (culturally) as Germany.
But I'm not sure my bank has quite gotten the hang of it when it
advertises ...
"Black Credit Week"
What do you think?
I feel I shouldn't tell my accountant.
It may be a way of routing CIA payments. Stay out of Chile for now.

Should Black Credit Week be marked with a Red Letter Day on the calendar?

And under what rubric should it fall?...r
Jerry Friedman
2019-11-24 22:34:48 UTC
Black Friday has long spilled over into Canada, even though it's not
our Thanksgiving week. Any opportunity to name a sale.
Now it seems to pop up even as far away (culturally) as Germany.
But I'm not sure my bank has quite gotten the hang of it when it
advertises ...
"Black Credit Week"
What do you think?
I feel I shouldn't tell my accountant.
It may be a way of routing CIA payments.  Stay out of Chile for now.
Should Black Credit Week be marked with a Red Letter Day on the calendar?
And under what rubric should it fall?...r
Maybe something in ruby (that is, miniature) type.
2019-11-26 08:23:36 UTC
Jerry Friedman pounded on thar keyboard to tell us
Black Friday has long spilled over into Canada, even though it's not
our Thanksgiving week. Any opportunity to name a sale.
Now it seems to pop up even as far away (culturally) as Germany.
But I'm not sure my bank has quite gotten the hang of it when it
advertises ...
"Black Credit Week"
What do you think?
I feel I shouldn't tell my accountant.
It may be a way of routing CIA payments.  Stay out of Chile for now.
Should Black Credit Week be marked with a Red Letter Day on the calendar?
And under what rubric should it fall?...r
Maybe something in ruby (that is, miniature) type.
Agate what you mean, I think.

"I'm glad unicorns don't ever need upgrades."
"We are as up as it is possible to get graded!"
_Phoebe and Her Unicorn_, 2016.05.15
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2019-11-26 09:05:12 UTC
Post by Snidely
Jerry Friedman pounded on thar keyboard to tell us
Black Friday has long spilled over into Canada, even though it's not
our Thanksgiving week. Any opportunity to name a sale.
Now it seems to pop up even as far away (culturally) as Germany.
But I'm not sure my bank has quite gotten the hang of it when it
advertises ...
"Black Credit Week"
What do you think?
I feel I shouldn't tell my accountant.
It may be a way of routing CIA payments.  Stay out of Chile for now.
Should Black Credit Week be marked with a Red Letter Day on the calendar?
And under what rubric should it fall?...r
Maybe something in ruby (that is, miniature) type.
Agate what you mean, I think.
I don't, it's opalless.
Richard Heathfield
2019-11-26 09:39:48 UTC
Post by Snidely
Jerry Friedman pounded on thar keyboard to tell us
Black Friday has long spilled over into Canada, even though it's not
our Thanksgiving week. Any opportunity to name a sale.
Now it seems to pop up even as far away (culturally) as Germany.
But I'm not sure my bank has quite gotten the hang of it when it
advertises ...
"Black Credit Week"
What do you think?
I feel I shouldn't tell my accountant.
It may be a way of routing CIA payments.  Stay out of Chile for now.
Should Black Credit Week be marked with a Red Letter Day on the calendar?
And under what rubric should it fall?...r
Maybe something in ruby (that is, miniature) type.
Agate what you mean, I think.
I don't, it's opalless.
Stone me, Athel; that really was too, too bad - onyxly!